Native SMS Nexus 7 3G texting send/receive/manage with stock JB mms.apk

Search This thread

kRt_uK

Apr 7, 2009
Hi, yes we dont need gosms pro anymore.
The source is a mod from a stock rom as cited on the link provided.
Cheers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: andreapier

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Installed successfully on my N73G. Thanks.

Too bad my current 3G service (AT&T $15/250MB plan) doesn't support SMS messaging :(

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Wi-fi doesnt receive sms texts direct. So I think you need to use 'go sms' but not sure since I never used it.

Assuming your SIM/plan can support texting, using this MMS.apk should work fine. You can use GoSMS if you want, but you don't have to.

kRt_uK

Apr 7, 2009
Phonic, he is talking about wi-fi model.
Text goes to the dongle direct. You could retrieve it only if, in same way, the dongle transmits the sms to N7. But I think the dongle doesn't have such capability.

Last edited:

UberSlackr

Apr 5, 2012
Phonic, he is talking about wi-fi model.
Text goes to the dongle direct. You could retrieve it only if, in same way, the dongle transmits the sms to N7 over wi-fi. But I think the dongle doesn't have such capability.

Is this the Exact file provided be the OP in the Thread you listed?

If so, would it be possible to use the Original, not modified version (other than whats need to work on N7), MMS/SMS app?
I don't like CM's pop up reply, or "No smiley on keyboard" as I use them more than a "New Line."
Trying to stay as much "stock" as possible.....

Last edited:

kRt_uK

Apr 7, 2009
Is this the Exact file provided be the OP in the Thread you listed?

If so, would it be possible to use the Original, not modified version (other than whats need to work on N7), MMS/SMS app?
I don't like CM's pop up reply, or "No smiley on keyboard" as I use them more than a "New Line."
Trying to stay as much "stock" as possible.....

Yes it is.
The problem is that in Nakasig stock (N73g) you'll not find the mms.apk. You need to look for a stock mms.apk in others 4.2 stock roms. Not sure about ID assign problems.
The apk referred is very plain and I think the only mod was about the increasing number of characters which is good.
You can find the original Nexus 4 JB 4.2 System Apps here:
http://www.androidtaskforce.com/2012/11/01/download-lg-nexus-4-system-dump/

Last edited:

UberSlackr

Apr 5, 2012
Yes it is.
The problem is that in Nakasig stock (N73g) you'll not find the mms.apk. You need to look for a stock mms.apk in others 4.2 stock roms. Not sure about ID assign problems.
The apk referred is very plain and I think the only mod was about the increasing number of characters which is good.
You can find the original Nexus 4 JB 4.2 System Apps here:
http://www.androidtaskforce.com/2012/11/01/download-lg-nexus-4-system-dump/

Under "Features" it lists
• No smiley on keyboard, new line support instead (thanks to mikko3024)
• A little bit bigger text message box (when it expands) so you can have a better view of your text, not much scrolling.

But I will try the Nexus 4 Stock you linked to.

kRt_uK

Apr 7, 2009
Under "Features" it lists
• No smiley on keyboard, new line support instead (thanks to mikko3024)
• A little bit bigger text message box (when it expands) so you can have a better view of your text, not much scrolling.

But I will try the Nexus 4 Stock you linked to.

Sorry I misunderstood you. You are right.
Not sure but I think that N4 is an odexed rom, the thread file is a deodexed one. Just to remember.

Synman

Recognized Developer
anyone able to send MMS messages? I'm using the provided ATT microsim and can send/receive SMS just fine.... but I get an ANR when trying to send MMS.

Code:
11-20 00:01:30.145: W/dalvikvm(3497): threadid=27: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40d5f930)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): FATAL EXCEPTION: WorkingMessage.send MMS
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.google.android.mms.pdu.PduPersister.persist
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at com.android.mms.data.WorkingMessage.createDraftMmsMessage(WorkingMessage.java:1532)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at com.android.mms.data.WorkingMessage.sendMmsWorker(WorkingMessage.java:1391)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at com.android.mms.data.WorkingMessage.access$700(WorkingMessage.java:76)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at com.android.mms.data.WorkingMessage$2.run(WorkingMessage.java:1192)
11-20 00:01:30.145: E/AndroidRuntime(3497): 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:856)
11-20 00:01:30.145: W/ActivityManager(490):   Force finishing activity com.android.mms/.ui.ComposeMessageActivity

Looks like MMS is incomplete in the stock ROM. I have a full MMS port I did for MMS out of one of my own apps I'll have to try.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tested and fully working in my N7 3G.

Download file
    Unzip
    Load "mms.apk" into system/app and set permissions
    Reboot

Thanks to theos0o.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1591989
    Thx a lot... pushed and installed with success

For the noob like me...

Root your N7 using the Nexus 7 Toolkit (not too far from here)
    Copy the Mms.apk to your sdcard folder
    Then using the Root Browser Lit (playstore), copy Mms.apk to system/app
    Set the permissions:
    • Set apk file permissions to rw-r--r-- (644)
    • Set apk file ownership to root:root.

REBOOT and you will see your new app :p
    thanks kRt_uK! works on my n7! i just get double notifications, but hey at least i can use the device to send & receive sms!

About the double notification: if u go to settings > apps > all > "simple message receiver" and deactivate notifications, u will get only 1 notification when receiving a SMS/MMS. Dont know if this affects other apps, but i did not get any errors untill now.
    Anybody got the file? The link has 404d

Here you go
    Edit the existing entry and hit the back button when done. If you tap outside of the APN entry borders your changes will be lost.