[Q] Is there a Custom Webos for Touchpad?

Search This thread

JonathanDavidCooper

Jan 27, 2014
I'm giving my touchpad to my grandfather. My dad has a touchpad, so I want to leave webos on it since I think it would be more user friendly for him. Problem is it wasn't updated when it was supposed to be july of 2013. Doing what HP says and everyone else on the internet says about changing the date and downloading from the update still fails regardless of what I do. So is there a custom Webos without the fail app download issue? If there is can someone send me in the direction of where I can find out how to put it on the touchpad?

I have utilized the XDA Developers site for years and just now joining so im new around here.

Last edited:

RolandDeschain79

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 16, 2012
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'm giving my touchpad to my grandfather. My dad has a touchpad, so I want to leave webos on it since I think it would be more user friendly for him. Problem is it wasn't updated when it was supposed to be july of 2013. Doing what HP says and everyone else on the internet says about changing the date and downloading from the update still fails regardless of what I do. So is there a custom Webos without the fail app download issue? If there is can someone send me in the direction of where I can find out how to put it on the touchpad?

I have utilized the XDA Developers site for years and just now joining so im new around here.

Well you kind of have to leave WebOS on it since you can't remove it. I would still say Android is better to have and you just need to set it up for him. I've setup Touchpads for my family members preloaded with all the apps they'll need. Install the Go launcher ex and make a few folders. Throw in all the apps you think he'll use and it should be fine.

However if you want to upgrade WebOS I have a thread about it.

1.Note(Important): You will need to set the date back to July, 1, 2013!

2. Install the patch, if you have an older versions of WebOS update it by running WebOS doctor version 3.0.5 or it won't work.

3. Reboot and use "Internalz Pro" to see if it worked.

HP TouchPad Root Certificate fix for WebOS cloud services

Note(Important): You will need to set the date back to July, 1, 2013!

The Problem:
A vital "root certificate" on webOS devices is due to expire on July 23, 2013. This certificate gives
Touchpad users access to HPs cloud services for the App catalogue and Backing up the device.
When the "root certificate" expires users will no longer have access to the App catalogue and backed up data.
Furthermore HPs online WebOS support is expected to disappear altogether by the end of the year.
So it’s recommended to backup your personal data and essential Touchpad software to your PC now.

Read the full WebOS Survival Kit Guide Here:

The solution:
Getting a free App catalog update will fix the "root certificate" problem as long as you downloaded it before July,23,2013.
If you are hearing about this after July,23,2013, then you will need to first set the date to July,1,2013.
To do this boot into WebOS and go to settings/Date & Time, toggle off the “Network Time”.
Now adjust the date accordingly and download the Update, once complete comeback and Toggle the “Network Time” button back to on.

How to Test:
You can check the expiry date of your root certificate by installing the "Internalz Pro" free app from WebOS Preware.
Once you have "Internalz Pro" installed open it and go to the following location. ../../etc/ssl/certs/trustedcerts/PalmWebOS.pem/open
After installing the App catalog update your root certificate should say "Expires: 27 April 2037" See the screenshot below.

To get the update in WebOS go to Downloads/HP App Catalog.
Open the app Catalog and select the categories tab at the bottom.
Next click on the “new” tab at the top and Scroll down the page till you see “App Catalog Update”.
Now install the update and your Touchpad support will continue to work in a post WebOS world.

Note* If you get a message saying the update failed to install, then check the expiry date with this method and reboot. It should report the patch is installed properly after rebooting.

Note(Important):This update requires webOS 2.1+ to be installed. Devices with older versions will need to run the WebOS Doctor first, the latest version is 3.0.5.

Additional threads and info:
HP to issue root certificate fix, ensure continued access to webOS cloud services

The webOS Survival Kit: everything you need to know should webOS doomsday come

URGENT - Root Certificate Expiring + Fix

Recommended downloads:
webOS Quick Installer

WebOS doctor 3.0.5

Additional WebOS Performance Tweaks:
I would highly recommend doing the following tweaks. Read the full instructional guide in the link below:
HP TouchPad Setup Guide Part 1: Speed Up Your Tablet With Preware, Homebrew & Patches [WebOS]

Download and install the following packages from Preware:
You should see a noticeable speed improvement while using WebOS. Also a few apps to improve functionality.
Note* You will need to reboot the device after installing most of these packages:

-EOM Overlord Monitoring
-Muffle System Logging
-Remove Dropped Packet Logging
-Unset CFQ IQ Scheduler
-Unthrottle Download Manager
-Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10
-Quiet Powerd Messages (sic)
-Faster Card Animations HYPER Version
-Advanced Rest Options
-Disk Cache Mod
-Unhide Developer Mode Icon
-Reduce Minimum Brightness
-CyBoot
-Ad Blocker OR Max Block – Do not install both.
-Private Browsing (adds an option to your browser)

Reduce Logging & Patch ‘em Up:
This patch require you to log into Skype with the "Phone and Video Calls" app.
Once there place a call to this number using the dialer type: "##5647#"
A logging window will launch, choose to "Clear Logs" first then "Change Logging Levels" and setting logging to "minimal".
Once done, exit the app – your logging levels are now changed.

If you have never used Preware you can watch this video about Flashing the HP Touchpads A6 Firmware.
You will also learn how to use the WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.0 software to install Preware.
Both of these procedures are highly recommended and can be done as part of your post apocalyptic WebOS Survival.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izzyb914

Izzyb914

Feb 6, 2012
I am having the same problem. Had to Doctor and Lost Certificate after a CM10 Flash that went bad.. I have tried for days with no luck. Many say that Installing the App Update via Preware Works but not for me.
Many Thanks to you Roland I am a big Fan of yours with all your tips and videos but I am completely Stumped with this one.

cdmcfud

May 13, 2011
I am having the same problem. Had to Doctor and Lost Certificate after a CM10 Flash that went bad.. I have tried for days with no luck. Many say that Installing the App Update via Preware Works but not for me.
Many Thanks to you Roland I am a big Fan of yours with all your tips and videos but I am completely Stumped with this one.

