[KERNEL] Custom Kernel for YP-G1 USA + INTL (5/3/12) [UPDATE: R3]

Search This thread

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Klin's Custom Kernel for YP-G1 USA and INTL
Latest Version: R3

This is a custom kernel that I made based off of STeVE's 3.0 sources. (He gave me permission to release this) I will be adding more features and continue to develop it. The sources are here: https://github.com/klin1344/Galaxy-Player-4.0-Kernel
Please be patient if there are problems as this is my first kernel and everything is still a learning process for me. (I'm completely new to Linux) Enjoy :).

Disclamer: I will not be responsible if you brick your device or if any weird stuff happens.

R1 features:
- EXT4 support (See instructions in 2nd post on how to convert to EXT4)
- Insecure kernel (root in ADB)
- All features from STeVE's 3.0 kernel

R2 features:
- Improve touch screen responsiveness
- Custom bootanimation support; the kernel will look in both /data/local/ or /system/media/ for bootanims
- Netarchy/coolbho3ks SoD patch from Entropy512's source (allows you to use screen off profiles of under 800Mhz)
- Lots of tweaks and mods for overall performance and responsiveness

R3 features
- Ported ClockWorkMod 5.2.0.7 from semaphore kernel source for the I9000
- Raised FPS cap to 72
- Raised RAM from 341 MB to 352 MB
--Doing this would break HD video recording and taking photos while taking videos on the I9000, but our device has none of those features, so it shouldn't have any issues.
- More reliable and easier way of converting to EXT4 (see below) (thanks zaclimon for the advice)

How to install:
Check the PDA slot and flash the .tar in ODIN. Or if you're on Linux, extract the zImage from the .tar and flash with Heimdall.

All releases are here: http://www.mediafire.com/?m1bjqojv5ln6o

Thanks to:
- Entropy512 and rumirand for their kernel sources
- STeVE for his custom kernel and source
- Many kernel devs in other SGS and Nexus S forums for their kernel sources as well
- zaclimon for testing initial release and helping me with MD5 mismatch issues

Last edited:

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
How to convert to EXT4​
Instructions are for R3 only​

1. Flash my kernel.
2. Make sure you have about 14 MB free space on /system.
3. Boot into CWM recovery and do a full nandroid backup.
4. Reboot, and from your computer go to the CWM backup directory on your sd card.
5. Change all the files from ".rfs.tar" to ".ext4.tar".
6. Open nandroid.md5 with a text editor and change all the ".rfs.tar" to ".ext4.tar". Save and close.
7. Eject the device from your computer FIRST. This step is crucial. Then disconnect from your player.
8. Reboot to CWM recovery and do a full restore.

Note: If you're using R5 of my KlassicROM then system is already EXT4.

Thanks to zaclimon for advising me to eject from computer first

Last edited:

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Thanks for your continual development for this player with the custom kernel. Is the CWM the same version from Steve's kernel, or have you put in a newer version?

Regarding your new rom release, I'm always reluctant to change things when they are working well. I hesitated (slightly) going from R3 to R4 and now I'm doing the same thing going to R5. :D

Quite frankly, R4 works great for me but I'll probably change over to R5 soon enough. LOL Also, if I'm understanding your release notes correctly for R5, I can no longer replace sanim zip with my own boot anim in /system/media, is that correct?

Thanks again, klin.

Mike T

Last edited:

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for your continual development for this player. Funny, I'm always reluctant to change things when they are working well. I hesitated (slightly) going from R3 to R4 and now I'm doing the same thing going to R5. :D

Quite frankly, R4 works great for me but I'll probably change over to R5 soon enough. LOL Also, if I'm understanding your release notes correctly for R5, I can no longer replace sanim zip with my own boot anim in /system/media, is that correct?

Thanks again, klin.

Mike T

Yes bootanimation is no longer supported, but thats an easy fix I will add to this kernel.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: webdroidmt
How long should the device stay at the boot animation after converting the filesystems? Mine has been sitting for more than 5 minutes. I'm on Klassic R5

EDIT: Didn't know R5 was already using EXT4 until I read the note at the top of the page. Change it to a larger font and make it bold so people can read it better.

Last edited:

Dark_Balor

Oct 22, 2008
Screenshot
anyone ??
It's a KERNEL not a ROM.

There is not screeshot. The kernel is the core of a linux architecture, the one that handle the drivers, the filesystem etc ...

The Rom is the "software" that is around the kernel with all the apps.

See the kernel and the rom as a onion, kernel as the centre and rom as the rest.

Reactions: klin1344

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Ext4 file system is much faster than Samsung's proprietary rfs filesystem. It is basically voodoo lagfix, except you have to manually convert instead of it doing it automatically.

Sent using Tapatalk

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
Hmm, how about "Klin's kool kernal" :p

Or "Klin's kustom kernal" might be better?

"Netarchy/coolbho3ks SoD patch from Entropy512's source"
What is that, btw? Nvm about that, just read about it in entropy512's thread.

