Surface Flinger memory leak supposedly fixed!

Search This thread

noneabove

May 1, 2011
Matthew Fry posted the following here:

Ladies and gentlemen, I have the most amazing news. Pretty much the best news I can think of.
I have finally received word back from the Mali Developers. They revisited the issue and found that the fault was indeed in the Mali drivers.
"Following previous emails, the Nexus 10 issue that you have been mentioning has been fixed in the latest versions of the Mali driver."
It is, unfortunately, Google's responsibility to release this new driver version with the next Nexus 10 factory image. We can only hope that the fact that I/O has come and gone and the recent release of the Google Edition S4 and One on 4.2.2 does not mean that JB 4.3 or KLP are a long ways out.

So hopefully we'll see the drivers soon! They're supposed to be released here when ready!

enik_fox

Apr 4, 2011
Dahlonega, Ga
I really hope they fix this issue. I turn off my tablet at night so its not a huge issue but on heavy usage days I'm guaranteed at least a reboot if not more.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: HarmonyFlame

patsmike

Dec 27, 2011
Boston, MA
Wow I am so happy. Good thing I didn't end up selling my tablet yet! Also seems like 4.3 is coming on July 24th, looking forward to it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

rootusr

Dec 5, 2010
That sounds great! however... not sure if that is something that is going to be included in Android 4.3, if it was recently released Google would have to make a lot of testing before put that in Android 4.3, maybe it was distributed to them before, will see next week..

lvnatic

Dec 5, 2010
Iasi
I also can't wait to have a stable system that runs without fault for days, without having to reboot. I use a auto-reboot app that launches everyday at 7:10 AM just after my alarm, no biggie but if I watch some html videos...

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
Stupid Samsung. Ugh.

It was their mistake from the beginning. Idiots.

Not buying anything more from them for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 10

Reactions: samwheat

springy

Dec 26, 2010
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2338761

Mention here first.

I think we have to hope it is going to be release as part of the 4.3 update. If the Mali update was from the 14th June then I think it will be included in the 4.3 update. If it is the 14th July then maybe we might not see it until 4.3.1 or KLP. Let's hope it makes it :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

fifthelement

Jun 12, 2006
That sounds great! however... not sure if that is something that is going to be included in Android 4.3, if it was recently released Google would have to make a lot of testing before put that in Android 4.3, maybe it was distributed to them before, will see next week..

If Google had done just a little bit of testing, we were not talking about this issue today. So I don't think they care about testing or quality. We are their lab mouses.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

fifthelement

Jun 12, 2006
Can you explain this?

He means install Nova launcher from playstore and use it as your default launcher. Also in advanced settings of Nova launcher there is an option for keeping the screens in memory to avoid redraws. You can enable it but I am not having any redraws even with having this option disabled. Just use Nova launcher.

darkuni

Sep 12, 2010
I see the driver was released.

Is there a ROM/image built with it yet? I've been poking around and haven't had any luck.

Do we REALLY have to wait for Google?

fifthelement

Jun 12, 2006
I see the driver was released.

Is there a ROM/image built with it yet? I've been poking around and haven't had any luck.

Do we REALLY have to wait for Google?

It seems these are not complete source codes and in fact you need ddk - driver development kit - to build real drivers which is not available to devs. So I guess we should wait for Google.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Matthew Fry posted the following here:

Ladies and gentlemen, I have the most amazing news. Pretty much the best news I can think of.
    I have finally received word back from the Mali Developers. They revisited the issue and found that the fault was indeed in the Mali drivers.
    "Following previous emails, the Nexus 10 issue that you have been mentioning has been fixed in the latest versions of the Mali driver."
    It is, unfortunately, Google's responsibility to release this new driver version with the next Nexus 10 factory image. We can only hope that the fact that I/O has come and gone and the recent release of the Google Edition S4 and One on 4.2.2 does not mean that JB 4.3 or KLP are a long ways out.

So hopefully we'll see the drivers soon! They're supposed to be released here when ready!
    You guys are totally misunderstanding the issue.

Surfaceflinger would eat RAM like crazy, lock the system or randomly reboot. It no longer does this. The problem is fixed.

If an application has a RAM leak, that's the application, NOT the OS. It's a totally different issue and it's NOT Android.

Case in point: Since 4.3, my step-daughter has renewed her love for the Nexus 10 since it no longer crashes on her, closes her games and randomly reboots. On 4.2.2 all the aforementioned would happen and it put her off using it. Since the end of last month she's spent about 5 hours a day on the damn thing hammering the battery and usage. Nop reboots. No lock ups. No game's randomly closing. On 4.3, none of that happens. Lock ups and random reboots were the problem. The problem is fixed.
    I really hope they fix this issue. I turn off my tablet at night so its not a huge issue but on heavy usage days I'm guaranteed at least a reboot if not more.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Wow I am so happy. Good thing I didn't end up selling my tablet yet! Also seems like 4.3 is coming on July 24th, looking forward to it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
    No, since 4.3 it really seems to redraw more than before, and at times when memory should not be an issue. It is a little annoying.

working fine for me with nova launcher and the agresive desktop feature enabled

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4