JSS15Q replaces JSS15J - Multi-touch, GPS, corrupt eMMC, PRNG addressed, other fixes?

Search This thread

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
JSS15Q factory images and OTAs available in Downloads section (below)

*WARNING* JSS15Q touchscreen firmware is a one-way street, no going back
*UPDATE* there is now a solution for touchscreen issues below

• If you just want the GPS fix, see this post.
  • If you have touchscreen issues, see this post.

Apparently the JSS15J got pulled as folks who were on JWR66N and had the notification of the update no longer have the notification showing up. Also the downloaded ota update.zip in their /cache directory is no longer there.

Separately there are reports of a JSS15Q update going out which appears to be alleviating the multi-touch and GPS issues.

Let's discuss/consolidate peoples' experiences with JSS15Q in this thread so we can see what changed, got fixed, or was made worse.

You can see some comments from folks about JSS15Q alleviating Multi-touch and GPS issues at the bottom of these threads on google product forums:
  • Multi-touch - reports of improvement, no improvement, and some worse
  • GPS - reports of mostly completely fixed
  • Random reboots - no real success stories regarding JSS15Q

Initial impressions
For Multi-touch, it appears there are hardware variances which the software needs to account for. Some folks are seeing everything fixed, some people are seeing no change, and some people are seeing new problems introduced. So if you didn't notice issues is JWR66N but started seeing issues in JSS15J, this update will be good for you. If you already saw issues in JWR66N, then this update probably won't do anything for you. More recently there have been some reports of JSS15Q making touchscreen issues worse.

Unscientifically, most people are reporting either multi-touch is fixed or no change and a few are reporting it is worse.

If you continue to have multi-touch/touchscreen issues, see this post for a solution.

The specific change for Multi-Touch was the firmware was updated to A042. See this post for the whole sordid history of our touchscreen firmware.

Our touchscreen is made by Elan Microelectronics. See their Youtube video demonstrating their capabilities using of all things, YAMTT!

For GPS, most people are reporting that their issues with GPS losing lock after a period of time are now resolved completely.

For random reboots, no definitive info on whether there is any improvement.

UserData eMMC corruption seems to have been addressed, see this post.

It appears the PRNG vulnerability is addressed. See this post for more info.

See list of patched areas for places to focus on looking for improvements.
Facelock, GPS, NFC, Sensor, AAC encoding/decoding, and Camera seem to have the most changes.

Change summary:
  • JSS15J(4.3_r2.1)->JSS15Q(4.3_r2.2) AOSP Changelog.
Mini guides:
Downloads:
JSS15Q
  • JSS15Q Factory Image (thanks roy827, poisike, Zylograth)
    Source: pure stock - Format: flash in fastboot/bootloader
    Guide: flashing factory images
    Caveats:
    • requires unlocked bootloader
    • options to wipe or preserve user data
  • JWR66N->JSS15Q OTA (thanks Zylograth, Aerys)
    Source: pure stock - Format: flash with stock recovery (adb sideload) or in TWRP/CWM
    Guide: adb sideload
    Caveats:
    • MUST be running unmodified JWR66N
    • If you are rooted with SuperSU, OTA will fail near the end. See this post for explanation/fix.
    • stock recovery does not require unlocked bootloader
    • preserves user data
  • JSS15J->JSS15Q OTA (thanks roy827, poisike, Zylograth)
    Source: pure stock - Format: flash with stock recovery (adb sideload) or in TWRP/CWM
    Caveats:
    • MUST be running unmodified JSS15J
    • If you are rooted with SuperSU, OTA will fail near the end. See this post for explanation/fix.
    • preserves user data
  • JSS15Q repackaged TWRP/CWM-flashable
    Source: slightly modified stock - Format: flash in TWRP/CWM
    Caveats:
    • this is not pure stock and will not work with future OTAs
    • this is rooted, with unsecured kernel, and init.d support
    • odexed and deodexed versions
    • preserves user data
Factory images (direct download)
Stock kernel/recovery
Root/SuperSU
====

Update #1:

Paul Wilcox Google community manager writes:
Hi everyone,

As a couple of you have mentioned, there's a new system update that's started rolling out for your Nexus 7s. This update does address the touchscreen issues discussed in this thread. If you're one of the people experiencing touchscreen issues, please let us know how it's going after you've received and installed the update.​

Update #1.1

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience while we've been working on this. As Justin mentioned, there is a new over-the-air update for Nexus 7 rolling out now that addresses the GPS issue discussed here. We look forward to hearing feedback about your GPS experience after you've received the update.

