[Q] Problem with #NCSIG# and #NCSIGN# on SGS3/Sprint

Search This thread

Doktor Jones

Jun 7, 2012
I have Zooper Widget Pro on my rooted/modded (CM 10.2.0-d2spr) Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3. I've noticed that when I'm on anything other than 4G/LTE, I get sensible values for #NCSIG# and #NCSIGN#. However, when my phone connects to an LTE tower, #NCSIG# jumps to/stays at 99, and #NCSIGN# jumps to/stays at 85 (positive, not negative).

Is there a reason for this, and any fix/workaround? I'm trying to use it to display a progress bar, but when the numbers go wonky like that it's not very helpful. Since my office and home both have varying degrees of LTE coverage, I usually end up with a useless progress bar most of the time :(

Thanks!

Last edited:

A.L.2009

Sep 21, 2009
I have similar issues on VZW. NSIG is always 99 and NCSIGN is always 85.....Works for a short time after a reboot but eventually goes back to this.

VZW GNEX 4.22

Doktor Jones

Jun 7, 2012
I have similar issues on VZW. NSIG is always 99 and NCSIGN is always 85.....Works for a short time after a reboot but eventually goes back to this.

VZW GNEX 4.22

A.L.2009, what ROM are you running? Try turning off LTE (Settings > Wireless & Networks > More... > Mobile Networks > Network Mode) and select one similar to "CDMA/EvDo auto" (or another one that mentions CDMA but not LTE). If you get more sensible numbers after turning that off, then it's likely a problem with LTE specifically... if not, then I'm stumped :p

To the devs: I'd be willing to help debug this if you have any special tools to do so :)

nukedawg

Oct 11, 2011
Not sure if this is your issue but this is how I set up my WiFi and Cell progress bars:

For WiFi progress bar, under the 'Edit Progress Min/Max/Value' setting I have the Min set at 0, value is #NWSIG# and Max is set to 9.
For Cell progress bar, under the 'Edit Progress Min/Max/Value' setting I have the Min set at 0, value is #NCSIG# and Max is set to 31.

The reasoning is that the zooper fields for NWSIG field has values between 0 and 9 while NCSIG has values betwen 0 and 31. NCSIG also shows ASU as a value, but I have no idea what that is. Setting the max value to these settings makes the progress bar seem more usable to me than a setting of 0 to 100.

Doktor Jones

Jun 7, 2012
Not sure if this is your issue but this is how I set up my WiFi and Cell progress bars:

The progress bars work just fine on any other network (1x, 3g, ehrpd), but when the phone connects to 4g/LTE, the numbers go wonky. I get the feeling this is a CDMA-specific issue, since I'm on Sprint and A.L.2009 is on Verizon. I imagine if it occurred on GSM networks too, it would've gotten more attention by now.

BlueDrgBlade

Jan 7, 2011
Mulvane, KS
I just posted about this in a thread and a wonderful themer kwerdenker pointed me here Android Source CellSignalStrengthCdma you will have to use #NCSIGN# as for the progress bar code it will look like this or at least its what i did...

Code:
min = $#NCELL#=Sprint?-100:0$ value $#NCELL#=Sprint?#NCSIGN#*-1:#NCSIG#$ max $#NCELL#=Sprint?-75:31$

That code should allow for either DBM (Sprint) or ASU (GSM) i did it on my nexus 5...hope that helps

Doktor Jones

Jun 7, 2012
I just posted about this in a thread and a wonderful themer kwerdenker pointed me here Android Source CellSignalStrengthCdma you will have to use #NCSIGN# as for the progress bar code it will look like this or at least its what i did...

Code:
min = $#NCELL#=Sprint?-100:0$ value $#NCELL#=Sprint?#NCSIGN#*-1:#NCSIG#$ max $#NCELL#=Sprint?-75:31$

That code should allow for either DBM (Sprint) or ASU (GSM) i did it on my nexus 5...hope that helps

Yeah, that source code highlights the problem:
Get the LTE signal level as an asu value between 0..97, 99 is unknown
Whenever I'm connected to LTE, the value comes up "99".

BlueDrgBlade

Jan 7, 2011
Mulvane, KS
That's what I get also on my n5...I just gave up on the asu for CDMA for that reason. I'm sure someone a lot smarter than I has a way but I haven't figured it out yet.. Sorry :(

Doktor Jones

Jun 7, 2012
Yeah... I can't use dbm either, because it's supposed to be a negative value, but when I connect to LTE it goes to +85 o_O

BlueDrgBlade

Jan 7, 2011
Mulvane, KS
Yeah... I can't use dbm either, because it's supposed to be a negative value, but when I connect to LTE it goes to +85 o_O

If you use the code i posted it will allow for a progress part to work....you have to basically make it negative. I saw the positive on my LTE on my N5 and that is how i got it to work with a progress bar. However i didn't check to see what the regular signal for voice would show up as...if that is already negative i will make modifications to my code and post it...going to check that right now.

EDIT: I just tested it and voice goes to a negative number so i will make changes to the code and re-post for you guys.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Okay i got the new code for the value section on a progress bar that will allow for the change...my N5 only connects to LTE unless i need to make or get a call then it switches networks from Data to Voice network and thus why i didn't think about the issue you just brought up...

here's the code hope this helps....
Code:
$#NCELL#=Sprint && #NCSIGN#>-1?(#NCSIGN#*-1):#NCSIGN#$ $#NCELL#!=Sprint?#NCSIG#$

Last edited:

Doktor Jones

Jun 7, 2012
If you use the code i posted it will allow for a progress part to work....you have to basically make it negative. I saw the positive on my LTE on my N5 and that is how i got it to work with a progress bar. However i didn't check to see what the regular signal for voice would show up as...if that is already negative i will make modifications to my code and post it...going to check that right now.

That doesn't actually solve the problem; normally (1x, 3G, EHRPD) the values are already negative, ranging from -125 to about -60 (theoretically it could go much higher, but -62 is the best I've ever seen, standing within ~100yd of a tower with LOS). If I just use some math magic to make the invert the positive, it still doesn't resolve the fact that the 85 is an entirely invalid value. However, doing some more Googling, it looks more like it might be a ROM-related issue with Sprint LTE; in other words, ZW gets bad data, and just merrily runs along with it.

BlueDrgBlade

Jan 7, 2011
Mulvane, KS
That doesn't actually solve the problem; normally (1x, 3G, EHRPD) the values are already negative, ranging from -125 to about -60 (theoretically it could go much higher, but -62 is the best I've ever seen, standing within ~100yd of a tower with LOS). If I just use some math magic to make the invert the positive, it still doesn't resolve the fact that the 85 is an entirely invalid value. However, doing some more Googling, it looks more like it might be a ROM-related issue with Sprint LTE; in other words, ZW gets bad data, and just merrily runs along with it.

I noticed that looking over more of the source code for android...but my last code post above should allow for this goof up in the system.

ThecatboyFelix

Oct 5, 2016
I have a similar issue with my Droid Turbo on VZW. ASU comes up as -3, but dBm comes up as around -119, which is not my real signal strength. It's breaking one of the indicators on my shiny new widget.