The IMEI changed after update ROM!

Search This thread

kylinsure

Oct 24, 2008
What is the reason?
my htc touch pro IMEI changed after update ROM(official ROM"like as: RUU_Raphael_HTC_ITA_5.05.408.1_R2_Radio_Signed_Raphael_52.58.25.30_1.11.25.01_Ship.exe")

and then my IMEI changed 17 bits--REMOVED--

when i install any software,the system to prompt the follow information:
"the program is from an unknown publisher.you should install it only if you trust its publisher.do you want to continue?"

I think this is just occasional,so i update ROM again and again.
but the IMEI is "--REMOVED--" all the same!

Last edited by a moderator:

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
You probably don't want to post you imei online (maybe that's a fake #; if that's the case, you should say so).

votum

Jul 31, 2008
Your IMEI didnt change =/

Maybe for some reason the soft way to see your IMEI is corrupted, but look under your battery, that IMEI is still the same, and that's what matters because if you warranty your phone for some reason IMEI is how they track it. IMEI is basically a serial number for the provider.

euphoria47

Oct 8, 2008
Ottawa
^ not true. It is possible to change your IMEI number with certain software. When a call is made the IMEI # is recorded in the provider's billing software. With Rogers for example, this is the case, albeit few reps know how to find this and fewer still care what your IMEI is or isn't.

Not saying whether the OP's IMEI did/didn't change, but the sticker under the battery only shows the IMEI when the phone shipped.

Just like a sticker on the back of a computer may say "windows xp" while its OS is actually "vista" ;)

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
When you upgrade to a new version (Core) it will add one number to your IMEI only in form. It is still electronically recognized as the same IMEI, so don't worry. what you will find is that the number is the same, but has now an additional digit or 2 in it. This is just like a revision number & will not affect your services at all. This happened when we old Tilt users went from 6.0 to 6.1 & will likely happen again going 6.1 to 6.5 official.

Last edited:

Holland313

Feb 28, 2009
Imei changed

Hi,

i work for a mobile provider an I changed yesterday my ROM and today I got an Security check on my work and my IMEI changed also, and that was a little problem. Because they have to check my IMEI number, to look that I have the right mobile with me. The problem is, that Security had only the last 4 numbers, but I found out the new added two digit numbers

Cheers

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
Hmmm...That's what I said above. It is the ROM/Revision number & it gets added to the IMEI. For anything truly querying the IMEI, it is fine. But it seems your setup is querrying the Registry version of the IMEI.

Anytime you upgrade roms, Usually OEM roms, this happens. It started with the first touch & the Kaiser.

?Glitch

Jun 5, 2006
What is the reason?
my htc touch pro IMEI changed after update ROM(official ROM"like as: RUU_Raphael_HTC_ITA_5.05.408.1_R2_Radio_Signed_Raphael_52.58.25.30_1.11.25.01_Ship.exe")

and then my IMEI changed 17 bits--REMOVED--

when i install any software,the system to prompt the follow information:
"the program is from an unknown publisher.you should install it only if you trust its publisher.do you want to continue?"

I think this is just occasional,so i update ROM again and again.
but the IMEI is "--REMOVED--" all the same!

If you ran a ROM that had been XIP'd for any reason (such as to make some software that looks to see the OS version to run), this will modify how windows see's the IMEI, however the radio will read it for what it actually is.

|Jason8|

Aug 25, 2008
Waldo
This is interesting... when I warranty return my phones to ATT, they ask me to do the *#06# and have me read off the IMEI... Could they tell if I've changed roms via the numbers I read off?

Could it possibly be a secret way to bust us all? :eek:

?Glitch

Jun 5, 2006
This is interesting... when I warranty return my phones to ATT, they ask me to do the *#06# and have me read off the IMEI... Could they tell if I've changed roms via the numbers I read off?

Could it possibly be a secret way to bust us all? :eek:

No, no suits, black helicopters and vans unless you start cloning, there are your previous IMEI's on ATT system, they want to validate the problem handset as you have the ability to remove your sim and call them from a working handset, your account is bound to the sim, then there is always the accounts with multiple active sims, they just need the right one for the RMA.

?Glitch