Search This thread

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Galaxy Tab GT-P1010 NooB Guide - Last Revised 2012-02-29

2013-03-09 - SEE POST 9 FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Revisions

2012-02-27 - Initial Publication
2012-02-29 - Added Firmware Download, Thread Consolidation, Custom ROM's, Flashing Stock Firmware and Q&A Section(s)

Post Summary

In this thread I will attempt to outline the details I know of regarding the Galaxy Tab GT-P1010. I feel this is a necessary thread because this device is NOT the same as the various other devices that garner so much attention within this forum and I personally experianced quite a difficult time searching to find the questions to my answers as they releated to this device in particular. While it is my opinion that this device should have it's own sub-forum, I do not believe it is popular enough. This said I feel that it is a fairly solid device and if you are like me, you are somewhat lost in in finding the approriate information. Hopefully this thread will be informative and popular enough that it may get stickied so us lowly 1010 users can find the information they are looking for. I am an active XDA member and will do my best to keep this thread updated as new information & techniques become available. If you see some information that you feel should be included do not hesitate to bring same to my attention and I will update the OP's accordinglly. These Instructions are for use on Windows machines even though I personally use a Mac. If you are in the same boat, I recomend running windows within a Virtual Machine (VM). I use Parallels but VirtualBox is a free alternative. Mac and or Linux only instructions may follow at a later date, but honestly a majority of users use Windows so I'm starting there. Without further a do, let's get started.

GT-P1010 Device Specifications

The GT-P1010 is also know as the "Wi-Fi Only" 7" Galaxy Tab. It differs from a majority of the devices in this forum because it has NO 3G or cellular capabilities. The hardware of the device is also different enough from the 3G/Cellular versions, that the Development going on for these other devices will NOT work for it. The GT-P1010 is unfortunately considered a "forgotten" device and even Samsung has seemingly abandoned providing updates for it. This is particularlly evident within the United States (US), however other Countries, speciffically the United Kingdom (UK) have been seeing updates. For the record I am the owner of a US version and this guide was written using my experiance on that device.

A complete list of specifications can be viewed from Samsung's US Website HERE

MD5 Sums

When downloading files from the internet is extremly important that you verify the download was complete and not corrupted. Insuring this can avoid troubleshooting issues that may simply be because of a bad file. All files available from this post will have an MD5 sum next to them. To verify that your file is EXACTLY the same as the file on the server you will need to run it through an MD5 checker. These checkers are available freely over the internet and Mac OS X even has one built in. I'm not going to make this post about how to run these programs but have included a few links below to get you started. A complete explanation of MD5 Sums can be found at Wikipedia.

WinMD5Free

Drivers - Samsung KIES

In order to perform updates to your P-1010 you need to be able to communicate with the device via a USB cable. While there are stand-alone USB drivers available, I chose to install Samsung's "KIES" application so that I could see if any updates were being pushed directly from Samsung. The KIES program also offers additional functionality to allow you to sync various media on your device. This functionality may or may not be needed for all users but by installing the software you are also guaranteed that the drivers needed to communicate with the device are installed on your machine. The US Samsung KIES site can be accessed HERE but I have included a direct link to the latest Windows Version below.

Kies_2.2.0.12014_18_7 ---- MD5 Sum: 7116aa29ce9df3dc2e916128c9c0aa4c

Download the file and double click it to install KIES and the drivers to you system. Once this is acomplished running the program will present you with a screen similar to the one below:

download.php

ODIN

ODIN is a utility that communicates with your device when it is in Download Mode (see below). This utility allows you to flash different firmware and other files to your Galaxy Tab. A screenshot of ODIN running is posted below.

download.php

To Run ODIN you will need to download and Un-zip the following file. Once this is acomplished you can run the program by simply double clicking the .EXE file "Odin3 v1.85.exe" which will be inside the un-zipped (extracted) folder. The program does NOT get "installed" and this section is just an overview of the tool. Additional steps on when to use it, and how, will be included in the appropriate sections below.

Odin3-v1.85.zip. ---- MD5 Sum: 414e3af7c4c01e21527aeaab65e68a75

Download Mode

Initiating Download Mode

To communicate with ODIN the device needs to be placed into Download Mode. This is accomplished (from an OFF condition) by holding the Volume Down button + the Power Button at the same time until Download Mode is activated. I have found that the easiest way to do this is to press and hold the Volume Down button and then press and hold the Power Button. Download mode will activate within a couple of seconds and your device will indicate such by presenting you with the following screen. As soon as that happens you can release both buttons.

Exiting Download Mode

If you flash any updated files to your Tab using the procedures outlined below, the device will accept the files and reboot on it's own thereby exiting download mode. If you find that you have entered download mode when you did not intend to use ODIN to flash files, you can EXIT download mode by Holding the Power Button for about 10 seconds. The device will then turn off and when you turn it back on it will boot normally. This can be a little scary considering the warning stating "Do Not Turn of the Target". This warning can be ignored and it is actually telling you not to turn it off while files are being written to it.

download.php

Connecting Device to ODIN

To play it safe, I recomend that you try connecting your device to KIES FIRST just to insure that the drivers have been installed properly. If KIES can recognize the device then so can ODIN. Simply open KIES and connect the device to your computer via the USB cable. Once you see that KIES is communicating with the Tab you can close KIES and disconnect the Device from the USB. This will only need to be done once, again, just to make sure the communication is working. Once you are satisfied that it is ....

Run ODIN by double clicking the executable file as outlined above. Place the device in download mode as outlined above. Connect the device to the computer using the USB cable. You will then notice that ODIN has found and is communicating with your device because the ID:COM field will turn yellow and assign a COM port to your device. This COM port will vary by user so don't be alarmed if you personally don't see "COM5" as shown in the screenshot below. As long as this field turns yellow you are good to go.

download.php

Recovery Mode - Stock

A stock Tab has a built in recovery mode that will allow you to perform a factor reset on the device and other "maintenance". This mode is entered (from an OFF condition) by holding the Volume Up button + the Power Button at the same time until you see the Samsung Logo, then Release the Power button but continue to hold the Volume up button until Recovery Mode is activated and your device presents you with the following screen. As soon as that happens you can release the Volume Up button. Once Recovery is activated you can toggle through the menu items by using the Volume up & Volume down buttons. To execute a selection use either the Power OR Home Button. It is the Power button on my device but this apparently varies on some models.

download.php

Rooting

If you are here on XDA then you are probably interested in "Rooting" your device. Rooting has many advantages and certain Market Applications will only work if you have these Root Powers. The US version of the Stock GT-P1010 is currently running the Froyo version of the Android Operating System. A Gingerbread version has not been officially released and may never be. We will deal with upgrading to Gingerbread later in the Tutorial. For now, if you want to Root your device running Froyo (My device had Build: Froyo.UEKC6), you can follow these steps:

1. Download the application Z4Root from the following link:

Z4Root.1.3.0.zip ---- MD5 Sum: 077974421412b25089289acdc763b1c1

2. Unzip the archive to Extract the file : "z4root.1.3.0.apk"

3. Connect your Tab to the PC and initiate "Mass Storage Mode"
  • Connect USB Cable
  • Drag down Status Bar and Click "USB Connected" under the ongoing tasks
  • Click "Turn on USB Storage"
  • Your device should mount and be available as a Removable Drive in Windows
4. Copy the .apk file from step 2 to your device
  • It doesn't matter where you put this file. Just remember where so you can find it in the next step(s)
  • The easiest place would be the "root" of the Removable Disk
5. Enable "Unknown Sources" on your Tab
  • Settings >> Applications >> Check Unknown Sources Box
6. Enable "USB Debugging" on your Tab
  • Settings >> Applications >> Development >> Check USB Debugging Box
7. Install Z4Root
  • Use any "file explorer" program on the Tab. You should have an application called "My Files". It will work fine
  • Navigate to the .apk file you put on the device in Step 4
  • Click the .apk file
  • Click Install
  • Application will install and you will have a Z4Root Icon in your app drawer
download.php

8. Setup Z4Root
  • Click the Z4Root Icon
  • You will be presented with two (2) Options. Temporary Root & Permanent Root
  • I chose Permanent Root but you could "try" it first if you like
  • In my case the device re-booted and I was rooted.
  • To test this I installed an application called Titanium Backup (see next Section).
  • Note: The Z4Root Icon will remain and if you open it again you will be given the option to"Un-Root".
Titanium Backup

Titanium Backup is a GREAT program that lets you backup all your applications as well as the user data that is used by them. For example your game progress, high scores, ETC. Titanium Backup REQUIRES Root access and in my opinion is reason enough to Root your device. There is a Free as well as a Paid version of this application. Let's install this program to verify that we have in fact "rooted" our device.

