The most annoying problems with G3 explained

Search This thread

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
That is exactly what the reviewers says: when there was only 174 MB of free RAM the phone started to redraw homescreen and freeze. There was no way to get rid of this. Uninstalling apps and closing them did not help. One could only restart the device. The journalist claims that this software issue can be fixed with an update (if LG decides to release one).

Well, the reviewer also says that trimming at fixed moments (or while deleting files) is standard for Android, YET the test revealed that in system's memory of G3 there is no trimming. He is also surprised and says that the quality of this emmory (eMMC) is good, but no trim makes it laggy. (I hope I understood it correctly).

I also hope that it will be fixed. But so far there is no serious update. And it's been 5 (6?) weeks since Korean release. And, as far as I know, no other flagship device had such a serious problems. Can you imagine Z2 or S5 perform worse than Z1 or S4? And yet G3 with 801 (in some tests) performs worse than G2 with 800. :(
LG doesn't release "fix" updates. What you get out of the box is what you get, until they update to the newest Android version. To me, it seems like they have this philosophy of, "Let's get it working just enough to ship out, if there's a few small bugs, then they will have to deal with it. As long as they buy the device, we make money."

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
LG doesn't release "fix" updates. What you get out of the box is what you get, until they update to the newest Android version. To me, it seems like they have this philosophy of, "Let's get it working just enough to ship out, if there's a few small bugs, then they will have to deal with it. As long as they buy the device, we make money."
So like Samsung?

Lg releases many updates. US carriers might not release them in time but others will benefit.

sabret00the

Apr 15, 2011
London
s00techified.wordpress.com
Guys, the 801 is more than capable of handling QHD, the problem is heating, when the phone gets hot there's aggressive cpu throttling by LG software. The 805 is more powerful with less heat so that's why it more suitable for QHD devices. Same goes to the screen not so bright too much heat.

But the 805 is designed for tablets. Hence the lack of modem. Thus the 805 plus a modem is more room than the 801. By the time you think about a heat sync too, you need a bigger form factor.

LeVvE

Dec 31, 2013
I think I got 2 or 3 updates on my LG G2 between 4.2 to 4.4. So its not like they didnt update it at all between new android versions.
Maybe G3 will be different. *shrugs*

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
But the 805 is designed for tablets. Hence the lack of modem. Thus the 805 plus a modem is more room than the 801. By the time you think about a heat sync too, you need a bigger form factor.

You know manufacturers can add in a stand alone modem right? Samsung already did this with the Galaxy S5 LTE-A that was released in Korea. There is no need for a bigger form factor lol

LG is already said to be working on a Snapdragon 805 LG G3 too

Reactions: Bilhouse

sabret00the

Apr 15, 2011
London
s00techified.wordpress.com
You know manufacturers can add in a stand alone modem right? Samsung already did this with the Galaxy S5 LTE-A that was released in Korea. There is no need for a bigger form factor lol

It depends on how tightly the insides are packed, from what I saw, the S5 LTE-A sacrificed some radios or something. Honestly didn't care enough to really check.

liamR

Feb 14, 2007

The G3 Prime is on its way, I'm not sure that it will be bigger than the original G3 because the latter is already on the limit to become phablet. I guess we'll find out soon.

D

Deleted member 267841

I've only read a little of it but one of the things that caught my eye is that they are complaining about having only small amount of free RAM. Another poster on here asked about this, RAM is used differently in Android as it is in Windows for example. Free RAM in Android is bad not to mention that the kernel is using around 25% of RAM as ZRAM which I believe is standard in 4.4 kernels! So the article in that point is wrong. I've also looked at the CPU usage on my phone and measured it against temperature. During normal use the temp is around 45-60degC and the CPU is not throttling its sitting at it max 2.5Ghz. I posted a screen shot of this on another thread. They may have a pre production model with early OS version.