Update #1.2

Hi everyone,

We understand that several of your have received the recent Android 4.3 update but are still experiencing touchscreen issues -- we're looking into it.​

Update #3:

If you are rooted with SuperSU, OTA will fail near the end.

See this post for explanation and fix:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=44597339#post44597339

Update #4:

Watched pot never boils.

For those folks constantly clicking check for update hoping it will download, usually in the early days of a rollout there is a process that randomly chooses device id's that will receive the update. If your unit hasn't been chosen, no amount of pressing check for update will get you the update, until you are chosen.

After the initial rollout they turn it on for everyone.

Once the URL is available, you can manually download and install using stock recovery and adb sideload or, if you are more bold, using custom recovery, though IMO it is safest to use stock recovery for OTAs.

Update #7:

First XDA report of JSS15Q factory image resolving multi-touch issues

AnandTech says GPS issues resolved as well.

Some reports of update not helping with multi-touch [andrewNY / phazerorg]

Attachments

• stock-kernel-JWR66N.zip
    7.7 MB · Views: 165
  • stock-kernel-JSS15J.zip
    7.7 MB · Views: 136
  • stock-recovery-JSS15J.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 209
  • stock-kernel-JSS15Q.zip
    7.7 MB · Views: 327
  • stock-recovery-JSS15Q.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 364
Last edited:

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
Apparently the JSS15J got pulled as folks who were on JWR66N and had the notification of the update no longer have the notification showing up. Also the downloaded ota update.zip in their /cache directory is no longer there.

Separately there are reports of a JSS15Q update going out which appears to be alleviating the multi-touch issues.

Let's discuss/consolidate peoples' experiences with JSS15Q in this thread so we can see what changed, got fixed, or was made worse.

You can see some comments from folks about JSS15Q alleviating multi-touch issues at the bottom of this thread on google product forums:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/mobile/W0Hfkq8hf-c/9pZO-D_8Y7gJ

Google guy paulw has specifically said JSS15Q alleviates the touch issues

". This update does address the touchscreen issues discussed in this thread. If you're one of the people experiencing touchscreen issues, please let us know how it's going after you've received and installed the update."

Gah and I just unlocked/customed my N7..... guess I gotta wait till the chefs rebase or pull the pin, roll back to stock

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Thanks, apparently he posted that right after I hit submit :)

Of course the big question now is how it is working out for people who had the multi-touch issues and whether this does anything to address the gps and random reboot issues.

Last edited:

blackhand1001

Sep 3, 2011
Google guy paulw has specifically said JSS15Q alleviates the touch issues

". This update does address the touchscreen issues discussed in this thread. If you're one of the people experiencing touchscreen issues, please let us know how it's going after you've received and installed the update."

Gah and I just unlocked/customed my N7..... guess I gotta wait till the chefs rebase or pull the pin, roll back to stock

Screw stock. Custom is so much better lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

G

GuestK00190

We need someone on XDA to get that OTA ASAP. We definitely need as many people as possible reporting about whether this fixes their N7 issues.

Here's hoping this'll all be good by tomorrow morning!

Last edited:
G

GuestK00190

I'm impatiently waiting to see the OTA notification on my fully stock N7... Here's hoping good things happen! :D

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Btw given how JSS15J was apparently pulled, I am guessing they will produce 2 ota updates

JWR66N -> JSS15Q

and

JSS15J -> JSS15Q

Given how the feedback from initial users was worded on google forums we probably only have confirmation of the JSS15J to JSS15Q ota update. The one from JWR66N might also be available, just haven't seen confirmation of someone downloading.

