Search This thread

invisible132

Jan 5, 2010
Hi. When i swipe my finger vertically across the screen, it acts like i release my finger from the screen somewhere in the middle. Looks like there is a small gap which is unresponsive. Is it digitizer problem? Could it be because i've changed digitizer few months ago and digitizer cable beame loose?

Neoby

Jul 27, 2010
After screen change it wasn´t getting better and i startet getting worried, but now it´s just fine! THANK U !!!

vasujahagirdar

Jan 1, 2009
raichur,karnataka
water damage !!

hi guys ,
my sunny is 3 years old ,unlocked ,supercid,fw 3.33,running viperone sense 5 rom,very good condition till yesterday,it was kept in bag along with chilled waterbottle for more than a hour !!.after that the screen in not responding!! removed the cover ,i could see water droplets present over battery & its compartment,i cleaned it & dried .the screen touch is not responding!! tried few methods like draining the battery ,keeping device under sunlight for few hours ,no result!! but the screen got dead pixals at bootom of screen after keeping under sunlight !!,
the capitative buttons also not working!
flashed another rom,no use.using non touch cwm recovery to flash roms.!!! tried to flash stock ruu butit failed with usb errors!!
any suggestions?? should i change digitizer?
thanks

Edit: after keeping it under Sun for half a day ,it remained same,but for dead pixels, to remove them I kept the device in deep freeze for the night !! Viola !! The screentouch came back alive !!! Phone nowrunning perfectly .

Last edited:
Found a new fix!!!!

Well, after trying all the solutions above, I always managed to keep the phone working only for a couple of days. The problems always used to come back. The screen would operate on its own, calling random persons and clicking pictures of its own. I replaced 4 different batteries, did soldering, pin adjusting, discharge cycles etc. But the problem always came back.

I didn't replace the digitizer because I was sure it's fine, otherwise the screen would have stopped working permanently. After months of testing and experimentation, I discovered that my problem was caused due to static current surrounding the touchscreen digitizer. It didn't have a screengaurd on it. So I went out and put a new screenguard, so as to prevent the static current from spreading around in the screen. The phone has been working like new ever since :)

Please note that this may or may not fix the problem. It fixed mine, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. Good Luck

Reactions: Potapson

john_1988

Jan 31, 2014
I can confirm that the tape solution still works

After a decent test period of several months, I can confirm that the solution that I have provided the 31th of January 2014 still works. Just ordinary transparent tape at the contact. This is still THE (best and cheapest) solution in my opinion... Can anyone confirm this?

num427f

Feb 18, 2015
Rome
Sensation touchscreen.

Newbi here folks, and English too, so please play nice.

Reading through this thread today because my own Sensation has been showing these symptoms and one of the solutions you guys came up with has worked for me so far, so, many thanks. But, reading on through the thread some things came to mind. I used to be an agricultural engineer so I work at a very basic level as far as electronics are concerned and the first thing that ALWAYS goes wrong with microelectronics in agriculture is water/dirt ingress and the resulting corrosion. My screen nowadays has a nice fan of dirt particles in both top corners of the screen where the double sided 'sticky' tape has given up and, looking at the contacts between the phone back and main chassis they are plainly filthy. Where dirt gets in so does damp so it's safe to assume that some corrosion has started. This can all be got rid of with contact (electric not eyes! :) cleaner on a brand new small size woman's eye makeup pad from the chemist. Remove the battery first! Also, living as we tend to now on manmade carpets wearing manmade clothes we all have substantial buildups of static electricity on our bodies which microelectrics hate. Before you go delving into any parts of your exposed phone interior it's good practise to earth yourself properly. The folk who do this stuff professionaly each day all wear an earth bracelet while they work to prevent the buildup.

Good luck and keep up the community. Many thanks.

piyu121

Feb 25, 2015
My touch screen is acting weird.. Its like some alien is touching my screen :'( its happening on one part of the screen tho...I always used it while charging I always used to drop it :'( what to do with it now?

reynard80

Oct 26, 2010
I'm having touchscreen problems after I dropped the phone.

The bottom third of the screen does not react well, as well as the 'hardware' buttons. Symptoms are like the symptoms mentioned in this thread. However, the solutions with the pin, and leaving the battery out overnight didn't help. When I use a Multitouch tester, it show that I'm touching with two fingers alternating on certain horizontal lines on the bottom third of the screen.

Might a faulty digitizer be the problem in this case?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread provides a simple solution to a rather serious screen unresponsiveness problem. The problem can manifest in some of the following ways: it takes more than one attempt to move the lock ring, not every press is registered when typing, buttons at the bottom of the screen don't always work, you can't get the carousel spinning, hectic touch issues while charging, etc. Many Sensations have this problem to some degree, and it has been reported on other phone models. Other phones can't be fixed using this method, but you could try the discharge process described under the fix.

UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE FIRST

Before proceeding with any hardware "manipulation" I recommend you try the latest firmware. If you are running a stock ROM simply update your phone's software, and if you are on a custom pre-ICS ROM the update can be found here.
    If the issues persist, keep reading.

IMPORTANT

You have to realise this fix does not solve the issue for everyone. So just to be clear, THIS DOES NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE FOR EVERYONE. The reason for this is simple - not everybody has the same issue. My opinion is that these issues have similar symptoms, but the causes are different. Similar issues could be caused by: a faulty charger, bad digitizer or SD card slot touching the cover.