Sent From My LG G3 Using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

yjysase8.jpg
a5etezam.jpg

OK, CPU V temp graphs of normal usage. CPU is spiking to 2.5Ghz, no throttling and temps are normal. RAM usage shows around 400MB free always. Totally normal for Android as I said it fills the RAM then kills apps as needed.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

My previous phone was a Nexus 4 and always more than 1 GB of free RAM size.
The free RAM in the G3 is around 300-400 MB, even after the boot.
This don't seems normal for me.
Thanks!

rancur3p1c

Jan 2, 2011
Atlanta
Firstly, let me apologize for my English and the lack of technical terminology in my vocabulary.

Secondly, a disclaimer: I do not own any Samsung phone. I think that my wife's LG G2 is the greatest phone in the world. :)

Let's get to the point...

Polish site PCLab has just published a detailed review of G3 (European model) with some astounding tests' results that might shed some light on all disturbing reports about problems with LG's new flagship device. And while Polish journalist praise the phone for its incredible design, great UI, decent camera, they are at the same time very disappointed with some serious software and hardware problems that G3 is suffering from. I have read tons of different reviews, but it's the first one that explains why this phone "lags", overheats etc.

Problem: POOR BENCHMARKS' RESULTS, LAGS

Some reasons:

1. It seems that RAM sticks (is that the correct word?) in G3 are worse in terms of quality than the ones from G2.
2. CPU management is set to deliberately lower clock rate and restrict maximum clock rate to one core only in most of the cases. And when all four cores are in use, CPU management does not allow them to work at maximum rate at all. It has some serious impact on UI operations as well and makes better chpset in G3 perform worse than Snapdragon 800 in G2.
3. The temperature. G3 has some serious problems with heat distribution. When the CPU is working for longer period of time, the clock rate is lowered to 1.5 GHz and (what's worse) GPU clock is being seriously restrained. For example, after several minutes GPU clock rate is slowered by 40% (from, say, 20 fps to 12 fps)! It's the worse throttling among all new flagships.
4. There's no trimming in system's internal memory. That's one of the most important causes of "lags".
5. The new UI has some problems with memory management. Sometimes while using few apps there is only 174 MB of 2 GB of memory avaible! And the only way to free memory is to restart the device.

And yes, this review also confirms problems with oversharpening of the text on G2 dispay. The reviewer says that it's the software issue (or rather: "LG's conscious marketing decision").

You can see all the screenshots from various tests here:
http://pclab.pl/art58419.html

I have no idea if these problems might be fixed with some software updates, but I really do hope so! :(

This reviewer has very little too no idea what he's talking about. Read Anandtech review for better reporting

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
This reviewer has very little too no idea what he's talking about. Read Anandtech review for better reporting

besides the no trimming bit, this guy says the exact same thing that AnandTech said lol

If you're used to a certain level of performance with a 1080p display and the Snapdragon 800 SoC, you will see a very very noticeable difference when using a 1440p display and the Snapdragon 801 SoC. Anand has confirmed this and says that to get the same level of performance we're used to, but with a 1440p display, you HAVE to use a Snapdragon 805 SoC

People love to rag on Samsung, but they knew better than to release the S5 with the 801 and 1440p and they weren't not willing to make that sacrifice for their flagship device

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
besides the no trimming bit, this guy says the exact same thing that AnandTech said lol

If you're used to a certain level of performance with a 1080p display and the Snapdragon 800 SoC, you will see a very very noticeable difference when using a 1440p display and the Snapdragon 801 SoC. Anand has confirmed this and says that to get the same level of performance we're used to, but with a 1440p display, you HAVE to use a Snapdragon 805 SoC

People love to rag on Samsung, but they knew better than to release the S5 with the 801 and 1440p and they weren't not willing to make that sacrifice for their flagship device
Yep, but the s5 lags more then the he so that's that...

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Yeah. Android has that built in now.

All these reviews are annoying. The device just came out. A lot of this can be fixed via an update.

