How I cook a ROM

Search This thread

Tribulattifather

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2009
╠▒╣New╬York╠▒╣
My Guide to cooking requested by a few of my ROM users.

- IMPORTANT -

Make sure you have Visual C++ 2008 and M$ .Net Framework and it's Service Pack.

- NOTE TO COOK -

These Sys and Xip files are for 96 dpi devices only or commonly known as QVGA. So Please if you want to cook for your device using my guide, please make sure your device is as such.

- THE PREP _ Gathering Your Ingredients-

You can download my kitchen.
(Extract my kitchen to the C:\ directory (the root of your harddrive))

-OR-

Download the kitchen files below and create your own kitchen.

Create a directory C:\kitchens\
(Go into the C: drive and right click in an open area. Hover over 'New' and the select 'New Folder' and name it kitchens.)

Then download these kitchen files:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5
Link 6
Link 7

(These links were brought to you by JustKitchen.info)

These links are archived with 7-zip.

When you have all these files downloaded, and you have 7-zip installed, Select all of the files you've downloaded. Then right click on one of the highlighted files and hover over 7zip in your dropdown menu and then click on 'Extract Here.'
ss0.jpg

This will create a directory that looks similar to this:
ss1-1.jpg

As you also see in that picture (The 'Working_Folder' archive) you'll need my Sys & Xip files. And as you know me, I will always try to keep this folder updated so that when a new build comes out you guys can cook with it too, Which you guys can find HERE or any of my ROM threads. Right now I have all the newest builds. So you guys are set ;)

_If you downloaded my kitchen instead, then it will have come with build 23545 & build 23563 only (Which are Windows Mobile 6.5.5 - the latest Windows Mobile Builds)._

After you download my Working_Folder.7z then just extract the files as shown (Just right click on the file and hover over 7zip and you can click on 'Extract Here.'

ss4.jpg

And yes, lol, my computer is names Muff - PC because me and my wife's pet names are Muffin, lol.

Now, click 'Yes' when it prompts you asking if you want to Merge the folders and then also click 'Yes' to Overwrite the files there if necessary.

Once you have the kitchen setup the way you want it, (you'll also notice the PagePool Changer I have in there) then go up one level in the folder to where you see Working_Folder and send a shortcut to the desktop as you see below:

ss5.jpg

Here is where you'll need to make changes to your files (Because my files have my background image and watermarks and all of my GUI changes..etc..).
Navigate to C:\kitchens\SuperJustKitchen\Working_Folder\SYS\23563\dpi_96\COMMON\Base_DPI_96

ss6.jpg

ss7.jpg

You can download this Base_DPI_96 folder here if you want the original files..

Just drag and drop over the Base_DPI_96 folder in the C:\kitchens\SuperJustKitchen\Working_Folder\SYS\23563\dpi_96\COMMON directory.

After you're all set in making your GUI changes then navigate to
C:\kitchens\SuperJustKitchen1\Working_Folder\EXT\SHARED\THEMES_QVGA

ss8.jpg

This is where you are going to change your background images. The most important part about making these images is the fact you need to keep them perfectly proportioned to your device. If you have a qvga, like my Wing/Herald, then its going to be 240 x 320 (portrait) and 320 x 240 (landscape).

ss9.jpg

When you're done making your images make sure to rename them respectively.

Now navigate to C:\kitchens\SuperJustKitchen1\Working_Folder\EXT\SHARED\Control Panel\HTCAnimation_1_3_5_0\files
ss21.jpg

This is where you'll change the splash screens. And Please do ^>^ because we each should have our own unique style of cooking, lol.
Just find an animated .gif image - Also 320 (tall) x 240 (width) - and just rename it Animation2.gif

Then Find a still image of whatever you'd like and rename it welcomehead.96.png
Just take mine out and dispose of them..

- End of Prep -

Part two below.