It worked for me the secret is re-flashing App update.
change date
load hp app catalog
re-flash hp app update

edit: I forgot to add change date back after app catalog update.

re-edit: I also forgot to add, You will need Web OS 3.5 installed first. The only way I could install it was, doing an AcmeUninstaller2 which removed Android then installing from Web OS.

Last edited:

Izzyb914

Feb 6, 2012
It worked for me the secret is re-flashing App update.
change date
load hp app catalog
re-flash hp app update

edit: I forgot to add change date back after app catalog update.

re-edit: I also forgot to add, You will need Web OS 3.5 installed first. The only way I could install it was, doing an AcmeUninstaller2 which removed Android then installing from Web OS.

Thanks I had tried all that but still failed. Today I found a Post over at HP Support Forums that had a link to the palm.app.appcatalogupdate_3.0.0.ipk which I installed with WEBOSQuickInstall then rebooted and all is Well. :victory:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/webOS-...g-Update-not-working-Fixed/m-p/3458163#M53148

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well you kind of have to leave WebOS on it since you can't remove it. I would still say Android is better to have and you just need to set it up for him. I've setup Touchpads for my family members preloaded with all the apps they'll need. Install the Go launcher ex and make a few folders. Throw in all the apps you think he'll use and it should be fine.

However if you want to upgrade WebOS I have a thread about it.

1.Note(Important): You will need to set the date back to July, 1, 2013!

2. Install the patch, if you have an older versions of WebOS update it by running WebOS doctor version 3.0.5 or it won't work.

3. Reboot and use "Internalz Pro" to see if it worked.

HP TouchPad Root Certificate fix for WebOS cloud services

Note(Important): You will need to set the date back to July, 1, 2013!

The Problem:
    A vital "root certificate" on webOS devices is due to expire on July 23, 2013. This certificate gives
    Touchpad users access to HPs cloud services for the App catalogue and Backing up the device.
    When the "root certificate" expires users will no longer have access to the App catalogue and backed up data.
    Furthermore HPs online WebOS support is expected to disappear altogether by the end of the year.
    So it’s recommended to backup your personal data and essential Touchpad software to your PC now.

The solution:
    Getting a free App catalog update will fix the "root certificate" problem as long as you downloaded it before July,23,2013.
    If you are hearing about this after July,23,2013, then you will need to first set the date to July,1,2013.
    To do this boot into WebOS and go to settings/Date & Time, toggle off the “Network Time”.
    Now adjust the date accordingly and download the Update, once complete comeback and Toggle the “Network Time” button back to on.

How to Test:
    You can check the expiry date of your root certificate by installing the "Internalz Pro" free app from WebOS Preware.
    Once you have "Internalz Pro" installed open it and go to the following location. ../../etc/ssl/certs/trustedcerts/PalmWebOS.pem/open
    After installing the App catalog update your root certificate should say "Expires: 27 April 2037" See the screenshot below.

To get the update in WebOS go to Downloads/HP App Catalog.
    Open the app Catalog and select the categories tab at the bottom.
    Next click on the “new” tab at the top and Scroll down the page till you see “App Catalog Update”.
    Now install the update and your Touchpad support will continue to work in a post WebOS world.

Note* If you get a message saying the update failed to install, then check the expiry date with this method and reboot. It should report the patch is installed properly after rebooting.

Note(Important):This update requires webOS 2.1+ to be installed. Devices with older versions will need to run the WebOS Doctor first, the latest version is 3.0.5.

Additional threads and info:
    HP to issue root certificate fix, ensure continued access to webOS cloud services

The webOS Survival Kit: everything you need to know should webOS doomsday come

URGENT - Root Certificate Expiring + Fix

Recommended downloads:
    webOS Quick Installer

WebOS doctor 3.0.5

Additional WebOS Performance Tweaks:
    I would highly recommend doing the following tweaks. Read the full instructional guide in the link below:
    HP TouchPad Setup Guide Part 1: Speed Up Your Tablet With Preware, Homebrew & Patches [WebOS]

Download and install the following packages from Preware:
    You should see a noticeable speed improvement while using WebOS. Also a few apps to improve functionality.
    Note* You will need to reboot the device after installing most of these packages:

-EOM Overlord Monitoring
    -Muffle System Logging
    -Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    -Unset CFQ IQ Scheduler
    -Unthrottle Download Manager
    -Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10
    -Quiet Powerd Messages (sic)
    -Faster Card Animations HYPER Version
    -Advanced Rest Options
    -Disk Cache Mod
    -Unhide Developer Mode Icon
    -Reduce Minimum Brightness
    -CyBoot
    -Ad Blocker OR Max Block – Do not install both.
    -Private Browsing (adds an option to your browser)

Reduce Logging & Patch ‘em Up:
    This patch require you to log into Skype with the "Phone and Video Calls" app.
    Once there place a call to this number using the dialer type: "##5647#"
    A logging window will launch, choose to "Clear Logs" first then "Change Logging Levels" and setting logging to "minimal".
    Once done, exit the app – your logging levels are now changed.

If you have never used Preware you can watch this video about Flashing the HP Touchpads A6 Firmware.
    You will also learn how to use the WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.0 software to install Preware.
    Both of these procedures are highly recommended and can be done as part of your post apocalyptic WebOS Survival.