All except the Qhd operating with a chipset better suited for 1080p. Will be interesting to see when more heavy users get the device. I expect a general split of light to medium users liking the device a lot and heavy users after a few weeks, not so much.

The sharpness issue though needs to be fixed, regardless. People will notice it more, once the excitement of having a new device wears off.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Not correct about just for tablets. Case in point, LG and Samsung both have devices coming out soon with the 805. The 805 is a more modular design than the previous 28nm chips, with the 805 being the last.

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
All except the Qhd operating with a chipset better suited for 1080p. Will be interesting to see when more heavy users get the device. I expect a general split of light to medium users liking the device a lot and heavy users after a few weeks, not so much.

The sharpness issue though needs to be fixed, regardless. People will notice it more, once the excitement of having a new device wears off.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Not correct about just for tablets. Case in point, LG and Samsung both have devices coming out soon with the 805. The 805 is a more modular design than the previous 28nm chips, with the 805 being the last.
Yes. I just got it and the sharpness thing is annoying. After it settled for about a day the thing runs really smooth as well. Thoroughly impressed. The 801 performs well for UI.

The battery would be better with the 805 but the battery also started settling in as well. So far I'm happy

rancur3p1c

Jan 2, 2011
Atlanta

he doesn't have much understanding of android memory management, acts like he's never seen thermal throttling, and what does "not as good memory" even mean?

Anandtech said none of those things.

on the thermal side, my Nexus 5 won't run full tilt for more than 5 seconds with all 4 cores maxed out due to the thermal issues.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

I suppose you're the living expert of today?
There is also a different phones and fws out there:)
compared to this guy, yeah definitely. there's a reason bad engineers write articles-- if they were good enough at what they did, they would be getting paid better to do that

3rothebassman

May 25, 2013
Screen redraw issue solved

I've solved the screen redraw / refresh issue by changing the I/O scheduler RAW to deadline! :)

messironie

Jan 30, 2012
HI!!!
I did not see anyone complained about caller id picture which is now (on 5.0) a little circle instead full screen and that is just annoying for me! :confused:
Is there some trick step by step to fix this without rooting my smartphone? Thanks in advance! :good:
Sorry for my english :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It looks like as an author of this article (I completely did not expect to find this link here :D) I need to clarify few things.
    I've only read a little of it but one of the things that caught my eye is that they are complaining about having only small amount of free RAM. Another poster on here asked about this, RAM is used differently in Android as it is in Windows for example. Free RAM in Android is bad not to mention that the kernel is using around 25% of RAM as ZRAM which I believe is standard in 4.4 kernels! So the article in that point is wrong. I've also looked at the CPU usage on my phone and measured it against temperature. During normal use the temp is around 45-60degC and the CPU is not throttling its sitting at it max 2.5Ghz. I posted a screen shot of this on another thread. They may have a pre production model with early OS version.
    I'm well aware that "RAM not in use is wasted RAM" and that Android keeps a lot of things in memory to make everything faster, not slower. When my G3 has ~300-400 MB of free memory, everything works fine, but after some time it fills up and there is no room form launcher, more than 1 tab in Chrome and so on. It clearly is some problem with memory management and as an long-time Nexus user I'd rather say it's a bug, not a feature ;)
    Enddo said:
    What test? Would you care to link any of these sources
    Claim that every smartphone with Android 4.3 or newer allways has TRIM because it is "built-in" is not entirely true. There are different ways of supporting TRIM. Most common one is ext4 filesystem with discard flag active (ext4 without discard does not TRIM automatically), which was used even before ANdroid 4.3. Motorola has F2FS filesystem, which is optimized for NAND storage and has garbage collector allways active. There is also "Nexus way" TRIM with garbage collection demon running in background. In G3 data partition is ext4 without discard flag and in system logs there are no signs of any TRIM commands running in background, so AFAIK there is no TRIM support in G3 at the moment, or I have strange preproduction sample. The best way of checking that would be rooting G3 and running fstrim() manualy, but i can't do that with my review sample.

