[MOD] NFC on AT&T Stock ROM (CWM)

Search This thread

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
The tag.nfc file is the basic control apk for the hardware. You can turn reading on and off all you want with just the xml file, but tag.apk gives it some basic transmit ability. As for battery, I have noticed 0 increase in battery use with mine on 24/7.

e30andrew

Jun 6, 2011
Davenport
^word.

I'e had mine on for a few days and i haven't noticed any significant decrease in battery.

Last edited:

kimocal

Jul 28, 2006
Pilot Hill, CA
I wonder how much battery NFC uses if it's left on all of the time. I keep pondering playing with tags, but considering turning NFC on when it's plugged in using Tasker but that'd limit the use.

No real battery difference noticed and I leave it on all the time.

I did create a Tasker toggle widget to turn it on and off though but again haven't really noticed any need for it.

ngravatt

Nov 17, 2008
finally!

nice. i got it working. kept getting the signature error trying to install the g_note_nfc_on_fox689.zip from recovery mode. I had to 'flash' the CWM Big Font from the link in first post via Odin and i guess it installed a different version of CWM then what i had downloaded from the Play store.

works now.

now i got to figure out how/what apps i can use with it.

SeanH

Aug 26, 2006
Thanks guys. I did not install the zip. I copied the .xml file and .apk using root explorer and it works perfect.

I have it controlling this unpowered robot.

http://www.st.com/internet/com/MULTIMEDIA_RESOURCES/IMAGE/BOARD_PHOTO/robot-m24lr16e-a.jpg

http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252290.jsp

Here is a pic of the entire setup with my Note.

278.jpg

Last edited:

ElCamino

Feb 5, 2007
Thanks guys. I did not install the zip. I copied the .xml file and .apk using root explorer and it works perfect.

I have it controlling this unpowered robot.

http://www.st.com/internet/com/MULTIMEDIA_RESOURCES/IMAGE/BOARD_PHOTO/robot-m24lr16e-a.jpg

http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252290.jsp

Here is a pic of the entire setup with my Note.

278.jpg

Did you have to copy the "META-INF" items under that folder to the Note? I see where the "System" folder items go in the Note.

lbroller

Nov 24, 2008
Got it installed. Thanks guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333633563407.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333633563407.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 694

blunden

Jun 11, 2009
Did you have to copy the "META-INF" items under that folder to the Note? I see where the "System" folder items go in the Note.
The META-INF folder contains the checksums of the files and signatures that recovery verifies before flashing. It also contains the update-script used by recovery. Nothing flashed to the device is ever found in there.

I think you need to be on ICS 4.02 and up to use google wallet.
I think it's more to do with your phone potentially lacking the Secure Environment provided by the firmware used in the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. I'm sure there could be some other checks too. Wallet worked fine in 4.0.1 as far as I know and was available for the Nexus S 4G in gingerbread.

Gnortiz22

Sep 1, 2010
After flashing this my phone has started to lag really bad and my data connection no longer works. anyone experience this as well?

Edit: (4G) data connection started working after I connected to my Wifi for some reason.

New question. I can't find NFC task launcher in Google Play. Anyone have the .apk?

Last edited:

ShookMasta

Oct 9, 2010
I installed and it is working without a hitch.... I guess. Can't really find anything around the house to scan. I'm really hoping to see more uses for NFC in the near future. Thanks

gk325

Jun 5, 2011
Why are more people not interested in this thread? I am new to the Note, coming in the mail today. Are developers baking NFC into new ROMS?

bean1975

Aug 20, 2011
After installing this, now I could install NCF Taginfo from Google Play which previosuly wasn't possible. Add passport decoder and my phone reads my EU passport o_O scary as hell. So yes: this works and we live in a scary world.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This flash contains an xml permissions file and the Tag.apk from the Canadian ROMs.

Once you've flashed this you will have the option to turn on NFC in Wireless Settings as well as be able to install NFC apps from the Play Market.

Obligatory Directions:

1. Reboot your phone into Recovery if you've already installed ClockworkMod Recovery. If you don't know if you have, you probably haven't. Go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1526431
    2. Make a Backup! This doesn't do anything fancy, but I'm not responsible if you lose everything when flashing. CWM is still technically a Beta build for this phone
    3. Choose "install zip from sdcard"
    4. Choose either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" depending on where you saved it.
    5. Find your file and install it
    6. Restart. You now have NFC options.
    As in changing the phone name in the build.prop to a nexus? I'm not really sure what that would do. I'll look up the model number and report back what happens when I change it.

As for flashing this, I doubt it will cause any more problems than the root kernel and bloat removal will. Unless AT&T has some spyware buried into the phone, they shouldn't know, nor should they care.

This flash literally just tosses in the permissions XML and adds the control program from the other phones to the system apps. EVERYTHING else was already in the ROM, including the Nfc.apk and libraries. Kinda annoying, but AT&T is wanting it locked out on phones until they're proprietary NFC payment system is released.

Personally, I wanted to play with launch tags, so I figured out how to unlock it, and then made a CWM flashable that does all the heavy lifting I figured out by tearing through the Rodgers and Telus ROMs.
    Yup, it's just disabled on the AT&T for some reason. If you take off your battery cover and look at it, the chip is built into the cover itself.

I tested transmission and receiving with a friend's Nexus. It works great.
    just installed through CWM and works perfectly. are there any apps currently out there similar to "Google Wallet" that I can use in order to pay wireless? And the NFC tags are pretty cool, i will experiment with that as well.
    I've got the latest SAUROM and the ATT fix. Would this work on that? Is there any downside to giving it a try?

It's already enabled in Saurom. Just goto Settings-->Wireless and Network-->NFC near the bottom.