GPS (possible issue)

GPS working for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

ownzordage

Jan 20, 2011
Nice find on the GPS bluetooth device. I was thinking about returning my prime until I saw that. I can easily live with this now. Plus it should be easier on my Android Phone's battery if I choose to use that screen instead.

Blairware

Nov 12, 2009
Wake Forest, NC
Yep, I ordered one of those BT GPS on Amazon a few days back, and there are multiple software packages that I can choose from
if native Bluetooth connections are not sufficient (I beleive they are, and sw is only required to SEND GPS over BT.

KINDA SUCKS, needing to power up another device, and all, but for the few times I use Copilot on the tablet, I can make do.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA App

fuzzer

Jul 28, 2006
Yep, I ordered one of those BT GPS on Amazon a few days back, and there are multiple software packages that I can choose from
if native Bluetooth connections are not sufficient (I beleive they are, and sw is only required to SEND GPS over BT.

KINDA SUCKS, needing to power up another device, and all, but for the few times I use Copilot on the tablet, I can make do.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA App

You will need an app on the prime only, I use bluetooth GPS....has a setting to enable mock location built-in...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Govermans

Jan 16, 2012
The Hague
My GPS is completely dead, however...

- In GPS-test the status says 'GPS ON' (yellow icon)
- In ICS I can see an option in 'location' (I can click use GPS)

All firmware updates installed automatically, I do have a serial in ICS. I bought my TFP last Saturday. I thought GPS was not mentioned on the box...

I'm not sure whether Asus has shut down my GPS or whether it's just a weaker unit.

It's not a big problem to me, but since I'm a bit of a feature nerd, I would like to see it working...

Last edited:

nxp3

Apr 26, 2011
My GPS is completely dead, however...

- In GPS-test the status says 'GPS ON' (yellow icon)
- In ICS I can see an option in 'location' (I can click use GPS)

All firmware updates installed automatically, I do have a serial in ICS. I bought my TFP last Saturday. I thought GPS was not mentioned on the box...

I'm not sure whether Asus has shut down my GPS or whether it's just a weaker unit.

It's not a big problem to me, but since I'm a bit of a feature nerd, I would like to see it working...

Well you should have came here to do your research about the gps...it's been mentioned a month ago of it's problems. Yours is no different than everyone else's who isn't working.

Reactions: Govermans

g0t0

Mar 8, 2010
Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggg!!!!!!!!!

ASUS is KILLING me!!

Sent it in on 12/29. 1/4, email Gave the bs runaround that there's no issue, just need wifi. Emailed them again on 1/5 told them gps won't lock on satellites, NOT a wifi issue. Called them 1/10 three times cuz it's not fixed and no update. Get email 1/11 saying THE SAME BS on the first email. Berated them via reply and demanded my tab back cuz they suk. Called this morn cuz no email confirm they sent it. NOW IT'S SAYING UNDER REPAIR!!!! Customer service says now they are in the process of doing repairs to it.

I think they're Fu!$ing with me cuz I blasted them in an email. But I'm calling them every day till I
get my $h!t back.:mad:

BE ADVISED. ASUS has you talking and emailing CUSTOMER SERVICE. No tech. Even complaints go to customer service. Its a one stop cluster with no repercussion about how bad their communication is.

Last edited:

rosshalz

Nov 5, 2010
Chennai
I personally WANT to buy (and always have since it's announcement) a TFP but this GPS issue bugs me...

But if all sites are so sure that the aluminium casing si the problem, why not just..... replace the back cover with a semi-plastic cover??? I'm just saying..... it'll be cheaper than buying the newer model :p

Blairware

Nov 12, 2009
Wake Forest, NC
Easier said than done.

I personally WANT to buy (and always have since it's announcement) a TFP but this GPS issue bugs me...

But if all sites are so sure that the aluminium casing si the problem, why not just..... replace the back cover with a semi-plastic cover??? I'm just saying..... it'll be cheaper than buying the newer model :p

The GPS was just improved dramatically with the update yesterday. Now it just sucks and is horrible. Before it was not functional in any way. I disagree with the post that said "yours is no worse than any other" as I truly believe some units are less affected by this than others. The same way some got screen banding & Some got lock/ reboot issues with ICS. Look at what AnandTech got for testing: One that got almost no Wifi, one that got poor Wifi ( He stated that the diversity antenna was not enabled) and a third that worked about as good as a Prime can be expected to with the current backplate design. That's 3 units and three different results. Does not say much for QC/QA Process Control at Asus.

