Nexus 5 "Roaming" issue, Three UK

Search This thread

AndrewJB88

Jul 15, 2009
Milton Keynes
Hi All,

Been having issues with Nexus 5 now for a while and don't seem to be able to resolve it, originally my partner had the Nexus 5 from new since December 2013. She complained like hell about it so eventually I got in contact with Google and got them to agree to a new replacement device (I then kept the new one and she had my S4)

At numerous points through out the day the Nexus 5 while go into "roaming mode" (H+/4G logo replaced with R at the top) and the only way to get it out of Roaming mode is to go into Settings>More>Mobile Networks>Network Operators, from here to manually scan and then select auto again.

Google Play have sent me 3 replacement devices incase of a hardware issue but all 4 phones have had this issue now, my partners S4 and S5 dont suffer with the same issue and she is on Three aswell.

The one thing I have noticed is when I manually scan for networks Three comes up twice in the list, so maybe its an issue auto switching between then two?

Google keep trying to get me to run in safe mode, do factory resets etc but nothing works, I have now sent them a response today basically saying I've had enough and want to return the item so I can go out and buy a HTC One M8 (not holding my breath)

Nexus 5, Android 4.4.4 KTU84P on Three UK.

Anybody else had this? it seems to be Hardware and Network specific

Last edited:

AndrewJB88

Jul 15, 2009
Milton Keynes
Standard ROM, no changes at all to the software.

Tempted to try a custom ROM but then I loose access to Barclays/SKY GO (both these apps wont run on rooted devices)

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Standard ROM, no changes at all to the software.

Tempted to try a custom ROM but then I loose access to Barclays/SKY GO (both these apps wont run on rooted devices)

You should try a custom ROM. As mentioned I've not had this issue for ages. I think perhaps not since I moved to SlimKat. Maybe give it a try? Root isn't activated in it by default so won't affect those 2 apps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AndrewJB88

Jul 15, 2009
Milton Keynes
You should try a custom ROM. As mentioned I've not had this issue for ages. I think perhaps not since I moved to SlimKat. Maybe give it a try? Root isn't activated in it by default so won't affect those 2 apps.

Excellent do you have a link to the ROM?

Used to have custom ROM's on all my Galaxy phones but since SKY started blocking Root ROM's I haven't bothered

danarama

Aug 22, 2010

Used to have custom ROM's on all my Galaxy phones but since SKY started blocking Root ROM's I haven't bothered

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2511512

Not saying it will solve the issue for you, but I can say i haven't had this issue for a long time (and I used to a lot with Three) so its at least worth a try.

I don't have any special settings set. There is only an option for national data roaming but when we roam, we only get voice from Orange anyway. 2G I think

Reactions: AndrewJB88

AndrewJB88

Jul 15, 2009
Milton Keynes

Not saying it will solve the issue for you, but I can say i haven't had this issue for a long time (and I used to a lot with Three) so its at least worth a try.

I don't have any special settings set. There is only an option for national data roaming but when we roam, we only get voice from Orange anyway. 2G I think

Got to be worth a try I reckon :)

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I get this from time to time, on any phone I've used in the year I've been with Three (One M7, Nexus 5, One M8, Nexus 5). Usually fixes itself once back in a decent area

AndrewJB88

Jul 15, 2009
Milton Keynes
Installed Slimkat tonight using the following methord.

1. Unlock bootloader
2. Install CWM
3. Install Slimkat and Gapps

Now I'm not sure if its fixed the initial issue yet only a few days of testing will confirm that but I now have two more issues.

1. Even though I never rooted the phone, SkyGo and Barclays are saying its rooted and wont let me use them
2. The DPI is awful (very small) and it wont let me change it using an app because guess wot... I need root access

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Installed Slimkat tonight using the following methord.

1. Unlock bootloader
2. Install CWM
3. Install Slimkat and Gapps

Now I'm not sure if its fixed the initial issue yet only a few days of testing will confirm that but I now have two more issues.

1. Even though I never rooted the phone, SkyGo and Barclays are saying its rooted and wont let me use them
2. The DPI is awful (very small) and it wont let me change it using an app because guess wot... I need root access

I guess that's why root cloak doesn't work with those 2 particular apps

Try and edit the zip and reflash it without the su binary. You can also edit the DPI in build.prop at the same time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The black inserts that make up the letters on the back cover, are just stickers

thats what i thought. lol, id never call it an issue though :)
    Maybe try also deleting /system/etc/.has_su_daemon

But this is all secondary. The important thing I monitoring the. Networks.

Removed the Daemon and still Skygo still wont work. oh well.

Barclays is more important that Skygo and that is working now so im 75% happy.

If the networks issue is solved then it will be even better :)

Thankyou for your help and quick responses, I will report back in a few days on the network issues