For all newbies to cyanogenmod I have found this
wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_Xperia_Ray:_Full_Update_Guide

Reactions: rhumbus

Knight47

Mar 29, 2012
sites.google.com
im using firmwater 62 and baseband 64

how to reinstall firmware? my ray not rooted yet

and ICS already available for ray? im not update it yet, but is it stable already?
cause i read from another forum, he upgraded to ICS but when thetering wifi, still not stable
suddenlly wifi turn off

Download .42 firmware ftf file and flashtool(Google it) place the downloaded file in firmware folder in flashtool.Put your ray in flash mode(volume up+connect your phone to PC via USB ) and flash it using flash tool. .42 can be rooted by zerg-rush method.
Yes, ics is available but I'm in jj's hybrid rom. I don't have any problem with this rom..

Sent from my ST18i

Last edited:
Reactions: annax

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
hong kong finally gets ICS OTA version 4.1.A.0.562.

Last edited:

mydegeneration

Apr 16, 2012
Official update (April 23rd)

Has anyone tried the official ICS update that came out today (April, 23) through the pc companion? I'm kind of curious to see if it's different than the nordic version from April, 13 but don't want to try it yet since it might be blocked from rooting and all that good stuff.

Last edited:

dewilaz

Apr 17, 2012
Hi guys.

I have Xperia Ray. I have rooted it with zergRush method.
I would like to instal custom [Rom][23/04]KA16 Ice Cream.

Is it possible on my phone? What else I should do to be able to instal custom Rom?
Thanks

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
Has anyone tried the official ICS update that came out today (April, 23) through the pc companion? I'm kind of curious to see if it's different than the nordic version from April, 13 but don't want to try it yet since it might be blocked from rooting and all that good stuff.
i have tried it and to be honest no differences so far.. Maybe a little bit smoother but that's just me i guess..

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
i've tried to install it, it won't install, it says no update available in the middle of the process.

updated now, there was something wrong with sonys server.

seem like a few of sony's sh*t wont disable, sony has blocked out some features.

Last edited:

HatebreeD93

Mar 14, 2011
am I the only one?

am I the only one who tottaly bricked Xperia Ray?
I had .42 firmware with Xperia S apps, unlocked bootloader but no root... I was on WiFi and it said to me that there is update to .62 firmware and I started update proccess... It downloaded firmware... Phone restarted and bye bye my dear Ray... no more signs from it... Tried with flash tool, tried with SEUS but nothing... So I send it to service and they fixed it... They say that they puted some script in and that's it... But I can't update 'couse it can crash again... ICS is almost out, and i would like to have it... any suggestions? any help? sorry on my bad english...

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
am I the only one who tottaly bricked Xperia Ray?
I had .42 firmware with Xperia S apps, unlocked bootloader but no root... I was on WiFi and it said to me that there is update to .62 firmware and I started update proccess... It downloaded firmware... Phone restarted and bye bye my dear Ray... no more signs from it... Tried with flash tool, tried with SEUS but nothing... So I send it to service and they fixed it... They say that they puted some script in and that's it... But I can't update 'couse it can crash again... ICS is almost out, and i would like to have it... any suggestions? any help? sorry on my bad english...

read through the thread, all you need to know is here.

Last edited:

mmrx

Mar 30, 2012
Delhi
ICS Root

Hi im planning to upgrade my ray to official ICS through pc companion, and wants my phone rooted without unlocking bootloader, is it possible or I should choose any other way.....please assist.....thanks....:confused:

trewelu

Aug 14, 2010
Hi im planning to upgrade my ray to official ICS through pc companion, and wants my phone rooted without unlocking bootloader, is it possible or I should choose any other way.....please assist.....thanks....:confused:

I have a locked bootloader and have rooted nordic ics. Search the forum and you'll found one thread about how to root nordic ics with locked bootloader

windsor

Sep 9, 2008
i found several thread about 562 nordic, does anyone knows which link is final 562 (not leaked one)

trewelu

Aug 14, 2010
i found several thread about 562 nordic, does anyone knows which link is final 562 (not leaked one)

The one with this title by jozinek
"Official ICS for XPERIA Ray working ftf 4.1.A.0.562 (1252-5332) "

But there is newer one for belgium region which some people claim is faster. I haven't try the belgium one so i don't really know the performance

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
The one with this title by jozinek
"Official ICS for XPERIA Ray working ftf 4.1.A.0.562 (1252-5332) "

But there is newer one for belgium region which some people claim is faster. I haven't try the belgium one so i don't really know the performance
The best one is the one that really matches your SI code i guess. So better to use PCC to flash the newest one and then apply the mod from there.

trewelu

Aug 14, 2010
The best one is the one that really matches your SI code i guess. So better to use PCC to flash the newest one and then apply the mod from there.