The issue discussed here is related to a small silver pin located at the back of the phone (pictures below). That pin is the screen's "grounding" connection to the back cover. In time the pin loses proper contact to the cover and the screen becomes unresponsive. There is also a matter of static build-up which further complicates matters. I believe this is mostly down to the worst back cover in the known universe.
    You could get this problem for no particular reason, but you might also experience it after dropping the phone, sneezing too hard, or when using an aftermarket battery (Anker, Chichitec, etc.) since they are usually thicker. If you have issues only while charging try a different charger. If you still have issues, this fix should help.

Note that there is more than one way to fix the issue, and that the results are not always instantaneous. The simplest fix is pulling the aforementioned pin outwards. The downside is the pin might bend back into its original position... So you could try applying one of the alternative solutions as an addition to pulling the pin.

Also, I am not responsible for your actions. If you damage your phone, it's on you.

CREDITS

What I'm doing here is sorting useful info and adding creative advice, I am not the one responsible for the actual solution. It's primarily tinky1, who started the first thread on the issue, where most debating and solving was performed. Then, misiek_to_ja (and his daughter :)) noticed that using the phone without the back cover temporarily solves the problem. This meant the problem was beneath the back plate, which abrown0809 proved by pointing us to the grounding pin that everybody was somehow missing for two months. What followed were aluminium foil and soldering tricks that eliteone thought of. stuart0001 started a petition, but HTC ignored it. Andyjb103 pointed out that the firmware update can fix the issue in some cases. And there is of course everyone from tinky1's thread that went through loads of pain and suffering while testing different chargers, wall sockets, USB plugs, area codes, weather conditions, etc. A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE!
    Now then...

THE FIX

First, the simplest way to fix the issue. Switch the phone off, remove the back cover and locate the silver pin shown in this picture.

1.jpg

Now pull it out a bit, like so:

2.jpg

Use a needle, a tiny screwdriver, or anything with a pointy end. Just be careful and don't pull too hard or too much. The side of the pin that is closer to the edge of the phone is the side you want do the most pulling to.

And that's it as far as the pin goes! Results could be instant, but there is still a chance you'll need to do a couple of things:

1. Discharge the phone all the way (until it shuts down).
    2. Remove the battery and press the power button (as if you were trying to turn the phone on).
    3. Leave the phone without the battery overnight (or for at least an hour).
    4. Put the battery back and charge the phone without touching the screen.

Make sure you don't touch the screen whenever you're charging, until the issue disappears. This should happen within 2-3 days. If the problem persists, you ether did something wrong, or (as explained above) you have a different issue... Most common related problem is a faulty digitizer.

If the issue does go away you could make sure it stays that way by applying one of the alternatives as well.

ALTERNATIVES

See this small white square on the inside of the back cover?

3.jpg

That's where the silver pin makes contact to the cover. By pulling the pin out you insure better contact to that square. There are plenty of ways to further improve that contact.
    Here is a few:

1. Take a small piece of aluminium foil (2cm by 2cm, or whatever works for you), fold it a few times and put it over the square (like this). Now carefully put the phone into the cover and make sure the foil doesn't move away from the square. If you want to keep the foil in place add a drop of superglue (just not directly on the square).

2. Alternatively, the foil could go directly on the pin. Stuart0001 made a picture of that here. This version is a bit more risky though.

3. Adding any sort of aluminium works (or any conductor for that matter). Take a look at what Oceanic72 did here.

4. Put a few drops of solder onto the square. And be careful with this one... Or just skip it if you've never soldered before. More on that in eliteone's post here.

5. Put some electrically conductive paint on the square. Michael_Mcr suggested that here.

There you go :)
    If any of these solutions solve your problems but they come back, just try again. I do not recommend puling on the pin more than a few times though...

Hope I helped!
    May I just add, that the soldering method, while good and permanent is not for noobs that have never soldered before. In order for solder to properly fuse with aluminum you have to prep the aluminum first. If you don't the solder will just fall off. And keep your iron JUST HOT ENOUGH to melt the solder, if your iron is too hot you risk warping the aluminum your soldering to. But all that being said if your good with an iron, its the most permanent and effective way of getting true contact with your grounding pin. If anybody wants I can do a quick video tut and post it here, just not for a few days...... Got a new baby joining the family tomorrow :D so life will be pretty hectic round here ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium
    I don't have these problems, but thanking anyway :) I hope this solves the problem for most people

Swyped from my HTC Sensation
    OP updated.

And congrats to eliteone again!
    First off, I am not the one responsible for the solution. It's primarily tinky1, who started the first thread on the issue, where most debating and solving was, and still is, performed. Then, abrown0809 pointed us to the grounding pin that everybody was somehow missing for two months. What followed were aluminium foil and soldering tricks that eliteone thought of. Also, stuart0001 started a petition that I hope HTC noticed... THANK YOU ALL :)
    I might have missed somebody important... Sorry, I am dealing with a lot of info these couple of days... There is of course everyone from tinky1's thread that went through loads of pain and suffering while testing every possible solution and fix. Myself included :)

Well, I (or more my daughter) will take the credit as well. If I would not discover the fix with taking off the back cover it would not point all of you to grounding pin :)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16858697&postcount=917