Installing and Checking for Root
  • Go to the market and search for Titanium Backup
  • Give the free version a try just to confrm Root. Simply install it from the market.
  • Once installed open the application and you should be presented with a dialog box stating that "Titanium Backup is requesting Super User Permissions".
  • Click allow and follow any on-screen instructions
  • You will eventually get to an "Overview" screen and should see that Root Access has a Green Checkmark next to it and that BusyBox was installed from the app.
  • Congratulations you are now rooted
Backing up Files

To backup your applications and user data using Titanium Backup follow the steps below:
  • Open Titanium Backup and click the Backup/Restore Tab near the top of the screen
  • A list of the applications installed on your device will appear
  • Click the Settings Drawer Hardware Key
  • Click Batch
  • Under the Backup section on the next screen click Run next to "Backup all User App + System Data"
  • On the next screen Select the applications you want to backup, They are ALL selected by default.
  • Make sure the "Pause Active App's" radio button is selected
  • Click "Run the batch operation" button
  • Congratulations. You have just performed an application Backup!

Saving your backup to your computer

There is no reason performing a backup if you are just going to leave it on your device. Obviously if something catastrophic were to happen, you would lose the backup as well. The backup files are located in the /sdcard/TitaniumBackup directory.
  • Initiate "Mass Storage" as outlined in the Rooting Section above.
  • Once the device is mounted navigate to the TitaniumBackup directory. Note: When mounted to the PC, the /sdcard directoy is the one mounted so TitaniumBackup should appear in the root of the Removable Disk.
  • Copy the entire TitaniumBackup Directory to your PC
  • You now have a folder that can be restored to your device allowing you to restore your applications without re-downloading them from the Market.
  • Remember to copy this folder to your computer after perfoming any future backups.
Restoring your applications

To restore your applications and user data using Titanium Backup make sure that the backup containing the files you wish to restore is located at /sdcard/TitaniumBackup and follow the steps below:
  • Open Titanium Backup and click the Backup/Restore Tab near the top of the screen
  • Click Batch
  • Under the Restore section on the next screen click Run next to "Restore missing apps with data"
  • On the next screen Select the applications you want to Restore, They are ALL selected by default.
  • Decide if you want to restore just the app, the app and it's data or just the data by clicking the appropriate radio button
  • Follow the prompts to install each application
  • Congratulations. You have just perfored a restore
Note: Once we get into flashing custom Rom's in the sections that follow, sometimes restoring application "data" can be problematic. If you flash a new firmware or Rom and are experiancing issues with an application after restoring it's data, this may be the reason.

Custom Recovery - ClockWorkMod

In the section above we explained about the System Reovery that was built and installed by Samsung. This is great for restoring your system to an out of the box (OOB) condition but not for much else. In order to flash custom Rom's and perform Nandroid Backups we will need to replace the "stock" recovery with a Custom version. ClockWorkMod (CWM) is the recovery of choice for a majority of users and while there are "others" out there, only CWM has been made available for our devices. A Nandroid backup is an exact copy or "image" of your system and can be used to restore your system to the exact state it was in at the time you made the backup. So, lets get to installing CWM.

You will need to download the following file:

Skin1980_P1010_CWM-RECOVERY-BETA-1 ---- MD5 Sum: ca14360ee5f1eebd0efaec5adc77940e

Note: This file is only to be used if you are running the Froyo Version of Android
  • Using the information above put your device in Download Mode and connect it to ODIN
  • click the PDA button in ODIN and navigate to the file you just downloaded
  • Make sure your ODIN screen is setup and matched the screenshot below:
download.php

• Click the "Start" button and watch your device and the "Message" section of ODIN. You will see some some text in the message center and your screen will show a progress indicator.
  • Once this completes your device will re-boot. It may boot directly to your new ClockWorkMod OR it might boot back into your operating system.
  • If it boots to the operating system you can get to CWM using the same procedure outlined in the "Stock" recovery section above. Volume up + Power.
  • Make sure you are booted into CWM and see the screen shown below:
download.php

Once you are in CWM the Volume Up / Down buttonas re used to navigate through the menu choices and the Settings Drawer Hardware ley is used to select an option. The Back hardware key also functions to go back to the previous menu but all screens also offer a "Go Back" choice. If you click the Power Button and are presented with a blank screen simply click it again and CWM will come back up. Now, lets make out first Nandroid Backup!

Making a Nandroid Backup
  • Navigate and Execute the "Backup and Restore" menu item
  • Navigate and Execute the "Backup" menu item
  • Sit back and wait for your backup to complete.
  • A progress indicator as well as some text will be flashing across the screen
  • When it completes you will see .. "Backup Complete"
  • That's it! Congratulations!

Again, as with Titanium there is no reason performing a backup if you are just going to leave it on your device. The CWM backup files are located in the /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup directory. Inside this directory you will see a folder that is named based upon the date and time you performed the backup. For Example 2012-02-27.21.57.14 means that the backup was created on February 27, 2012 at 21:57:14. This is UTC time so make sure you add or subtract your UTC offset to get to "local" time.
  • Once the device is mounted navigate to the clockworkmod/backup directory. Note: When mounted to the PC, the /sdcard directoy is the one mounted so clockworkmod directory should appear in the root of the Removable Disk.
  • Copy the folder containing your backup to your PC
  • You now have a folder that can be restored to your device allowing you to restore your system to the exact sate it was in at the time of the backup..
  • Remember to copy any future backups to your PC as Well.
Restoring a Nandroid Backup

To restore your system to it's nacked up state make sure that the backup containing the Nandroid you wish to restore is located at /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup and follow the steps below:
  • Boot into CWM
  • Navigate and Execute the "Restore" menu item
  • Sit back and wait for your restore to complete.
  • When it completes you will see .. "Restore Complete"
  • Navigate to and execute the "Reboot System Now" menu item
  • Your device will reboot and you will be restored to the exact state your system was in when you made the backup
Mounting Mass Storage in CWM

In some instances you may be faced with a system that won't boot which makes getting your Nandroid Backup put back on your device problematic. Don't fear. Using CWM you can mount the USB Mass Storage without the need to be running the operating system. Here's how:
  • Boot into CWM
  • Plug your USB Cable into your PC
  • Navigate to and Execute the "Mounts and storage" menu item
  • Navigate to and Execute the "mount USB storage" menu item
  • The Device will mount and you will have access to it from your PC
  • Copy your Nandroid Backup to the clockworkmod/backup folder
  • Go "back"
  • Go "Back"
  • Go to "backup and restore"
  • Restore your Nandroid
  • Reboot
  • Welcome back to a running machine!!
Credit and Thanks

While I have compiled all the files, tested them, generated MD5 Sums and written this tutorial based upon my experiance, it should be noted that other users are responsible for the actual Development. If you think I have done a good job and find this information usefull Please click my "THANKS" button. It is not necessary to thank me by witing a seperate post and by not doing so you keep this thread clean and easy to find the information that others may be looking for You should also visit the following users, find a post or two from them and THANK them as well. Without them none of this would be possible.