Last edited:

Tribulattifather

Apr 23, 2009
╠▒╣New╬York╠▒╣

- PART TWO _ More Prep -

Okay. First thing is navigate to your Working_Folder, which should be on your desktop continuing from the last post. Open the ErviusKitchen.exe

sss1.jpg

Let it load, then click on the drop down menu in the picture and land it on Herald. It will go crazy for a second, but, that is normal.

sss2.jpg

Next, click on the dropdown menu for the XIP and SYS and land them on the build you're using. I am using, the included, 28223 build.

sss3.jpg
sss4.jpg

Next, you're going to add your ROM version number. In the picture is how I normally label mine.

sss5.jpg

Should look like this:

sss6.jpg

Using LZX Compression is useful when you notice your ROM is too big. The Max size a ROM can be is about 80MB or so. If you plan on not flashing by SDCard then the minimum size of the ROM should be 50.1MB. When you are ready to cook, you'll see the size in bytes. So, in bytes, 50.1MB is 52,567,531

- - -

Next, click on Show Editor.

sss7.jpg

This will bring up all the .rgu files that are located in the kitchen. Scroll down to where you see the .rgu file located in the Shell.

sss8.jpg

Double click on it and it will open up the editor. Locate line 419. This is where you can 'brand' your ROM. All my ROMs I create usually have the branding '- Trib.' Put anything you want after the '- ' (and you also have to leave space right after the '- '). Then make sure to save. Then close out of the editor. Then go back to the main kitchen window.

sss9_0.jpg

- - -

Next, click on Extra Buttons.

sss9_1.jpg

This will bring up a menu with large buttons. Click on the CABtoEXT button.

sss9_2.jpg

That will bring up a command prompt window as shown:

sss9_3.jpg

Minimize all the other windows. Then hit the Enter key. This will open up a large window.

Then navigate to any of the cab files that you might want that are not listed in the kitchen. Select and Right-Click on the cab files that you want then click on Copy.

sss9_4.jpg

Then Right-Click and Paste the cab files into the window that popped up.

sss9_5.jpg

When all the cab files have been placed go back to the other command prompt window and then press Enter where you see Press any key to continue . . .(and make sure to only put up to four at a time.. for some reason it doesn't work right).

sss9_6.jpg

A prompt will follow asking if it will be used for 96dpi devices. Make sure you select the respective digit for 96dpi then hit enter. Another message will prompt you to select what devices can use the programs. Make sure to select All devices.

Your cabs you import into the kitchen will be located in the 0096 Category in the list

- - -

Now head back to the kitchen's main window. Next we are going to Save the ROM so far. Make sure you save with a version number (sometimes if I save before I put a version number I'll forget to put one all together. Basically a ROM won't flash without one.

sss14.jpg

Now Close out of the kitchen all together then re-open it. Reason being is because the cab files you've just installed won't show up until you do. Then Load your previously saved ROM.

sss9_7.jpg

Now it's time to make your selections of what is going to go into your ROM. Double click on each file/module to toggle the enabling/disabling of packages.

These are my selections:

sss10.jpg

sss11.jpg

sss12.jpg

sss13.jpg

Once you've made your selections make sure to save once more.

sss14.jpg

- End of Part Two_ More Prep-

Cheers,
Trib

Last edited:

Tribulattifather

Apr 23, 2009
╠▒╣New╬York╠▒╣
- PART THREE _ Cooking -

Now you are ready to cook. Press the Create ROM button.​

sss15.jpg

You will see more craziness:

sss16.jpg

This process can take up to an hour depending on how many cores your computer has - it's a logical based kitchen ^>^

Once the process is complete, navigate to C:\kitchens\SuperJustKitchen\Working_Folder\RELEASE_HERALD and click on the ROM Update Utility. Or you can use the PagePool Changer to change the pagepool to something other than the default, which is 6MB. Changing it to 3MB will give you about 5MB more Ram. But it also has a trade-off of slowing your ROM down a bit.

sss17.jpg

Put your device into the bootloader by soft-reseting it (by pressing in, with your stylus, the little hole on the left side of your device) and also holding down the camera button. You will then be in a, what we call a tri-colored, screen.

