Official Galaxy Nexus in the Philippines

Search This thread

prinzhernan

Sep 3, 2010
Im on my 2nd day today with 2.5 hours screen time.. maybe the battery that arrived on friday is so much better than my previous extended batt? Hows your extended batt prinz?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think it's because you were using your other extended battery with 4.0.2 and your new one with 4.0.4. Hehe.

So far so good. Battery life seems improved.

swiftden

Nov 11, 2011
Hmm maybe.. but i got 40 hours with 4 hours of screen time. I couldnt do that with 4.0.2!!

antikryst

May 18, 2010
Quezon City
decided to finally flash yakju for 4.0.4. got the IMM76I update right after i flashed.

relocked the bootloader as well.

just to confirm... this makes my HK galaxy nexus the same as the US yakju galaxy nexus now right? bootloader locked. non-rooted. google updates. correct? just wanna make sure. :)

did it on a mac as well.

heres the tutorial i used for mac users out there. its pretty straightforward and easy to follow. im a techie though with some unix experience plus rooting experience from my old nexus one. i still think its easy enough for non techies and android newbies though.

http://digitaligloo.wordpress.com/2...y-nexus-from-yakjuux-to-yakju-4-0-4-mac-os-x/

gtizon

Aug 14, 2011
Manila
yup! anyway, thanks for the tips on how to unlock and flash from yakjuxw to takju!! successful!!

To all those who are scared, its really easy!! :D

anyway, please do text mwe, i lost you number and your messages. thanks again!!

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

gtizon, i can buy the extended batt for you. :)

Soon I will! Still saving up for it. :) Thanks in advance!

prinzhernan

Sep 3, 2010
decided to finally flash yakju for 4.0.4. got the IMM76I update right after i flashed.

relocked the bootloader as well.

just to confirm... this makes my HK galaxy nexus the same as the US yakju galaxy nexus now right? bootloader locked. non-rooted. google updates. correct? just wanna make sure. :)

did it on a mac as well.

heres the tutorial i used for mac users out there. its pretty straightforward and easy to follow. im a techie though with some unix experience plus rooting experience from my old nexus one. i still think its easy enough for non techies and android newbies though.

http://digitaligloo.wordpress.com/2...y-nexus-from-yakjuux-to-yakju-4-0-4-mac-os-x/

Why did you relock your bootloader? You only need to do that for warranty claims. Otherwise you don't need to. Unlocked bootloader is useful for recovering data if your phone crashes. At least if it's unlocked there is a way to access the directories. If you lock it there is no way to recover anything.

antikryst

May 18, 2010
Quezon City
I just don't have a use for an unlocked boot loader. Had my nexus one for 2 years and I rooted it without unlocking the boot loader. I just need OTA updates.

antikryst

May 18, 2010
Quezon City
anyone looking for a case? selling my 3 week old, like new, black sgp ultra capsule case. bought from applewerkz for 1.1 or 1.2k. cant remember. receipt is at home for those who care about authenticity. i still have the original packaging. lots of good reviews of this online. really good build quality.

also selling a new "oem" galaxy nexus pouch. very similar to the oem nexus one pouch... got this from ebay from a seller in HK. looks decent but the quality is different from the pouch that came with my nexus one. looks the same though. carried my nexus one for 2 years in that pouch so i figured i may want to go pouch again. this one cost me about 200 php shipped. though i had to wait 5 weeks, drive to the post office, and pay another 40 bucks for claiming it.

RFS: decided on which case i really wanna use. decided on the sgp ultra hybrid. i like it since its all matte and not shiny.

sgp ultra capsule: 800 php
"oem" pouch: 200 php

i can meet up in the ortigas area. podium preferably. i can also ship for the actual shipping cost. around 120 php i think for LBC (thats the only one near my office). those interested can DM me.

IMG_20120509_125209.jpeg

Last edited:

zippowick

Apr 9, 2011
SIM network Unlock Pin

Hi guys... anyone knows how to work around this message upon using a different carrier SIM? I'm using GNexus from Smart. I tried to find solution for this, however end up see same questions being ask by other people... in short no answer...

j.go

Nov 18, 2010
@chubiprince: That sort of discussion is frowned upon at XDA. You might want to edit/delete your post before a mod does it for you. You might also want to be careful where you get your apps. A lot of the reported malware comes from paid apps that are given away as free by third party sites. I'm not saying all have that, but you should be extra careful if you plan on going that route.

cam88

May 11, 2012
Sim Network Unlock Code

Hi Everyone! I am new here and I would like to share my experience with my Galaxy Nexus. Please bear with me as I would be sharing a long story so as not to leave any details that might be important.

