Battery Calibration process

Search This thread

Roman5

Jul 24, 2007
London UK
Is this the definitive way to do it?

http://hemorrdroids.net/battery-calibration/

Those steps came from here, xda devs.

1. Run the device down until it turns itself off.
2. Turn it back on and wait for it to turn itself off again.
3. Remove the battery for 10 seconds.
4. Replace the battery, but leave the device off.
5. Charge the device until full and then for another hour.
6 **Root users only** Using a Terminal Emulator, type “su” enter, followed by “rm /data/system/batterystats.bin”
7. Run the device’s battery down until it turns itself off.
8 .Turn the device on and charge for at least 8 hours.
9. Unplug the device, turn off, then charge for another hour.
10. Unplug the device, turn on, wait 2 minutes.
11.Turn off again and charge for another hour.
12. Restart and use as normal.

Quite a performance! Does it preserve battery lifespan, or is it more to do with slowing down battery drain and does it really work?

He mentions 2 interesting things:

"Generally charge them before they get lower than 50%". I didn't know that, so it's actually better to charge more often and not let it drain down?

"USB charging is actually better for the battery and you may get up to 1 hours more standby time." So you gain an hour standby but it takes twice as long to charge the phone.

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Some will say that its complete nonsense .
Overcharge for 8 hours ??? how does the battery not turn charging off at 100%

Recharge 50% the accepted figure is not to go below 20% to often .

They may be right or wrong their are so many contrasting views on battery charging .

jje

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
Discharging battery and then reloading it fully, it's the normal procedure for battery calibration for almost all the devices in the world (including computers, etc.).

Step 8 to 11 seems quite a bit strange however.

Eclap78

Account currently disabled
Jun 8, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
hm, just seen a different way to calibrate the battery. basically, you drain the battery, take it out for a couple of minutes, put back in, then try to turn it on to make sure it's completely flat.

then you charge it fully, then boot to recovery and wipe battery stats then drain and fully charge. so... which one is more likely to be the better?

kreoXDA

Nov 22, 2010
New York
that guy also advises to repeat that 12 step, 1-2 day long tedious procedure "every month or so".
it is lunacy honestly speaking :)

jvidia

Jun 1, 2011
Lisbon
LOL I dont understand .... I just read in another day that NEVER LET BATTERY GO LOWER THAN 15% and know I read "drain drain drain" :D Oh welll ...

I also thought that at 100% the charging process stops.

RenatoN

Oct 8, 2011
Porto Velho
Although this thread is about battery calibration, these questions about battery charging always pop up.

Battery calibration is the process by which you set your device with your battery data.

Every single battery is slightly different. Although there are minimum stantards to every spec of the battery, each battery is different.

Calibrating your battery is nothing more than setting your phone to the real specs of your own battery (since the phone comes configured with the battery factory standards). For example, your phone may be set to use a battery which maximum charge is 1650 mAh, but your battery has a maximum charge of 1625 mAh. That may be within the acceptable factory standard, meaning you have a normal battery, but that also means that your phone will never indicate a 100% charge after you unplug the charger.

If you calibrate that hypothetical battery, you will "tell" your phone that its maximum charge capacity is actually 1625 mAh, meaning from that on your phone's battery indicator will be more accurate.

For that reason, it is necessary to fully discharge and fully recharge your battery for the calibration process, since your device must read the actual specs (minimum charge, maximum charge, charging current, etc) of the installed battery.

I don't know about how many times this full cicle (discharging and recharging) must be performed, but that is the reason why it must be performed for the calibration to succed.

A DIFFERENT THING is the normal discharging and charging process during normal use of the phone.

In this case, you should NEVER let your battery go under 20% and, what few people know, it also should never go over 95%. This stresses the battery and diminish its life time.

Also, and there's a lot of doubts about this, the lower the charging voltage, the slower the charging process, but the longer the battery life.

High charging voltages (like the one used by the charger sold with the phone, which is around 5V) stress the battery, diminishing considerably its life time.

That is true for all lithium-ion batteries!

Therefore it is better to charge your phone through USB (which uses around 4,3V) than to do it using the charger provided with the phone.

You may be asking "If the charging voltage of the charger provided by the manufacturer stresses the battery, why does the manufacturer provide such charger?"

For purely commercial reasons! Higher voltages mean shorter charging cycles, which please the consummer. Moreover, the battery capacity loss with the factory provided charger is around 15-20% a year (considering "normal" to "heavy" use). That is to say that after a year your battery will only reach 80-85% of the maximum charge it used to reach when it was new. And by that time your manufacturer expects you to consider buying a new phone, with more features.

Summing it up:
- calibration is just the process by which you "tell" your phone what the real specs of your battery;
- in normal use, charging your phone through USB is better than doing it with the manufacturer provided charger;
- try not to let your battery charge go under 20% nor above 95%;
- if you're interested, read more about it at batteryuniversity.com

Last edited:

m2smoe

Aug 12, 2011
Phoenix
Spin three times in clockwise direction with left middle finger on your nose while blinking your eyes with the phone plugged in.

Jump in the air 3 times.

Unplug phone.

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
Thats some messed up instructions.

Do you have any idea what kind of strain you're putting on the battery while doing all that?