Then check off the check box and press next. Do this again. Then it will pause. Then the utility will pop up again and click on next twice and then UPDATE.

Once you flash the ROM to your device, upload it with RGhost.Net

sss18.jpg

Then post the link in this thread. I would like nothing more than to see the fruits of yours and my own labour.

Cheers,
Trib.

-End Part Three _ Cooking -

Last edited:

ie5x

Nov 15, 2007
An excellent and to the point start!

Let me be the first to congratulate you! This tutorial is going to help people like me tremendously!

Tribulattifather

Apr 23, 2009
╠▒╣New╬York╠▒╣
Hm. i just realized I forgot to mention that these Sys and Xip files are for 96 dpi devices only or commonly known as QVGA. So Please if you want to cook for your device using my guide, please make sure your device is as such.

Cellomancer

Feb 2, 2010
Long time viewer, first time poster.

I am also looking very forward to this tutorial. I've been messing around in the "kitchen", just getting the feel of it.

Looking forward to a better understanding.

Thanx for all the hard work.

Cellomancer

Feb 2, 2010
WOW! Nice tutorial!!

If I mess it up now, it could only be due to my own un-geekness. :p

Just one question: Would it be too much trouble to outline just the files needed to create a "bare-bones" rom; i.e. a rom that will work (duh), but have as little "fluff" as possible?

Excellent work!! Donation is on the way! ;)

Cellomancer

Feb 2, 2010
Thank you for your kindness.

And that is exactly what I did - If you select the selections i've made you'll come out with a barebones system with all the necessary files.

Ah, OK, excellent.

Please pardon my noobness. :)

I'm at work right now. I'll hit that PayPal button when I get home (I don't want to be typing logins/passwords on this PC, for obvious reasons).

It can't be said often enough: Thank you for your work.

Tribulattifather

Apr 23, 2009
╠▒╣New╬York╠▒╣
Don't surrender, lol. I'm uploading the files you'll need right now.
I'll post back here when its uploaded.

UPDATE: Added the correct files to the SYS folder; you will now be able to 'brand' your ROM now.

Last edited:

illconcepts

Oct 22, 2008
Phoenix
Thank you for your kindness.

And that is exactly what I did - If you select the selections i've made you'll come out with a barebones system with all the necessary files.

i have to disagree with you there. You have included many unneeded things for the average user.

To name a few unneeded:

ADC, Adobeflash/codecs, DRM, Entertanment, ipsecvpn, SQLCEMobile, Transcriber, Voicecommand, HTC animation, SIM_Tkit, Net CF.

Just my 2 cents :)

Granted your roms are more geared towards everyone. Many know mine were not

Tribulattifather

Apr 23, 2009
╠▒╣New╬York╠▒╣
Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I only meant that this was a barebones ROM that I would make. I guess one could construe that I meant barebones for an average user. My apologies :1

But best thing one can do is cook , cook , cook and cook some more until you get the ROM you want, lol.

numaverick

Aug 14, 2009
staind.mforos.com
thanks, but if I yield to truth, and you can not download the files because they are heavy and my internet is 256 and download speed is + / - 30 kbs.

thanks... thanks... and thanks... :)

Tribulattifather

Apr 23, 2009
╠▒╣New╬York╠▒╣
Ah, OK, excellent.

Please pardon my noobness. :)

I'm at work right now. I'll hit that PayPal button when I get home (I don't want to be typing logins/passwords on this PC, for obvious reasons).

It can't be said often enough: Thank you for your work.

Thank you so much Cell for your kindness. I will prioritize your needs if you do need anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay. Also install Visual C++ 2005 and then try cooking.

Also, if you get this error again, take a screenshot with the error message to the left.. I'll be able to see what is happening in the background.