[Q] Has switching to a custom kernel solved anyone's random reboots?

Search This thread

panchito_d

Dec 18, 2013
I bought my N7 (Flo) in early January and am loving it except for the random reboots. I did a factory restore and on the first boot got up to around 92hrs of uptime with about 50% battery usage before a crash. Subsequent boots aren't quite hitting that mark. As everyone knows it's hard to tell at exactly what intervals as it will crash while it is sleeping, not just in use.

Has switching to a custom kernel provided better stability for anyone?

yosmokinman

Sep 30, 2012
Yes. I can only speak for CM11 but flashing Glitch kernel completely stopped the reboots and also the random buzzing noise from the speakers.

I didn't try the kernel on stock (also had reboots) but go ahead it might work. Make a nandroid first.

I really thought the reboots were hardware related but after going through three devices, 16 and 32gb models and 06, 07 and 08 build dates, they all randomly rebooted. Glitch has solved it (again at least on CM11). I'm sure it's a software problem now.

Last edited:

thisguysayswht

Jun 16, 2013
So, here's my experience with this. I bought my first nexus 7.2, at a best buy in north Dallas, in October. I experienced random reboots, right out of the box, about once a day, usually when I was browsing chrome, or when the tablet was sitting on the home screen without being touched. My gf bought a nexus 7.2 as well, at the same store in November, and she was not experiencing any random reboots, hers has always been stock, to this day (my suspicions began). I figured it was a software, or app problem, and waited for a fix from Google, or my app developers. Tried various custom Roms in the meantime (cm11, dirty unicorns, silmrom, and many more). I also tried various kernel's, in combination with said Roms (Franco, ElementalX, glitch, bulletproof). I had random reboots with all combinations of Roms and kernels. Did a factory data reset after every update from Google, and tried it for a week or so every time. Still experienced random reboots. I finally got fed up and took my table back in early January, to the same best buy in north Dallas. After receiving my second tablet, I kept it stock for a week, and then restored my preferred twrp backup, that I had taken with the rebooting tablet ( stock 4.4 krt16s, xposed framework, ElementalX 2.2 @1.7 and 450, with the motoX dalvik and bionic patches). With the new tablet, I have not experienced one random reboot, either with the stock software, or the custom software.

So, long story short, if your experiencing random reboots, if you have the ability to, I would take it back. Maybe you can fix it with software enhancements, but IMO it just shouldn't do this, stock or otherwise, and warrants a return.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out for you, the reboots were personally driving me crazy, and I'm glad my second tablet doesn't reboot like its got a mind of its own.

Last edited:
Reactions: panchito_d

panchito_d

Dec 18, 2013
So, long story short, if your experiencing random reboots, if you have the ability to, I would take it back. Maybe you can fix it with software enhancements, but IMO it just shouldn't do this, stock or otherwise, and warrants a return.

I also bought mine at a Best Buy but am a few weeks out of the return period. I'll give it a try and see if they'll take it back. I was really trying to avoid sending it to Asus. Thanks for your input.

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto
I never had any random reboot issues however, it might have been due to having it running on CleanRom 2.6 and ElementalX Kernel since almost day 1. These two make the device so snappy I don't even care.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, here's my experience with this. I bought my first nexus 7.2, at a best buy in north Dallas, in October. I experienced random reboots, right out of the box, about once a day, usually when I was browsing chrome, or when the tablet was sitting on the home screen without being touched. My gf bought a nexus 7.2 as well, at the same store in November, and she was not experiencing any random reboots, hers has always been stock, to this day (my suspicions began). I figured it was a software, or app problem, and waited for a fix from Google, or my app developers. Tried various custom Roms in the meantime (cm11, dirty unicorns, silmrom, and many more). I also tried various kernel's, in combination with said Roms (Franco, ElementalX, glitch, bulletproof). I had random reboots with all combinations of Roms and kernels. Did a factory data reset after every update from Google, and tried it for a week or so every time. Still experienced random reboots. I finally got fed up and took my table back in early January, to the same best buy in north Dallas. After receiving my second tablet, I kept it stock for a week, and then restored my preferred twrp backup, that I had taken with the rebooting tablet ( stock 4.4 krt16s, xposed framework, ElementalX 2.2 @1.7 and 450, with the motoX dalvik and bionic patches). With the new tablet, I have not experienced one random reboot, either with the stock software, or the custom software.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out for you, the reboots were personally driving me crazy, and I'm glad my second tablet doesn't reboot like its got a mind of its own.