Normally they don't pull updates so your path would have been

JWR66N -> JSS15J -> JSS15Q

But in this case since they seem to have pulled JSS15J it may work a little differently

windmark

Mar 4, 2010
Uppsala
I'm also waiting on the OTA on my fully stock device, but I am one who have not been able to reproduce the touch issues on my n7. Will neither the less report back when I get it.

chiikko561

May 27, 2010
WEST PALM BEACH
I too am full stock jss15j and waiting hoping this solves my problems...

Sent 4rm my Nexus 7 FLO... Only thing missing is O.G. N7's development...

Also fully stock unrooted here, suffering from the mutitouch issues brought with JSS15J, no OTA here, I read in the other thread Google is phasing in the update by picking random device IDs to ease server load. Either way its good for the reputation of the N7 2013 that this update will ease customer (and my) tension about this being a hardware issue. It's not crippling my N7 like it seems to be doing for some other but it's definitely an issue. Will report back and possibly forage around my /cache partition when the OTA arrives to let you all know.

Markdek

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, after hundreds maybe thousands of returns.

Had Google just communicated, that would have prevented so much waste w/ hundreds, maybe thousands, of returns.

Reactions: smitty4_4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    JSS15Q factory images and OTAs available in Downloads section (below)

*WARNING* JSS15Q touchscreen firmware is a one-way street, no going back
    *UPDATE* there is now a solution for touchscreen issues below

• If you just want the GPS fix, see this post.
    • If you have touchscreen issues, see this post.

Separately there are reports of a JSS15Q update going out which appears to be alleviating the multi-touch and GPS issues.

You can see some comments from folks about JSS15Q alleviating Multi-touch and GPS issues at the bottom of these threads on google product forums:
    • Multi-touch - reports of improvement, no improvement, and some worse
    • GPS - reports of mostly completely fixed
    • Random reboots - no real success stories regarding JSS15Q

Initial impressions
    For Multi-touch, it appears there are hardware variances which the software needs to account for. Some folks are seeing everything fixed, some people are seeing no change, and some people are seeing new problems introduced. So if you didn't notice issues is JWR66N but started seeing issues in JSS15J, this update will be good for you. If you already saw issues in JWR66N, then this update probably won't do anything for you. More recently there have been some reports of JSS15Q making touchscreen issues worse.

Unscientifically, most people are reporting either multi-touch is fixed or no change and a few are reporting it is worse.

If you continue to have multi-touch/touchscreen issues, see this post for a solution.

The specific change for Multi-Touch was the firmware was updated to A042. See this post for the whole sordid history of our touchscreen firmware.

Our touchscreen is made by Elan Microelectronics. See their Youtube video demonstrating their capabilities using of all things, YAMTT!

For GPS, most people are reporting that their issues with GPS losing lock after a period of time are now resolved completely.

For random reboots, no definitive info on whether there is any improvement.

UserData eMMC corruption seems to have been addressed, see this post.

It appears the PRNG vulnerability is addressed. See this post for more info.

See list of patched areas for places to focus on looking for improvements.
    Facelock, GPS, NFC, Sensor, AAC encoding/decoding, and Camera seem to have the most changes.

Change summary:
    • JSS15J(4.3_r2.1)->JSS15Q(4.3_r2.2) AOSP Changelog.
    Mini guides:
    Downloads:
    JSS15Q
    • JSS15Q Factory Image (thanks roy827, poisike, Zylograth)
      Source: pure stock - Format: flash in fastboot/bootloader
      Guide: flashing factory images
      Caveats:
      • requires unlocked bootloader
      • options to wipe or preserve user data
    • JWR66N->JSS15Q OTA (thanks Zylograth, Aerys)
      Caveats:
      • MUST be running unmodified JWR66N
      • preserves user data
    • JSS15J->JSS15Q OTA (thanks roy827, poisike, Zylograth)
      Caveats:
      • MUST be running unmodified JSS15J
      • preserves user data
    • JSS15Q repackaged TWRP/CWM-flashable
      Source: slightly modified stock - Format: flash in TWRP/CWM
      Caveats:
      • this is not pure stock and will not work with future OTAs
      • this is rooted, with unsecured kernel, and init.d support
      • odexed and deodexed versions
      • preserves user data
    Factory images (direct download)
    Stock kernel/recovery
    Root/SuperSU
    ====