Just checked the list and sadly it is still not there yet (AU). Let's say it is released for my region, is there a way to flash it without losing data? Apps can be backed using titanium backup, but i don't want to re set the notification sound, and anything related to system setting.

Is the belgium performance noticeable compared to nordic one? And will it be alright to flash st18i ftf for st18a one? So far doesn' really notice the different :rolleyes:

windsor

Sep 9, 2008

yep, its tru, i ever tried it when using hongkong gb ver. vs indo ver.

but i can not update it via pc companion, i have unlocked my bootloader, so i guess i need to find some one who kindly enough to convert their updated rom into ftf... :)

edit: i think the one im using right now is the final version, i tried two (leaked and final) of hansip 10mod, and the final version from hansip is working nicely... :D

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Just checked the list and sadly it is still not there yet (AU). Let's say it is released for my region, is there a way to flash it without losing data? Apps can be backed using titanium backup, but i don't want to re set the notification sound, and anything related to system setting.

Is the belgium performance noticeable compared to nordic one? And will it be alright to flash st18i ftf for st18a one? So far doesn' really notice the different :rolleyes:

AFAIK, st18i is GSM version, and st18a is an CDMA,.. CMIIW

apps and settings can be restored down from your previously back up.. i've tried it from icsbeta to N562 Finall

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
yep, its tru, i ever tried it when using hongkong gb ver. vs indo ver.

but i can not update it via pc companion, i have unlocked my bootloader, so i guess i need to find some one who kindly enough to convert their updated rom into ftf... :)

edit: i think the one im using right now is the final version, i tried two (leaked and final) of hansip 10mod, and the final version from hansip is working nicely... :D

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

AFAIK, st18i is GSM version, and st18a is an CDMA,.. CMIIW

apps and settings can be restored down from your previously back up.. i've tried it from icsbeta to N562 Finall
Well, try ROM from mastah willihAngga then.. ;) it's the closest one (Indonesian version)

Reactions: windsor

benjy8769

Apr 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Should I re-update my ICS?

I recently flashed my Ray with a Nordic ICS firmware. Now that my country has an ICS update, should I repair my Ray using Sony PCC? I wondering if there is any difference between the ICS. :confused:

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I recently flashed my Ray with a Nordic ICS firmware. Now that my country has an ICS update, should I repair my Ray using Sony PCC? I wondering if there is any difference between the ICS. :confused:

I can't tell if there is any differences, but if you dont try you'll be thinking about it non stop:D, you might as well give it a try, before you do it, make sure you have a backup, and did you unlock the the BL using the official way, if so don't repair it, just stick with what you have.

Reactions: benjy8769
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In an effort to keep the thread clean with developments and ROM's due to the fact we dont have a general section either this thread has been opened for all the support and help questions that people ask.

Please use this thread for all GENERAL SUPPORT questions regarding the RAY, this will keep our thread clean and easy for everyone to find ROM's and THEME's

Once you have asked please await someone to help and please thank them after by hitting thanks

We all need to keep our thread clean

Now including ROM LIST

Chiefy's Miui

Miui by iriijo

aire 4pda

CM7.2.0 FXP

Miui by Seatone

MiuiV4 iriijo

CM9 FXP

ICS by szl.kiev

RayOnium

Kernels and themes to be added

(if your rom is not listed here please pm me and I will add it)
    are there any complete guide how to flash a rom? im new to android and i dont know anything about baseband and kernel and how to flash them.

Installing a rom is one of those things that seems daunting at first but is actually rather easy. The main barrier for me was understanding how to use and getting comfortable with the utilities which enable you to install a custom rom. These are flashtools, CWM (Clockwork mod) and to a lesser extent a program like titanium back up.

Installing a rom is much easier than rooting your phone, so if you already have root access (a process which probably took me a couple of hours first time) installing a rom is remarkably easy – once you’ve downloaded the rom it only takes 4 or 5 button presses, literally less than 30 seconds, to start the installation process.

The issue with a complete guide is that there are so many variables for example are you on Ginger Bread or Ice Cream Sandwich? Which build number is on your phone? Is your bootloader unlocked?

The most basic guide is as follows – I am assuming you have root access, the latest version of Ice Cream Sandwich on your phone and a locked bootloader.

DOWNLOAD and INSTALL

Xperia CWM Auto-Installer
    Titanium backup, upgrade to pro it's cheap and worth the cash.

DOWNLOAD the rom you want to install put it on your SD card, if you used your phone to download, it will be in the downloads folder on your SD card. The ROM you download MUST be compatible with the latest build of Ice Cream Sandwich.

