PDroid Privacy Protection

Search This thread

Benzoman

Jan 9, 2012
Central Illinois
What other programs do you run besides shark for root and shark reader? Looks like both android market versions are pretty old. Are they still working like they should?

Sent from my NookColor running CM7.2 -RC0 MiRaGe -
KANG 02012012 using TapaTalk

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Yeah, I the Shark apps could definitely use some love from the developer. He's an xda member, so maybe he'll hear our pleas. I never got shark updater (which comes packaged with the Reader) to work correctly, which would be awesome, because it supposedly gives the ability to tag packets and analyze the outgoing data.

I do use them though. The main tool is the firewall, and its logs. We all know Google gets a ton of our info, it's kind of the cost of doing business with Android. If you look at your app list, say through Droidwall (every app I am going to discuss is free in the market, I cannot buy apps on this device, and which has necessitated some work around.. That said, I haven't found a paid way to do this that is demonstrably easier) how many of the apps functionality depends on the Internet that aren't Google or some other massive company? I bet it is fewer than you think.

Block those apps, kernel and root, and any others that are even mildly unknown quantities. Consider this their Probationary period. Run the device awhile and show the log. All blocked packet transfers are recorded, with their destination IPs listed. An Internet search on those addresses make it pretty clear what is trustworthy and what isn't.

I then use Shark apps to record some traffic and trace any unrecognized IPs. This isn't as hard as it sounds. Anything starting with 74 is Google, and we have removed the pointless data gathering of any unnecessarily permitted apps. If somethings amiss, I just freeze the likely suspects one of by one until the offending traffic disappears.

I know this sounds like a ton of work, but depending on the size of your app drawer, not counting time letting the logs accrue, it's only a couple of hours. Depending on how many chances you take with non-market apps, or smaller developers, you may be surprised at how secure you already are.

The real payoff for the work comes into play now. With this process you can be at a baseline safety. Any apps you install are blocked at installation by default through the firewall. After installing an app, wait a few minutes and check the log before allowing them Internet access. Most suspicious apps, and many above board ones, send the most data packets upon installation, so you will pretty much see the breadth of their communications list in those first few minutes. It doesn't take but a few minutes to vet their traffic, and and decide if they are above board or not. I do this with every app I install, although with many you can just block them from the network permanently, and just keep an eye on tam over time. When I check my logs now, I only see blocked kernel traffic. None of my installed apps amending anything wouldn't want them too, and I know it for sure.

Most apps aren't necessarily trying to directly steal from you, and but some do try to profit by selling your info. I use the above to stymie those efforts. And to tie this admittedly overlong response back into the thread, I use Pdroid to plug the holes. If they are gonna get through the cracks, and I at least want theninfo to be bad and/or of my choosing.

Look at your app list realistically. There are probably less than a third that truly need Internet access out of the 2/3 to 3/4 that ask for it.. I just block the unnecessary ones and never look back. Disregarding Google and the other behemoths, who are most certainly gathering data, but generally with your knowledge/approval in return for the free services, there are but a handful left to investigate. I find I worry way less after doing the above diligence, which takes a couple hours but is free, easy, and uses way less battery than Lookout and other wastes of space.

Sorry about all that. Got carried away, I suppose. : >)

oh yeah, I came up with this byzantine chicanery only after trying a million traffic monitors and watchdogs. I don't know if it is the ROM or the nook, but per-app wifi traffic just isn't supported. Hence the drawn out process.

Back to your lives, citizens...

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Yeah, the ability to input values is a huge upgrade. I do worry about some pushback from developers and conceivably even the market itself. I am not sure what they could really do about it, but allowing users to conceivably share identifying data signifiers seems like a pretty powerful tool, even when used for good.

Here's hoping nobody notices for awhile.

gumnaam.sur

Jan 2, 2012
Updates patches for 02-10 Kang Build

For Latest Kang Build

Attachments

• PDroid-v1.27-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-02102012.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 18
  • PDroid-RESTORE-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-02102012.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 9

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
That is interesting the old patch works on the current build! That hasn't been the case the last time I tried mixing them. I guess it depends how substantial the changes are. Thanks gunman!

gumnaam.sur

Jan 2, 2012
Patch Ver 1.32 against 03/23 build

Latest Patch (ver 1.32) against latest build 03/24.

