Anyone else get the ATT top 5%???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

m0nkeyf00t

Dec 9, 2008
This morning I got a txt from att I am in the top 5% of data users witch is odd since my billing cycle is to the 15th o_O how i get that high in one day. Unless they where referring to the previous month but i checked and that peak at 1.8GBs so im confused.....I know that means throttling im just wonder what the line is anyone know??

just ran test for 3244/741kbs I guess my last month got throttled.....lame 1.8 shound not put me at top 5% if they offer 2gb plans >_>

Last edited:

gmurphy0487

Mar 2, 2011
Titusville, Fl
This morning I got a txt from att I am in the top 5% of data users witch is odd since my billing cycle is to the 15th o_O how i get that high in one day. Unless they where referring to the previous month but i checked and that peak at 1.8GBs so im confused.....I know that means throttling im just wonder what the line is anyone know??

just ran test for 3244/741kbs I guess my last month got throttled.....lame 1.8 shound not put me at top 5% if they offer 2gb plans >_>

They won't throttle people with a tiered plan. If they go over, ATT makes money off them. So what they are saying is, you are in the top 5% of unlimited users in your area.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Style (Pure)
Moto X4
Top 5%

I have to agree. If they are pinging you for 1.8 then I would definitely complain. They offer 2 and 4 Gb plans. Unless you exceeded the 2 then I do not know why they would say something. As it stands, you are already paying $5 extra a month for the "unlimited" and if you are not exceeding 2Gb by much then they are still making money off of you. This is pure greed. They are so worried about losing some money that they are now finding ways to force people to a limited plan. This top 5% of the area is a load of crap. Surely they can make it where once a person exceeds 2Gb AND they fall in the top 5% then send the message. I would think this would be a basic programming of rules.

I always wonder if they have "exceptions" to this rule. I can guarantee that if the top 5% only uses around 1 to 1.3 Gb, then they say absolutely nothing. After all, if a user has never exceeded the 2Gb in years, then making them pay $25 vice $30 would be draining their own pockets.

pazzo02

May 17, 2011
Chicago area
I guess I'm lucky to live in the area I do, because I've been over 2gb more than a few times and have never been notified.:D

m0nkeyf00t

Dec 9, 2008
I guess I'm lucky to live in the area I do, because I've been over 2gb more than a few times and have never been notified.:D

So have I! thats why this is so strange to me, one month I peaked at almost 8gb and nothing and my nov peak was 2.5 so now 1.8 is their new magic number its total crap, I think there is no top 5%, how can only 5% of unlimited users be past 1.7gb in Orange County. ITS A GREEDY CONSPIRACY I SAY!!!! <_<o_o>_>

pazzo02

May 17, 2011
Chicago area
So have I! thats why this is so strange to me, one month I peaked at almost 8gb and nothing and my nov peak was 2.5 so now 1.8 is their new magic number its total crap, I think there is no top 5%, how can only 5% of unlimited users be past 1.7gb in Orange County. ITS A GREEDY CONSPIRACY I SAY!!!! <_<o_o>_>

Maybe all the heavy users in your area went out of town for Christmas/New years?

Noodles5666

May 6, 2009
Philadelphia/Yardley
I have no idea, I have not received such message ever. Jan '11-Jan '12 breakdown
01/11-9.1GB
02/11-4.3GB
03/11-3.8GB
04/11-5.6GB
05/11-4.2GB
06/11-1.1GB(lost phone 3 weeks without smartphone)
07/11-3.2GB
07/11-3.2GB
08/11-15.6GB(downloaded OSX 10.7 via WiFi tether)
09/11-4.8GB
10/11-6.8GB
11/11-6.5GB
12/11-2.5GB(didn't have a smartphone half the month)
01/12-5.6GB
Current cycle 14 days in 4.9GB

Last edited:

SysAdmNj

Jun 29, 2010
I got my notice at 2 as well. Real close to leaving my unlimited plan.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

I have to agree. If they are pinging you for 1.8 then I would definitely complain. They offer 2 and 4 Gb plans. Unless you exceeded the 2 then I do not know why they would say something. As it stands, you are already paying $5 extra a month for the "unlimited" and if you are not exceeding 2Gb by much then they are still making money off of you. This is pure greed. They are so worried about losing some money that they are now finding ways to force people to a limited plan. This top 5% of the area is a load of crap. Surely they can make it where once a person exceeds 2Gb AND they fall in the top 5% then send the message. I would think this would be a basic programming of rules.

