[Q] April 2013 Nextbook 8 SE with Amlogic Meson 6 and Jellybean

Search This thread

soinclined

Nov 25, 2010
Hi,

I just acquired a Nextbook 8 SE with a manufacturing date of April 2013. It has Jellybean installed, HDMI out, and also Google Play.

There have apparently been several iterations of hardware under this same model number missing some or all of the above.

Nothing I have tried has been successful at rooting this device, including the Italian Fix, all the stuff here and at FreakTab, or Crystal Root which is the only thing I've found here that specifically calls out this processor and OS mix.

Yifang or whoever actually made this unit is doing something interesting with the signing keys, because pretty much anything I've tried via <3e> has failed verification.

I know that since this unit is only a month old and not popular that there probably hasn't been a lot of interest or work done on it, but I'd really like to root it in order to get rid of some things and change some other things.

Thanks in advance!

Powers16

Dec 13, 2007
Gallatin
Hi,

I just acquired a Nextbook 8 SE with a manufacturing date of April 2013. It has Jellybean installed, HDMI out, and also Google Play.

There have apparently been several iterations of hardware under this same model number missing some or all of the above.

Nothing I have tried has been successful at rooting this device, including the Italian Fix, all the stuff here and at FreakTab, or Crystal Root which is the only thing I've found here that specifically calls out this processor and OS mix.

Yifang or whoever actually made this unit is doing something interesting with the signing keys, because pretty much anything I've tried via <3e> has failed verification.

I know that since this unit is only a month old and not popular that there probably hasn't been a lot of interest or work done on it, but I'd really like to root it in order to get rid of some things and change some other things.

Thanks in advance!

I'm with you on rooting this thing, i have scoured the internet for days trying to find information on rooting this device. I have the Nextbook Premium 8HD sells for 99 dollars USD at walmart. the chinese workaround doesnt work this devices either. *Edit* Also it has the AML8276-M6 chip and like i said earlier NOTHING in the same tablet family with the same chipset works for root with this device.

Last edited:

soinclined

Nov 25, 2010
I'm with you on rooting this thing, i have scoured the internet for days trying to find information on rooting this device. I have the Nextbook Premium 8HD sells for 99 dollars USD at walmart. the chinese workaround doesnt work this devices either. *Edit* Also it has the AML8276-M6 chip and like i said earlier NOTHING in the same tablet family with the same chipset works for root with this device.

We're going to have to go back to Walmart and buy some of these as gifts to hand around to the cool kids here in the hopes one of them breaks into it.

Powers16

Dec 13, 2007
Gallatin
packaging was misleading as well, I read the barcode at walmart and it said "Google Play nextbook" and noticed the likewise of the Nexus font on the packaging. It wasn't until i got it home and inspected the box just to find the "efun" logo discreetly on the side. I am still very impressed with the packaging though, for 99 dollars the quality of the packaging was very good. The LCD screen is something that is less desirable but its not the kind of screen i would expect to have like my galaxy Tab 10.1. Overall i am happy with it but i still need root to hide its manufacture id on google play. I am unable to download most of my apps as they keep saying they are not supported.

Vengeance66

Dec 7, 2012
Tetovo
rainbowenter.com
Hi,

I have also the Nextbook Premium 8SE bought last year and have ICS installed. It's not that good as expected. I asked at Nextbook support they told me that JB is not in plans for Premium 8SE.

I've tried to get those 4.1.1 custom roms, but I cannot even install the drivers, the tablet won't even connect in flash mode with UP+DOWN buttons pressed while plugging the usb cable.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

jenhodges14

Jun 28, 2014
How to root Nextbook Premium SE

Hey! I have a Next book Premium SE. I tried everything to root this crazy thing, and finally I was able to do so with a free application called kingo android root and a Windows computer. It wasn't listed in their supported devices, but it worked. You can Google it for more info. It only took about 5 minutes after I found that application. Now I am working on finding a successful ROM for this obscure tablet.