[Q] Weird Recovery Problems?

Search This thread

gerard0986

Dec 16, 2007
Victorville
So I was originally on MDL. AT&T S4 of course. Rooted it, installed custom ROMs, everything good. But recently it seems to have issues. Seems like Original Android ROMs just refuse to start up, like Beanstalk or ShoStock. Shows the Custom Lock boot screen thing, then just restarts to recovery. One of the few that worked fine and just booted normally was Alpha ROM from Android, now on the Tmobile forum I believe and Miui ROM.

So I gave up and tried restocking. Installed the MDL stock ROM again, motochopper, used ROM Manager to install Clockwork Recovery (Touch.), and then another problem. The recovery showed the android mascot laying down and that small red box. It seems to have defaulted to some Android Recovery thing with limited options. Rebooted and tried Clockwork Recovery normal edition this time. Same thing.

Honestly not sure what's wrong. Did I miss something and should have updated something or...?

Last edited:

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
So I was originally on MDL. AT&T S4 of course. Rooted it, installed custom ROMs, everything good. But recently it seems to have issues. Seems like Original Android ROMs just refuse to start up like Beanstalk. Shows the Custom Lock boot screen thing, then just restarts to recovery. One of the few that worked fine and just booted normally was Alpha ROM from Android, now on the Tmobile forum I believe and Miui ROM.

So I gave up and tried restocking. Installed the MDL stock ROM again, motochopper, used ROM Manager to install Clockwork Recovery (Touch.), and then another problem. The recovery showed the android mascot laying down and that small red box. It seems to have defaulted to some Android Recovery thing with limited options. Rebooted and tried Clockwork Recovery normal edition this time. Same thing.

Honestly not sure what's wrong. Did I miss something and should have updated something or...?

Did you use LOKI?

gerard0986

Dec 16, 2007
Victorville
I just tried using the stock recovery. Restocked, and went straight to recovery. No motochopper or anything.

Still shows the error droid and under the limited option'd "Android system recovery <3e>", it says, in yellow,

"# Manual Mode #"
"-- Applying Multi-CSC..."
"Applied the CSC-code : ATT"
"Successfully applied multi-CSC."

I'm guessing I broke something somehow...but I REALLY hope this is fixable. This recovery lets me reboot system, apply update from ADB, apply update from external storage, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, and apply update from cache.

gerard0986

Dec 16, 2007
Victorville
Restocked again and used the new CASUAL root. TWRP installed fine from it and works fine, but I tried Beanstalk again and still just reboots into recovery. Even flashed loki twice. What am I missing? Stuck at rooted stock for now.

gerard0986

Dec 16, 2007
Victorville
No ROMs have worked at all? Have you tried installing a different kernel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Seems most I try from the "Original Android" section don't work at all. Starts up, waits at the Custom Lock boot image thing or the stock Samsung logo, and eventually reboots into recovery. Select ones from the "Android" section will work. Alpha I think so far was the only one that I tried and worked fine.

I'll try the kernal thing though, but would that affect the recovery like I mentioned before? Or am I dealing with multiple problems perhaps?

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Seems most I try from the "Original Android" section don't work at all. Starts up, waits at the Custom Lock boot image thing or the stock Samsung logo, and eventually reboots into recovery. Select ones from the "Android" section will work. Alpha I think so far was the only one that I tried and worked fine.

I'll try the kernal thing though, but would that affect the recovery like I mentioned before? Or am I dealing with multiple problems perhaps?

Kernel shouldn't affect the recovery, just make sure the kernel is patched for loki.

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
When you are getting back into recovery what recovery is showing? The TWRP recovery or 3e recovery? Kind of sounds like it is defaulting back to the 3e recovery.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

gerard0986

Dec 16, 2007
Victorville
When you are getting back into recovery what recovery is showing? The TWRP recovery or 3e recovery? Kind of sounds like it is defaulting back to the 3e recovery.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

With the old Motochopper it defaulted to 3e recovery (But didn't before all of these problems.). With the new Java based one it loads TWRP normally again.

gerard0986

Dec 16, 2007
Victorville
Problem is back. I tried to restock and it seems to have worked, but now it just gets stuck at the AT&T globe logo right after the melody. It just freezes and starts to get hot.