Samsung Galaxy Tab 30 Pin Dock Connector Pinout

Search This thread

eskimopieusa

Mar 28, 2014
Question 1 / 2: Anyone know which pins are needed to support HDMI or more specifically which pins are used by the official Samsung HDMI adapter for Samsung Tab 2 10.1? Reason I am asking is the adapter is just to cumbersome with a HDMI cable, charger cable, and the 3" cable to the tablet so I want to build m-2-m 30 pin connector cable and rather not have to solder 60 connections! Lots of expense otherwise to figure this out by trial and error (ex. makertronic /samsung-tabbreakout is $20 and I need two but damn if I can find desired cable :(
Question 2 / 2: To the above, if I must use a 30 conductor cable, any ideas? Tried searching for 2+ hours without any luck - it needs to be thin, possibly foil, and suitable for purpose. I am near certain the 3" cable on adapter is not 30 conductors and probably no more than HDMI (19 pin?) is needed.
Thank you all

ildar_prophet

Apr 20, 2011
johan-notes.blogspot.com
Question 1 / 2: Anyone know which pins are needed to support HDMI or more specifically which pins are used by the official Samsung HDMI adapter for Samsung Tab 2 10.1? Reason I am asking is the adapter is just to cumbersome with a HDMI cable, charger cable, and the 3" cable to the tablet so I want to build m-2-m 30 pin connector cable and rather not have to solder 60 connections! Lots of expense otherwise to figure this out by trial and error (ex. makertronic /samsung-tabbreakout is $20 and I need two but damn if I can find desired cable :(
Question 2 / 2: To the above, if I must use a 30 conductor cable, any ideas? Tried searching for 2+ hours without any luck - it needs to be thin, possibly foil, and suitable for purpose. I am near certain the 3" cable on adapter is not 30 conductors and probably no more than HDMI (19 pin?) is needed.
Thank you all

Looking at HDMI adapter pictures I suspect it has some schematic inside, not just bare "cable" because the adapter is quite massive. Also the pinouts I've seen have no mention about HDMI.
I suspect the HDMI is connected to USB host pins.

chris.arney

Oct 4, 2010
Looking at HDMI adapter pictures I suspect it has some schematic inside, not just bare "cable" because the adapter is quite massive. Also the pinouts I've seen have no mention about HDMI.
I suspect the HDMI is connected to USB host pins.

The MHL pins are most likely where they are getting the HDMI signal. This requires a bridge chip to translate between protocols.

MHL is a standard designed to allow a mobile device to transmit HDMI over a different connector it would already have. (Most often USB.) Samsung has diverged from the norm and has combined MHL in different ways on different products. The GS3, it was an 11 pin connector compatible with USB micro. On the Tabs, it's rolled into the 30 pin connector. Here's more info on MHL:
http://www.mhlconsortium.org/consumer.aspx

The spec can only be downloaded by becoming an adopter. Silicon Image makes some bridge chips, but don't have datasheets readily available on their website.
http://www.siliconimage.com/solutions/mobile/mhl-hdmi-bridge/

I know that this post is forever old, but I'm always frustrated trying to find the answer to lingering questions on forums. I came here hoping to find where I can purchase just the 30 pin connector itself. I'd like to roll my own dock with specific features for my Note 10.1 that I'd like to combine into a case. Yeah, I'll probably never get around to it, but it's fun to think about.

rtiangha

Jan 3, 2012
I bought my third party charge cables and OTG adapters from Chinese shops like dx.com. If you're looking for a cable to hack, places like that and eBay might be an option. Older Apple ipod cables will fit as well, but I think I read somewhere that Samsung reversed the pin order in theirs. I'm not adventurous enough to try swapping cables between the two myself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    not sure if its been posted so here you go

Samsung Galaxy Tab 30 Pin Dock Connector Pinout
    gxtabpinout.jpg

Here's the pinout configuration of theSamsung Galaxy Tab from left to right solder pins of the dock connector.
    Image courtesy of Droidangel.com

This is the technical info of Samsung Galaxy Tab Pinouts for digital and analog I/O on the 30 pin dock connector.

1 Gnd P
    2 Gnd P
    3 USB_DP_CON I/O
    4 USB_DM_CON I/O
    5 IF_CON_SENSE I
    6 V_ACCESSORY_5.0V P
    7 V_BUS_1 P
    8 V_BUS_1 P
    9 VOUT_CHARGER P
    10 VOUT_CHARGER P
    11 no connection
    12 no connection
    13 ACCESSORY_ID / USB_ID I
    14 ACCESSORY_INT I
    15 Gnd P
    16 Gnd P
    17 MHL_DP I/O
    18 MHL_DM I/O
    19 MHL_ID I
    20 IF_RXD I
    21 IF_TXD O
    22 no connection?
    23 AP_TV_OUT O
    24 REMOTE_SENSE I
    25 no connection
    26 no connection
    27 EAR_L_CRADLE O
    28 EAR_R_CRADLE O
    29 3.5_INT_TEST I
    30 Gnd P
    The problem probably lies on the MHL_ID. I have tried connecting the MHL_ID to ground but it didn't work. I wonder if anyone can give me some hints? Should I add some resistors? Where can I find more information?

I have seen a block diagram in page 11 of this datasheet You can see there that the MicroUSB pin 4 is connected to the MHL Proccessor, so may be that you have to connect MHL_ID to pin 4 in the MicroUSB connector.