Skin1980 for his Development of ClockWorkMod for the GT-P1010

RyanZA for his Development of Z4Root

motafoca for his Development of ClockWorkMod for the KPI Firmware

Donations

While I enjoy tinkering with devices and trying new methods, doing so can be time consuming. Compiling and witing this tutorial took me a considerable amount of time. I have also convieniently placed all the required files on an Ad-Free, Fast Download server so you can get them quick and don't need to hunt around. Mediafire was my server of choice but it is NOT free. I pay a monthly service charge to host on the server and this will also insure that the files are available now AND in the future. If you like my work and feel that it has helped you, I would appreciate a donation as a token of your appreciation. Simply click the button below or the "Donate to Me" button under my Username. Anything you can spare will be appreciated and go toward keeping the file sharing up and running as well as keep me interested in generating more tutorials. Thanks in advance!

Questions or Comments

If you have any questons or feel that certain information could be added or clarified, feel free to post them. I will do my best to check this thread often and assist you as best I can. Valid questions will be answered and added to the Q&A post below.

Last edited:

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Firmware and Kernel's for P1010

This section will contain a list and download links for the various Firmware's available for the GT-P1010. As noted above the US version has been getting no love from Samsung with regard to updates. This is a shame and makes no sense to me considering the UK version HAS been actively updated. With this said however many users have been "flashing" the UK versions to their US Tab's with success.

SamMobile Firmware Page

Latest Firmware
Europe Firmware
Middle East Firmware

Compliments of Mod2Xtreme.com

Forum Post Link

Firmware Direct Links

P1010XWKC1_OXX.rar ..... MD5 Sum: 95bd7437271f3bee6eacb017d0ef45a1

P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_XEU.zip .... MD5 Sum: 3b0f63ccb0b42643d953fcba472eb5f2

P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6.zip .... MD5 Sum: 4d33426db6cecdb48568adecf10bc8fd

Kernel's

P1010ZHKF1-kernel.ZIP .... MD5 Sum: 6dc467ff92fc676c1f61e59e893493eb

Last edited:

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Custom Rom's

2/29/2012

Currently there are no Custom Rom's available for the GT-P1010. A Developer named Motafoca is working on a port of Cyanogenmod and information regarding progress can be viewed in the following thread.

Motofoca's Cyanogen Port

Motofoca is a member of the MadTeam and they have their own forum which can be viewed HERE.

The only other "Non-Stock" alternative at this time is CleanRom developed by scrosler There is also a website dedicated to this ROM viewable HERE.

I used the term "Non-Custom" because the CleanRom is based upon a Stock Gingerbread European firmware. From the Website they did the following:

Removed Samsung Bloat!
ADW Launcher or TouchWiz Launcher!
95% AOSP Gingerbread themed
All Apps up to date!
De-Odexed
Zip Aligned

Last edited:

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Flashing Stock Firmware(s)

We have said that updated firmware for the US version of the GT-P1010 has NOT been actively provided by Samsung however if you look in Post 2 above you will see that all is not lost. The Europe version of this device has been provided with an update as late as January 2012. I would recommend (and really it was the reason I wrote this tutorial) that you perform ALL the steps above BEFORE flashing any type of Firmawre update/upgrade. This will not only give you experiance running the "tools" but it will allow you to perform the various back-ups in case anything goes "wrong".

Quite simply, Firmware is "flashed" to your device using ODIN. I have searched for a complete guide explaining the vaious sections of ODIN to no avail. Honestly I don't know when certain fields (PIT, CSC), ETC need to be populated and when they don't. I believe, but am not 100% sure that when flashing a brand new Firmware (for example from a US to European version) that the PIT, PDA and CSC fields need to be filled in and the Re-Partition radio button needs to be Checked. I have ALWAYS had the Auto-Reboot & F. Rest Time boxes checked, but again, I can't say why. It is my belief that if the Re-Partition button is checked, that it has the effect of "wiping" all partitions on the device.The only guide I have found is the following:

P1010-Flashingguide.pdf

It is probably a fair statement to make that if a Zip or RAR file you download contains a PIT or CSC file, then you probably need to included them in your flash. Keep in mind that I have experianced an issue where a seperate ZIP file was compressed inside an overall ZIP container. Always make sure that you not only extract the main downloaded file but that you also look inside the extracted folder for another ZIP file that may need to also be extracted.

I will provide an example of my experiance upgrading my US version to the latest UK version below.

Upgrading US Version to Latest Rooted UK Version

First, I must give full Credit to Taney for developing the instructions from This Thread. I followed them and experianced no significant issues. I will be re-creating a portion of them, expanding (clarifying) on some areas that I felt would give NooB's difficulity and then taking the instructions a step farther to upgrade to what is known as the "KPI" version of the Firmware which is the latest one Available. PLEASE make sure that you "Thank" Taney because without the instructions that he provided none of this would be possible.

A. Upgrade / Downgrade to the Latest Froyo Firmware
  • Place your Device in Download Mode and connect it to ODIN as outlined in the tutorial above.
  • Download the P1010XWKC1_OXX.rar file from the link in Post 2 of this thread and check the MD5 Sum
  • Extract this rar file to create a folder called "P1010XWKC1_OXXKC1"
  • Within ODIN Click the PIT button and navigate to the file "p1wifi_20110128_r10_00.pit" within the folder you extracted.
  • Click the PDA Button and navigate to the file "P1010XWKC1-REV03-ALL-low-CL946441.tar.md5"
  • Click the CSC Button and navigate to the file "GT-P1010-MULTI-CSC-OXXKC1.tar.md5"
  • Make sure the Re-Partition, Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time buttons are CHECKED
  • Click "Start". ****** NOTICE THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA ON YOUR DEVICE*****
  • When these steps are completed and the process running your ODIN screen should look like this:
download.php

When the process Completes your Device will Re-boot. The first Boot could take significantly longer than normal. Just wait and when you see the lock screen open it and enter the OS. At this point you may be experiancing what is known as a "boot-loop". Simply stated the device will keep re-booting and not allow you to do anything without throwing "force close" errors, In his tutorial Taney says that this may or may not happen. It did for me and the fix is in the next section.

B. Flash updated Kernel

To fix the effects of the boot loop you need to flash another file known as a kernel. Like I said I personally DID experiance the boot-loops and had to perform these steps. Since my overall procedure was successful, it is my recomendation that you do it whether you experiance the boot-loop or not. This decision is entirely up to you but you have my suggestion. To flash the Kernel perform the following:
  • Download the file file "P1010ZHKF1-kernel.ZIP" from the Kernel's section in Post 2 of this thread and check the MD5 Sum
  • Extract the ZIP file to create the folder "P1010ZHKF1-kernel"
  • If ODIN is still open replace the file in the PDA field with the file "P1010ZHKF1-KERNEL-eng.tar" from the extracted folder OR
  • If ODIN was closed open it, repopulate the PIT and CSC fields as outlined in Section A above and select the new file for the PDA field.
  • UN-CHECK the Re-partition check box
  • Power off your Tab. NOTE: If it is stuck in a bootloop I found that holding the power button down finally was able to shut off the device.
  • Start the device in Download mode and connect it to ODIN
  • If everything is set-up as outlined and ODIN has found your Device.. Press Start
  • When the process completes your device will re-boot and the ODIN screen will look like this:
download.php