All you're gonna get is some extra minutes, maybe an hour but is it really worth it because you're just reducing overall battery lifespan by doing that procedure over and over.

Specially when you constantly keep the battery at 4200mV (full charge) for a long time. You're practically killing it by overcharging.

Transmitted from a Galaxy far far away via XDA telepathy.

Last edited:

Universeal

Jul 9, 2011
Never done a calibration on a battery and most of the time i even didn't let battery to discarge very much and then load it again. Never had a problem with battery life it last how long it should last every time and i've used that battery for years. So the battery "calibration" are kinda useless.

BrandoHD

Aug 28, 2009
Arima
Although this thread is about battery calibration, these questions about battery charging always pop up.

Battery calibration is the process by which you set your device with your battery data.

Every single battery is slightly different. Although there are minimum stantards to every spec of the battery, each battery is different.

Calibrating your battery is nothing more than setting your phone to the real specs of your own battery (since the phone comes configured with the battery factory standards). For example, your phone may be set to use a battery which maximum charge is 1650 mAh, but your battery has a maximum charge of 1625 mAh. That may be within the acceptable factory standard, meaning you have a normal battery, but that also means that your phone will never indicate a 100% charge after you unplug the charger.

If you calibrate that hypothetical battery, you will "tell" your phone that its maximum charge capacity is actually 1625 mAh, meaning from that on your phone's battery indicator will be more accurate.

For that reason, it is necessary to fully discharge and fully recharge your battery for the calibration process, since your device must read the actual specs (minimum charge, maximum charge, charging current, etc) of the installed battery.

I don't know about how many times this full cicle (discharging and recharging) must be performed, but that is the reason why it must be performed for the calibration to succed.

A DIFFERENT THING is the normal discharging and charging process during normal use of the phone.

In this case, you should NEVER let your battery go under 20% and, what few people know, it also should never go over 95%. This stresses the battery and diminish its life time.

Also, and there's a lot of doubts about this, the lower the charging voltage, the slower the charging process, but the longer the battery life.

High charging voltages (like the one used by the charger sold with the phone, which is around 5V) stress the battery, diminishing considerably its life time.

That is true for all lithium-ion batteries!

Therefore it is better to charge your phone through USB (which uses around 4,3V) than to do it using the charger provided with the phone.

You may be asking "If the charging voltage of the charger provided by the manufacturer stresses the battery, why does the manufacturer provide such charger?"

For purely commercial reasons! Higher voltages mean shorter charging cycles, which please the consummer. Moreover, the battery capacity loss with the factory provided charger is around 15-20% a year (considering "normal" to "heavy" use). That is to say that after a year your battery will only reach 80-85% of the maximum charge it used to reach when it was new. And by that time your manufacturer expects you to consider buying a new phone, with more features.

Summing it up:
- calibration is just the process by which you "tell" your phone what the real specs of your battery;
- in normal use, charging your phone through USB is better than doing it with the manufacturer provided charger;
- try not to let your battery charge go under 20% nor above 95%;
- if you're interested, read more about it at batteryuniversity.com

You should post the source for your info, cause I am seeing a lot of incorrect information in here.

If you guys want to learn about your battery, visit the site Battery University

aceofclubs

Oct 5, 2011
The OEM replacement battery is worth about $10.

Save yourself the stress....use it...charge it when you need to...if the battery ever fails cough up $10.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

ziggyboy

Nov 15, 2010
Canberra
The way I would calibrate my batteries is a bit different. Lithium ion batteries don't need to be drained then charged to full AFAIK, and I even remember reading somewhere that draining it is actually only for NiCad batteries. It used to be relevant when phones were using NiCad but not anymore.

Read: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

As such I have read that the universal way to 'calibrate' batteries is by charging to full, using for a couple of mins and charging again.

What I have been doing is:

1. Charge to full when phone is switched off (doesn't matter if it's from 0% or 99%).
2. Switch on the phone, use for 5 mins.
3. Switch off then charge until full.
4. Repeat step 2 once more

That's it! It seems pretty simple but it seems to have worked for me.

M

Matriak31

The way i do it is different. Firstly i have the battery calibration app from the market by Nema..then i fully charge my phone and when it says its fully charge i go into the app. There it gives me the instructions on how to calibrate...First i wait till i charge the phone without any interruptions. then click on the app and wait til the battery goes to 4200MV and then i press the calibrate button and then the app does it for me. Then i drain the battery again without any interuptions or breaks during that time and then charge it again once battery dies down and thats it.

there are so many ways being touted on the forums you really dont know which one to go for...but whatever works for each person then who are we to tell someone different:) just thought i share that

Hilari0

Aug 14, 2011
Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
If my battery dies, or gets significally lower capacity after 1 or 2 years of usage, I'll just buy a new one if I plan to keep the phone longer.. Going through these rituals and painstakenly monitor my battery % so that it never goes below 20 % or above 95 % is just not worth it.. Doesn't increase the life THAT much anyway.. I use the phone until I hear the beep for low batt, and from there until I have a charger available.. Most of the time it's before it reaches 10 %, thats good enough for me.. Once in a while it might even go so far that it dies.. Then I charge it till it says 100 %.. Most of the times I plug it when going to bed, and let it charge over night.. This is normal usage and what the battery should be designed to handle, and so far it does.. :)