Enddo said:
    This is because LG is trying to run a QHD display on the Snapdragon 801 chipset. The Snapdragon 805 is required to run a QHD to achieve the same performance level as the Snapdragon 800 running on a 1080p display
    That's not the whole storry. Yes, highier ressolution is part of it, but it looks like G3 has very small thermal headroom and during longer heavy GPU load it's clocks get cut by ~40%. (unfortunately i can't paste links in my posts yet). During 30 minutes long GFXBench loop, after ~15 minutes GPU throtling kicks in and this Snapdragon 801 gets much slower, than Snapdragon. Yes, allmost every new smartphone with S800/S801 throttles in such situations, but G3's case is most extreme one I've ever seen.

Lostatsea23 said:
    All these reviews are annoying. The device just came out. A lot of this can be fixed via an update.
    And selling beta hardware with beta software for full price isn't annoying? ;)

I'll try to figure out with Polish LG representatives if these problems are typical only for this specific sample, or it's something more common. At the moment my opinion is that G3 is very cool phone if your typical usage scenarios do not hit the "heat wall", but if they do this phone gets pretty annoying (backlight dimming, heavy GPU throttling and I've even managed to overheat camera so it stopped recording 4K video after 2 minutes 15 seconds).a

Unfortunately my english is not as good as I'd like it to be, but I hope I explained few things a bit.
    Firstly, let me apologize for my English and the lack of technical terminology in my vocabulary.

Secondly, a disclaimer: I do not own any Samsung phone. I think that my wife's LG G2 is the greatest phone in the world. :)

Let's get to the point...

Polish site PCLab has just published a detailed review of G3 (European model) with some astounding tests' results that might shed some light on all disturbing reports about problems with LG's new flagship device. And while Polish journalist praise the phone for its incredible design, great UI, decent camera, they are at the same time very disappointed with some serious software and hardware problems that G3 is suffering from. I have read tons of different reviews, but it's the first one that explains why this phone "lags", overheats etc.

Problem: POOR BENCHMARKS' RESULTS, LAGS

Some reasons:

1. It seems that RAM sticks (is that the correct word?) in G3 are worse in terms of quality than the ones from G2.
    2. CPU management is set to deliberately lower clock rate and restrict maximum clock rate to one core only in most of the cases. And when all four cores are in use, CPU management does not allow them to work at maximum rate at all. It has some serious impact on UI operations as well and makes better chpset in G3 perform worse than Snapdragon 800 in G2.
    3. The temperature. G3 has some serious problems with heat distribution. When the CPU is working for longer period of time, the clock rate is lowered to 1.5 GHz and (what's worse) GPU clock is being seriously restrained. For example, after several minutes GPU clock rate is slowered by 40% (from, say, 20 fps to 12 fps)! It's the worse throttling among all new flagships.
    4. There's no trimming in system's internal memory. That's one of the most important causes of "lags".
    5. The new UI has some problems with memory management. Sometimes while using few apps there is only 174 MB of 2 GB of memory avaible! And the only way to free memory is to restart the device.

And yes, this review also confirms problems with oversharpening of the text on G2 dispay. The reviewer says that it's the software issue (or rather: "LG's conscious marketing decision").

You can see all the screenshots from various tests here:
    http://pclab.pl/art58419.html

I have no idea if these problems might be fixed with some software updates, but I really do hope so! :(
    Are you sure about that?
    Whenever I have less than 200MB RAM left, my homescreen redraws, opening/closing apps and browsing through the menus is slow.

Whenever I have more than 500MB left my phone is as snappy as the nexus 5.

Sent from my Xperia Z1

Use Xposed App Settings to set your Launcher as 'Resident'. Got rid of this issue for me.
    Guys, the 801 is more than capable of handling QHD, the problem is heating, when the phone gets hot there's aggressive cpu throttling by LG software. The 805 is more powerful with less heat so that's why it more suitable for QHD devices. Same goes to the screen not so bright too much heat.