[SOLVED] Help pls! Stuck in Android animation after trying to integrate app updates

Search This thread

sdam

Aug 16, 2006
Athens
[Pls excuse the minor x-posting; it's kind of urgent...]

After a full system/user/data backup of my rooted, stock otherwise, nexus with Titanium Backup Pro, decided to free some space by integrating updates into ROM.
Titanium Backup Pro got stuck in the middle of integrating "Google Now", which I had not even enabled, at about 36%; most parts of the UI froze and a reboot was required.
After that, got stuck in "Android is Upgrading - starting apps" for a very long time. After some more reboots, which got me stuck in the android animation indefinitely, TW recovery was called for, and after wiping cache & dalvik and a restore of boot & system partitions I'm back & stuck to "Android is Upgrading - starting apps"... and trying very hard not to restore data, 'cause I'll lose a ton of changes not backed up in TW (only in Titanium - that was going to be the next step). Feels like I'm being stuck in Android animation again for a vey long time and ADB shell regards the device unauthorized...

Any ideas/help quickly, greatly appreciated...
Thanks in advance,
-s.

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I would expect unfortunately that something in /data will be screwed up too, if it failed transferring from there to /system

Bite the bullet and full nandroid restore followed by titanium restore. Always backup via nandroid immediately before any /system level changes.

Reactions: Aerowinder and sdam

sdam

Aug 16, 2006
Athens
Thanks for the swift reply...
Was going to do exactly that next, but wanted to have a tidy TW backup, with everything in it's right place beforehand. Had used the specific integration feature in the past with no problems whatsoever.
The problem is, last Titanium backup wasn't moved from nexus insides before getting stuck... :( So my best option and what I'm left with is the full TW backup from a Wednesday... Will restore now and report back [oh, sweet lord, being the wife's phone caretaker ;) ]
-s.

sdam

Aug 16, 2006
Athens
Yeap.
Got the device back, _exactly_ how it was on Wednesday... Splendidly working, lost the hell of changes made afterwords, when handed over the device to my wife - and all of her customizations ever-since... and to think that all these happened because her own samsung got stolen on that day!
Shouldn't have tried to accomplish everything perfectly, in order and at once, if there must be a small piece of extracted knowledge from the incident... and that sh*#t happens! ;)
Thanks everybody.

Last edited:

sdam

Aug 16, 2006
Athens
Oops! Pls excuse my ignorance... being kind of an old-dog, thought that Titanium would be back to when I captured that last nandroid bckup, unless I manually moved the backup files in another device.
Happily restoring now all missing apps+system data & will see how it ends up...
But how?... thought that a full nandroid restore would do exactly that, in every aspect [noticed, also, TW reporting that restored /data without wiping media -folder? -mount? -smthng?, but didn't give any particular attention ;) ]
Will report back.

sdam

Aug 16, 2006
Athens
I stand merrily corrected. :)
I knew it doesn't backup /sdcard, but thought that that was because of issues of space and the fact that sdcards are supposedly 'removable' (not on Nexus, of course; my -well, wife's anymore- Meenova awaits to finish everything else in order to deal with it, which is exactly the next step), so I thought that they just followed the convention by not backing it up - but also thought that /sdcard was just a link to some folder or mount point and would thus get wiped during the restore, if you follow my old school thinking... ;)

All's Well That Ends Well, like the bard wrote, I'm grateful to the miracles of this brave new world and we lived happily ever after -my wife and I, that is! ;)

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Space would be an issue. Once /sdcard was over half full, there would be no room to back it up.

On our n5, /sdcard is actually /data/media/0

Stock recovery wipes this (for a complete wipe) but custom recovery doesn't because it knows you'll want stuff on there as a flashaholic

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sdam

sdam

Aug 16, 2006
Athens
Tired but happy, thanks again, for all the help & explanations.
Going to bed now, here being half past three in the morning -but wife is working Sunday's shift 2morrow in the 'paper and would have wanted her phone working... ;)
Cheers,
-s.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would expect unfortunately that something in /data will be screwed up too, if it failed transferring from there to /system

Bite the bullet and full nandroid restore followed by titanium restore. Always backup via nandroid immediately before any /system level changes.
    Space would be an issue. Once /sdcard was over half full, there would be no room to back it up.

On our n5, /sdcard is actually /data/media/0

Stock recovery wipes this (for a complete wipe) but custom recovery doesn't because it knows you'll want stuff on there as a flashaholic

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk