So, what will happen now with the Xperia Play?

Search This thread

Miles Wolf

Jun 6, 2011
Barcelona
Hi there.

After all that happened with the ICS update (this thread is not for talking about it), I have some questions about the Xperia Play that I think are very important and Sony should clarify with some kind of official message.

- Will be there more updates for the Xperia Play? I mean, they could fix some bugs (like the MTP USB and Windows 7...) and add some more features on Gingerbread...
- What happens with the Playstation Suite? It was supposed to come with the ICS update, so? Will we still get it if the Xplay stays on Gingerbread?
- This is not for Sony, but I think it's important too: What happens with some emulators that were going to support the "analog sticks" on ICS?

I know that some people here has talked with Sony via their support chat, did they say anything about these things? What do you think about all this?

Please don't flood the thread with useless comments like "Sony sucks", "OMG the Xperia Play is already dead", etc. Thanks.

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots
1. I believe someone's chat with sony came to the conclusion that gingerbread may still get updates (possible bringing new features in the stead of ICS)
2. PS Suite will likely still be released, but I've not heard much about it
3. They still do support ICS. I doubt they'll do anything about it for gingerbread though, seeing as it was only included in ICS because of the easier implementation

Reactions: jrhardware

Dany XP

Oct 30, 2011
Milano
Again, i Don't have have any issue with MTP mode on W7....MSC also no problem, even in Xubuntu
In fact, my phone is not recognized with MTP mode IN WINDOWS XP...

Last edited:

bangawasawa

May 17, 2012
The big question in my mind is:
Will the devs still release games for Xperia Play?
I mean games that a single-core processor can run fluently and games that have XP's pad support?
I don't care if we don't get ICS AS LONG AS we still get some new game here and there. Also more PS Suite games would be welcome. I am sure someone more in-the-know will provide useful information on this...

sufy1000

Oct 22, 2011
The big question in my mind is:
Will the devs still release games for Xperia Play?
I mean games that a single-core processor can run fluently and games that have XP's pad support?
I don't care if we don't get ICS AS LONG AS we still get some new game here and there. Also more PS Suite games would be welcome. I am sure someone more in-the-know will provide useful information on this...

Ofcourse the Xperia Play will still be supported by all developers.

Look N.O.V.A 3 was released that was optimized and now we got Dead Trigger which will be optimized as it's made by madfingergames.

So the Xperia Play has still got a long way to go !

It will NOT die !

abstractbeats

Jan 22, 2012
London
^ If ever we need to give the case for optimisation, we should cite the guy from SE who said that Xperia Play owners were more likely to pay for games.

Xperia Play owners are proper gamers and remember the devs that are good to us!

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
^ If ever we need to give the case for optimisation, we should cite the guy from SE who said that Xperia Play owners were more likely to pay for games.

Xperia Play owners are proper gamers and remember the devs that are good to us!

Gameloft figured that out real quickly, by WAP shopping up will recently the Xperia Play versions of all their games, so when the Play store had a sale we still paid full price. It wasn't till MC3 came out that you could get Play store versions that worked.

- Swift -

Sep 8, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Gameloft figured that out real quickly, by WAP shopping up will recently the Xperia Play versions of all their games, so when the Play store had a sale we still paid full price. It wasn't till MC3 came out that you could get Play store versions that worked.

Well I don't mind the WAP shop actually. Been using it for years, even on my old devices ;P

Last week I got MC3 and AS6 for €2 total. :)

TheCraig

Sep 3, 2011
Helloooooooooooooo
My opinion is within a year this section will almost be dead, most of the great developers will have gone, then 6 months later this section is put into the Legacy section, Quad cores are now out, single cores are gone, no one buys Single cores anymore, I intend to buy a Asus Transformer prime rather than a new phone, I want a tablet.

Reactions: LordBattleBeard

mehdi.moha

Dec 21, 2010
Vaxjo
and what about some games that somy promised to us , some psp game.
also sony's marketing-snior manager has told about : just wit and see what we wanna do on xperia play ( 4 or 5 mounth before )

khamees_xi

Apr 4, 2012
LH.Naifaru
I say lets all take to soney for ics ti be launched to xperia play even if Xperia play looses the ps certification or what ever or they cqn just update the beta to a full working rom with camera and WiFi fix lets all submit a post on soney forum or talk duractly to them

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

TLRtheory

Aug 14, 2011
I predict that the Xperia Play's future will go a lot like it's present...

• Xperia Play will continue to rack up on negative press, which of course will be taken as fact by the group of total idiots I like to call the "We don't own it or know anything about it... but we'll judge it anyway!" group.

• People will hate and people will call it a failure because there seriously are people dumb enough to judge a devices validity by sales (and if you ask them, not a single one will know how many games Xperia Play has, or how well it runs with it's 'supposedly obsolete' specs).

• At the end of the day, everyone who actually owns and Xperia Play (and has something of a functional brain) will continue seeing that it gets new, impressive, high-rating games as it always has

• Other controller solutions will continue being touted as "Xperia Play killers"... and never ever reach even a third of the compatible games Xperia Play has under it's belt.

Reactions: abstractbeats

• Xperia Play will continue to rack up on negative press, which of course will be taken as fact by the group of total idiots I like to call the "We don't own it or know anything about it... but we'll judge it anyway!" group.

• People will hate and people will call it a failure because there seriously are people dumb enough to judge a devices validity by sales (and if you ask them, not a single one will know how many games Xperia Play has, or how well it runs with it's 'supposedly obsolete' specs).

• At the end of the day, everyone who actually owns and Xperia Play (and has something of a functional brain) will continue seeing that it gets new, impressive, high-rating games as it always has

• Other controller solutions will continue being touted as "Xperia Play killers"... and never ever reach even a third of the compatible games Xperia Play has under it's belt.

Snap!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. I believe someone's chat with sony came to the conclusion that gingerbread may still get updates (possible bringing new features in the stead of ICS)
    2. PS Suite will likely still be released, but I've not heard much about it
    3. They still do support ICS. I doubt they'll do anything about it for gingerbread though, seeing as it was only included in ICS because of the easier implementation
    My opinion is within a year this section will almost be dead, most of the great developers will have gone, then 6 months later this section is put into the Legacy section, Quad cores are now out, single cores are gone, no one buys Single cores anymore, I intend to buy a Asus Transformer prime rather than a new phone, I want a tablet.

Sorry, but no.
    It's a cellphone/handheld console hybrid at least. For me it's definitely not just a cellphone and I'd dare say most people who bought it - primarily for playing games - would agree.

No, it IS a cellphone with gaming capabilities.

Your type-of mentality destroyed the potential of Xplay.

People thought it was a playstation phone which to them equals = beasty hardware (console hardware is never great, mediocre at most), alot of native playstation games and clear connectivity to Playstation brand.

XPLAY IS NOT THAT.

At the same time, extreme price, rumors of "hardcore gamer phone" and rumors of "****ty phone" turned off many people.

If XPLAY would be handled just as a " phone that is good in gaming " people would be like " ok, sounds cool"
    I hate it when you say ' cellphone ' its a bloody Smartphone !
    I'm not an american but let me tell you, other cultures have different words for the same thing. Its rude and makes you look like an idiot to pick someone up on it.