Its high time we put social pressure on samsung with regards updates

Search This thread

bigbrovar

Feb 16, 2011
Hi guys, let me just get down to the meat of the issue. I think its time we all come together and apply some form of social pressure on samsung concerning their update road map for the (second gen) galaxy tab series (10.1,8.9 and 7 plus) I paid about $575 for the 16gb 3G version of the galaxy tab 8.9 and almost returned it immediately because of the horrendous lag of the device (in landscape mode) when swyping across home screens and application grid. Thankfully I followed the advise of many here and installed a custom rom (in my case overcome) which made the device much more usable. What is most annoying is not just how samsung allowed such a laggy device to be released but also keeping mute about any update plans whatsoever. I am not even talking about ice cream sandwich, honeycomb 3.2 has been out for a couple of months now and all the major android honeycomb tablets (The Xoom and transformer) has received updates on their devices. even though mainly a bug fix release. Honeycomb 3.2 would go a long way to fix many of the annoyance currently experienced by galaxy tab owners.

I am not saying samsung should update my device tomorrow, but at least don't keep me in the dark. We all paid top dollars for their device hence the least they could do is to keep us informed on pending updates and also be damn fast about it. There is no doubt as to the legendariness of samsung's hardware awesomeness. Till date they have the best phone hardware in the market (galaxy s2 is the gold standard by which other mobile phones are measured) and their 2nd generation galaxy tab are the best tablets hardware ever. But samsung scores a zero when it comes to communicating with their users. It doesn't hurt to let your users know what is coming .. it removes the need for rumours and makes them even more loyal. And we are loyal bunch of users. Even though the world would have us believe that tablets start and ends with ipad. we stuck with samsung and all we ask is that they at least treat us with respect. Acknowledge by taking to us.

I can not describe the wave of jealousy I get everytime I hear acer talk about how their updates plans for ice cream sandwich and how the OG transformer would be receiving updates this year end, how the transformer is getting the second batch of ice cream sandwich updates.. all the while I am refreshing XDA forum waiting for a good Samaritan from the community to release the fix that I expected from samsung. I think this is unacceptable.

I don't think we sit milkly by and accept this kinda treatment from samsung. I think its time we take them to task using social media. I don't own a facebook account but I don't mind creating one. Its time we make our self heard and get samsung to listen to us.. Goal is simple. samsung needs to become more engaged with its fans and users. I mean what harm could come out of letting users know about update plans? what ill could come out of prompt updates to recent android release. I am a proud owner and the galaxy s2 and with that device I am not so much concerned with updates. But that is because the galaxy s2 is a master piece and runs fine as it is. I can not say the same about my galaxy tab 8.9.. The performance of that device could be better. software not hardware is behind the laggy performance which is why it pisses me to no small extent knowing they is a software update out there which fixes my issue. Other OEMs are releasing it to their devices (or engaging their users on future release) while samsung just keeps mute.

My goal is to get samsung to engage us their users more on update plans. or roadmap.
And To get them to be more speedy when it comes to releasing updates.

How do we go about this. looking at the success of how sustained facebook campaigns has worked for HTC, LG and motorolla users in the past, how it has gotten these companies to reverse policies which were unfriendly to their users. I think its time samsung galaxy tab users get on facebook and mount a sustained but peaceful and civil plea to samsung. Let us make our voices heard.

Its time we direct our inquiries directly to samsung. Hopefully we can raise enough dust that someone high up would push the button that makes the necessary changes.

Either way it's in samsung interest to be known as an OEM which listens to their users.
Its in their interest to be known as an OEM who always release updates for their device.

Does anyone share my thoughts on this?

Reactions: taha_e

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
About updates, it seems to me that Samsung produces a lot of updates every month, they just don't push them out. We get at least two leaked firmware a month. I'm ok with that because I don't like Kies anyway and Odin is easy to use. Android 3.2 seems to be out in Korea, so it can't be far for us, I expect the next leak to have it (KJ1?).

About the gt8.9 lag in landscape mode, unfortunately I think that's hardware problem. All tabs with tegra soc have this lag in portrait. For some unknown reason the gt8.9 screen is rotated 90 degrees (look in build.prop file) and that's why it has this problem in landscape. So I don't believe android 3.2 will fix this. Maybe ICS will, if it does do something very differently in launcher.

Last edited:

bigbrovar

Feb 16, 2011
About updates, it seems to me that Samsung produces a lot of updates every month, they just don't push them out. We get at least two leaked firmware a month. Android 3.2 seems to be out in Korea, so it can't be far for us, I expect the next leak to have it (KJ1?)..
which brings me to the point of user engagement. Samsung could do better in that area. Its just hikes me when acer, motorola and HTC release update road map for their devices and we get nothing from samsung. They could do better in that regards

About the gt8.9 lag in landscape mode, unfortunately I think that's hardware problem. All tabs with tegra soc have this lag in portrait. For some unknown reason the gt8.9 screen is rotated 90 degrees (look in build.prop file) and that's why it has this problem in landscape. So I don't believe android 3.2 will fix this. Maybe ICS will, if it does do something very differently in launcher
Your signature listed the xoom with hc 3.2.1 does that mean you still have same lag even with honeycomb 3.2?
we are not even sure about ICS samsung has not said anything officially about which device would get updated and when. (and no random comment from a samsung italian site/facebook page does not count as official)

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
Your signature listed the xoom with hc 3.2.1 does that mean you still have same lag even with honeycomb 3.2?
we are not even sure about ICS samsung has not said anything officially about which device would get updated and when. (and no random comment from a samsung italian site/facebook page does not count as official)

Yes, Xoom with Android 3.2.1 still isn't smooth when changing homescreens in portrait. Like i already said, it's a known problem with all Tergra 2 Honeycomb tablets. Only new thing about GT8.9 is that in that case it's in landscape and not portrait. If you don't believe me, hold your tab in portrait and you will see how smooth the scrolling through homescreens is. I can't believe Samsung didn't know about this problem, it seems they just thought that we can live with it. I can and have lived with my Xoom and GT10.1 that have this problem in portrait mode and i have never complained about this issue because i rarely use the tablet in portrait. But having this problem in landscape... i'm starting to hate my GT8.9 which i bought just a few days ago. I'm now using GT8.9 with only one homescreen set up because i don't want to see this jerky scrolling.

pcgeek86

Oct 14, 2010
Chicago, IL
trevorsullivan.net
All I care about is that we get an Ice Cream Sandwich ROM in a timely manner. Since Samsung is the launch partner with Google on ICS, they'd better do more than just try to sell the Galaxy Nexus.

I have to say that I'm not impressed with the lack of updates either -- a device of this caliber deserves to not be released and then ignored over time. Just like a desktop or laptop computer, I expect to apply updates on a regular basis to fix reliability and security bugs, at the OS level.

Lanky14

Sep 27, 2011
So I'm in Canada and just got my galaxy 10.1 back from Samsung tech support (for repairs) and it came back with Honeycomb 3.2
I must say that it is wayyy smoother and better then 3.1

Reactions: pngface

nickwarn

Aug 4, 2010
Ronneby
So I'm in Canada and just got my galaxy 10.1 back from Samsung tech support (for repairs) and it came back with Honeycomb 3.2
Picture, or it didn't happen. Also seems that some guys in Israel, I think, have also got it. JK1 that was called. I think Task650 is helping that guy to dump the system. Maybe I should mention that that was for 7510.

poisike

Jun 6, 2009

Turn it to portrait, is scrolling through homescreens still smooth? I don't think so.

pkoper

Oct 15, 2006
NRW
It would definately be great to get updates more often.

But on the other hand I do not recall Samsung having ever published, promised etc. that they will provide updates on a regular basis. It's just a nice thing that happens and I think.

Howcome do people feel they have a right to regular free updates?

Lanky14

Sep 27, 2011
Picture, or it didn't happen. Also seems that some guys in Israel, I think, have also got it. JK1 that was called. I think Task650 is helping that guy to dump the system. Maybe I should mention that that was for 7510.

see attached

Attachments

• SC20111108-121036.jpg
    SC20111108-121036.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 214

qhinton

Feb 24, 2010
Brew City
I have the 7.0 Plus and its sort of smooth while swiping in either mode. It only stutters maybe 1 out of 10 swipes.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
I have the 7.0 Plus and its sort of smooth while swiping in either mode. It only stutters maybe 1 out of 10 swipes.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium

7.0+ doesn't have Tegra 2 SoC so this doesn't mean much, except it proves that its a hardware problem on Tegra tablets.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, let me just get down to the meat of the issue. I think its time we all come together and apply some form of social pressure on samsung concerning their update road map for the (second gen) galaxy tab series (10.1,8.9 and 7 plus) I paid about $575 for the 16gb 3G version of the galaxy tab 8.9 and almost returned it immediately because of the horrendous lag of the device (in landscape mode) when swyping across home screens and application grid. Thankfully I followed the advise of many here and installed a custom rom (in my case overcome) which made the device much more usable. What is most annoying is not just how samsung allowed such a laggy device to be released but also keeping mute about any update plans whatsoever. I am not even talking about ice cream sandwich, honeycomb 3.2 has been out for a couple of months now and all the major android honeycomb tablets (The Xoom and transformer) has received updates on their devices. even though mainly a bug fix release. Honeycomb 3.2 would go a long way to fix many of the annoyance currently experienced by galaxy tab owners.

I am not saying samsung should update my device tomorrow, but at least don't keep me in the dark. We all paid top dollars for their device hence the least they could do is to keep us informed on pending updates and also be damn fast about it. There is no doubt as to the legendariness of samsung's hardware awesomeness. Till date they have the best phone hardware in the market (galaxy s2 is the gold standard by which other mobile phones are measured) and their 2nd generation galaxy tab are the best tablets hardware ever. But samsung scores a zero when it comes to communicating with their users. It doesn't hurt to let your users know what is coming .. it removes the need for rumours and makes them even more loyal. And we are loyal bunch of users. Even though the world would have us believe that tablets start and ends with ipad. we stuck with samsung and all we ask is that they at least treat us with respect. Acknowledge by taking to us.

I can not describe the wave of jealousy I get everytime I hear acer talk about how their updates plans for ice cream sandwich and how the OG transformer would be receiving updates this year end, how the transformer is getting the second batch of ice cream sandwich updates.. all the while I am refreshing XDA forum waiting for a good Samaritan from the community to release the fix that I expected from samsung. I think this is unacceptable.

I don't think we sit milkly by and accept this kinda treatment from samsung. I think its time we take them to task using social media. I don't own a facebook account but I don't mind creating one. Its time we make our self heard and get samsung to listen to us.. Goal is simple. samsung needs to become more engaged with its fans and users. I mean what harm could come out of letting users know about update plans? what ill could come out of prompt updates to recent android release. I am a proud owner and the galaxy s2 and with that device I am not so much concerned with updates. But that is because the galaxy s2 is a master piece and runs fine as it is. I can not say the same about my galaxy tab 8.9.. The performance of that device could be better. software not hardware is behind the laggy performance which is why it pisses me to no small extent knowing they is a software update out there which fixes my issue. Other OEMs are releasing it to their devices (or engaging their users on future release) while samsung just keeps mute.

My goal is to get samsung to engage us their users more on update plans. or roadmap.
    And To get them to be more speedy when it comes to releasing updates.

How do we go about this. looking at the success of how sustained facebook campaigns has worked for HTC, LG and motorolla users in the past, how it has gotten these companies to reverse policies which were unfriendly to their users. I think its time samsung galaxy tab users get on facebook and mount a sustained but peaceful and civil plea to samsung. Let us make our voices heard.

Its time we direct our inquiries directly to samsung. Hopefully we can raise enough dust that someone high up would push the button that makes the necessary changes.

Either way it's in samsung interest to be known as an OEM which listens to their users.
    Its in their interest to be known as an OEM who always release updates for their device.

Does anyone share my thoughts on this?
    You can't be serious. Vacation can wait, dump that image ;)