[NERDS GITT] Switching from iPhone 5S to Samsung Galaxy S5

Search This thread

Lottodaumas

Aug 26, 2014
Before I start, I use "nerds" in the lowest form of derogatory possible. I am a nerd myself, just not in touch with the Android life.

I've had an iPhone since iPhone 4S. I have a 5S. Getting a Galaxy S5 for the specs and size of the phone. However, I'm not a fan of TouchWiz + Bloatware. I know all Droid devices come with bloatware. What firmware, official or custom, would be the best. I'll say right now before I was leaning towards to the Nexus 5 due to its firmware is straight from Google and isn't necessarily filled with as much bloatware.

Any suggestions?

fffft

Jul 16, 2013

Read more? .. so that you'll have a better idea of what would be best for you. Touchwiz (S5) and Nexus are almost antithetical UI experiences. So it's an odd comparison. If you strongly favour either one, then you'd be unlikely to really like the other one.

It's easy to debloat the S5 though. A simple search will find many threads on debloating the S5. But arguably the best way to proceed is to root your phone then install a custom ROM. A custom ROM is a ROM that is already debloated and optimized to run on your phone. Custom ROMs vary from basically 99.9% stock (just debloated) e.g. XtreStoLite. To ROMs that add a lot more customizations e.g. Phoenix or Alliance.

As to rooting, Towel root is the method most people prefer and it's basically just a click or two. Look for the prominent Towel root thread or you'll find links to it on most custom ROM threads. Note that Towel root only works on pre June 6th firmware builds. So if you have a very recent firmware you'd need to first write an older build of 4.4.2 firmware to your phone. Then root with Towelroot and flash a custom ROM.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Before I start, I use "nerds" in the lowest form of derogatory possible. I am a nerd myself, just not in touch with the Android life.

I've had an iPhone since iPhone 4S. I have a 5S. Getting a Galaxy S5 for the specs and size of the phone. However, I'm not a fan of TouchWiz + Bloatware. I know all Droid devices come with bloatware. What firmware, official or custom, would be the best. I'll say right now before I was leaning towards to the Nexus 5 due to its firmware is straight from Google and isn't necessarily filled with as much bloatware.

Any suggestions?

To be honest here as i had the Nexus 5, its fair to say that the Nexus 5 with for instance a custom kernel like Franco kernel is faster and smoother then the S5 will ever be. Yes the S5 can be debloated and is off course costumisable and is a good phone, the Nexus devices are the true tech/geek/nerd phones ;)

Lottodaumas

Aug 26, 2014
Read more? .. so that you'll have a better idea of what would be best for you. Touchwiz (S5) and Nexus are almost antithetical UI experiences. So it's an odd comparison. If you strongly favour either one, then you'd be unlikely to really like the other one.

It's easy to debloat the S5 though. A simple search will find many threads on debloating the S5. But arguably the best way to proceed is to root your phone then install a custom ROM. A custom ROM is a ROM that is already debloated and optimized to run on your phone. Custom ROMs vary from basically 99.9% stock (just debloated) e.g. XtreStoLite. To ROMs that add a lot more customizations e.g. Phoenix or Alliance.

As to rooting, Towel root is the method most people prefer and it's basically just a click or two. Look for the prominent Towel root thread or you'll find links to it on most custom ROM threads. Note that Towel root only works on pre June 6th firmware builds. So if you have a very recent firmware you'd need to first write an older build of 4.4.2 firmware to your phone. Then root with Towelroot and flash a custom ROM.

To be honest here as i had the Nexus 5, its fair to say that the Nexus 5 with for instance a custom kernel like Franco kernel is faster and smoother then the S5 will ever be. Yes the S5 can be debloated and is off course costumisable and is a good phone, the Nexus devices are the true tech/geek/nerd phones ;)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been looking at the Phoenix ROM. It looks promising. I will agree with Gee though, Nexus being the "most" tech/geek/nerd around device. Hmm. Maybe I'll just go get a 32GB Nexus 5. Just really want to leave team iPhone.

Again, thanks for the info guys.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been looking at the Phoenix ROM. It looks promising. I will agree with Gee though, Nexus being the "most" tech/geek/nerd around device. Hmm. Maybe I'll just go get a 32GB Nexus 5. Just really want to leave team iPhone.

Again, thanks for the info guys.

Better wait for the Nexus 6 or X mate, its just around the corner ;) I know i will.