[ICS][Deodex] stock system apps and framework [2.007.04_COM_GEN1]

Search This thread

eww245

Aug 19, 2008
Throop
This will have to be "flashed" through adb and your a100 needs to be on the newest update.
[STOCK ROM] Official Packages It's the first link on that post. We can thank vache for that.
All bloatware is still included, also acer's MusicA.odex did not deodex and is included.

Code:
$ adb shell
$ su
# stop
# mount -wo remount /system
# rm /system/app/*
# rm /system/framework/*
# cd /mnt/external_sd/path_to_tar
# busybox tar xvf A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1_deodex.tar -C /

Permissions should be fine as it is in tar format otherwise:
Code:
# chmod 644 /system/app/*
# chmod 644 /system/framework/*

dalvik cache will be about 20MB larger and it should be wiped
Code:
# busybox rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
# exit
$ exit
$ adb reboot

It will take a bit longer on the first boot while the cache rebuilds
For anyone that doesn't know deodexing is only useful for creating a ROM/theme.

After any theming of the apps permissions will have to be set and keep the official stock ROM in hand in case of a bootloop.
Code:
# chmod 644 /system/app/apk_package
or
# chmod 644 /system/framework/jar_package

I've been running this for a few days and have had no issues at all.
Using this method we can start building some ROMS. I would suggest using tar and maybe include a small script to flash it.
Let me know if anyone wants a full ROM package as this is only the apps and framework.

A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1_deodex.tar - 191.05 MB

[edit] As it turns out MusicA does not work at all, it doesn't even show up in the app drawer. Some guy named Jeff Lee compiled some of the framework wrong. com.acer.android.clearfilib_tablet.jar/C:/Users/Jeff_lee/Desktop/_acer/Jeff/clearfilib_tablet.java will not work. It should be a classes.dex file in the jar archive. Oh well it looks like its fixed in ICS.

02/22/12
Here's Deodex ICS, everything deodexed without issues. But without root this will be useless. [edit] We now have root so this will be very useful

A100_0.002.00_WW_GEN1_deodex.tar - 206.06 MB

Last edited:

Icewyng

Dec 10, 2010
Québec
I was meaning to do this for a few days now and I am glad to see it works.

Did you do some more testing to see how it is, performance-wise?

eww245

Aug 19, 2008
Throop
I was meaning to do this for a few days now and I am glad to see it works.

Did you do some more testing to see how it is, performance-wise?

Nothing more than opening the stock apps and using it as I normally do. Just ran linpack, it got the same result as before deodexing. It really shouldn't run any better or worse. Though odex is supposed to be faster than using the dex format. It's also zipaligned so that can also speed things up a bit to compensate.

oneovakindoldys2

Nov 27, 2011
This will have to be "flashed" through adb and your a100 needs to be on the newest update.
[STOCK ROM] Official Packages It's the first link on that post. We can thank vache for that.
All bloatware is still included, also acer's MusicA.odex did not deodex and is included.

Code:
$ adb shell
$ su
# stop
# rm /system/app/*
# rm /system/framework/*

Code:

Code:
# exit
$ exit
$ adb reboot

After any theming of the apps permissions will have to be set and keep the official stock ROM in hand in case of a bootloop.
Code:
or

Using this method we can start building some ROMS. I would suggest using tar and maybe include a small script to flash it.
Let me know if anyone wants a full ROM package as this is only the apps and framework.

Great work eww245! I am definately interested.....just noticed your thread today.

eww245

Aug 19, 2008
Throop
Is there a way to do this on the tablet itself?? Thanks for the work....

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

Probably but be prepared for a lot of force closings. I suggest you immediately end it with reboot ex: # busybox tar x.... ; reboot
and don't use stop, the screen will go black. Good Luck

oneovakindoldys2

Nov 27, 2011

hello eww245, i am not familiar with this and at the risk of sounding like a total newb, how would one go about this....what i mean is could you just give the basics to get me started....how would we get past the acer signature and checksums? thanks so much for your hard work

eww245

Aug 19, 2008
Throop

hello eww245, i am not familiar with this and at the risk of sounding like a total newb, how would one go about this....what i mean is could you just give the basics to get me started....how would we get past the acer signature and checksums? thanks so much for your hard work

As far as signatures, all the apks and jars are signed but unless you sign them with all the same keys, files will have to be added / replaced in the archive. They are just zip files.
One tool baksmalli code.google.com/p/smali/ allows the code to be extracted into smalli code, which is quite difficult to read. That's what I used to deodex the files, but something like adding a reboot menu to the long press power button is possible.
Another, ApkTool code.google.com/p/android-apktool/ Will decode all the xml files and extract the images. With that it's possible to change or add string values. Like new translation values or changing text that's already there.
The eaisest edit would be just replacing images. So using 7zip or if you use linux xarchiver works good. As I mentioned above if the apks/jars are unzipped and rezipped the signature changes. So the images will have to be replaced in the archive.
I haven't experiment much yet my self, I tried to change the autobacklight values without any effect, but I did manage to add a CRT power off effect to the framework-res.apk.
Good luck hopefully this helps.

oneovakindoldys2

Nov 27, 2011
As far as signatures, all the apks and jars are signed but unless you sign them with all the same keys, files will have to be added / replaced in the archive. They are just zip files.
One tool baksmalli code.google.com/p/smali/ allows the code to be extracted into smalli code, which is quite difficult to read. That's what I used to deodex the files, but something like adding a reboot menu to the long press power button is possible.
Another, ApkTool code.google.com/p/android-apktool/ Will decode all the xml files and extract the images. With that it's possible to change or add string values. Like new translation values or changing text that's already there.
The eaisest edit would be just replacing images. So using 7zip or if you use linux xarchiver works good. As I mentioned above if the apks/jars are unzipped and rezipped the signature changes. So the images will have to be replaced in the archive.
I haven't experiment much yet my self, I tried to change the autobacklight values without any effect, but I did manage to add a CRT power off effect to the framework-res.apk.
Good luck hopefully this helps.
Thanks alot Eww, I will do some research on this and see what I can come up with. In the meantime, I have a question [mission actually...lol] for anyone that might have some knowledge. I have been working on cracking fastboot and nvflash on our a100 so we can flash custom roms. I have come to the conclusion that our fastboot/nvflash is locked/disabled in the default prop and init. I have been working on this in my spare time....anyway, this is the progress i have made so far ....i have extracted the leaked ics release, decompressed it, extracted the boot image, unpacked it and used split_boot to seperate the ramdisk from the kernel and made the changes that I thought were necessary. I then used mkboot and finally got it gzipped up without any errors. I now have an edited boot.img for the a100 that should enable fastboot operation, however I have no way to get it back on to the tablet.....tis is the dilemma! Any suggestions with merit will certainly be appreciated. thanks again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    $ adb shell
    $ su
    # stop
    # rm /system/app/*
    # rm /system/framework/*

Code:

Code:
    # exit
    $ exit
    $ adb reboot

Code:
    or

[edit] As it turns out MusicA does not work at all, it doesn't even show up in the app drawer. Some guy named Jeff Lee compiled some of the framework wrong. com.acer.android.clearfilib_tablet.jar/C:/Users/Jeff_lee/Desktop/_acer/Jeff/clearfilib_tablet.java will not work. It should be a classes.dex file in the jar archive. Oh well it looks like its fixed in ICS.

02/22/12
    Here's Deodex ICS, everything deodexed without issues. But without root this will be useless. [edit] We now have root so this will be very useful

A100_0.002.00_WW_GEN1_deodex.tar - 206.06 MB