[Q] rooted NST - how to add images to internal wallpaper folder?

Search This thread

bobcdy

Dec 28, 2009
I'd like to change the wallpaper on the root u-tube home screen, but I don't see how one can access the internal folders. I'd like to be use adb push but I don't know the path for the 'Picture', or 'Wallpaper gallery Home' that are possible locations for adding the images.

bobcdy

Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for the information; however being a complete beginner that does help me get a little bit closer to what I'd like to do but there is still much that I don't really understand. How do I access that location? And should I add my new image to the subfolder with a totally differently name, or should I rename the my image to that of the default.png and replace the old image?

If I adb push to the nook my image renamed to match the old wallpaper image, will that work?

bobcdy

Dec 28, 2009
still trying to replace home image in rooted Nook ST

I have a question for someone who knows more than I about android systems. Thanks to Thank Meter 78 who pointed out the file I need to change in order to replace the home image is in

/system/framework/framework-res.apk

and that I need to replace in that apk

/res/drawable-mdpi/default_wallpaper.png

Will the following procedure work properly without screwing up my newly rooted Nook?

Using Root Explorer I copied the 'framework-res.apk', and saved it to my Nook sd card. Then copied that apk file to my windows xp computer and changed the extension to 'zip' and unzipped it. The png file thus is available for replacement by another image of identical size and name.

Will it be correct for me to rename the modified .zip extenson file containing a new default_wallpaper.png file back to its original .apk extension, copy/paste it to the sd card, insert the sd card into the Nook, and the using Root Explorer to copy the apk file and paste it back to the drawable-mdpi folder where it will replace the nook apk (being sure that I change the r/o to r/w permission for the folder, and change it back after the replacement)?

Could there be adverse effects of the replacement?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dumindu Amarasinghe

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
My friends all call me Renate... :rolleyes:

Yes, that procedure works, correcting for your typo.

Unzip, replace PNG, zip, copy back to /system/framework/framework-res.apk
You don't need to set it back to r/o. It's better/easier to just reboot, preferably with ADB.

You should always backup at reasonable intervals and before major changes.
Heck, I've bricked my Nook a dozen times.

Reactions: bobcdy

Renate

Ok, the actual answer is:

The gallery uses the mediastore images database.
The crawler can't find anything even if it's right under its nose.

The databases are stored in /data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases
There's internal.db and another db for each unique SD card inserted.

The crawler is equally lame finding MP3's also.
That's why both Music and Gallery say "no media".

ajislav

Apr 1, 2011
Ok, the actual answer is:

The gallery uses the mediastore images database.
The crawler can't find anything even if it's right under its nose.

The databases are stored in /data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases
There's internal.db and another db for each unique SD card inserted.

The crawler is equally lame finding MP3's also.
That's why both Music and Gallery say "no media".
1) I thought the original question was about u-tube (I guess "Youtube" ;-))
2) ad gallery - I was always wondering how to make it see the JPGs I had as screensavers... Would you have any ideas how to fix this (i.e. make the crawler work)? Or maybe the other way round, how often is the crawler running? Would battery be improved if it was turned off/killed?

Renate

The Media Scanner service is what scans.
Normally it is activated on insertion of an SD card.
It does not run continuously.
It ignores directories with file in it called ".nomedia"

The MediaScannerConnection can be used to request scanning of a single file.
Level 8 API (we're 7) can request scanning of multiple files.

It seems to turn its nose up at files and not put them in its database.

Reactions: ajislav

cbay

Nov 1, 2007
2) ad gallery - I was always wondering how to make it see the JPGs I had as screensavers... Would you have any ideas how to fix this (i.e. make the crawler work)? Or maybe the other way round, how often is the crawler running? Would battery be improved if it was turned off/killed?

Are you asking about having your own pics as screensavers?

I did that by connecting my NST to the PC, and creating a folder (one word name) under screensavers/ and copying the pics into that folder. It then shows up in the screensavers menu, and you can select it. The location from within the nook is /media/screensavers

--

Renate

The emulator's MediaScanner works fine, the Nook's appears broken.

You can manually enter images into the MediaStore:
(This requires sqlite3 installed or pull the database and do it on your desktop.)

Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db
insert into images (_data, mime_type) values('/media/myphoto.png', 'image/png');
.q

Call up Gallery.
You will see a blank thumbnail because one has not been generated yet.
Click on that.

jun127

Dec 25, 2012
The emulator's MediaScanner works fine, the Nook's appears broken.

You can manually enter images into the MediaStore:
(This requires sqlite3 installed or pull the database and do it on your desktop.)

Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db
insert into images (_data, mime_type) values('/media/myphoto.png', 'image/png');
.q

Call up Gallery.
You will see a blank thumbnail because one has not been generated yet.
Click on that.
Isn't their any way to repair the nooks MediaScanner? like, re-install it, clear the app data, copy another one in from another android 2.1 device? I don't understand why it isn't working, or why it can't be fixed. I've tried backing up the app and re-installing it, deleting the external db's, running media scan apps. Disabling it, re-enabling it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    still trying to replace home image in rooted Nook ST

I have a question for someone who knows more than I about android systems. Thanks to Thank Meter 78 who pointed out the file I need to change in order to replace the home image is in

/system/framework/framework-res.apk

and that I need to replace in that apk

/res/drawable-mdpi/default_wallpaper.png

Will the following procedure work properly without screwing up my newly rooted Nook?

Using Root Explorer I copied the 'framework-res.apk', and saved it to my Nook sd card. Then copied that apk file to my windows xp computer and changed the extension to 'zip' and unzipped it. The png file thus is available for replacement by another image of identical size and name.

Will it be correct for me to rename the modified .zip extenson file containing a new default_wallpaper.png file back to its original .apk extension, copy/paste it to the sd card, insert the sd card into the Nook, and the using Root Explorer to copy the apk file and paste it back to the drawable-mdpi folder where it will replace the nook apk (being sure that I change the r/o to r/w permission for the folder, and change it back after the replacement)?

Could there be adverse effects of the replacement?
    My friends all call me Renate... :rolleyes:

Yes, that procedure works, correcting for your typo.

Unzip, replace PNG, zip, copy back to /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    You don't need to set it back to r/o. It's better/easier to just reboot, preferably with ADB.

You should always backup at reasonable intervals and before major changes.
    Heck, I've bricked my Nook a dozen times.
    The Media Scanner service is what scans.
    Normally it is activated on insertion of an SD card.
    It does not run continuously.
    It ignores directories with file in it called ".nomedia"

The MediaScannerConnection can be used to request scanning of a single file.
    Level 8 API (we're 7) can request scanning of multiple files.

It seems to turn its nose up at files and not put them in its database.