Last Tuesday, May 8, I bought my Galaxy Nexus from an online store for 18700 pesos. Upon receiving the unit I checked the condition of the seal (if it has not been tampered with) and broke the seal to inspect my phone. I inserted my Sun SIM in the slot and turned on the phone, it went straight to the home screen. I wanted to check if it was unlocked so I asked the lady who gave the unit if it is indeed unlocked which she replied yes. Given that the network reception of sun is poor in the area, I stood by with what the lady said and decided to go home. Upon arriving home, I connected to the wifi and downloaded the 4.0.4 update using the software update option in the phone. I also checked if the network reception of the sun sim is ok which it was . I viewed some unboxing videos online and noticed some discrepancies with the unit that I have and the one they were unboxing. First, the seal in the box of my unit had another seal in the bottom, I checked the cut marks left on the upper seal and validated that I was the one who tore it, but the one on the bottom had a straight cut which was not the same as the upper seal that I broke. Second is that once they powered the unit on, they would see a welcome screen which I wasn't able to see when I turned on the unit for the first time. So I decided to do a factory reset so that I would be able to set some settings needed in the welcome screen like my gmail account. After the factory reset, I noticed that my sim card is not recognized by the phone anymore and it asks me to input a SIM network unlock code. I tried the PUK of my sim but I wasn't the code it was looking for. I tried another network provider SIM but it was seeking for an unlock code also. So I contacted the store and ask what might be the cause of my problem and they said that my SIM might have a PIN. I told them that my SIM has no PIN because I was transferring it from one phone to another without a need for a PIN so they said that I bring it back to them so that they can check it. I searched the internet for answers and the only thing that I saw was that if you encountered that error then your unit was carrier locked and then unlocked. There are several things that can cause your unit to be locked again to the carrier and one of them was to do factory reset.

Today, I went back to the store to have my unit checked. At first, the lady who assisted me was the one trying to tinker on the phone's settings and when she was unsuccessful, she passed it on to another lady. A man (who I think was the owner of the store) approached and ask what the problem was. So I relayed my story and he said that he couldn't exchange my phone because I have already modified it's software by downloading the upgrade. He said he wanted to help me but the only way he can help is that he can have my unit reprogrammed but to my expense (800-1500 pesos) and that I have to leave the unit for 3 weeks. He said that it was a risk I took when I decided to upgrade my version and that they are not covering it for a replacement (even though there were some questions about the seal and the welcome screen). So I asked him if I shouldn’t update my version at all and he replied that I am free to do that, its just that they wouldn't be accountable for the errors brought about by the software modification that I have done with the unit.

I decided not to handover my unit and find some answers on the internet. This is also why I decided to share my story, cause some of you might have encountered this problem and solved it already and for those who are planning to buy their units to check it extensively. After all, 18700 is not very easy to earn. So my question now is, can the error: SIM network unlock PIN/code be triggered by upgrading your version? I have read that some have already upgraded to version 4.0.4 so I think they would be aware if this problem exists or not.

harveydent

Feb 24, 2009
Hi Everyone! I am new here and I would like to share my experience with my Galaxy Nexus. Please bear with me as I would be sharing a long story so as not to leave any details that might be important.

Last Tuesday, May 8, I bought my Galaxy Nexus from an online store for 18700 pesos. Upon receiving the unit I checked the condition of the seal (if it has not been tampered with) and broke the seal to inspect my phone. I inserted my Sun SIM in the slot and turned on the phone, it went straight to the home screen. I wanted to check if it was unlocked so I asked the lady who gave the unit if it is indeed unlocked which she replied yes. Given that the network reception of sun is poor in the area, I stood by with what the lady said and decided to go home. Upon arriving home, I connected to the wifi and downloaded the 4.0.4 update using the software update option in the phone. I also checked if the network reception of the sun sim is ok which it was . I viewed some unboxing videos online and noticed some discrepancies with the unit that I have and the one they were unboxing. First, the seal in the box of my unit had another seal in the bottom, I checked the cut marks left on the upper seal and validated that I was the one who tore it, but the one on the bottom had a straight cut which was not the same as the upper seal that I broke. Second is that once they powered the unit on, they would see a welcome screen which I wasn't able to see when I turned on the unit for the first time. So I decided to do a factory reset so that I would be able to set some settings needed in the welcome screen like my gmail account. After the factory reset, I noticed that my sim card is not recognized by the phone anymore and it asks me to input a SIM network unlock code. I tried the PUK of my sim but I wasn't the code it was looking for. I tried another network provider SIM but it was seeking for an unlock code also. So I contacted the store and ask what might be the cause of my problem and they said that my SIM might have a PIN. I told them that my SIM has no PIN because I was transferring it from one phone to another without a need for a PIN so they said that I bring it back to them so that they can check it. I searched the internet for answers and the only thing that I saw was that if you encountered that error then your unit was carrier locked and then unlocked. There are several things that can cause your unit to be locked again to the carrier and one of them was to do factory reset.

