Who Owns A Pro?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2842059
  • Start date
Search This thread

Inadorel

Jan 9, 2013
Edinburgh
Had my Pro since Saturday - had to get a friend to ship it from US to UK.... 128G version with type cover to go with the RT and touch cover I already have. Can't make up my mind which one I like better - they are both great in slightly different ways.

arisg

Jan 4, 2006
Athens
Had my 128G for about a week. Apart from one scary moment where it wouldn't turn on, it is grand. I use it for everything I used my laptop for plus the ipad. Office 2013 runs flawlessly and watching movies on it is a great experience, although volume levels are a bit low.

3devious

Nov 6, 2010
I've had mine and will be going back to the Microsoft store today. It seems that they sold me a VGA adapter for the RT (I told them repeatedly that I was buying the Pro they even went back to get one. Then the HD cable they gave me destroyed my mini display port. The good news is that the Surface still works. I hope they have the stock to make this right today. I am not freaking out over having to go back to my XOOM if they don't have the inventory to replace it. I miss my widgets anyway.

Race2Speed

Sep 26, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Picked up my 128GB Pro with Type Keyboard Friday from the Microsoft Store and this thing is awesome. Loaded up my Adobe CS5 and this machine is a beast. Everything I throw at it runs without a skipped beat. Also picked up the Microsoft Complete care for $99 to protect accidental damage.

jakirkla

Jan 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Had my 128 for a little over 3 weeks. I am completely enamored with it. I use it for business, taking notes during customer visits with One Note and using PowerPoint for presentations. Combined with Office 2013, nothing else compares. Absolutely the highest performance, most versatile tablet ever. Microsoft has a hit as far as I am concerned. I also bought the Complete coverage plan to protect against eventual accidents.

Get you mini display port adaptors from Monoprice. I got the VGA, DVI & HDMI adaptors for less than Microsoft is selling just the VGA one. They work great.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
You shouldn't need the official MS branded adaptors. Any mini display port to [insert socket type of choice here] should fit. Personally I would get a DVI adaptor and that's it. At home I have DVI to HDMI cables and I also have a DVI to VGA adaptor which was intended for connecting VGA displays to the DVI on my graphics card. When I have the means to connect both VGA and HDMI displays to DVI ports already it makes the most sense for me to just get the display port to DVI adaptor.

That said, I don't have a pro. I have considered it but although I need an x86 device I don't need the power of the i5 when the atom is capable of running what I need to run. An atom based surface I would consider.

Kraize

Dec 5, 2007
California
You shouldn't need the official MS branded adaptors. Any mini display port to [insert socket type of choice here] should fit. Personally I would get a DVI adaptor and that's it. At home I have DVI to HDMI cables and I also have a DVI to VGA adaptor which was intended for connecting VGA displays to the DVI on my graphics card. When I have the means to connect both VGA and HDMI displays to DVI ports already it makes the most sense for me to just get the display port to DVI adaptor.

That said, I don't have a pro. I have considered it but although I need an x86 device I don't need the power of the i5 when the atom is capable of running what I need to run. An atom based surface I would consider.

Go with the Thinkpad 2 tablet then. Although, an atom processor lags. A LOT. It's almost incapable of running multiple apps at the same time and lags considerably when writing in OneNote. That is one of the major reasons I went with an i5 tablet instead of an atom.

Yipee a Proud Owner of MS Surface Pro 128GB with Type Cover from Staples with 100$ off coupon code for 1090$ :p

Man its Awesome and runs like dream :D , I've Windows 8 Pro on my Desktop but this feels surreal ...

392895_10151593021684574_914162654_n.jpg

Already have Hyper-V installed :p

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
When I plugged it in, nothing happened. When I un plugged it, pieces of the port came out with it. The folks at the Microsoft store replaced everything. I now have new Surface and cables and everything works fine.

port was likely already damaged then. Probably a manufacturing fault.

At least you got it all sorted though.

