Wireless Tether?

Search This thread

guod2002

Dec 26, 2010
Strasburg, VA
To answer your question, No, and seriously, look around before you ask, if this worked there would not be threads on reverse engineering the wireless tether feature, how to get tethering to work and such, these multiple threads are getting a bit ridiculous.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

phydo

Apr 11, 2010
Lebanon, NJ
To answer your question, No, and seriously, look around before you ask, if this worked there would not be threads on reverse engineering the wireless tether feature, how to get tethering to work and such, these multiple threads are getting a bit ridiculous.

Some people like to reverse engineer stuff for fun. Speak from your own experience perspective not everyone else's.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

guod2002

Dec 26, 2010
Strasburg, VA
Lol it's not like he asked if it's safe to swallow Dynamite. Not everyone is as advanced as you buddy.

Some people like to reverse engineer stuff for fun. Speak from your own experience perspective not everyone else's.

Not everyone is as advanced as me? 1st off I'm not very "advanced", I simply have made a common observation that there are numerous threads on this topic already, which probably shouldn't have been posted in development to begin with, but that would be for a Mod to decide. The point of a forum as far as I'm aware is ultimately the exchange of information, if information of value is hidden amongst dozens of repeat threads, doesn't that hinder users in their attempts to find information that others have posted? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the forum? I'm not bashing the OP, I didn't call him/her names or imply he/she lacked intelligence, I answered their question first and secondly brought something to his/her attention that would probably benefit the community if prevented in the future. And it's not just my perspective when facts support it.

Last edited:
Reactions: razorloves

frostincredible

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
Florida
Not everyone is as advanced as me? 1st off I'm not very "advanced", I simply have made a common observation that there are numerous threads on this topic already, which probably shouldn't have been posted in development to begin with, but that would be for a Mod to decide. The point of a forum as far as I'm aware is ultimately the exchange of information, if information of value is hidden amongst dozens of repeat threads, doesn't that hinder users in their attempts to find information that others have posted? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the forum? I'm not bashing the OP, I didn't call him/her names or imply he/she lacked intelligence, I answered their question first and secondly brought something to his/her attention that would probably benefit the community if prevented in the future. And it's not just my perspective when facts support it.

You're right. I agree it doesn't belong in development as it does not forward development on the device. It ends in a question mark, should be in General, seeing as the Bionic doens't have a Q&A section for some reason. Or even Themes & Apps seeing as it's about an application.
But, on the other hand, it isn't necassarily true that if it worked there wouldn't be thread on reverse engineering the built-in WiFi HotSpot application. Maybe people don't want a 3rd party application for tethering, so they would use the reverse method. Or they are simply interested in a learning experience.
Both of you had a fault in the conversation. But this is only my opinion. I don't know everything and don't claim to. Just giving my 2 cents on the situation as we've had similar in the Droid Incredible forums before, where I was before here, hence my username.

guod2002

Dec 26, 2010
Strasburg, VA
You're right. I agree it doesn't belong in development as it does not forward development on the device. It ends in a question mark, should be in General, seeing as the Bionic doens't have a Q&A section for some reason. Or even Themes & Apps seeing as it's about an application.
But, on the other hand, it isn't necassarily true that if it worked there wouldn't be thread on reverse engineering the built-in WiFi HotSpot application. Maybe people don't want a 3rd party application for tethering, so they would use the reverse method. Or they are simply interested in a learning experience.
Both of you had a fault in the conversation. But this is only my opinion. I don't know everything and don't claim to. Just giving my 2 cents on the situation as we've had similar in the Droid Incredible forums before, where I was before here, hence my username.

You're looking at one thing I said, forget the bit about reverse engineering, there are still multiple threads about this subject, I wasn't basing my whole point on the reverse engineering thread.

frostincredible

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
Florida
You're looking at one thing I said, forget the bit about reverse engineering, there are still multiple threads about this subject, I wasn't basing my whole point on the reverse engineering thread.

I did address this. I said it didn't belong here. It should've been in a different section, at the least. Yes, this thread is a waste because of the numerous threads already there.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
This still does not stop VZW from monitoring your data use and charging you for it.

The hotspot is still configured to reconnect using the Tethered NAI and is therefore clearly distinguished by the network as external data use.

This is going to take some digging into the OS to figure out and may simply be impossible due to the way network authentication works now for LTE devices.

Users really need to understand that the game has changed in some very fundamental ways regarding tethering on VZW and all the carrier's for that matter.

Reactions: KidJoe

denpad2010

Jun 2, 2010
SC
I've used like 4 times for short period of time and by now nothing changed

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA App

willbur73

May 9, 2011
Queen Creek
I think that what cellzealot is saying is that even though the hack allows tethering and does not show he Verizon page about tethering, Verizon can clearly see the difference in data usage. Whether or not they will act on it right now is yet to be determined. But the important thing to know is that youvare easily tracked.

Reactions: KidJoe
Mar 31, 2011
Grand Rapids
Im kind of the boat with these other guys. Is there any way to prove that Verizon can't track this and nail you for it later?

Sent from my DB using XDA premium.

Last edited:

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
What kind of proof are you looking for? The Bionic hasn't been released for a month yet to even see what their response might be to un entitled use of the Hotspot app.

I have already explained in detail in the other thread started by zedomax why this is detectable and why his video showing the RadioComm method of editing the NVM the same way as was done for EvDO devices is both completely ineffective and dangerous.

If you want proof look at the NVM yourself and see the new authentication strings that are different hardware ID elements and different strings than previous non LTE phones.
If you understand network data authentication you will clearly see why this is openly detectable and is using the tethered NAI to distinguish the Hotspot data use.

What don't you see that you need to? If they want to charge you for it they have the means in place t determine precisely when and for how long you were connected and exactly how much data was used during that period.

BerkleyJ

Sep 13, 2010
So how do we get the EPST menu to change the NAI like I did on my old incredible?

mithusingh32

Dec 14, 2010
I think that what cellzealot is saying is that even though the hack allows tethering and does not show he Verizon page about tethering, Verizon can clearly see the difference in data usage. Whether or not they will act on it right now is yet to be determined. But the important thing to know is that youvare easily tracked.

If this is true, then i should have gotten charged for the 3+gb data i been using for the past 4 months because of the wireless tether...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol it's not like he asked if it's safe to swallow Dynamite. Not everyone is as advanced as you buddy.

I made a video describing how to enable free mobile hotspot. You'll need to be rooted first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRwzq6Y2H8&feature=channel_video_title
    This still does not stop VZW from monitoring your data use and charging you for it.

The hotspot is still configured to reconnect using the Tethered NAI and is therefore clearly distinguished by the network as external data use.

This is going to take some digging into the OS to figure out and may simply be impossible due to the way network authentication works now for LTE devices.

Users really need to understand that the game has changed in some very fundamental ways regarding tethering on VZW and all the carrier's for that matter.