I never saw a single satellite indoors, even in a alcove with windows on 3 sides and where my Inspire 4G got instant lock on 6 Sats, the Prime saw nothing. Under the best outdoor conditions I never saw more than 5-6 satellites, and never had a lock even briefly. With the new update, I got a lock within 2 minutes, indoors, at a location with a single, north facing window, surrounded by trees, and the blinds were closed. Did not last, but so much better, it was encouraging. Outdoors I get lock pretty consistently, but not good enough for Navigation. If they could bump the performance up once again this amount (or get twice the current gains, I should say) I would probably be able to use it. For now, it's just a tease.

I have a Bluetooth TomTom Receiver from Amazon ($14 with both power sources) It's super portable, and other that the minor annoyance of running an app on the prime, is probably all I will ever need. STILL, I want the Prime GPS to work! Why? Because it's THERE, that's why.

On the redesigned back panel thing. While this may be a good way for Asus to recover a lot of lost faith and good will, this is no simple thing, and it is not as Rosshalz envisions it. That back cover is super difficult to remove/replace as the gasket is pretty much all that holds the internals into the metal section. It is part of the Tablets structure, and it is the MAIN part that provides strength, structure, and integrity to the entire package. The other part, the Corning Gorilla Glass that covers the LCD is the other, but contributes substantially less. If you were to create a plastic section, or worse still an all plastic or polycarbonate, the unit would likely be a creaker and a squeaker. Plus, I think just disassembling these breaks the integrity of the unit, and I am not convinced that they can reassemble them as well as the manufacturing line can when they are built. A lot of reports came out of screens moving or being partially detached. Check the threads and see, but I suspect these were units disassembled for Wifi fixes perhaps. All I know is, cosmetically, mine is perfect, and I would be very concerned if it went in for service. Kind of like giving your Aston Martin to the tire guys at Walmart. You know they can do the work, but worry about what respect the hardware will get (usually it's none)

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

At this point guys, the Prime doesn't have GPS. The removal of the toggle in the control panel in ICS is sort of Asus' last comment on the issue. So while it still has a GPS chip, it's no longer a supported feature. It's not on Asus' website(s) and future purchasers of an ICS version won't even see it. If everyone wants to keep pursuing it and trying to make it work it's nothing more than a garage project. The manufacturer has spoken.

Asus did take another whack at it, and got some decent, if a long way from workable, progress. Will it ever work acceptably? I would say it is an extremely long shot at best, and if it were my call, I would bet against it ever being viable in the current enclosure. That said, I was reasonably impressed with yesterday's update. I will rely on my BT GPS unit for the present, and take a wait & see on Asus's approach.

By the way,, they may have removed the toggle form the "Quick Control Panel" but it sure as heck still exist in Settings, Location Services, under "Let Apps use GPS to pinpoint your location" I think the using the word "Pinpoint" was a wee bit optimistic. Unless a football field can be called pinpoint that is.

rosshalz

Nov 5, 2010
Chennai
well ur right in that it's the main structural part of the prime. the newly announced prime has this hybrid back which is like 75% aluminium. I was wondering about going the way apple did. I read somewhere that they crammed all the antennas below the only plastic part of the ipad2's aluminium back cover, the apple logo itself. perhaps asus can think of doing something similar. I can tell you for sure that is very easily possible to create a composite structure (like only a part of plastic SURROUNDED by metal) economically while making it LOOK like all metal. that should solve both structural and gps problems... in theory anyway :p

Blairware

Nov 12, 2009
Wake Forest, NC
Multiple options for GPS resolution.

Which charger did you have to purchase for that TomTom? I purchased http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Barrel-Jack-Power-Cable/dp/B003059FAI/ref=pd_sim_e_1 but didn't fit.

I also have 5.5mm and that didn't fit either.. uggh

This was exactly what I envisioned being a problem, so I spent I think $15 instead or $5 for the TomTom Receiver, they had one for $9 with only the car charger, but for 15 it had car and wall charger, just no box or manual. Downloaded manual here (attached also):

The wall charger says the following on it:

Input: 100-240V - 0.3A 50-60 Hz so is obviously international
Output = 5v - 2A

The tip shows center positive/ Surround Negative, as for size, I am sorry, you would probably need to hit a Radio Shack or get a universal one with exchangeable tips.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/mob5_nav5/Wireless_GPS_manual_NAV5_MOB5.pdf

Here are links for the receiver at Amazon for all who want it - I would move quickly. seems now that the word is out for Prime owners, these are selling a a good clip. One of the alternate pages for it has sold out (reminds me of what happens to the Prime everywhere, LOL!) the links I provide are showing:

7 new from $15.99 8 used from $5.99 right now, down from perhaps double that a few days ago:

http://amzn.com/B000HZI2YY

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Blueto...I2YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327279622&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZI2YY?ie=UTF8&seller=A1K4QMY6EFGAY0&sn=GreaTech33

Works perfectly, with just one app on the PRIME: BluetoothGPS, from the Market:

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/googoo.android.btgps/Bluetooth-GPS

Finally, if you want to use your phone as the GPS receiver, instead of a seperate device, either install:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.Saenko.GpsOverBt

this app will use your phones GPS, and provide the satellite data to the Prime. The Prime still needs to be running BluetoothGPS:

OR, and I have tested the following early on and it works well:

Tether GPS on phone(server) & Prime(Client)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.comptonsoft.tgps

This method uses Wifi, so you need to make your phone a Hotspot. If you are rooted, it will work. Otherwise you will probably have to pay the $$ to your carrier for a hotspot.

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
This was exactly what I envisioned being a problem, so I spent I think $15 instead or $5 for the TomTom Receiver, they had one for $9 with only the car charger, but for 15 it had car and wall charger, just no box or manual. Downloaded manual here (attached also):

The wall charger says the following on it:

Input: 100-240V - 0.3A 50-60 Hz so is obviously international
Output = 5v - 2A

The tip shows center positive/ Surround Negative, as for size, I am sorry, you would probably need to hit a Radio Shack or get a universal one with exchangeable tips.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/mob5_nav5/Wireless_GPS_manual_NAV5_MOB5.pdf

Here are links for the receiver at Amazon for all who want it - I would move quickly. seems now that the word is out for Prime owners, these are selling a a good clip. One of the alternate pages for it has sold out (reminds me of what happens to the Prime everywhere, LOL!) the links I provide are showing:

7 new from $15.99 8 used from $5.99 right now, down from perhaps double that a few days ago:

http://amzn.com/B000HZI2YY

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Blueto...I2YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327279622&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZI2YY?ie=UTF8&seller=A1K4QMY6EFGAY0&sn=GreaTech33

Works perfectly, with just one app on the PRIME: BluetoothGPS, from the Market:

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/googoo.android.btgps/Bluetooth-GPS

Finally, if you want to use your phone as the GPS receiver, instead of a seperate device, either install:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.Saenko.GpsOverBt

this app will use your phones GPS, and provide the satellite data to the Prime. The Prime still needs to be running BluetoothGPS:

OR, and I have tested the following early on and it works well:

Tether GPS on phone(server) & Prime(Client)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.comptonsoft.tgps

This method uses Wifi, so you need to make your phone a Hotspot. If you are rooted, it will work. Otherwise you will probably have to pay the $$ to your carrier for a hotspot.

Actually... I figured it out. I bought the tomtom bluetooth GPS receiver for a $1 . Found out that PSP charger works with tomtom bluetooth GPS to charge..

such as this one

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PSP-2000...3GH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327296051&sr=8-1

So, I only had to spend $7 overall including shipping.

JeffR714

Mar 25, 2010
Philadelphia Pa
I paid $38.99 without going into a long story I can't pick up a signal and I'm in the city (Phila Pa) I'll try your other ways while I await the tom tom.

