[Q] rooted with custom rom cant activate to new number

Search This thread

saw429

I left sprint recently sold my phone with it rooted and and a patched ota rom on it. The guy went to get it activated and they couldn't get it done, said it was freezing up, sprint rep knew it was rooted, and said it needs to be back to stock unrooted???? Is this true? Anybody know?

YoungCorruptionV2.0

Sep 27, 2011
Any time you take your phone to sprint ALWAYS UNROOT. They can tag the account. You should of unrooted before selling the phone

Sent from my PG06100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
I left sprint recently sold my phone with it rooted and and a patched ota rom on it. The guy went to get it activated and they couldn't get it done, said it was freezing up, sprint rep knew it was rooted, and said it needs to be back to stock unrooted???? Is this true? Anybody know?

They were probably trying to get into the Activation Menu in ESPT. If they could not get it to work, that would be a clue that the phone was Rooted. But as mentioned in the post above. As a Rule of Thumb, never sell a phone Rooted. Also never take a phone into a Sprint store for any type of Tech work if it's Rooted. They can and most times do Flag the account. Not what you want. After that any phone issues you run into they may try to claim it's because your device is rooted.

Reactions: saw429

saw429

Thanks I put it back to stock.

I didn't realize a rooted phone would not allow you to get into the "Activation Menu in ESPT"

You can get more money some times for rooted phones, but i guess not with Sprint. My bro sold a SGSII rooted for T-mobile for big bucks, but i guess with sim cards, it makes it easy.

Is the "Rule of Thumb" to return phones back to stock before selling for Sprint and Verizon phones only?

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
I'm sorry, I didn't properly explain. Rooting doesn't affect if you can get into ESPT or not. Rooted phones can still use ESPT without issue. But it does depend on the Rom on the phone. But yes as a " Rule of Thumb " , if the device is going to be Sold or taken in for service. No matter who the person, or carrier is it's always better if it's Unrooted.

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

Bfitz26

Jun 3, 2011
layton
Thanks I put it back to stock.

I didn't realize a rooted phone would not allow you to get into the "Activation Menu in ESPT"

You can get more money some times for rooted phones, but i guess not with Sprint. My bro sold a SGSII rooted for T-mobile for big bucks, but i guess with sim cards, it makes it easy.

Is the "Rule of Thumb" to return phones back to stock before selling for Sprint and Verizon phones only?
Yup when i sold my epic a few months back that was a huge issue trying to get it activiated if rooted, i always take it to a third part store like spring wireless it's possible to activate mine did eventually but took like a hour in half.. but verizon all you do is put a sim in activate and done...

Dread 7us

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
Yup when i sold my epic a few months back that was a huge issue trying to get it activiated if rooted, i always take it to a third part store like spring wireless it's possible to activate mine did eventually but took like a hour in half.. but verizon all you do is put a sim in activate and done...

Not to be rude but Verizon uses CDMA (like Sprint excluding Nextel products that use iDEN). Verizon phones domestically do not use sim cards. The only CDMA phones that use sim cards are dual mode international phones (the sim card is only used for GSM networks abroad). AT&T and T-mobile use sim cards domestically (GSM) so maybe one of those?

Sent from my PG06100 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: prboy1969

nullstring2

Apr 21, 2011
Not to be rude but Verizon uses CDMA (like Sprint excluding Nextel products that use iDEN). Verizon phones domestically do not use sim cards. The only CDMA phones that use sim cards are dual mode international phones (the sim card is only used for GSM networks abroad). AT&T and T-mobile use sim cards domestically (GSM) so maybe one of those?

Thats not entirely true. LTE uses sim cards. Any Verizon phones with 4G will have a sim card.

mij9895

Mar 29, 2010
Southern Nevada
A sim card that is ONLY used to connect to 4G, not 3G (CDMA)...

Sent from my PG06100

Actually, from what I have read on the internet, Verizon LTE SIM cards are tied to activation of 3G CDMA on LTE equipped phones. I don't know how they did it, though. Also, I heard that Verizon LTE devices have the PRL loaded on the SIM card making it nearly impossible to flash a different PRL onto the phone. I even heard that Sprint is doing that with their LTE phones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thats not entirely true. LTE uses sim cards. Any Verizon phones with 4G will have a sim card.

A sim card that is ONLY used to connect to 4G, not 3G (CDMA)...

Sent from my PG06100

They were probably trying to get into the Activation Menu in ESPT. If they could not get it to work, that would be a clue that the phone was Rooted. But as mentioned in the post above. As a Rule of Thumb, never sell a phone Rooted. Also never take a phone into a Sprint store for any type of Tech work if it's Rooted. They can and most times do Flag the account. Not what you want. After that any phone issues you run into they may try to claim it's because your device is rooted.