At this point you should have a bootable Device and not experiance any further boot-loops. Your About Device Information should read as follows:

Firmware: 2.2.1

Kernel: 2.6.32.9 (se.infra@sep_24 #1)

Build: Froyo.XXKC1

C. Flash KPG Gingerbread update

In this step we will flash our first Gingerbread update known as the "KPG Version". Follow these steps:
  • Download the file "P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_XEU.zip" from the Firmware section in Post 2 and Check the MD5 Sum.
  • Extract the ZIP file to create the folder "P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_XEU"
  • If ODIN is still open replace the file in the PDA field with the file "P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_HOME.tar.md5" from the extracted folder OR
  • If ODIN was closed open it, repopulate the PIT and CSC fields as outlined in Section A above and select the new file for the PDA field.
  • Power OFF your Tab
  • If everything is set-up as outlined and ODIN has found your Device.. Press Start
  • When the process completes your device will re-boot.
At this point you should have a bootable Device running Gingerbread. Your About Device Information should read as follows:

Firmware: 2.3.6

Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - CL749223 (se.infra@SEI-15 #1)

Build:GINGERBREAD.XXKPG

D. Reinstall ClockWorkMod

The steps above have had the effect of returning your device to stock and therefore the Recovery Partition was overwritten with the "stock" recovery. We need to re-install ClockWorkMod at this point.
  • Download the following file and check the MD5 Sum
Skin1980-P1010-NEW-CF-ROOT-GB.tar .......MD5 Sum: 1cab6775d572c416371c09f9c3654823
  • Put your device in Download Mode and Connect it to ODIN
  • Navigate to the File you downloaded using the PDA field
  • Leave the PIT and CSC fields BLANK and Un-Checked
  • Un-Check the Re-Partition Check Box
  • Click RUN
  • When the operation completes the device will re-boot
At this point you will have a Rooted KPG Version of Gingerbread with a fully Functioning ClockWorkMod Recovery. You may wish to stop here but reports informed me that the KPI firmware was faster. I decided to Install it as outlined blelow/

E. Flash KPI Gingerbread update

Before Installing the KPI Update I did the following:
  • From within the running system went to CWM application and opened it.
  • Granted the application Superuser Permissions
  • Used the application to "Re-Boot to Recovery"
  • Device Re-Booted into CWM and I performed a Nandroid Backup
  • While still in CWM "Wipe Data / Factory Reset" AND
  • Wipe Cache Partition AND
  • Wipe Dalvik Cache
  • Power Off
Your Device is now ready to recieve the KPI Firmware Update
  • Download the file "P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6.zip" from Post 2 and Check the MD5 Sum
  • Extract the the file to create the folder "P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6"
  • Start you Device in Download Mode and connect it to ODIN
  • Navigate to the file "P1010XXKPI_P1010XEUKPI_HOME.tar.md5" in the PDA Field
  • Leave the PIT and CSC fields Blank and Un-cjecked
  • Make sure the Re-Partition checkbox is Un-Checked
  • Click Run
  • While the program is running your ODIN screen will look like this:
download.php

• When the Process completes your Device will Re-Boot and your About Device Info will be as follows:

Kernel: 2.6.35.7-CL882382 (SE.INFRA@SEP-95 #1)

Build: GINGERBREAD.XXKPI

At this point I performed the following:
  • Went Through Initial Setup Screens
  • Powered Off Device
F. Re-Install ClockWorkMod AGAIN

Same as before. The procedure has wiped out our Recovery and we need to Re-install it. This time however we will use a different file beause I do not Believe the Skin1980 Gingerbread Version is compatible with the KPI Firmware. Luckily we have another Developer working on this Device. Please visit and Thank Motafoca for providing the following file:

madteam-cwm-p1010-kpi.tar .......MD5 Sum: f868e789245ec3dae87efaf2e30b1165
  • Click RUN
At this point you will have a Rooted KPI Version of Gingerbread with a fully Functioning ClockWorkMod Recovery.

G. Final Steps (Optional)
  • Opened CWM Application and Granted SuperUser Permissions
  • Rebooted to Recovery Using "Reboot Recovery"
NOTE: This version of CWM uses different button mappings. Volume Up / Volume Down to navigate and POWER button to Select
  • Mounted Device using Mounts / Storage and connected to PC
  • Put Titanium Backup files back on Device
  • Reboot System Now
  • Setup Date and Time
  • Connected to WiFi
  • Went to Market and Added Google Account
  • Waited for Account Sync to complete
  • Re-Enabled "Unkonon Sources"
  • Downloaded and Installed Titanium Backup
  • Ran Titanium Backup and Restored app's and data
DONE and running PERFECT !!!! Enjoy!!!

Donations

While I enjoy tinkering with devices and trying new methods, doing so can be time consuming. Compiling and witing this tutorial took me a considerable amount of time. I have also convieniently placed all the required files on an Ad-Free, Fast Download server so you can get them quick and don't need to hunt around. Mediafire was my server of choice but it is NOT free. I pay a monthly service charge to host on the server and this will also insure that the files are available now AND in the future. If you like my work and feel that it has helped you, I would appreciate a donation as a token of your appreciation. Simply click the button below or the "Donate to Me" button under my Username. Anything you can spare will be appreciated and go toward keeping the file sharing up and running as well as keep me interested in generating more tutorials. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Thread Consolidation and Links

The following Threads have been found and pertain strictly to the GT-P1010. If you find another thread that you feel should be included either link it in a post or PM me. I will review same and add to this section as appropriate.

[WIFI Only] [How-to] GT-P1010 Gingerbread Update ........ Thanks Taney

[CWM][RELEASE] Clockworkmod recovery for P1010 ....... Thanks Skin1980

Galaxy Tab p1010 tweaks ..... Thanks s2h2golf

[Tool / Mod] - CleanMOD 1.0.1 for GT-P1010 Gingerbread 2.3.6! Mod the Tab! ..... Thanks scrosler

Last edited:

buzzdalf

Jan 23, 2011
thank you for creating this guide!!
I got one of these for my daughter to play with and I was having a hard time figuring out what information pertains to her model.

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
2013-03-09 - I have been away from these forums for awhile now and apologize if I haven't been around to answer any questions. Just been too busy with other responsibilities. While I still own this device, I have moved on to another and have not kept up with development on the GTP-1010. I hope that many users have had success but I know from reading the posts that a few have struggled. Thank you to those that have attempted to assist in my absence. Honestly, without doing much with this device, I don't know how to answer some of the PM's I have received. This device was at the time considered "Legacy" in my mind and over 1 year later I don't believe anything has changed. With this said I will not be providing additional information or files and it does not make financial sense for me to continue paying for the "Pro" mediafire account. I will be canceling it today but have paid for it through 2013-04-01 at which time it will revert to a "free" account. I have no idea at this time what will happen to the links in my posts on that date but suggest that anyone interested, download everything before then. If time permits I will attempt to move everything over to a new server but I make no promises. The "free" version of Mediafire may still work but I vaguely remember paying for "pro" for a reason. I just don't remember why. Thanks for all the "thanks". I'm glad this has at least helped some people. Again, I appologize for not being around and for any issues with the links after April, 1 2013

Last edited:

holyterror

Aug 23, 2010
Bravo

Thank you for your hard work. Sent donation. Saved me hours of searching and coordinating the info. C'mon guys, how much time has this post saved you?