Note the last patch I uploaded was ver 1.27, and this is the latest one 1.32

Attachments

• PDroid-v1.32-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-03232012.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 17
  • PDroid-RESTORE-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-03232012.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 10

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
So I have been working on a port of PDroid to ICS with pasttime1971 in the Optimistic 2x forums.

We have the app working but I have some questions as to how well. I am working on a couple of different ideas as how to best make PDroid available to the larger community but it just needs more testing before I am comfortable distributing the necessary files, or even going much further in trying to make some patches.

What i need is someone who is using PDroid with CM7 to compare functionality. I would like to simultaneously test some apps and see how well they are blocked. If anyone has Pdroid in any cm7 ROM, and would be willing to do some back-and-forth reporting, maybe pastebin a log or two, it would be quite helpful.

I know I could just install a cm7 ROM and do this myself, but that would require a TON of flashing and I have some other projects I am doing that pretty much require CM9 on a daily basis. So some help would be appreciated.

I would rather do this in the thread, so other people could chime in with results, but if you would like to do it over pm, that is also fine. The pastebins can obviously be made private, or we could do that over email. They may not even be necessary so don't think of that as a requirement before offering help.

Thanks. The screenshot below is meant to show progress. I know a some permissions are being blocked, I just need more info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-10-02-25-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-10-02-25-59.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_2012-04-10-02-56-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-10-02-56-05.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: SGH-i200 and raenye

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Okay, since I didn't get any volunteers, I went through the flashing personally. The way that android shares data has changed significantly since Gingerbread, but I think it is more secure. How much you agree with me will depend on how you feel about trusting Google.

The point is, I believe the porting of PDroid to ICS was successful.
If you decide to install a PDroid packages and think you've found a leak, please let me know. But be aware, many of the leaks we thought we had found in testing turned out to be data that was running through a gapp, not the app we thought was skirting the permission block.

If you would like to have PDroid on your ICS Nook, here is how to do it.

EDIT I did a much better job with the directions on my own thread. So as not to confuse, I have removed the directions that were here. Find the (Easy!) directions here

I am distributing the packages through Botbrew because it is flat out the best way to do it. Flashable zips just go out of date too often and break installs. This way, the package will only be used by compatible devices and will be up to date probably before eyeballer and sam post their builds.

Try it out and let me know how you like it!

I want to thank pastime1971 for his work developing this port and inportb for hosting the packages, script editing, and general awesomeness.

Last edited:

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
I posted this in the v6/Pdroid package thread already, but...

I have made some patches which have been confirmed to bring PDroid to CM9 roms for other devices. But I need some more testers.

If you have another device (not encore) that you are willing to test a patch on, please read/respond here.

I am pretty sure this will work for any CM9 device, and have hopes for all ICS roms in general. I would appreciate some testers, and you may end up with a functioning PDroid as a reward.;)

Thanks.

gumnaam.sur

Jan 2, 2012
Updates patches for 04-16 Kang Build

For those on Kang 7.2RC1 build, here are the patches for the last update 4/16.

Attachments

• PDroid-v1.32-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-04162012.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 10
  • PDroid-RESTORE-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-04162012.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 8

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
I intend to continue to host PDroid package in Botbrew, because I think it is the best method, especially for nightlies.

But if package management doesn't sound like it's for you, I made an autopatcher for ICS roms.

It works on all CM9 and AOKP roms, on any device.

Right now, the patcher runs on Linux only.

Thanks to my collaborator pastime1971 and svyat for Pdroid itself.

gumnaam.sur

Jan 2, 2012
Updates patches for 05-09 Kang Build

Let me know if you need patches for one of the earlier builds.

Attachments

• PDroid-RESTORE-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-05092012.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
  • PDroid-v1.32-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-05092012.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: mateorod

gumnaam.sur

Jan 2, 2012
Updates patches for 05-18 Kang Build

Packages for the 5/18 build

Attachments

• PDroid-v1.32-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-05182012.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 14
  • PDroid-RESTORE-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-05182012.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: legoverse

gumnaam.sur

Jan 2, 2012
Updates patches for 05-27 Kang Build

For 5/27 build

Attachments

• PDroid-v1.32-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-05272012.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 10
  • PDroid-RESTORE-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-05272012.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 5

gumnaam.sur

Jan 2, 2012
Updates patches for 06-08 Kang Build

For 06/08 Build.

Attachments

• PDroid-v1.32-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-06082012.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 11
  • PDroid-RESTORE-encore_CM72-MiRaGe-06082012.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Patch

Here's my patch for the MiRaGe Kang Build CM-7.2-RC0, build date 01-13-2012.
    I made the patch on Ubuntu 11.x 32bit.

