Screencasting and rooting problem

Search This thread

nerys71

May 13, 2008
I got the netgear screencasting gizmo. and it don't work.

I tried a bunch of devices they all connect but then disconnect. I determined its likely that I am rooted (not optional so unrooting is never going to be an option)

I determined this because the only 2 devices that will work (unrooted s3's) are unrooted. every rooted device fails.

this is BS and should be illegal for them to do this. SO how do I get around it?

either software or hardware solution to getting around this immoral and in my opinion illegal restriction.?

is there a device out their without this crippling built into it? maybe hacked firmware for one of them or something?

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
I got the netgear screencasting gizmo. and it don't work.

I tried a bunch of devices they all connect but then disconnect. I determined its likely that I am rooted (not optional so unrooting is never going to be an option)

I determined this because the only 2 devices that will work (unrooted s3's) are unrooted. every rooted device fails.

this is BS and should be illegal for them to do this. SO how do I get around it?

either software or hardware solution to getting around this immoral and in my opinion illegal restriction.?

is there a device out their without this crippling built into it? maybe hacked firmware for one of them or something?

See link below; I kind of dig that you're frustrated, but there are solutions out there, most of them provided by the very devs that enabled you to root your device in the first place...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45018426

Getting AllShare Cast working on modified devices

Another link from xda confirming your experience, from March 2013,

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2179926

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited:

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
I've seen someone use the Netgear Push2Tv with a Nexus 7. Do you know if it would work with CM11?

nerys71

May 13, 2008
No solution for note 3 yet :(

The push2tv is what I have and it works only on unrooted devices. My note 2 3 and rooted s3's all do the same thing. Connect but no mirror then it disconnects

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay

The push2tv is what I have and it works only on unrooted devices. My note 2 3 and rooted s3's all do the same thing. Connect but no mirror then it disconnects

You should be able to use the Xposed patch library file in the link on your S3 ( libwfd_engine.so).

Don't know which file it is for the Note 3.

slaakker

Apr 13, 2010
I have the same problem and have been looking for an answer. I have seen some fixes for the S3 and Note 2 but not the note 3. I have a Tronsmart 1000 and I have been trying to get the mirroring to work. The EZ Cast program works but I need the mirroring to work. If you find any more information please post it here and I will do the same.

Cheers!

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
I have the same problem and have been looking for an answer. I have seen some fixes for the S3 and Note 2 but not the note 3. I have a Tronsmart 1000 and I have been trying to get the mirroring to work. The EZ Cast program works but I need the mirroring to work. If you find any more information please post it here and I will do the same.

Cheers!

The answer for your S3 is just a few posts above you. It's a patched library file using an Xposed module.

slaakker

Apr 13, 2010
Not true. The file to be patched does not exist in our version of the note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: micmars

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay

I limited my answer from the jump to the Note 3. After reading my comments, I may have been unclear on that metric. However, if you read the posts I've made in this thread, they've all stated overtly that the Xposed app to which I linked will work for the S3, and not for the Note 3.

Last edited:

nerys71

May 13, 2008
this is crap that they do this. what is the logic or reasoning for doing this and why is it legal?

slaakker

Apr 13, 2010
Thank you micmars. I will go back and see if I can figure it out. Your help is appreciated.

slaakker

Apr 13, 2010
I have gone through both threads and I do not see any solutions for the note 3. The patch is for the note 2. I have gone through all of xposed and nothing there either. I give up for now.

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
I have gone through both threads and I do not see any solutions for the note 3. The patch is for the note 2. I have gone through all of xposed and nothing there either. I give up for now.

Yup. I was specifically saying only that a solution existed for your S3 and perhaps others here whom may have a Note 2.

But...that library file must have its counterpart for our phone under a different name, or that library file resides elsewhere from system, library, as those files are everywhere, not only in system (look at Google Now for the quick search box, for just one example, it has two in /data).

cmdauria

Oct 18, 2008
Tampa

I know with the official Samsung Allshare cast module you have to be on a stock kernel. I would say to try that. I am on Jellybomb 3.2 and screen mirroring works perfectly.

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
I know with the official Samsung Allshare cast module you have to be on a stock kernel. I would say to try that. I am on Jellybomb 3.2 and screen mirroring works perfectly.

I was wondering that. I know the toggle is there, but I don't use the feature. Perhaps Josh's awesome mash-up could provide the fix.

mrmellies

Apr 7, 2012
Nashville
Rooting is not the problem flashing a custom kernel is. I use showbox.netflix and nba league pass Mobile daily on my rooted note 3 using the all share cast dongle. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk 2

nerys71

May 13, 2008
I am NOT running custom kernels only rooted

I can cast such as to Chrome cast fine its screen mirroring I can't though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you micmars. I will go back and see if I can figure it out. Your help is appreciated.