[Q] HTC M8 Quirks

Search This thread

jacob_s

Jan 2, 2012
Hello everyone!

I just got my Verizon HTC M8 and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing these (possible) issues:

1. On Firmware 1.55.605.2-1.12.605.11_R3 , when I press "Check new" under "Software update", it sits for about a minute at "Checking for new software..." and eventually says "We were not able to download this update....". Does this mean there is an update and it's failing to download, or is this just their (stupid) way of saying "Nothing to see here".
  2. BoomSound causes hissing while on. To replicate, start a Youtube video, and pause it. In the short time between you pausing and the BoomSound notification icon disappearing, the speaker will have an amplifier hiss to it. If you have a good ear, you can hear this during playback in the background.
  3. Occasional WiFi hiccups - I've had this on every android device so far, but every once in a while the WiFi just stops working and I have to toggle it off/on.
  4. Constant "Youtube stopped working"... at least a couple times a day I'll get this warning. Seems this is the only app.

Also, is there any way to restore the things Verizon removed (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2729137) without root? Specifically HTC Backup?

Thanks! My 2 week return ends this coming Sunday, so I was just making sure I shouldn't try to get it replaced before that :)

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
I've had my m8 for a week now and the only issue I have Is a loose volume rocker. But with a case on it's fine. I'd get yours replaced personally.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jacob_s

Jan 2, 2012
I've had my m8 for a week now and the only issue I have Is a loose volume rocker. But with a case on it's fine. I'd get yours replaced personally.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ya, I have the loose buttons too... just wiggles enough to be annoying, but the case resolved that for me as well. As much as I wanted to go caseless, I'm too clumsy ;)

Does yours show the same thing when trying to software update?

Quadrider10

Sep 21, 2012
www.youtube.com
I've noticed the hissing too. Happens in the ear phones too or especially in calls. For YouTube, uninstall updates an reinstall. Reboot device. I had those issues too.

jacob_s

Jan 2, 2012
@jacob_s your question has been moved to the device Q&A section. Please be sure to post in the correct location, as this ensures the best responses:good:

Thank you,

Thanks - sorry about that.

So, can anyone confirm the update issue? My biggest concern is that I tried weeksauce but it didn't do what I needed. I want to be sure that I can still get OTA.

tomkins0752

Dec 11, 2012
Some dump in the south
Thanks - sorry about that.

So, can anyone confirm the update issue? My biggest concern is that I tried weeksauce but it didn't do what I needed. I want to be sure that I can still get OTA.

If the update continues to be a problem, you might need to do Weaksauce temporarily and download the official OTA and put it in the right place and manually update your phone. There were a few threads covering this. It is really simple to do.

There are a few options in the phone that cut connection to Wi-Fi, so go check these under Settings:
-Wi-Fi>Then hit the three dots in the top right corner and choose Advanced>and take a look at the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" option.
-Power>and then check out your "Sleep mode" options and, if your phone has it, the "Power saver" options.

I haven't personally heard any issues with my speakers due to BoomSound, so I can't really help there. If none of this helps, I would say go and have your phone swapped out.
If you checked this all already, I'm sorry! Good luck man. This phone is a beast and I hope you get it working. :good: