How to force glass to update?

Search This thread

XxCyberHackerxX

Apr 20, 2014
NSB
I revived a glass unit from the home try before you by program. The Version is XE13 and I want to update it to XE16 but it won't update and it says it's up to date. The micro USB port will charge but won't connect to my PC so any idea guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Not really related, but could you dump the rom if it first?
(im not sure how easy this part would be without a working usb port, you would normally simply "adb pull /system" if it worked)

I doubt that there is an ota for it to begin with, they likely never made a patch for it since it isnt public.
(unless the glass team's policy differs from the standard android one) they generally do not make otas for combinations that they would not expect in the wild

Normally if this were a nexus device, the course of action would be to just use the factory image, but like you mentioned the usb port isnt able to be detected by a pc.
If you can root it without using the usb port, it might be possible to manually get CWM loaded on it and update with a manually made update zip. But without a usb port, if anything goes wrong then it would be very difficult to recover from that.

Last edited:

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
I revived a glass unit from the home try before you by program. The Version is XE13 and I want to update it to XE16 but it won't update and it says it's up to date. The micro USB port will charge but won't connect to my PC so any idea guys?

Almost positive you can't just force an update. From what I read, the Glass unit should update whenever it's plugged in and on WiFi, but I couldn't get my try-on Glass to update no matter what.

One thing that "should" work is to just push the update OTA through adb, but doing this through USB would prove... difficult. Wireless ADB didn't seem possible either unless you hooked Glass up via USB at least once to enable it.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
Can you provide me instructions about wireless abd? Thanks In advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://coderwall.com/p/vq-eaw

How to get the IP address of Google Glass:

In ADB, run adb shell netcfg and get the IP adress of wlan0

Now, to access ADB, you need to open up port 5555: adb tcpip 5555

Now, to connect your ADP via TCP, execute this command: adb connect IP you got from step-1

And then, start accessing the ADB Shell by typing: adb shell

And boom, that’s it. You’re now accessing ADB via TCP. Unplug your usb and type adb devices to check.

To go back to usb mode type adb usb

And: http://www.the4cast.com/2013/04/how-to-fetch-the-ip-address-of-google-glass-for-adb/

Basically, you need to just get the IP of Glass (when connected to WiFi) and then do adb connect ADDRESS. Everything I see though says you had to of hooked the device to the computer at least once though to activate wireless ADB, but I could be wrong (I didn't venture too far into it at the time).

Since Debug mode is enabled by-default on those units, maybe you don't need the initial USB connection.

Last edited:

chishree

Jan 8, 2010
Is there anyone who could help step wise instruction on how to update glass to latest firmware?