Reactions: Land Master

apolonetics

Mar 17, 2012
Hi i followed your instructions until i got to "Rooting" section.. the little problem issue i have is that the device i have doesn't have the Android Market..(i know i was shocked too) it has the Samsung Apps online but even that doesn't have the Titanium Backup App... any suggestions of how to install the Android Market? (btw love the instructions, nice and clear)

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Hi i followed your instructions until i got to "Rooting" section.. the little problem issue i have is that the device i have doesn't have the Android Market..(i know i was shocked too) it has the Samsung Apps online but even that doesn't have the Titanium Backup App... any suggestions of how to install the Android Market? (btw love the instructions, nice and clear)

Sorry about the late response. Honestly this forum gets very little attention and I haven't been checking as often as I should.

That said ... I think you need to review post 4 which is an extension of the lessons learned in post 1. The firmware files ALL have the market built into them and following those steps should return you to a STOCK ROM. Make sure you backup any user files that you need before you begin. An internet search should allow you to find the .apk file for titanium backup. If you enable "unknown sources" in settings and get the app onto your device, clicking it should install the application. I'm not sure though if you finished the rooting step of stopped short or it. You NEED root to run Titanium,

Also, Keep in mind that as stated I performed these steps on a US version of the hardware and I don't offer that devices from other regions will be 100% compatible. But, from my research I believe most should be.

In summary, please provide me with additional details regarding your device and it's history. I'm sure we can get you squared away. There is always a Google App's package (GAPPS) that could be flashed to your device to get the Market but I am concerned about the fact that your's doesn't have it. This makes me think that without starting from a fresh ROM we would ultimately just be chasing our tails trying to troubleshoot other issues.

apolonetics

Mar 17, 2012
Thank you so much for replying.. i didn't think you'll reply to my post... but before i go to the next step.. i was playing around with it.. following your instructions on updating drivers and rooting etc... i then got stuck on "rooting" section hence me posting for help on getting the Titanium Backup... anyway i decided to upload couple of rugby videos so i can watch it later... i was in the middle of one video when all of sudden it stopped and turned itself off, i turned it back on and it stuck on the Samsung logo and it has been stuck on that since 24+ hrs ago after turning it on/off... on/off - i think i might have f'd it up...

I got it as a prize from a competition last year (2011) in Oct, and ever since i've been having problems with it.. let me know what other info you need me to provide!

much appreciated for the help!

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Thank you so much for replying.. i didn't think you'll reply to my post... but before i go to the next step.. i was playing around with it.. following your instructions on updating drivers and rooting etc... i then got stuck on "rooting" section hence me posting for help on getting the Titanium Backup... anyway i decided to upload couple of rugby videos so i can watch it later... i was in the middle of one video when all of sudden it stopped and turned itself off, i turned it back on and it stuck on the Samsung logo and it has been stuck on that since 24+ hrs ago after turning it on/off... on/off - i think i might have f'd it up...

I got it as a prize from a competition last year (2011) in Oct, and ever since i've been having problems with it.. let me know what other info you need me to provide!

much appreciated for the help!

Honestly in order to support you I believe you should start from scratch. You should be able to get the device to download mode even if it is stuck on the Samsung Logo. Hold the power button until the unit turns off completely and then use the instructions to enter download mode. Then follow all the instructions in Post 4.

This will of course wipe your device totally clean so make sure you have everything backed up. Even though you can't get the system to boot you may be able to access your files by hooking it up to the PC. This is certainly true if you have already installed CWM. Look in the tutorial and find the section where I discuss "Mounts & Storage" from within CWM. This will allow you to copy off any important files. Then perform all the steps in Post 4.

That is really all I can offer as I don't know what you have done on the device to this point.

totihut

Mar 6, 2008
hai there.
i have few questions regarding upgrade to gingerbread.
my OS is 2.2.1 Froyo.DXKG1
if i want to upgrade my device to gingerbread P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6, should i upgrade my device to the latest froyo (P1010XWKC1_OXX) then to gingerbread (P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_XEU) then to gingerbread (gingerbread P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI)??
or i can upgrade it straight away to gingerbread P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6??
Thank you

Last edited:

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
hai there.
i have few questions regarding upgrade to gingerbread.
my OS is 2.2.1 Froyo.DXKG1
if i want to upgrade my device to gingerbread P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6, should i upgrade my device to the latest froyo (P1010XWKC1_OXX) then to gingerbread (P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_XEU) then to gingerbread (gingerbread P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI)??
or i can upgrade it straight away to gingerbread P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6??
Thank you

Yes! This is what worked 100% for me so I recomend all the steps. The first upgrade to latest froyo has repartition checked which essentially gives you a clean slate. The seperate GB steps insure you end up with root. Good luck!

Reactions: totihut

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Galaxy Tab GT-P1010 NooB Guide - Last Revised 2012-02-29

2013-03-09 - SEE POST 9 FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Revisions

2012-02-27 - Initial Publication
    2012-02-29 - Added Firmware Download, Thread Consolidation, Custom ROM's, Flashing Stock Firmware and Q&A Section(s)

Post Summary

In this thread I will attempt to outline the details I know of regarding the Galaxy Tab GT-P1010. I feel this is a necessary thread because this device is NOT the same as the various other devices that garner so much attention within this forum and I personally experianced quite a difficult time searching to find the questions to my answers as they releated to this device in particular. While it is my opinion that this device should have it's own sub-forum, I do not believe it is popular enough. This said I feel that it is a fairly solid device and if you are like me, you are somewhat lost in in finding the approriate information. Hopefully this thread will be informative and popular enough that it may get stickied so us lowly 1010 users can find the information they are looking for. I am an active XDA member and will do my best to keep this thread updated as new information & techniques become available. If you see some information that you feel should be included do not hesitate to bring same to my attention and I will update the OP's accordinglly. These Instructions are for use on Windows machines even though I personally use a Mac. If you are in the same boat, I recomend running windows within a Virtual Machine (VM). I use Parallels but VirtualBox is a free alternative. Mac and or Linux only instructions may follow at a later date, but honestly a majority of users use Windows so I'm starting there. Without further a do, let's get started.

GT-P1010 Device Specifications

The GT-P1010 is also know as the "Wi-Fi Only" 7" Galaxy Tab. It differs from a majority of the devices in this forum because it has NO 3G or cellular capabilities. The hardware of the device is also different enough from the 3G/Cellular versions, that the Development going on for these other devices will NOT work for it. The GT-P1010 is unfortunately considered a "forgotten" device and even Samsung has seemingly abandoned providing updates for it. This is particularlly evident within the United States (US), however other Countries, speciffically the United Kingdom (UK) have been seeing updates. For the record I am the owner of a US version and this guide was written using my experiance on that device.

A complete list of specifications can be viewed from Samsung's US Website HERE

MD5 Sums

When downloading files from the internet is extremly important that you verify the download was complete and not corrupted. Insuring this can avoid troubleshooting issues that may simply be because of a bad file. All files available from this post will have an MD5 sum next to them. To verify that your file is EXACTLY the same as the file on the server you will need to run it through an MD5 checker. These checkers are available freely over the internet and Mac OS X even has one built in. I'm not going to make this post about how to run these programs but have included a few links below to get you started. A complete explanation of MD5 Sums can be found at Wikipedia.

WinMD5Free

Drivers - Samsung KIES

In order to perform updates to your P-1010 you need to be able to communicate with the device via a USB cable. While there are stand-alone USB drivers available, I chose to install Samsung's "KIES" application so that I could see if any updates were being pushed directly from Samsung. The KIES program also offers additional functionality to allow you to sync various media on your device. This functionality may or may not be needed for all users but by installing the software you are also guaranteed that the drivers needed to communicate with the device are installed on your machine. The US Samsung KIES site can be accessed HERE but I have included a direct link to the latest Windows Version below.