It works perfectly for me. The only time I get SOD, is when I keep WIFI on all the time, and the nook goes to deep sleep. But that SOD is regardless of whether I have pdroid installed or not. So I am sure pdroid has nothing to do with that SOD.

When WIFI off is set to 'never when charging' then I don't get any SOD.

Hope some of you can find this patch useful. and if so, please click 'THANKS'.

Paranoia is a very healthy thing ;)
    You requested and I had a minute so here you go. This is patched for the latest stable for CM7.1 for the Nook Color of course. ;)

**As usual the disclaimers of me not being responsible for what happens to your devices is stated! Whatever you do, just don't blame it on me, go ahead and "blame it on the rain" if you want! :p **

PDroid Patch for Nook Color-CyanogenMod 7.1:

PDroid Restore Patch for Nook Color-CyanogenMod 7.1:

Enjoy! :D

-Racks
    patches Kang Build 02012012

Patches for the latest Kang Build (02012012).

Stay paranoid :)
    Patch Ver 1.32 against 03/23 build

Latest Patch (ver 1.32) against latest build 03/24.

Note the last patch I uploaded was ver 1.27, and this is the latest one 1.32
    Yeah, I the Shark apps could definitely use some love from the developer. He's an xda member, so maybe he'll hear our pleas. I never got shark updater (which comes packaged with the Reader) to work correctly, which would be awesome, because it supposedly gives the ability to tag packets and analyze the outgoing data.

I do use them though. The main tool is the firewall, and its logs. We all know Google gets a ton of our info, it's kind of the cost of doing business with Android. If you look at your app list, say through Droidwall (every app I am going to discuss is free in the market, I cannot buy apps on this device, and which has necessitated some work around.. That said, I haven't found a paid way to do this that is demonstrably easier) how many of the apps functionality depends on the Internet that aren't Google or some other massive company? I bet it is fewer than you think.

Block those apps, kernel and root, and any others that are even mildly unknown quantities. Consider this their Probationary period. Run the device awhile and show the log. All blocked packet transfers are recorded, with their destination IPs listed. An Internet search on those addresses make it pretty clear what is trustworthy and what isn't.

I then use Shark apps to record some traffic and trace any unrecognized IPs. This isn't as hard as it sounds. Anything starting with 74 is Google, and we have removed the pointless data gathering of any unnecessarily permitted apps. If somethings amiss, I just freeze the likely suspects one of by one until the offending traffic disappears.

I know this sounds like a ton of work, but depending on the size of your app drawer, not counting time letting the logs accrue, it's only a couple of hours. Depending on how many chances you take with non-market apps, or smaller developers, you may be surprised at how secure you already are.

The real payoff for the work comes into play now. With this process you can be at a baseline safety. Any apps you install are blocked at installation by default through the firewall. After installing an app, wait a few minutes and check the log before allowing them Internet access. Most suspicious apps, and many above board ones, send the most data packets upon installation, so you will pretty much see the breadth of their communications list in those first few minutes. It doesn't take but a few minutes to vet their traffic, and and decide if they are above board or not. I do this with every app I install, although with many you can just block them from the network permanently, and just keep an eye on tam over time. When I check my logs now, I only see blocked kernel traffic. None of my installed apps amending anything wouldn't want them too, and I know it for sure.

Most apps aren't necessarily trying to directly steal from you, and but some do try to profit by selling your info. I use the above to stymie those efforts. And to tie this admittedly overlong response back into the thread, I use Pdroid to plug the holes. If they are gonna get through the cracks, and I at least want theninfo to be bad and/or of my choosing.

Look at your app list realistically. There are probably less than a third that truly need Internet access out of the 2/3 to 3/4 that ask for it.. I just block the unnecessary ones and never look back. Disregarding Google and the other behemoths, who are most certainly gathering data, but generally with your knowledge/approval in return for the free services, there are but a handful left to investigate. I find I worry way less after doing the above diligence, which takes a couple hours but is free, easy, and uses way less battery than Lookout and other wastes of space.

Sorry about all that. Got carried away, I suppose. : >)

oh yeah, I came up with this byzantine chicanery only after trying a million traffic monitors and watchdogs. I don't know if it is the ROM or the nook, but per-app wifi traffic just isn't supported. Hence the drawn out process.

Back to your lives, citizens...