Today, I went back to the store to have my unit checked. At first, the lady who assisted me was the one trying to tinker on the phone's settings and when she was unsuccessful, she passed it on to another lady. A man (who I think was the owner of the store) approached and ask what the problem was. So I relayed my story and he said that he couldn't exchange my phone because I have already modified it's software by downloading the upgrade. He said he wanted to help me but the only way he can help is that he can have my unit reprogrammed but to my expense (800-1500 pesos) and that I have to leave the unit for 3 weeks. He said that it was a risk I took when I decided to upgrade my version and that they are not covering it for a replacement (even though there were some questions about the seal and the welcome screen). So I asked him if I shouldn’t update my version at all and he replied that I am free to do that, its just that they wouldn't be accountable for the errors brought about by the software modification that I have done with the unit.

I decided not to handover my unit and find some answers on the internet. This is also why I decided to share my story, cause some of you might have encountered this problem and solved it already and for those who are planning to buy their units to check it extensively. After all, 18700 is not very easy to earn. So my question now is, can the error: SIM network unlock PIN/code be triggered by upgrading your version? I have read that some have already upgraded to version 4.0.4 so I think they would be aware if this problem exists or not.

From your story, it sounds that your phone was not factory unlocked but merely "store/retailer unlocked", i.e. the phone is originally carrier-locked but was software-unlocked by someone (either the store you brought it from or their supplier). The OTA upgrade probably did nothing to re-lock it, but the factory restore probably did.

Upgrading to 4.0.4 is NOT a software modification. It's a manufacturer upgrade, and you're supposed to install it, barring extreme exceptions. The problem is someone modified the phone even before you got your hands on it. So even if you went to Samsung, they can't help you since the phone was originally factory locked and that's the condition they will send it back to you even if you sent it to them for warranty.

Did you buy your phone from a small cellphone stall? It looks like they're not an authorized seller and you're left with few options. You can 1) go back to the store and kindly but firmly insist that it's not your fault, and they have to give you your money back or to re-unlock it for free, and if they refuse, make a lot of noise (metaphorically) and report them to the DTI (they can't refuse returns since you did no modification), Samsung, and maybe even to the BOC; or 2) you can re-unlock the phone yourself either from methods here at XDA or other forums, or by paying online unlockers which may be cheaper than what that store is charging

Take not that with that phone, even if you re-unlock it, anything that wipes data (flashing a ROM/Kernel, or a software glitch that forces you to factory reset) will revert your phone to a sim-locked state

Last edited:
Reactions: cam88

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A collaborative project by me and mixtapes08. :D

uheryhe2.jpg

azese6aq.jpg

- JFDSM™
    [Team AOSPilipinas™]

Mostly you.. Lol.. 10% for me.

-3StarsAndaSun
    Upwards of 1k for all of them. The otterbox cases go for around 2k, IIRC.

Best value cases I've seen and used are the Mercury TPU cases. 500 each at Hackstern in Robinson's Galleria.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    I know there is a dialer code you can type to bring up a menu which will allow temporary switching.

*#*#4636#*#*

What type of batt life you get with the roms and kernels you're using? With standard batt of course. I barely get to 4 hours with data on all the time. I think the radio on my phone sucks. Rarely get a green signal as compared to the S2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I can go a full day with data always on and still have around 40% battery life at the end of the day. That includes around 2-2.5 hours screen time and 2 hours or so of listening to music/audiobooks.

You are in a place where signal is poor. So the phone sends more juice to your radio in trying to maintain a decent connection. If you're only using data to send messages or text emails or anything that doesn't require high speed, try setting network to 2g only if you don't really need the speed. See if that helps.

EDIT: However, if all those 4 hours are spent surfing the internet with screen on, then you get about the same battery life as everyone else. :)
    Thanks! I appreciate it. One last thing if you may... I understand you're not using your GNex that much now, but still can you generally say that the 4.3 update is better than 4.2.2?

Well, usually updates are meant to improve one way or the other. It may not be something we see or feel on the first glance or even after using it for so long. I think on a regular user's perspective there won't be that much difference but maybe upon heavy is there's the benefit. Sorry I can't be as clear as I'd like to be because I seldom use it but for those times that I do, I haven't had any issues so maybe I can say yes with a disclaimer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4