Replacement gorilla glass?

Search This thread

hah2110

Nov 11, 2008
The digitizers on eBay prob aren't gorilla glass, right? Can you get replacement that is real?

ezantera

Jan 23, 2011
Did you replace it or not? :) i am interested in how you brake it considering it is gorilla glass. How much force need to brake it?

jovus

Nov 28, 2007
novi sad
True. Mine got dropped on the upper left edge of the phone(and it was from the height of 1m or less) and it got shaterd. Now I am searching for replacement. The phone and the screen still work but it just looks ugly. :(

Fuzorx

Jun 3, 2009
edit* my post doesn't apply for this thread lol but it seems defy is brickproof also. :)

Last edited:

ZookNC

Jan 25, 2011
Chantonnay
Hi everyone,

I just received my new digitizer from Ecell and it's glass, not plastic, so so far so good.
However, does anyone know how to fit it to the phone ? I'm not sure if it comes with adhesive or not (didn't look at it in detail) and how to remove the old digitizer without damaging the phone ?

thanks,

Arnaud.

Last edited:

farsight73

Dec 29, 2010
Selangor
If I'm not mistaken someone here in XDA had already open up the Defy. Search and you find it. But you will need to replace the front casing as well once you opened up your Defy..

Or you can follow this site guide Here

Last edited:

ZookNC

Jan 25, 2011
Chantonnay
Ok everyone, I looked into this a bit deeper.
The digitizer I got from ebay selle Ecell looks genuine. It has the same serial number as the original and everything looks exactly the same. For those looking for a genuine Gorilla Glass replacement digitizer, I think we've found it.

There is no adhesive though and I am still looking for something suitable.

Farsight, you DONT have to replace the front casing once you've opened up the Defy. Or at least I don't see why you should.

Anyway, I'll keep you up to date as soon as my defy is back in action.

Cheers,

Arnaud.

scrannel

Aug 27, 2007
Ok everyone, I looked into this a bit deeper.
The digitizer I got from ebay selle Ecell looks genuine. It has the same serial number as the original and everything looks exactly the same. For those looking for a genuine Gorilla Glass replacement digitizer, I think we've found it.

There is no adhesive though and I am still looking for something suitable.

Farsight, you DONT have to replace the front casing once you've opened up the Defy. Or at least I don't see why you should.

Anyway, I'll keep you up to date as soon as my defy is back in action.

Cheers,

Arnaud.

If I'm not mistaken, the idea for changing the front casing is to ensure the phone remains water resistant.

torgil

Jan 8, 2011
Kristianstad
Trying to replace broken gorilla glass

Here is a video of me trying to replace the broken glass on my Defy. The replacement was successful although the final result got dirty from the glue I used.

A better solution would be to replace the whole front housing with speaker, glass and digitizer. Anyone knows where one can by a complete Defy front housing?

Last edited:

narfnarf

Sep 26, 2008
I bought mine from no.1-tech on ebay and it looks genuine to me, too. Did yours come in a plastic bag that says "resealable" and has a sort of glue strip to close it?

Btw, globaldirectparts has everything, the digitizer, the adhesive, complete front and back housing etc. but the minimum amount of 5pcs per item is kind of a turn-off...:rolleyes:

ZookNC

Jan 25, 2011
Chantonnay
Yes, mine came in a resealable plastic bag with a glue strip as well.

I ended up buying some two sided tape and I cut strips to fit where the original adhesive was. It all looks very clean but now the proximity sensor doesn't work properly and the screen turns off whenever I make or answer a call. It turns back on when I press on the screen in the top left hand corner. I tried searching for a way to recalibrate the proximity sensor but I haven't found anything that works on the Defy.

If anyone has any idea on how to do this (and I'm pretty sure it's possible), could you please let everyone know?

Thank you

Cheers,

Arnaud.

riobenny

Jun 13, 2011
nice info, i dont know if we can change the glass. i thought before if we broke the glass, means we broke the LCD

dzzdefy

Mar 12, 2011
True. Mine got dropped on the upper left edge of the phone(and it was from the height of 1m or less) and it got shaterd. Now I am searching for replacement. The phone and the screen still work but it just looks ugly. :(

Happened the same to me. from 1 meter. i got the glass from ebay yesterday.

farsight73

Dec 29, 2010
Selangor
Here is a video of me trying to replace the broken glass on my Defy. The replacement was successful although the final result got dirty from the glue I used.

A better solution would be to replace the whole front housing with speaker, glass and digitizer. Anyone knows where one can by a complete Defy front housing?

From the video. Best still to change the whole front casing together with the glass screen. It's very dirty in the end and surely the water resistant would not work anymore.

Did your Defy managed to power up? I see the video look like it's dead??

Sent from my awesome Moto Defy Gingerbread 2.3.3 - XDA Premium

torgil

Jan 8, 2011
Kristianstad
Yes, the phone did power up - battery was empty.

The phone is working ok but, as you mentioned, the glass got very dirty. Using another type of glue and being a bit more exact when fixing the new glass to the front housing might have given better result.

As for the water reistance I'm already convinced that the defy is water resistant but the front speaker is not. Already got two front speakers replaced because of water damage.

I'm looking for a front housing with glass and speaker. I've already tried to replace the speaker om another defy but that was not so easy because the speaker is glued to the front.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Trying to replace broken gorilla glass

yes it can broke, it's just scratch resistant, not broke-into-pieces resistant.
    i guess you mean spare parts instead of accessoires.

glass + digitizer: www.ebay.com/itm/170743084526

glass + digitizer + black plastic frame: www.ebay.com/itm/170743089586

the last one is more expensive, but easier to change as you dont have to remove the glass from your old frame and then glue the new glass on the old frame. so you just replace the complete frontside.