[Q] Samsung Camera App on a custom rom???

Search This thread

ysungji

Apr 17, 2014
I'm rooting my Verizon Galaxy S4 (16g) with Cyanogenmod but only thing that stops me right now is the camera. The camera on the phone works great with Samsung's camera software. But since I'm moving on from Touchwiz to Cyanogenmod, I'm curious if there is any way to keep the Samsung's camera app on a custom rom. Thank you.

aznbatman

May 25, 2009
Washington, DC
Unfortunately the Samsung Camera App requires the Touchwiz framework. It doesn't work on AOSP roms. You can try the Eclipse rom. It has that AOSP look and feel but is touchwiz based so it has the Samsung Camera app on it. The dialer, settings, contacts, and notification panels are all AOSP.

Reactions: ysungji

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
I'm rooting my Verizon Galaxy S4 (16g) with Cyanogenmod but only thing that stops me right now is the camera. The camera on the phone works great with Samsung's camera software. But since I'm moving on from Touchwiz to Cyanogenmod, I'm curious if there is any way to keep the Samsung's camera app on a custom rom. Thank you.

You can only use it on a TW rom. It hooks into proprietary TW framework that we can't get source code for to port to AOSP.

If you use a GPE rom, such as the one by Danvdh, it's a little different. Since these are built on the GPE device base they're still AOSP roms but they use Samsung drivers for the camera. It's still as not as good as the full TW camera, but with a third party app (Google's camera still sucks) it's the best camera experience you'll get on AOSP on this phone.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: ysungji

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
You can only use it on a TW rom. It hooks into proprietary TW framework that we can't get source code for to port to AOSP.

If you use a GPE rom, such as the one by Danvdh, it's a little different. Since these are built on the GPE device base they're still AOSP roms but they use Samsung drivers for the camera. It's still as not as good as the full TW camera, but with a third party app (Google's camera still sucks) it's the best camera experience you'll get on AOSP on this phone.

All very true.. Have you used that Lenovo Super Camera??? I thougt it was really cool, comparable to the Wiz Camera, just depending on which version you found it either required all sorts of permissions/libraries . if we could scrounge up just an easy to install... No permissions Lenovo that'd be cool

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Reactions: joshm.1219

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
All very true.. Have you used that Lenovo Super Camera??? I thougt it was really cool, comparable to the Wiz Camera, just depending on which version you found it either required all sorts of permissions/libraries . if we could scrounge up just an easy to install... No permissions Lenovo that'd be cool

Yeah I tried it right when it got pulled from that Intel phone Lenovo came out with, I've never been much of a camera aficionado though. I thought the gallery app was really cool but a lot of Chinese all over the place lol.

Reactions: Mistertac

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unfortunately the Samsung Camera App requires the Touchwiz framework. It doesn't work on AOSP roms. You can try the Eclipse rom. It has that AOSP look and feel but is touchwiz based so it has the Samsung Camera app on it. The dialer, settings, contacts, and notification panels are all AOSP.

Yeah I tried it right when it got pulled from that Intel phone Lenovo came out with, I've never been much of a camera aficionado though. I thought the gallery app was really cool but a lot of Chinese all over the place lol.