Off-Topic Books Thread

Search This thread

Dirk

May 11, 2009
I've spent most of the day looking for something new to read, before realising i should have asked here first!

Fiction or non-fiction, the kind of writers i've enjoyed in the past include, but not limited to:

James Herbert
Michael Connelly
Mark Billingham
Ian Rankin
Bill Bryson
Joy Adamson
Michael Crichton
John Connolly
Terry Pratchett
Douglas Adams

Physics, Nature, Cosmology, History, WWI, WWII..

Should be enough to go on! Post up your recommendations or just list your favourites. Read something new recently? Rate it here.

Last edited:

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Clive Barker is a great writer (in my opinion). He's normally thought of as a horror writer, mainly due to the success of Hellraiser (The Hellbound Heart) and Candyman (The Forbidden), but I prefer his fantasy stuff as I love the philosophical/cosmological edge he has.

I could not recommend these books any more as I truly believe they changed the way I look at the world...

Imajica
Weaveworld
The Great and Secret Show (1st in a trilogy - only 2 completed so far though)

G

GuestD2577

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre is a really good read, if you haven' read it already.

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Bad Science by Ben Goldacre is a really good read, if you haven' read it already.

Perfect! I remember hearing about this at the time but never thought to read it. I love psuedo science debunking, mainly as i'm so keen on doing it myself! Kindle edition ordered and ready to read. Great suggestion, thanks!

Clive Barker is a great writer (in my opinion). He's normally thought of as a horror writer, mainly due to the success of Hellraiser (The Hellbound Heart) and Candyman (The Forbidden), but I prefer his fantasy stuff as I love the philosophical/cosmological edge he has.

I could not recommend these books any more as I truly believe they changed the way I look at the world...

Added all three to my Amazon wishlist. Hopefully i'll get a load of ideas here and a nice long list to keep me in reading for a while!

Thanks.

G

GuestD2577

Perfect! I remember hearing about this at the time but never thought to read it. I love psuedo science debunking, mainly as i'm so keen on doing it myself! Kindle edition ordered and ready to read. Great suggestion, thanks!

He has a column in the science section on the Guardian website which follows on the theme of the book, it's always a good quick read.

Dirk

May 11, 2009
A recommendation for M_T_M...

41GEINn9iGL__SS500_.jpg

You with your quantum posts that flash in and out of existence without leaving a trace! :D

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Mark Tufo's Zombie Fallout series (there's 4 plus a short prequel), you'll love them, especially if you enjoyed Stephen King's the Stand.

'The Stand' Is my favourite book of all time! Would you be one of Mother Abigail's people's.. or a follower of Flagg? Better to reign in hell, or serve in Heaven?

I was always the Larry Holmes of the story. Deeply flawed but, essential to outcome. Stu Redmond was the obvious hero, but wasn't there to make the sacrifice at the end.

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
'The Stand' Is my favourite book of all time! Would you be one of Mother Abigail's people's.. or a follower of Flagg? Better to reign in hell, or serve in Heaven?

I was always the Larry Holmes of the story. Deeply flawed but, essential to outcome. Stu Redmond was the obvious hero, but wasn't there to make the sacrifice at the end.

Mother Abigail for definite, i'm a good boy :D

Zombie Fallout is like the Stand, but with zombies, a great family with plenty of sarcasm between them, and Henry; the bulldog with rectal eminations that Hans Blix should be investigating! Oh and pop tarts, somehow there's always pop tarts.
Best of all they're only a couple of quid each.

deliriousDroid

Dec 8, 2010
Stephen Kings "The Dark Tower" series. It should keep you busy for a while:D

Sent from my SilverBullet 'HTCDesireZ running CM7'

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ghost in the Wires

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
    Kevin Mitnick (Author), Steve Wozniak (Foreword), William L. Simon (Contributor)

This is a surprisingly well written book and a real page turner!

This is the guy who got all that publicity back in the '80s & '90s.