Update #1:

Hi everyone,

As a couple of you have mentioned, there's a new system update that's started rolling out for your Nexus 7s. This update does address the touchscreen issues discussed in this thread. If you're one of the people experiencing touchscreen issues, please let us know how it's going after you've received and installed the update.​

Update #1.1

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience while we've been working on this. As Justin mentioned, there is a new over-the-air update for Nexus 7 rolling out now that addresses the GPS issue discussed here. We look forward to hearing feedback about your GPS experience after you've received the update.

Update #1.2

Hi everyone,

We understand that several of your have received the recent Android 4.3 update but are still experiencing touchscreen issues -- we're looking into it.​

Update #3:

If you are rooted with SuperSU, OTA will fail near the end.

See this post for explanation and fix:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=44597339#post44597339

Update #4:

Watched pot never boils.

For those folks constantly clicking check for update hoping it will download, usually in the early days of a rollout there is a process that randomly chooses device id's that will receive the update. If your unit hasn't been chosen, no amount of pressing check for update will get you the update, until you are chosen.

After the initial rollout they turn it on for everyone.

Once the URL is available, you can manually download and install using stock recovery and adb sideload or, if you are more bold, using custom recovery, though IMO it is safest to use stock recovery for OTAs.

Update #7:

First XDA report of JSS15Q factory image resolving multi-touch issues

AnandTech says GPS issues resolved as well.

Some reports of update not helping with multi-touch [andrewNY / phazerorg]
    Simplified a little for nexus 7

This sideload guide is for stock recovery.
    If you are using TWRP, copy the update.zip to your virtual sdcard, then boot to recovery, choose Install, select the OTA-update.zip file, then swipe to install. Prior to reboot install SuperSU to preserve root and TWRP recovery.

Simple guide to adb sideload:
    • adb reboot recovery
      Alternatively, power down tablet and press/hold Power+VolUp until you see Google
      You'll see fallen down android, press/hold Power, then press/release VolUp, then release Power, you will then see Recovery menu
    • Select "Apply update from ADB" using VolDown
      Press Power to select
    • adb sideload update.zip
      Suggest renaming long OTA update filename to update.zip for convenience
    • update should begin loading

If you have trouble with an unknown device named Flo, see this post for adb drivers that will work in recovery:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2391236
    Alternate try the naked adb drivers:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1161769
    I added the JSS15J->JSS15Q AOSP changelog to the first post:

http://funkyandroid.com/aosp-JSS15J-JSS15Q.html

Of particular interest is this entry:

42adc5a : Remove noauto_da_alloc and add nomblk_io_submit for safer eMMC Add errors=panic for better recovery

So it appears they made this change for "safer eMMC" which is usually code word for we were seeing data corruption so we had to turn off these "advanced" options.

I went back and compared the mount options between JWR66N and JSS15Q

JWR66N

/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/cache /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0​

JSS15Q
    /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/cache /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nomblk_io_submit,errors=panic,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nomblk_io_submit,errors=panic,data=ordered 0 0​

and indeed they did change the ext4 mount options on /data and /cache

In case you are curious:

auto_da_alloc is a feature of the linux kernel ext4 support where it allocates files immediately rather than delayed allocation to avoid issues with data corruption when something unexpected happens like a crash

noauto_da_alloc (JWR66N mount option) then would be to disable the default auto_da_alloc behavior and allow delayed file allocation under all circumstances, presumably for a some performance gain

However with the random reboots that are happening with the Nexus 7 2013, this likely was leading to data corruption.