USE the CWM auto installer to install CWM on your phone - pretty straight forward once you've opened the app.
    Use titanium backup to backup all your apps - not immediately obvious how to do this but not complicated. Not a disaster if you don't want to do this, you can just download them again from Play.

POWER off and then power on the phone.
    Just as the sony ericsson logo appears start rubbing your finger across the screen, this will take you into clockwork recovery mode.

NAVIGATING in CWM
    The VOLUME control scrolls up/down, the HOME button selects and the BACK key takes you back.
    Navigate to backup and restore/backup/yes and backup your system - this will take around 10 minutes.
    What you have just done is create a total backup of your system and because CWM can be accessed by your phone BEFORE a ROM loads it means that if your new installation goes wrong (doesn't ever load or causes bootloops) you can go back into recovery, select your backup and restore it. Once restored, your phone will work exactly how it used to.

CONTINUE to use CWM and navigate to factory reset.
    As CWM tells you this deletes all user info from the phone. If you rebooted now it would be just like the day you got your phone - you'd have to go through all the set up again (google account, time and country settings, no apps etc.).
    Do the reset.

USE CWM to navigate to - install zip from sd card/choose zip from sd card/downloads/(the rom you downloaded)
    If you didn't put the ROM in the downloads folder you just need to navigate to find it - if there are lots of folders on your SD card press up rather than scrolling down because the folder list wraps around.

INSTALL the chosen ROM - doesn't take long - and use CWM to re-boot.

The first re-boot after you've installed a new rom can take a while, no more than 10 minutes though.
    SUCCESS - new ROM!

DOWNLOAD titanium back up from Play, install it and use it to restore your old apps. But do remember that many ROMs come with better stock apps (the keyboard/music/browser etc) so it's not necessary to restore all of your old apps.

Individual roms will have their own instructions but rarely much more complicated than the above.

Advanced stuff

Custom kernels - these can only be installed if you have unlocked your bootloader. Simply put your bootloader will have been locked by Sony meaning that it can only have official kernels installed on it. If you unlock your bootloader you can install anything here. Many roms require custom kernels to work.
    Custom kernels also allow you to overclock your device's CPU
    Basebands dictate how the phone's antenna work and are installed with a kernel - you really don't need to worry about these unless the rom your working with says otherwise.

Advice - assuming you've got the latest version of ICS and a rooted phone install something like JJ's hybrid rom, it's stable and different enough to give you an idea of what's possible. It's popularity here (over 250 pages) shows it's a good one.
    what about wipe dalvik cache? What will it do?

AFAIK, the dalvik cache stores your application dex files. The dex file is a dalvik executable file and is filled with dalvik bytecode. It is very similar to java in that regard. Most of the stock apk's located in your phone's rom have odex files which are optimized dex files not needed to be stored in the cache.

Clearing it shouldn't be a problem, you may notice a slight startup lag the next time you open an application after wiping the cache as it repopulates the dex files.

For any app that's not accompanied by an odex, an optimized extracted copy of it's bytecode is stored in dalvik-cache. I've yet to see if uninstalling an app also erases it's respective dalvik-cache or not, checking for that hadn't crossed my mind, but I don't see why it shouldn't. The real reason you're supposed to wipe your dalvik-cache is because sometimes between builds you get two versions of an app that have the same namespace. The VM will try to use the already stored cached bytecode, but there's a chance that it might be incompatible and it will cause a force-close, in that case, it's best to let the vm build new optimized bytecode for the app, but, it's going to take a while to re-build the dalvik-cache if you erase it all (the more apps with a .odex you have, the less time it takes).

Sent from my ST18i using XDA
    I've asked our admin about new q&a section and he created one :good: Hence my decision to close this thread. All questions should be posted there.
    Hello guysss!!!!!^^

I need help, I'm currently in stock ROM .58 (I'm rooted and unlock)

and I want to update my current ROM to .62( with flashtool)

Is this safe???( I mean, the update that I want to do, because I found that some people that intend to do this end up with breaking their phone)

And is that right that SEUS can revive even the hardest brick( because flashing,etc.)

Thx a lot guysss!!!!!

I'm a newbieee:fingers-crossed:
    It's safe mate

Can i re-enable the lights on my 'back' and 'menu' buttons?
    my sig has the phone details

Thank you!
    No you cant coz there is no backlight for back and menu buttons

hey evry1
    my question is that im currently on stock ics 4.1.B.0.431 and ive rooted and have cwm installed and alot of mods installed..NOW there is an update available version 4.1.B.0.587 ..so if ill update i will loose my root and all mods like camer and walkman?? and if yes then how can i get root access again !!! thanks in advance ...waiting anxiously for replyzzz :confused::confused:

You'll loose root access and all your mods