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
The SP is the best laptop I've ever owned and best tablet I've ever owned. I've owned a top of the line MacBook Pro Core i7 and MacBook Air (both with SSD drives), a Win7 Samsung Series 7 Core i7, the first two iPads, and Asus Transformer Prime. The SP beats them all as an all around awesome device. The only negatives are: the volume can be a bit low (remedied by using headphones) and it can be a bit awkward for use as a laptop when lying in odd positions on the couch.

MatthewYiu

Nov 25, 2008
Surface Pro 128

This this is amazing!

I haven't purchased a PC/Laptop in almost 7 years. I do not do any heavy gaming so i really haven't had the need to upgrade.

Had the 128 for about 2 weeks now. I took it on my trip with my to Asia. Took in all the photos I took, i was even able to edit some of them using Picasa. I was able to watch 2 movies back to back on it, both Blu Ray rips avergae 5-7 gig each.

I played SimCity 5 on it all weekend and it runs it completely fine albeit having to lower some of the graphics.

I love it. The volume being a little bit low can be fixed by going in to the sound options and enabling Loudness Equalization, it makes it a little bit louder.

I also use it on the Subway everyday, it is a little bit heavy, but it really isn't that big of a deal, just lean it over you forearm. My subway ride is 45min long and i was able to hold it and watch an entire episode of top gear with out too much issue.

GET ONE!!!

Reactions: LastBattle
D

Deleted member 2842059

Personally, after playing with the demo's at my local BB/Staples for the last couple weeks. I'll wait for a price drop.

erikiksaz

Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
I have been using the surface pro for about a week now, and it's been brilliant.

I'm not an Apple fan, so my primary tablet was a Nexus 10, used since the day I first received it (first batch on the first launch). Everything was great with the nexus except for a few things:

1) Things are somewhat smooth, but they're still not fast. At this point it seems like with such high resolutions, the available processors/gpus are just not up to par on the ARM side of the race. The i5 in the pro however, is nearly as snappy as the i5 on my main desktop.

2) Everyday desktop tasks were a pain in the ass. I need to be able to easily search ebay, and post listings on ebay. Not so easy when you need to dig around for previously uploaded images, resize those images, upload to imgur, then to finally post them to ebay.

3) Typing. I hate typing on a touchscreen. Tried it ever since I had my rom'd Kindle Fire, my Nexus 7, and my N10. Never got used to it. But typing on the type cover is perfectly. Hell the touchpad on it beats out my 2008 Lenovo touchpad.

I'm keeping this thing. But, one haswell drops, I will sell this and upgrade.

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
I'm hoping that the delay in the UK release of the SP is something to do with Microsoft not wanting to ship a subpar device and then release a new revision of it a few months later, hopefully the delays in release elsewhere is because they are about to drop a device with Haswell and larger SSD drives..

Still, its Monday, I still have some optomism left...

hal_2000

Oct 16, 2012
Question

Hi, i have a few question about the pro version, what cpu type does it have ? dual-core or quad-core ? the grafic card the memory is sheared or dedicated ? how long the batery last ?

does someone with a pro can anser please, thanks.

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Hi, I have a few question about the pro version, what cpu type does it have? dual-core or quad-core? is the graphics card memory is shared or dedicated? how long does the battery last?

Can someone with a pro answer please, thanks.

All of these questions are on the surface pro page on the microsoft website.

It is a 1.7ghz dual core intel core i5 mobile.

It uses the integrated intel HD4000 GPU which shares memory with the rest of the system.

Battery life is reported to be anywhere in the 4 to 6 hour range dependant on usage (I dont own one so cant share my own experience).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had mine for almost a week now - still getting used to it.

I have the 128 GB version - replacing my old 2 year old Alienware M11x R1 (relegated now to my daughter for her school PC) - quite simply - the SP is what I was originally looking for when I bought the M11x.. :)

I run Office, various browsers, many other apps, as well as code on it.. doesn't miss a beat. Averages around 5-6+ hours on a single "typical" charge doing standard "productive" (which you cannot do on an Android/iPad tablet) by my estimates - less if you watch a lot of youtube/streaming videos.