Kies_2.2.0.12014_18_7 ---- MD5 Sum: 7116aa29ce9df3dc2e916128c9c0aa4c

Download the file and double click it to install KIES and the drivers to you system. Once this is acomplished running the program will present you with a screen similar to the one below:

download.php

ODIN

ODIN is a utility that communicates with your device when it is in Download Mode (see below). This utility allows you to flash different firmware and other files to your Galaxy Tab. A screenshot of ODIN running is posted below.

download.php

To Run ODIN you will need to download and Un-zip the following file. Once this is acomplished you can run the program by simply double clicking the .EXE file "Odin3 v1.85.exe" which will be inside the un-zipped (extracted) folder. The program does NOT get "installed" and this section is just an overview of the tool. Additional steps on when to use it, and how, will be included in the appropriate sections below.

Odin3-v1.85.zip. ---- MD5 Sum: 414e3af7c4c01e21527aeaab65e68a75

Download Mode

Initiating Download Mode

To communicate with ODIN the device needs to be placed into Download Mode. This is accomplished (from an OFF condition) by holding the Volume Down button + the Power Button at the same time until Download Mode is activated. I have found that the easiest way to do this is to press and hold the Volume Down button and then press and hold the Power Button. Download mode will activate within a couple of seconds and your device will indicate such by presenting you with the following screen. As soon as that happens you can release both buttons.

Exiting Download Mode

If you flash any updated files to your Tab using the procedures outlined below, the device will accept the files and reboot on it's own thereby exiting download mode. If you find that you have entered download mode when you did not intend to use ODIN to flash files, you can EXIT download mode by Holding the Power Button for about 10 seconds. The device will then turn off and when you turn it back on it will boot normally. This can be a little scary considering the warning stating "Do Not Turn of the Target". This warning can be ignored and it is actually telling you not to turn it off while files are being written to it.

download.php

Connecting Device to ODIN

To play it safe, I recomend that you try connecting your device to KIES FIRST just to insure that the drivers have been installed properly. If KIES can recognize the device then so can ODIN. Simply open KIES and connect the device to your computer via the USB cable. Once you see that KIES is communicating with the Tab you can close KIES and disconnect the Device from the USB. This will only need to be done once, again, just to make sure the communication is working. Once you are satisfied that it is ....

Run ODIN by double clicking the executable file as outlined above. Place the device in download mode as outlined above. Connect the device to the computer using the USB cable. You will then notice that ODIN has found and is communicating with your device because the ID:COM field will turn yellow and assign a COM port to your device. This COM port will vary by user so don't be alarmed if you personally don't see "COM5" as shown in the screenshot below. As long as this field turns yellow you are good to go.

download.php

Recovery Mode - Stock

A stock Tab has a built in recovery mode that will allow you to perform a factor reset on the device and other "maintenance". This mode is entered (from an OFF condition) by holding the Volume Up button + the Power Button at the same time until you see the Samsung Logo, then Release the Power button but continue to hold the Volume up button until Recovery Mode is activated and your device presents you with the following screen. As soon as that happens you can release the Volume Up button. Once Recovery is activated you can toggle through the menu items by using the Volume up & Volume down buttons. To execute a selection use either the Power OR Home Button. It is the Power button on my device but this apparently varies on some models.

download.php

Rooting

If you are here on XDA then you are probably interested in "Rooting" your device. Rooting has many advantages and certain Market Applications will only work if you have these Root Powers. The US version of the Stock GT-P1010 is currently running the Froyo version of the Android Operating System. A Gingerbread version has not been officially released and may never be. We will deal with upgrading to Gingerbread later in the Tutorial. For now, if you want to Root your device running Froyo (My device had Build: Froyo.UEKC6), you can follow these steps:

1. Download the application Z4Root from the following link:

Z4Root.1.3.0.zip ---- MD5 Sum: 077974421412b25089289acdc763b1c1

2. Unzip the archive to Extract the file : "z4root.1.3.0.apk"

3. Connect your Tab to the PC and initiate "Mass Storage Mode"
    • Connect USB Cable
    • Drag down Status Bar and Click "USB Connected" under the ongoing tasks
    • Click "Turn on USB Storage"
    • Your device should mount and be available as a Removable Drive in Windows
    4. Copy the .apk file from step 2 to your device
    • It doesn't matter where you put this file. Just remember where so you can find it in the next step(s)
    • The easiest place would be the "root" of the Removable Disk
    5. Enable "Unknown Sources" on your Tab
    • Settings >> Applications >> Check Unknown Sources Box
    6. Enable "USB Debugging" on your Tab
    • Settings >> Applications >> Development >> Check USB Debugging Box
    7. Install Z4Root
    • Use any "file explorer" program on the Tab. You should have an application called "My Files". It will work fine
    • Navigate to the .apk file you put on the device in Step 4
    • Click the .apk file
    • Click Install
    • Application will install and you will have a Z4Root Icon in your app drawer
    download.php

8. Setup Z4Root
    • Click the Z4Root Icon
    • You will be presented with two (2) Options. Temporary Root & Permanent Root
    • I chose Permanent Root but you could "try" it first if you like
    • In my case the device re-booted and I was rooted.
    • To test this I installed an application called Titanium Backup (see next Section).
    • Note: The Z4Root Icon will remain and if you open it again you will be given the option to"Un-Root".
    Titanium Backup

Titanium Backup is a GREAT program that lets you backup all your applications as well as the user data that is used by them. For example your game progress, high scores, ETC. Titanium Backup REQUIRES Root access and in my opinion is reason enough to Root your device. There is a Free as well as a Paid version of this application. Let's install this program to verify that we have in fact "rooted" our device.

Installing and Checking for Root
    • Go to the market and search for Titanium Backup
    • Give the free version a try just to confrm Root. Simply install it from the market.
    • Once installed open the application and you should be presented with a dialog box stating that "Titanium Backup is requesting Super User Permissions".
    • Click allow and follow any on-screen instructions
    • You will eventually get to an "Overview" screen and should see that Root Access has a Green Checkmark next to it and that BusyBox was installed from the app.
    • Congratulations you are now rooted
    Backing up Files

To backup your applications and user data using Titanium Backup follow the steps below:
    • Click Batch
    • Under the Backup section on the next screen click Run next to "Backup all User App + System Data"
    • On the next screen Select the applications you want to backup, They are ALL selected by default.
    • Make sure the "Pause Active App's" radio button is selected
    • Congratulations. You have just performed an application Backup!

There is no reason performing a backup if you are just going to leave it on your device. Obviously if something catastrophic were to happen, you would lose the backup as well. The backup files are located in the /sdcard/TitaniumBackup directory.
    • Once the device is mounted navigate to the TitaniumBackup directory. Note: When mounted to the PC, the /sdcard directoy is the one mounted so TitaniumBackup should appear in the root of the Removable Disk.
    • Copy the entire TitaniumBackup Directory to your PC
    • You now have a folder that can be restored to your device allowing you to restore your applications without re-downloading them from the Market.
    • Remember to copy this folder to your computer after perfoming any future backups.
    Restoring your applications

To restore your applications and user data using Titanium Backup make sure that the backup containing the files you wish to restore is located at /sdcard/TitaniumBackup and follow the steps below:
    • Click Batch
    • Under the Restore section on the next screen click Run next to "Restore missing apps with data"
    • On the next screen Select the applications you want to Restore, They are ALL selected by default.
    • Decide if you want to restore just the app, the app and it's data or just the data by clicking the appropriate radio button
    • Follow the prompts to install each application
    • Congratulations. You have just perfored a restore
    Note: Once we get into flashing custom Rom's in the sections that follow, sometimes restoring application "data" can be problematic. If you flash a new firmware or Rom and are experiancing issues with an application after restoring it's data, this may be the reason.

