[Solved] Windows unable to install MTP driver

Search This thread

Bartimoot

Apr 25, 2014
Hello guys!

I have already read some topics on this forum but it is my first message.

As indicated in the title, I cannot connect my Nexus 4 on my computer using MTP. This computer is running Windows 8.1 Update 1. So far I have tried every method I have seen on the web so I am a little bit desperate.

I have tried to plug my device on other computers and it was automatically detected on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Ubuntu 14.04.
On my computer, as it does not auto-configure MTP I have tried to install ADB drivers, hoping it would help me. Universal ADB drivers, Naked Drivers and drivers from the SDK didn't changed anything. I also tried changing USB port.

It always recognised my phone as a "Nexus 4" in the "Other devices" section of the Device Manager (I do not have "Android Device" section), except in when MTP + debugging are activated. Then I have both "Nexus 4" and "MTP", in "Other devices" section.

It does not work in PTP mode either and I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Nexus Root Toolkit, even if I do not see how it can help...

One last point: I have the "connected as multimedia device" notification on my Nexus 4 when MTP is activated, even if it's not recognised by Windows.

Do you have any idea of what I can do?

Last edited:

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia
I have already tried to follow this guide, it just helped me to install ADB drivers but I still don't have access to the content of my Nexus from my computer. I just tried it again, just in case. No changes :(

Last time I had such an issue: I uninstalled the drivers using Device Manager, then installed the drivers from that guide, plugged in my phone and it worked..

Here is another post from another forum that has something you could try:

still1 said:
ttwiitch said:
still1 said:
1. make sure Settings ->Storage -> Menu[3 dots on top right] -> USB Computer Connection is MTP
2. USB debugging is disabled (if you ever enabled it)
3. make sure the drivers installed is MTP drivers rather than adb device(you do this when you unlock/root nexus)
point 3 is important. thats the reason why its not getting detected
2. Where in setting do I check for USB debugging?

3. How do I check this? (I'm not rooted)
2. developer option.. if you have not enabled developer option then you wouldnt have enabled USB debugging. so skip this

3. Connect your nexus to PC-->Go to Control panel-->device manager

you will see something like Android adb in device manager
Right Click and click "Update device Software"
Click "Browse your Computer for driver Software"
Click "Let me Pick from a list of device drivers on my Computer"
Click Next, for the device list shown.

Tell us how it goes..

Reactions: Bartimoot

Bartimoot

Apr 25, 2014
Thank you for spending some of your time to help me Marvlesz, I really appreciate.

Last time I had such an issue: I uninstalled the drivers using Device Manager, then installed the drivers from that guide, plugged in my phone and it worked..
Yes, I saw it worked for a lot of people, for what I have read, but it seems that I am not that lucky :(

When picking from the list, I tried from the Android Device section and it displays "Unable to find any drivers for this device". Same Results in “Mobile devices”.

When I try “Show all devices”, I have a lot of possibilities. I just tried “MTP Device” from both “Standard MTP-Compliant Device” and “Standard MTP-Compliant devices” sections, and it displayed “The install class is not present or is invalid
Am I cursed?

I was wondering, is it possible that the problem is coming from my hardware? Or its drivers? (Those for the motherboard maybe?)

EDIT: I just found this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2493734
I will try it and I will keep you updated when it is done.

EDIT 2:
So I tried the solution... and it worked! :good:
I had the N version of Windows 8.1, mainly to avoid useless software like Windows Media Player, and it was the exact problem.

Sorry for taking a little of your time, and thank you again!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you for spending some of your time to help me Marvlesz, I really appreciate.

Yes, I saw it worked for a lot of people, for what I have read, but it seems that I am not that lucky :(

When picking from the list, I tried from the Android Device section and it displays "Unable to find any drivers for this device". Same Results in “Mobile devices”.

When I try “Show all devices”, I have a lot of possibilities. I just tried “MTP Device” from both “Standard MTP-Compliant Device” and “Standard MTP-Compliant devices” sections, and it displayed “The install class is not present or is invalid
    Am I cursed?

I was wondering, is it possible that the problem is coming from my hardware? Or its drivers? (Those for the motherboard maybe?)

EDIT: I just found this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2493734
    I will try it and I will keep you updated when it is done.

EDIT 2:
    So I tried the solution... and it worked! :good:
    I had the N version of Windows 8.1, mainly to avoid useless software like Windows Media Player, and it was the exact problem.

Sorry for taking a little of your time, and thank you again!
    I have already tried to follow this guide, it just helped me to install ADB drivers but I still don't have access to the content of my Nexus from my computer. I just tried it again, just in case. No changes :(

Here is another post from another forum that has something you could try:

still1 said:
    ttwiitch said:
    still1 said:
    1. make sure Settings ->Storage -> Menu[3 dots on top right] -> USB Computer Connection is MTP
    2. USB debugging is disabled (if you ever enabled it)
    3. make sure the drivers installed is MTP drivers rather than adb device(you do this when you unlock/root nexus)
    point 3 is important. thats the reason why its not getting detected
    2. Where in setting do I check for USB debugging?

3. How do I check this? (I'm not rooted)
    2. developer option.. if you have not enabled developer option then you wouldnt have enabled USB debugging. so skip this

3. Connect your nexus to PC-->Go to Control panel-->device manager

you will see something like Android adb in device manager
    Right Click and click "Update device Software"
    Click "Browse your Computer for driver Software"
    Click "Let me Pick from a list of device drivers on my Computer"
    Click Next, for the device list shown.

Tell us how it goes..
    No problems, I'm glad you had it fixed. :)