Make no mistake - this *IS* a PC wrapped in a tablet format. To that end - it has some quirks in trying to accommodate both form factors - and it's very unapologetic in the way it attempts to stay the course between these 2 very different form factors. To be clear - *you* must adapt to it.. ;)

That being said - my 2 cents - it's lighter and much more portable than an ultrabook, and much more useful than the typical "consumer" driven tablets of Android/iOS...

Combine the 2 (again it doesn't give you a choice.. :p) - you have a very unique experience that you'll either immediately fall in love with - or hate.. I'll be the first to admit that it's not going to be a device for "everyone" - but I also believe that MS has a winner on their hands in the form of a truly productive, viable, and unique device that will ultimately be adopted much more widely in professional and enterprise environments than the "typical" consumer market - though I imagine it'll do quite well there as well - especially for students..

To answer your question - yes I'd recommend it and yes I'm keeping it.. :)
    Surface Pro 128

This this is amazing!

I haven't purchased a PC/Laptop in almost 7 years. I do not do any heavy gaming so i really haven't had the need to upgrade.

Had the 128 for about 2 weeks now. I took it on my trip with my to Asia. Took in all the photos I took, i was even able to edit some of them using Picasa. I was able to watch 2 movies back to back on it, both Blu Ray rips avergae 5-7 gig each.

I played SimCity 5 on it all weekend and it runs it completely fine albeit having to lower some of the graphics.

I love it. The volume being a little bit low can be fixed by going in to the sound options and enabling Loudness Equalization, it makes it a little bit louder.

I also use it on the Subway everyday, it is a little bit heavy, but it really isn't that big of a deal, just lean it over you forearm. My subway ride is 45min long and i was able to hold it and watch an entire episode of top gear with out too much issue.

GET ONE!!!
    Got mine about 2 months ago. Imported mine before it goes on sale here in New Zealand next week.
    I don't think I can live without it anymore. It follow me everywhere at work. At home it's docked to a 30" display via miniDP, and a USB3.0 hub.

No other device can accomplish what it's able to do while still being so portable.
    Can't say enough good about it

Been using my 128GB pro daily for 2 months. I love it and it has replaced all my other portables other than my phone. Best thing I did was to buy the"Manvex Slim and Compact Leather Folio Case Cover for the Microsoft Surface PRO" off of Amazon . It replaces the kick stand with an adjustable angle and provides a stylus holder. I also updated the stylus software with a patch from Wacom that provides pressure sensitive functionality and better calibration. Between hand writing recognition and the occasional on-screen keyboard I find I don't use the keyboard much anymore except when I am doing hardcore programming or something. I get between 5-6 hrs of constant use but go all day easily when just using it off and on. I am amazed at how fast it boots from a hard stop. I find that I turn it off instead of putting it to sleep in longer periods of downtime to save battery.

I have converted several iPad users who were frustrated with the lack of business functionality. Can't say enough good about it.
    Well I was interested in this tablet for a while and I finally snatched up a Surface RT when they dropped a big chunk of the price. I actually ended up liking the tablet a lot. I waited up until 2 days ago to grab one of the Surface Pro's since they also knocked a $100 off of the price. I really would have liked to see a larger discount but overall I am very satisfied with this tablet. I love gaming and watching Netflix but I wanted a tablet that was powerful enough to run modern games but portable enough for me to carry with me to work and traveling. So far I have been running Windows 8.1 preview on it and I am overall pleased with the performance and the new features that Windows 8.1 implemented. I have not noticed any major issues as of yet. I had a slight problem with the Wi-Fi losing connectivity but I had not installed any updates yet I had just took it out the box and was playing around with it. Once I installed the firmware updates ithe problems I was experiencing with my Wi-Fi appears to be resolved. I am also happy with the fact that this tablet has a 1920x1080 resolution the picture quality is very good when watching movies and gaming.