Having problems trying to root my 2012 Kindle Fire HD ... please help.

Search This thread

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
I won a mint Kindle Fire HD off eBay for cheap because it gives an error when trying to register it with an Amazon account. I knew I could root it and put a custom ROM on it so that is why I bought it. I have rooted and put custom ROMs on about nine original Kindle Fires but I am having problems with this.

I am following the guide [ROOT][HOW TO] Root the Kindle Fire HD and 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version and I am stuck at the point of ROOT STEP 12 where I am to option 15 to root the Kindle. The actual line of Option 15 reads - Reboot The Kindle In To Fastmode <Preferred Mode> and I get this error:

2csjvar.jpg

I have tried 16 also to no effect. What am I missing here? The drivers installed properly and it sees the Kindle Fire HD when I plug it in. It said the ADB driver installed, is there a way to verify it?

Should I even be using this guide or is there a better one?

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
Ok I gave up on what they guide said and chose option 20 to Root the kindle fire. It does reboot my kindle twice when it says it is going to but everything on screen is showing it isn't doing what it is supposed to, can't find stuff. Here is a pic.

2u4hcw2.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
what os version is it running?

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Thank you for the response. The System Version is 7.4.9. I have followed both the guides on this forum, using a Windows 7 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop. The kindle fire drivers and ADB drivers install fine, I can browse the SD card of the kindle fire HD from my pc but when I attempt to run the batch files on both computers it says it is unable to find, well, everything. Check out the screen shots. Would I have better luck using the Windows 8 laptop?

wire55

Feb 25, 2013
7.4.9 shrunk the /system and other areas in the root of the device so you would not be able to root it and install gapps.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
7.4.9 shrunk the /system and other areas in the root of the device so you would not be able to root it and install gapps.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wait, got this yesterday off eBay and it was at 7.4.8. I attempted all night to root it using these guides to no avail. I wake up this morning and for some reason it is 7.4.9 even though it isn't registered (I bought it from an auction that says you can't register it because I planned on putting a custom ROM on it anyway). Can I downgrade it? What can I do?

wire55

Feb 25, 2013
Wait, got this yesterday off eBay and it was at 7.4.8. I attempted all night to root it using these guides to no avail. I wake up this morning and for some reason it is 7.4.9 even though it isn't registered (I bought it from an auction that says you can't register it because I planned on putting a custom ROM on it anyway). Can I downgrade it? What can I do?

Downgrading wont increase the size of /system or other directories in the root of the system.

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
It's all in the first post of that thread. I just updated the images for his tool.

Thanks Red_81, I appreciate all the help I can get. Ok question for you, it tells me to choose the download I want but I have no idea what one to choose since I am at 7.4.9. Which one of these should I use:

Downloads:
KFHD_SRT_v1.3.5- 7.3.0 (seperate option for restoring factory recovery)
KFHD_SRT_v1.3.0- 7.2.3 (separate option for restoring factory recovery)
KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3- 7.2.3
KFHD_SRT_v1.2- 7.2.1
KFHD_SRT_v1.0- 7.1.5

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
Thanks Red_81, I appreciate all the help I can get. Ok question for you, it tells me to choose the download I want but I have no idea what one to choose since I am at 7.4.9. Which one of these should I use:

Downloads:
KFHD_SRT_v1.3.5- 7.3.0 (seperate option for restoring factory recovery)
KFHD_SRT_v1.3.0- 7.2.3 (separate option for restoring factory recovery)
KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3- 7.2.3
KFHD_SRT_v1.2- 7.2.1
KFHD_SRT_v1.0- 7.1.5

Pick any one of them. Replace the images in that one with the ones from my google drive link. Run the bat file.

I'll see about mirroring the other files when I get a chance, but I'm at work and may not have the ability until later tonight.

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
Pick any one of them. Replace the images in that one with the ones from my google drive link. Run the bat file.

I'll see about mirroring the other files when I get a chance, but I'm at work and may not have the ability until later tonight.

Not to sound stupid but I don't need it rooted before running this right, it just has to be in fastboot mode which the cable automatically does correct?

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
Not to sound stupid but I don't need it rooted before running this right, it just has to be in fastboot mode which the cable automatically does correct?

And another question, I see that the files in the new 9.4.7 say "stock", does that mean it is just the standard Fire OS or is it modified with the Play Store? Reason I ask is my Kindle Fire HD can't be registered so I wanted to put a custom ROM on it so I can access the Play Store.