I always wonder if they have "exceptions" to this rule. I can guarantee that if the top 5% only uses around 1 to 1.3 Gb, then they say absolutely nothing. After all, if a user has never exceeded the 2Gb in years, then making them pay $25 vice $30 would be draining their own pockets.

So complain to?...I already tried and csr's are clueless. They'll tell you they arent sure what formula AT&T uses to calculate top 5% etc etc bla bla...

jadeus0831

Sep 7, 2010
Hollywood
Once notified your in top 5%, att throttles your data speeds to about .15kbps.
Total conspiracy going on here greedy mofos..let me recap on my experience.

October:12gb
November: 9gb
December:throttled@ 2gb
At end of cycle I still used 9gb(buahaha) Att p!ssed me off so I downloaded mp4's,apps,mp3's as much as I could=]
January:throttled again@2gb >=[
Here we go again...so much for unlimited even though you pay.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA App

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Remember that the unlimited still has a clause built into the TOS of "Fair Usage" THe unlimited plan was made when there were only feature phones and then for the few that got the first smartphones. It was mainly set up for Business users that needed it while out of the office. Now that every kid and their grandmother has a smartphone so they are doing away with it after the unlimited was abused. IT started with the Icrap users always streaming stuff. Now you have every one using the cloud and the data rate from some people are just not acceptable. Mix that with the fact that no one reads the TOS and this is what happens.

vwood2121

May 21, 2008
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Well I've gotten the message for the past 3 months, at the moment my download speed is 131 kbps and upload speed is 1648 kbps I'm gettin screwed I feel, I've been with Att for 11 years now and now this crap. Took 22 minutes to download a 2.99mb app from the market. I'm not switching to a tiered plan gonna download 24/7, tired of getting this message every month at the 1 gig mark.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

gtluke

May 20, 2011
I average around 3gb a month. My company pays for my phone and I'm grandfathered in the unlimited. Not sure what AT&T totals my usage at since I've never seen the bill but my app usually says around 3gb.

getbuzzin

Oct 26, 2011
Well I've gotten the message for the past 3 months, at the moment my download speed is 131 kbps and upload speed is 1648 kbps I'm gettin screwed I feel, I've been with Att for 11 years now and now this crap. Took 22 minutes to download a 2.99mb app from the market. I'm not switching to a tiered plan gonna download 24/7, tired of getting this message every month at the 1 gig mark.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App

Downloading is too slow. If you want to eat up as much data as possible, try uploading video to something like drop box 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys I think this thread has answered a dozen times. We all know that ATT is throttling people for what ever reason. This will continue to happen until they remove all the unlimited packages completely which will happen, its just a matter of time.

Question answered thread closed.
    Not even close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium
    you done tool?

Apperantly you dont know change.org has stopped Bank of America from debit card monthly fees and foreclosures. Why not stop At&t from unfair Unlimited Data throttling? If not stop then make awareness. Imagine if all its few million unlimited data subscribers remaining filed small claims suit?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

Tool? How do you even know what he was referring to when he made his comment?

I got your 10 char right here

Rocking bacon...ics style
    My suggestion: Get everyone you know on an unlimited plan to tether, and upload movies to Dropbox 24/7 for a few billing cycles.

Oh yeah go head and watch how fast ATT pulls unlimited all together faster then they plan.

This is pointless really, Complaining about this does nothing as in the end it is their network so its their rules. You can switch networks if you want. Now I have tried to explain why they are doing this but seems alot of people just dont understand as they are new to smartphones and the way things work. Unlimited data was never ment for people to stream media all the time or be using 5gb+ aa month, IT was set up for the business users that needed it not those that really dont need that much data on a phone and then abused it.
    These bastards just started throttling me 2 months ago. The first month they cut me off at 5 gigs and then last month they cut me off at 2 gigs. I work in the oil field here in Odessa TX and spend most of my time out in the field and they have the audacity to tell me to use more wifi like I don't know that.

Fckn att pisses me off, as soon as I can I'm switching to sprint

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA App