[Q] Housekeeping

Search This thread

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
I think the thread should stay open. There has been some good ideas come from it. Its helped devs and members come together and agree on somethings. It is human nature to resist change. But if we dont ever attempt to change things will not get better.

Reactions: anoymonos

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is just a suggestion for all the developers that are established within this forum. Alright every time a new Rom, Kernel, or Tweak etc. is released the development forums get cluttered up with a bunch of ( lets face it guys ) useless information, questions ( which generally don't belong here ), and unnecessary thank you's. THERE IS A BUTTON FOR THAT! Anyways back to my original idea maybe these DEVS can pick a group of knowledgeable members to use as their testers to find bugs and issues before release to public. I know your excited to be finished ( you thought ) and want to share it with everyone, but think of these testers of your very own R & D team. By doing this most of the bugs can be resolved before public release therefore resulting in far less clutter about fix this or this don't work blah blah blah. I personally think this would result in much neater more organized threads that are more appealing to read through. I hate when i see a thread of interest and BAM over 100 replies thats alot of pages to go through. I also think this would make the moderators happier also. What do you guys think?

PS if you guys like what i have to say then HIT THE THANKS BUTTON don't post saying thanks no need to clutter up any thread.
    Github bugreports is awesome. :D

I have to admit that this is actually one of the more useful things you guys can do, if you ARE going to be willing to help. Airfluip mentioned the camcorder bug in CM7 the other day, and Bryan said he had forgotten about it, so I opened a bug report for it. I hadn't used the issue (bug report) capability in github before, but I'm going to start using it more extensively because it's a good way to keep track of what's gotten fixed and what needs to be fixed, rather than having to wade through all the posts on XDA, so I recommend you do this to help us out with any of the projects we have since they're all linked to github from their respective threads.
    Also. Why not just take the time to read. Useless posts I don't think there are many useless posts. We all have different opinions and ways of understanding things and some of the posts that have helped me out over the year fit in to your definition of being useless. Also there is a thank you button but what kind of world is there where someone can't take the time to write a meaningful personalized message thanking the dev. Even if it literally says thank you it took more effort than clicking a button. We have a gift to read and share knowledge praise thanks and I like seeing the different forms if gratitude and I think the devs should think of it as being respectful and gratious. Also do we really need a thread complaining. Just be happy. And relax. Its a great day and age we live in. And threads aren't that drastically cluttered and as fb said you really want to help?? Join the irc and Google **** send logs. Not ***** about thank yous and small jokes. Relax and enjoy the forums. Its entertainment or else no one would be here.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
    I don't chime in much on things around here but I really want to tell you all that I greatly appreciate the fact that this is a discussion and not what everything else seems to turn into. I think it shows that we are, indeed, a community of people that care about our phones, the development that some really good people spend their time doing, helping each other, helping the new folks, and we care about the community in which we communicate.

It's good to see people caring about what goes on around here. That alone is what made me feel the need to write.

I can't say what the best way is going forward with keeping the dev area cleaner. Each dev is a different person and we're in an open community so I don't know that trying to "lock-down" how it's done will work. Wrapping a development life cycle approach is a good idea but I don't know how effective it can be in a non-corporate environment. I do, personally, like the idea of a small team of testers. I'd like to be one of them but I also realize that my work and personal life interferes with how much I can contribute. Ask FB, he waited a month or so for me to help develop an update to the GB Starter Pack and I never got it done. I love helping the community but I falter, too :)

I do believe the dev threads should be kept to clicking "Thanks" (PM the Dev if you want to write that heartfelt note/letter), log files, and bug reports. As others have pointed out, though, we can't stop people from doing whatever they want to do. We can encourage, we can point out (Hey, this doesn't belong here), but at the end of the day we can only control our own behaviors.

I want to reiterate my thank you to all of the community here. I'm glad to see we're coalescing & gelling to make this a better place. I'll help with that in any way I can.

Thanks again - Steve
    I agree with using a group of testers to help provide logs and such on builds. However I dont think, and this is just my opinion, that testers should have to idle in irc to get those builds. Because Im sure there are several people that could help but dont or cant idle there because of family, work, or school. I have seen erikmm mention a user or two using his builds before release. That is very good.

I also believe if a dev gets frustrated at a question being asked over and over again use the report button and ignore it. That applies to everybody if you see a question asked a second, third or more times report it. However answer the question if you can. Ask the mod to move it to a q&a thread. A general thread to move those is lumins stickied stupid questions thread. Maybe we can get sixstringsg to chime in on this. I know it aggravating to see these questions over and over but sometimes just answering them and asking to have the question moved is the better option then refuse and say use search. If you feel its spoon feeding or whatever remember somebody had to answer the question at some point. Not everybody has google-fu skills to find the right answers and simply answering saves so much frustrations on everybody.

TL;DR?
    Extend the test build outside of irc because not everybody can idle in irc.
    Questions that frustrate need to be reported.
    If you can answer that question maybe do so and ask to get it moved.
    Lumin's stupid question thread would be a great landing point if a thread isnt available.
    sixstringsg maybe chime in regarding moving these posts instead of deleting them.