JeffR714

Mar 25, 2010
Philadelphia Pa
Help

I ordered the tom tom device so that brightens the situation up but I really have no experience setting up these gps apps I'm working with the Galaxy Nexus and the prime can someone just tell me how to configure the two devices? I really would appreciate it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Last edited:

JeffR714

Mar 25, 2010
Philadelphia Pa
Shinzz had the best suggestion to a ****ty problem I tried the take back serial number solution and I wound up with a prime with the same GPS problems I even got a member telling me that there were no GPS sats in Philadelphia. Well the tom tom GPS receiver arrived and changed my whole scene testing on Google Nav beta as well as GPS test I've got sats all over. Thanks Shinzz

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
Shinzz had the best suggestion to a ****ty problem I tried the take back serial number solution and I wound up with a prime with the same GPS problems I even got a member telling me that there were no GPS sats in Philadelphia. Well the tom tom GPS receiver arrived and changed my whole scene testing on Google Nav beta as well as GPS test I've got sats all over. Thanks Shinzz

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

TomTom GPS receiver from Amazon wasn't my suggestion(although I guess I did help a few with which charger to purchase) =P

Anyways... Video of Asus advertising GPS navigation with GOOGLE MAP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eCuD7GoxGk&feature=relmfu

And now the edited version video with GPS off the spec:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drZPlAIkrQI&feature=youtu.be

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I felt compelled to register and post because I see a lot of misinformation here. Let's get a few facts straight...

-GPS does not require the use of a WiFi(802.11) or cellular(2G/3G/4G) connection to get a first fix
    -Some implementations of GPS have the capability to use WiFi and/or cellular connections as an option to help speed up time to first fix. This is called AGPS and only affects time to first fix.
    -Accuracy of GPS typically does not increase with WiFi or cellular connection. In other words, once a fix is obtained, GPS accuracy is the same whether WiFi or cellular connections are present. I say typically though because there are some advanced systems that use off device servers to do some heavy computations and then relay device location back to the device through WiFi or cellular. I doubt this is the case with the TF201.
    -Some devices have no GPS and just use WiFi or cellular data to provide a very rough (e.g. 200m) location accuracy. THIS IS NOT GPS.

I believe the TF201 has a GPS system that uses WiFi to help speed up time to first fix. That said, WiFi should not be required in the TF201 when trying to get a first fix, and the lack of WiFi should only extend the time to first fix.

Given the symptoms people are reporting, and the fact that it is not consistent from device to device, I also believe the problem plaguing the TF201 is hardware related and specifically related to the GPS's receive sensitivity. Perhaps there is some variation in antenna impedance from tablet to tablet. This could be caused by something as trivial and devastating such as manufacturing intolerances that cause the aluminum metal casing to inadvertently touch an antenna and screw up the receive path impedance.
    So I just got my replacement ATP. Before I took the first one I got back to
    Best buy I shot a comparison video for the GPS. The Second one I got has a
    working GPS. Its not as strong as it should be but its working. The first one..
    nothing.

Both on my car hood in my driveway on a clear night with full view of the sky.
    It took about 1 minute for the one with a working gps to get any signal. The
    signal strenth seemed to fluctuate a lot.

Who'd listen to you? You're an idiot. :)

I suggest people trying to get a fix without holding the tablet. Try laying it on its face and back and see if you can get a fix.
    Hello fellow members. I know this is not a fix but a workaround to have navigation working assuming you have a smartphone with bluetooth tethering .

I have the transformer prime nonrooted and evo 4g running cm7.1.

I used this how to video

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=d43uq-gzI_I&v=d43uq-gzI_I&gl=US

I first blutooth tether to get internet access. Uses less battery. (I didnt follow his wifi tethering instructions )

Make phone discoverable connect tablet. Hit pair on both devices, then connect internet on tablet bluetooth setting ( once done i turn off discoverable on phone)

Then enable the phones gps app (gps over bt, market free )left discoverable at 30. (I change this to 5 still works fine)

On the tablet i went to settings application setting enable mock location

I then launched the tablet gps app (bluetooth gps, market free by googoo ) and enable mock location. Then hit the connect button. And thats it.

Add the widget tablet. Done.

Hopefully ics does fix this problem

I love my evo 4g with cm7. Does everthing i need

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium
    not getting a single sat here. coming from a Galaxy S, this isn't new to me...