One more thing: you said somewhere that you had ported a newer version of cwm than what is in Steve's rom, is that in here?

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: klin1344

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Hmm, how about "Klin's kool kernal" :p

Or "Klin's kustom kernal" might be better?

"Netarchy/coolbho3ks SoD patch from Entropy512's source"
What is that, btw? Nvm about that, just read about it in entropy512's thread.

One more thing: you said somewhere that you had ported a newer version of cwm than what is in Steve's rom, is that in here?

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions.
The CWM had too many problems than it was worth to sort everything out so I'll have to stick to steves cwm implementation for now.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: iJimaniac

Se7enex

Dec 14, 2011
Shirley, IN
Nice!

Can I just flash this over the current kernel? (R1)
I'm on your r5 ROM.
And also, does this version fix the lagging issues in internet browsers and games?

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Can I just flash this over the current kernel? (R1)
I'm on your r5 ROM.
And also, does this version fix the lagging issues in internet browsers and games?

Yes it is compatible with my ROMs. I'm not sure if it fixes the issues because I'm not using Klassic anymore so I can't test it. But I'm using rooted/deodexed stock with this kernel and it is pretty smooth.

Sent using Tapatalk

Wheatly

Oct 30, 2011
Yes it is compatible with my ROMs. I'm not sure if it fixes the issues because I'm not using Klassic anymore so I can't test it. But I'm using rooted/deodexed stock with this kernel and it is pretty smooth.

Sent using Tapatalk

Found a problem. If you are to flash r2 from stock and follow the steps you get suck and the logo. You have to flash r1 follow the steps and then r2.

Edit: On a side note I only see system and cache are the only ones that are converted to ext4. Is that supposed to happen?
SC20120429-173633.png

SC20120429-181557.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SGP4isokay

Wheatly

Oct 30, 2011
Hey klin, can you post screenshots of the mounts like mine on the post above so I know I'm not alone? The app is Android system info. I feel bad for you cause it seems like i'm annoying you with problems

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Klin's Custom Kernel for YP-G1 USA and INTL
    Latest Version: R3

This is a custom kernel that I made based off of STeVE's 3.0 sources. (He gave me permission to release this) I will be adding more features and continue to develop it. The sources are here: https://github.com/klin1344/Galaxy-Player-4.0-Kernel
    Please be patient if there are problems as this is my first kernel and everything is still a learning process for me. (I'm completely new to Linux) Enjoy :).

Disclamer: I will not be responsible if you brick your device or if any weird stuff happens.

R1 features:
    - EXT4 support (See instructions in 2nd post on how to convert to EXT4)
    - Insecure kernel (root in ADB)
    - All features from STeVE's 3.0 kernel

R2 features:
    - Improve touch screen responsiveness
    - Custom bootanimation support; the kernel will look in both /data/local/ or /system/media/ for bootanims
    - Netarchy/coolbho3ks SoD patch from Entropy512's source (allows you to use screen off profiles of under 800Mhz)
    - Lots of tweaks and mods for overall performance and responsiveness

R3 features
    - Ported ClockWorkMod 5.2.0.7 from semaphore kernel source for the I9000
    - Raised FPS cap to 72
    - Raised RAM from 341 MB to 352 MB
    --Doing this would break HD video recording and taking photos while taking videos on the I9000, but our device has none of those features, so it shouldn't have any issues.
    - More reliable and easier way of converting to EXT4 (see below) (thanks zaclimon for the advice)

How to install:
    Check the PDA slot and flash the .tar in ODIN. Or if you're on Linux, extract the zImage from the .tar and flash with Heimdall.

All releases are here: http://www.mediafire.com/?m1bjqojv5ln6o

Thanks to:
    - Entropy512 and rumirand for their kernel sources
    - STeVE for his custom kernel and source
    - Many kernel devs in other SGS and Nexus S forums for their kernel sources as well
    - zaclimon for testing initial release and helping me with MD5 mismatch issues
    If you appreciate my work and want to encourage me to continue developing, don't post "thanks", just click it! ;)
    How to convert to EXT4​
    Instructions are for R3 only​

1. Flash my kernel.
    2. Make sure you have about 14 MB free space on /system.
    3. Boot into CWM recovery and do a full nandroid backup.
    4. Reboot, and from your computer go to the CWM backup directory on your sd card.
    5. Change all the files from ".rfs.tar" to ".ext4.tar".
    6. Open nandroid.md5 with a text editor and change all the ".rfs.tar" to ".ext4.tar". Save and close.
    7. Eject the device from your computer FIRST. This step is crucial. Then disconnect from your player.
    8. Reboot to CWM recovery and do a full restore.

Note: If you're using R5 of my KlassicROM then system is already EXT4.

Thanks to zaclimon for advising me to eject from computer first
    I think I have it laying around somewhere, just a second...

EDIT: Here you go; http://db.tt/ws7on4Nj
    Sent from my YP-G1 running LinromV2
    Updated to R3.
    Converting to EXT4 should be much easier now due to the new way that CWM 5.2.0.7 does nandroid backups.