Custom Recovery - ClockWorkMod

In the section above we explained about the System Reovery that was built and installed by Samsung. This is great for restoring your system to an out of the box (OOB) condition but not for much else. In order to flash custom Rom's and perform Nandroid Backups we will need to replace the "stock" recovery with a Custom version. ClockWorkMod (CWM) is the recovery of choice for a majority of users and while there are "others" out there, only CWM has been made available for our devices. A Nandroid backup is an exact copy or "image" of your system and can be used to restore your system to the exact state it was in at the time you made the backup. So, lets get to installing CWM.

You will need to download the following file:

Skin1980_P1010_CWM-RECOVERY-BETA-1 ---- MD5 Sum: ca14360ee5f1eebd0efaec5adc77940e

Note: This file is only to be used if you are running the Froyo Version of Android
    • Using the information above put your device in Download Mode and connect it to ODIN
    • click the PDA button in ODIN and navigate to the file you just downloaded
    • Make sure your ODIN screen is setup and matched the screenshot below:
    download.php

• Click the "Start" button and watch your device and the "Message" section of ODIN. You will see some some text in the message center and your screen will show a progress indicator.
    • Once this completes your device will re-boot. It may boot directly to your new ClockWorkMod OR it might boot back into your operating system.
    • If it boots to the operating system you can get to CWM using the same procedure outlined in the "Stock" recovery section above. Volume up + Power.
    • Make sure you are booted into CWM and see the screen shown below:
    download.php

Once you are in CWM the Volume Up / Down buttonas re used to navigate through the menu choices and the Settings Drawer Hardware ley is used to select an option. The Back hardware key also functions to go back to the previous menu but all screens also offer a "Go Back" choice. If you click the Power Button and are presented with a blank screen simply click it again and CWM will come back up. Now, lets make out first Nandroid Backup!

Making a Nandroid Backup
    • Navigate and Execute the "Backup" menu item
    • Sit back and wait for your backup to complete.
    • When it completes you will see .. "Backup Complete"
    • That's it! Congratulations!

Again, as with Titanium there is no reason performing a backup if you are just going to leave it on your device. The CWM backup files are located in the /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup directory. Inside this directory you will see a folder that is named based upon the date and time you performed the backup. For Example 2012-02-27.21.57.14 means that the backup was created on February 27, 2012 at 21:57:14. This is UTC time so make sure you add or subtract your UTC offset to get to "local" time.
    • Once the device is mounted navigate to the clockworkmod/backup directory. Note: When mounted to the PC, the /sdcard directoy is the one mounted so clockworkmod directory should appear in the root of the Removable Disk.
    • Copy the folder containing your backup to your PC
    • You now have a folder that can be restored to your device allowing you to restore your system to the exact sate it was in at the time of the backup..
    • Remember to copy any future backups to your PC as Well.
    Restoring a Nandroid Backup

To restore your system to it's nacked up state make sure that the backup containing the Nandroid you wish to restore is located at /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup and follow the steps below:
    • Boot into CWM
    • Navigate and Execute the "Restore" menu item
    • Sit back and wait for your restore to complete.
    • When it completes you will see .. "Restore Complete"
    • Navigate to and execute the "Reboot System Now" menu item
    • Your device will reboot and you will be restored to the exact state your system was in when you made the backup
    Mounting Mass Storage in CWM

In some instances you may be faced with a system that won't boot which makes getting your Nandroid Backup put back on your device problematic. Don't fear. Using CWM you can mount the USB Mass Storage without the need to be running the operating system. Here's how:
    • Boot into CWM
    • Plug your USB Cable into your PC
    • Navigate to and Execute the "Mounts and storage" menu item
    • Navigate to and Execute the "mount USB storage" menu item
    • The Device will mount and you will have access to it from your PC
    • Copy your Nandroid Backup to the clockworkmod/backup folder
    • Go "back"
    • Go "Back"
    • Go to "backup and restore"
    • Restore your Nandroid
    • Reboot
    • Welcome back to a running machine!!
    Credit and Thanks

While I have compiled all the files, tested them, generated MD5 Sums and written this tutorial based upon my experiance, it should be noted that other users are responsible for the actual Development. If you think I have done a good job and find this information usefull Please click my "THANKS" button. It is not necessary to thank me by witing a seperate post and by not doing so you keep this thread clean and easy to find the information that others may be looking for You should also visit the following users, find a post or two from them and THANK them as well. Without them none of this would be possible.

Skin1980 for his Development of ClockWorkMod for the GT-P1010

RyanZA for his Development of Z4Root

motafoca for his Development of ClockWorkMod for the KPI Firmware

Donations

Questions or Comments

If you have any questons or feel that certain information could be added or clarified, feel free to post them. I will do my best to check this thread often and assist you as best I can. Valid questions will be answered and added to the Q&A post below.

We have said that updated firmware for the US version of the GT-P1010 has NOT been actively provided by Samsung however if you look in Post 2 above you will see that all is not lost. The Europe version of this device has been provided with an update as late as January 2012. I would recommend (and really it was the reason I wrote this tutorial) that you perform ALL the steps above BEFORE flashing any type of Firmawre update/upgrade. This will not only give you experiance running the "tools" but it will allow you to perform the various back-ups in case anything goes "wrong".

Quite simply, Firmware is "flashed" to your device using ODIN. I have searched for a complete guide explaining the vaious sections of ODIN to no avail. Honestly I don't know when certain fields (PIT, CSC), ETC need to be populated and when they don't. I believe, but am not 100% sure that when flashing a brand new Firmware (for example from a US to European version) that the PIT, PDA and CSC fields need to be filled in and the Re-Partition radio button needs to be Checked. I have ALWAYS had the Auto-Reboot & F. Rest Time boxes checked, but again, I can't say why. It is my belief that if the Re-Partition button is checked, that it has the effect of "wiping" all partitions on the device.The only guide I have found is the following:

P1010-Flashingguide.pdf

It is probably a fair statement to make that if a Zip or RAR file you download contains a PIT or CSC file, then you probably need to included them in your flash. Keep in mind that I have experianced an issue where a seperate ZIP file was compressed inside an overall ZIP container. Always make sure that you not only extract the main downloaded file but that you also look inside the extracted folder for another ZIP file that may need to also be extracted.

I will provide an example of my experiance upgrading my US version to the latest UK version below.

Upgrading US Version to Latest Rooted UK Version

First, I must give full Credit to Taney for developing the instructions from This Thread. I followed them and experianced no significant issues. I will be re-creating a portion of them, expanding (clarifying) on some areas that I felt would give NooB's difficulity and then taking the instructions a step farther to upgrade to what is known as the "KPI" version of the Firmware which is the latest one Available. PLEASE make sure that you "Thank" Taney because without the instructions that he provided none of this would be possible.

A. Upgrade / Downgrade to the Latest Froyo Firmware
    • Place your Device in Download Mode and connect it to ODIN as outlined in the tutorial above.
    • Download the P1010XWKC1_OXX.rar file from the link in Post 2 of this thread and check the MD5 Sum
    • Extract this rar file to create a folder called "P1010XWKC1_OXXKC1"
    • Within ODIN Click the PIT button and navigate to the file "p1wifi_20110128_r10_00.pit" within the folder you extracted.
    • Click the PDA Button and navigate to the file "P1010XWKC1-REV03-ALL-low-CL946441.tar.md5"
    • Click the CSC Button and navigate to the file "GT-P1010-MULTI-CSC-OXXKC1.tar.md5"
    • Make sure the Re-Partition, Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time buttons are CHECKED
    • Click "Start". ****** NOTICE THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA ON YOUR DEVICE*****
    • When these steps are completed and the process running your ODIN screen should look like this:
    download.php

When the process Completes your Device will Re-boot. The first Boot could take significantly longer than normal. Just wait and when you see the lock screen open it and enter the OS. At this point you may be experiancing what is known as a "boot-loop". Simply stated the device will keep re-booting and not allow you to do anything without throwing "force close" errors, In his tutorial Taney says that this may or may not happen. It did for me and the fix is in the next section.

