Will current Verizon galaxy nexus ROMS work on Sprint galaxy nexus?

Search This thread

nikiya

Jun 6, 2010
I just ordered my sprint galaxy nexus and I'm curious as to whether current cdma ROMS (cooked for the Verizon galaxy nexus) will work as is our will need to be ported?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Reactions: Neo3D

T4rd

Jun 15, 2010
I would think so, because most ROMs/kernels (that I've seen) are compatible between the GSM and CDMA Nexus phones, so I would think it would be the same for the Sprint version. But I'm not a dev, so I'm not 100% on that.

Jubakuba

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 22, 2010
Pueblo, Colorado
I would think so, because most ROMs/kernels (that I've seen) are compatible between the GSM and CDMA Nexus phones, so I would think it would be the same for the Sprint version. But I'm not a dev, so I'm not 100% on that.

The rom's are different versions...not the same that can be flashed for either.

And no, they won't be compatible from what I've heard.

Okaay

Mar 18, 2012
No the Verizon galaxy nexus usually needs a different from than the GSM version

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

farmer312

Dec 31, 2010
If the device repo on AOSP is correct and complete, they will indeed be compatible.

Without going into too much detail, how would they be compatible when they use different radios and towers and such? Especially when sprint launches their LTE in like 2020 or so. I would also assume that we would be able to use the same hotspot hack as well? I don't know how roms work, I just know I like them :)

K.AuthoR

Nov 30, 2008
Without going into too much detail, how would they be compatible when they use different radios and towers and such? Especially when sprint launches their LTE in like 2020 or so. I would also assume that we would be able to use the same hotspot hack as well? I don't know how roms work, I just know I like them :)

Because when you flash a ROM, you aren't flashing the radio/baseband.

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010

I won't go into much detail. When your Sprint phone roams you're using Verizon's network.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

farmer312

Dec 31, 2010
Because when you flash a ROM, you aren't flashing the radio/baseband.

Thats cool. I figured it would be like say a computer and a usb modem. You can have them both but if the computer doesn't have the drivers for the modem it will not recognize the modem.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

I won't go into much detail. When your Sprint phone roams you're using Verizon's network.

Yes but LTE doesn't roam.

Last edited:

nullbesign

Apr 12, 2012
I thought that also, since these are two different phone (GSM /cmda) it might have different radio frequency?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL

The difference between the two will be the hardware lte modem and the baseband software. These are independent of the rom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
The difference between the two will be the hardware lte modem and the baseband software. These are independent of the rom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'd imagine there would be a slight amount of tweaking involved still. For example, the ROM includes the build.prop which makes reference to the specific carrier. But whatever the differences are maybe a flashable zip could be easily created to convert ROMs made for the VZW Gnex to the S'G'Nex.

theherodrownd

Aug 31, 2007
I'd imagine there would be a slight amount of tweaking involved still. For example, the ROM includes the build.prop which makes reference to the specific carrier. But whatever the differences are maybe a flashable zip could be easily created to convert ROMs made for the VZW Gnex to the S'G'Nex.

As long as you flash a 4.0.4 rom it'll be fine the AOSP code already has sprint nexus references so it'll run fine. The CDMA development section will encompass Verizon and Sprint nexus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just ordered my sprint galaxy nexus and I'm curious as to whether current cdma ROMS (cooked for the Verizon galaxy nexus) will work as is our will need to be ported?

Most things will work. Texting wont work. You'd have to fix the coding in an xml file and maybe also the build.prop file.
    LTE will not work. Presently, while both chips are LTE, they do not support all the bands. So, Sprint's LTE chip doesn't support Verizon's LTE band and vice versa. It's a technology hardware limitation that should be fixed in future chip revisions. Sprint apps like Sprint TV also wont work. This can be resolved by updating some simple files.

What I would say to you, if you don't use Sprint apps, like Sprint TV, use google voice for texting/voicemail, don't need google wallet, or LTE, then you're more than fine to try Verizon ROMs.