Those I'm stuck on X and UIDs are inconsistent, are you feeling lucky errors will probably be reduced or mitigated with this change.

mblk_io_submit (Multiple Page-IO Submissions) is a performance which allows larger chunks of data to be submitted. There are references to this causing some data corruption is certain cases. In JSS15J, they disabled this feature. It is possible they did this just to be safe, or they were really seeing data corruption.

In any event, these changes should reduce the cases of data corruption and possibly reduce some (but not necessarily all) of the reboots if they were caused by corrupted data.

So we should see less of
    • help, I'm stuck on X
    • UIDs inconsistent, are you feeling lucky

problems, but possibly we will see slightly less disk performance as a tradeoff.

On the other hand the errors=panic could lead to more reboot situations, but there will likely be log entries to detect these situations so Google can gauge where the issues are.

This could also possibly explain the data corruption in /system where some units can not apply the OTA update because their file didn't pass the SHA1 check. I recall some units were crashing even during that initial OTA install.

UPDATE:
    Of further interest is this entry:
    ed93853 : flo: update prebuilt kernel, DO NOT MERGE
    flo: update prebuilt kernel, DO NOT MERGE

8b7a6fb flo: mmc: disable pack feature for Hynix part

Bug: 9971949​

Pack feature is a performance enhancement where they group a bunch of reads or writes into one operation.

That they are disabling it for the Hynix (samsung) eMMC part could mean that it is not functioning correctly (ie corruption) for the Hynix part. If they source eMMC from multiple vendors, this could mean that just the ones with the Hynix part are not working correctly with pack and could explain why some people are seeing more corruption than others.

UPDATE2:
    Even more workarounds for Hynix eMMC part. Discard/trim brings back memories of eMMC corruption on Samsung GS2
    237604e flo: mmc workaround: add dummy read before discard/trim on some eMMC

flo: mmc workaround: add dummy read before discard/trim on some eMMC

BUG ID: 9583949
    Wondering, has any one else not received the update. Figured I would of by now as it seems people in the UK are now receiving it. I'm fully stock so there should be no reason I shouldn't get updates, or I wouldn't think at least.

I just got my flo yesterday and knew about 15Q update beforehand, so the first thing I did was check for updates, but of course, I was told no updates were available.

So I did a little trick I learned while waiting for my turn to get the 4.3 update on my Nexus 4: went to Settings>Apps>All, selected Google Services Framework and cleared its Data, then back to About tablet>System updates and tapped to Check for update. It took 2 tries of the whole process, but I got my update.

After getting the update installed you will just want to remove your Google account and add it again, just to get all the permissions Google wants right again.

Hope this works for you. I have sucessfully done this twice on the Mako, and now once on Flo, so it seems to work consistently, if not always on the first try. Good luck.
    Mini guide for flashing stock factory image:

You must have your bootloader unlocked to flash the factory images released so far.

You have the OPTION to wipe your data but it is best to back up anything important AND copy off the phone

1. Download the factory image from here:
      https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/razor-jss15q-factory-4f77b811.tgz
    2. Unpack using 7-zip or winrar.
      You may need to unpack twice
      • once to get the .tar file from .tgz
      • another to get the actual razor-jss15q directory from the .tar
    3. unzip razor-jss15q-addon.zip into the razor-jss15q directory (from previous step)
    4. boot your tablet to the bootloader using Power+VolDown
    5. connect via usb cable to pc
      If you have problems with drivers, use the adb_driver.zip from this post
    6. in command prompt in the razor-jss15q directory type EITHER
      • flash-all
        (this WILL perform factory reset and wipe your data, including virtual sdcard, starting completely fresh)
        OR
      • flash-all-nowipe
        (this WILL NOT wipe your data, nor your virtual sdcard, allowing you to preserve your setup)
      You can ignore the warning about the 3 missing .sig files in the status.
      Google didn't sign these factory restore images, which is incidentally why you need to be unlocked to flash.

If you have issues after upgrading, the first thing you should try is factory reset (backup your apps and sdcard if needed)
    Whenever you preserve your data whether it be factory image or natural OTA, there will always be a small percentage of users who will encounter instability, depending on what apps they are using