B. Flash updated Kernel

To fix the effects of the boot loop you need to flash another file known as a kernel. Like I said I personally DID experiance the boot-loops and had to perform these steps. Since my overall procedure was successful, it is my recomendation that you do it whether you experiance the boot-loop or not. This decision is entirely up to you but you have my suggestion. To flash the Kernel perform the following:
    • Download the file file "P1010ZHKF1-kernel.ZIP" from the Kernel's section in Post 2 of this thread and check the MD5 Sum
    • Extract the ZIP file to create the folder "P1010ZHKF1-kernel"
    • If ODIN is still open replace the file in the PDA field with the file "P1010ZHKF1-KERNEL-eng.tar" from the extracted folder OR
    • Power off your Tab. NOTE: If it is stuck in a bootloop I found that holding the power button down finally was able to shut off the device.
    • When the process completes your device will re-boot and the ODIN screen will look like this:
    download.php

At this point you should have a bootable Device and not experiance any further boot-loops. Your About Device Information should read as follows:

Firmware: 2.2.1

Kernel: 2.6.32.9 (se.infra@sep_24 #1)

Build: Froyo.XXKC1

C. Flash KPG Gingerbread update

In this step we will flash our first Gingerbread update known as the "KPG Version". Follow these steps:
    • Download the file "P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_XEU.zip" from the Firmware section in Post 2 and Check the MD5 Sum.
    • Extract the ZIP file to create the folder "P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_XEU"
    • If ODIN is still open replace the file in the PDA field with the file "P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_HOME.tar.md5" from the extracted folder OR
    • Power OFF your Tab
    • When the process completes your device will re-boot.
    At this point you should have a bootable Device running Gingerbread. Your About Device Information should read as follows:

Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - CL749223 (se.infra@SEI-15 #1)

Build:GINGERBREAD.XXKPG

D. Reinstall ClockWorkMod

The steps above have had the effect of returning your device to stock and therefore the Recovery Partition was overwritten with the "stock" recovery. We need to re-install ClockWorkMod at this point.
    • Download the following file and check the MD5 Sum
    Skin1980-P1010-NEW-CF-ROOT-GB.tar .......MD5 Sum: 1cab6775d572c416371c09f9c3654823
    • Click RUN
    At this point you will have a Rooted KPG Version of Gingerbread with a fully Functioning ClockWorkMod Recovery. You may wish to stop here but reports informed me that the KPI firmware was faster. I decided to Install it as outlined blelow/

E. Flash KPI Gingerbread update

Before Installing the KPI Update I did the following:
    • From within the running system went to CWM application and opened it.
    • Granted the application Superuser Permissions
    • Used the application to "Re-Boot to Recovery"
    • Device Re-Booted into CWM and I performed a Nandroid Backup
    • While still in CWM "Wipe Data / Factory Reset" AND
    • Wipe Cache Partition AND
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache
    • Power Off
    Your Device is now ready to recieve the KPI Firmware Update
    • Download the file "P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6.zip" from Post 2 and Check the MD5 Sum
    • Extract the the file to create the folder "P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6"
    • Start you Device in Download Mode and connect it to ODIN
    • Navigate to the file "P1010XXKPI_P1010XEUKPI_HOME.tar.md5" in the PDA Field
    • Leave the PIT and CSC fields Blank and Un-cjecked
    • Make sure the Re-Partition checkbox is Un-Checked
    • Click Run
    • While the program is running your ODIN screen will look like this:
    download.php

• When the Process completes your Device will Re-Boot and your About Device Info will be as follows:

Kernel: 2.6.35.7-CL882382 (SE.INFRA@SEP-95 #1)

Build: GINGERBREAD.XXKPI

At this point I performed the following:
    • Went Through Initial Setup Screens
    • Powered Off Device
    F. Re-Install ClockWorkMod AGAIN

Same as before. The procedure has wiped out our Recovery and we need to Re-install it. This time however we will use a different file beause I do not Believe the Skin1980 Gingerbread Version is compatible with the KPI Firmware. Luckily we have another Developer working on this Device. Please visit and Thank Motafoca for providing the following file:

madteam-cwm-p1010-kpi.tar .......MD5 Sum: f868e789245ec3dae87efaf2e30b1165
    • Click RUN
    At this point you will have a Rooted KPI Version of Gingerbread with a fully Functioning ClockWorkMod Recovery.

G. Final Steps (Optional)
    • Opened CWM Application and Granted SuperUser Permissions
    • Rebooted to Recovery Using "Reboot Recovery"
    NOTE: This version of CWM uses different button mappings. Volume Up / Volume Down to navigate and POWER button to Select
    • Mounted Device using Mounts / Storage and connected to PC
    • Put Titanium Backup files back on Device
    • Reboot System Now
    • Setup Date and Time
    • Connected to WiFi
    • Went to Market and Added Google Account
    • Waited for Account Sync to complete
    • Re-Enabled "Unkonon Sources"
    • Downloaded and Installed Titanium Backup
    • Ran Titanium Backup and Restored app's and data
    DONE and running PERFECT !!!! Enjoy!!!

Donations

Firmware and Kernel's for P1010

This section will contain a list and download links for the various Firmware's available for the GT-P1010. As noted above the US version has been getting no love from Samsung with regard to updates. This is a shame and makes no sense to me considering the UK version HAS been actively updated. With this said however many users have been "flashing" the UK versions to their US Tab's with success.

SamMobile Firmware Page

Latest Firmware
    Europe Firmware
    Middle East Firmware

Compliments of Mod2Xtreme.com

Forum Post Link

Firmware Direct Links

P1010XWKC1_OXX.rar ..... MD5 Sum: 95bd7437271f3bee6eacb017d0ef45a1

P1010XXKPG_P1010XEUKPG_XEU.zip .... MD5 Sum: 3b0f63ccb0b42643d953fcba472eb5f2

P1010XXKPI_XEUKPI_Android_2.3.6.zip .... MD5 Sum: 4d33426db6cecdb48568adecf10bc8fd

Kernel's

P1010ZHKF1-kernel.ZIP .... MD5 Sum: 6dc467ff92fc676c1f61e59e893493eb
    Custom Rom's

2/29/2012

Currently there are no Custom Rom's available for the GT-P1010. A Developer named Motafoca is working on a port of Cyanogenmod and information regarding progress can be viewed in the following thread.

Motofoca's Cyanogen Port

Motofoca is a member of the MadTeam and they have their own forum which can be viewed HERE.

The only other "Non-Stock" alternative at this time is CleanRom developed by scrosler There is also a website dedicated to this ROM viewable HERE.

I used the term "Non-Custom" because the CleanRom is based upon a Stock Gingerbread European firmware. From the Website they did the following:

Removed Samsung Bloat!
    ADW Launcher or TouchWiz Launcher!
    95% AOSP Gingerbread themed
    All Apps up to date!
    De-Odexed
    Zip Aligned
    Thread Consolidation and Links

The following Threads have been found and pertain strictly to the GT-P1010. If you find another thread that you feel should be included either link it in a post or PM me. I will review same and add to this section as appropriate.

[WIFI Only] [How-to] GT-P1010 Gingerbread Update ........ Thanks Taney

[CWM][RELEASE] Clockworkmod recovery for P1010 ....... Thanks Skin1980

Galaxy Tab p1010 tweaks ..... Thanks s2h2golf

[Tool / Mod] - CleanMOD 1.0.1 for GT-P1010 Gingerbread 2.3.6! Mod the Tab! ..... Thanks scrosler