[GUIDE] Root, flash a custom recovery and/or S-OFF your Desire HD the "easy" way!

Search This thread

miniterror

Feb 5, 2009
No reaction on my rep:(
Is it a unknown answer or doesnt anybody care about warranty

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Snake-Plissken

Aug 21, 2006
San Francisco
ok guys, i am confused now...i was reading yesterday a little bit about cyanogen mod and really like it. i want to try it, i was reading a lot about how to install, but i am brand new to android.
i have perma rooted allready my dhd right after the figured out how to do it...but i am not sure if i have s-off already or not. i remember i had to run some scripts with gscript lite (it was in the how-to rood instruction to do so)
is there any command how i can check, if i have s-off allready?

Snake-Plissken

Aug 21, 2006
San Francisco
i tried to s-off like on the first page in this thread but when i go to sh /sdcard/DHD/backup

i get "[: not found]"
it says i should use the dumb version instead, whats this?
could it be, that its allready done, because of my perma rooting of my phone? because to root my phone i have a file "hboot_7230_0.85.2007_101011.nb0 already in the rood of my sdcard...

i downloaded the rom manager, and it has the option to "reboot into recovery" can i see there if s-off is good or not? how do i get back out of the recovery? just take battery out?

gkahd

Dec 5, 2010
Hi,

I have a new DHD, am new to this but a bit "literate" with the subject so I know it is dangerous and I am researching all the tools and the lingo used.

There is a lot of info all over the place but it seems, to a large extent, to be outdated or actually there is no specification on when it was last updated and where this applies.

And like the last comment I also do not understand the differences between perm-root and s-off/hboot.

At 1st look they seem to be targeting the same result but the instruction on the zip suggests to do both.

Visionary seems to not be dangerous for bricking but s-off/hboot does.
Also the warning on the 1st entry is
"ONLY flash the bootloader (HBOOT) aka "S-OFF" if you understand what it is, what it does, what it can do and how it can brick your phone if flashing it fails."

Can I ask what is it? and what does it do?
googling s-off got me security off and insinuated rooting which is done by visionary+.

So I am quite confused!

Please help...

Thanks

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
Been away for a while.

The dumb version is included with the archive, just rename it like you did with the smart version. You also failed the brain check ;)

To get into the bootloader turn off the phone and boot it with volume down pressed. You need to turn off fastboot in settings first or flick out the battery.

fatalefout

Aug 19, 2010
Okay, i think something went wrong somewhere so I'm looking for some help here.

What I did:

Download/install Android Terminal Emulator
Download/install Rom Manager
Download/install Visionary+ r14

In Visionary+:
Checked Set system r/w after root
Temprooted
Permrooted

(everything worked fine, su worked, no problems)

then downloaded HBOOT v0.6, copied to sdcard and renamed folder smart to DHD as instructed. (maybe shouldve used dumb ?)

Ran these commands in terminal emulator:
su
sh /sdcard/DHD/check
sh /sdcard/DHD/backup
sh /sdcard/DHD/hboot

All md5sums matched with the right ones, no probs. Rebooted, turned off phone, booted into recovery.
It showed that the phone was S-OFF, all was fine.

Then I may have done something stupid, because I was curious for the simlock option. Clicked it, it said some things failed, rebooted again. Nothing really bad happened except:
-background changed, my home clock stopped working.
-Rom manager started crashing crashing and shutting down

I ran superuser one, tried su, didnt get access, shut it down.
Then:
-Superuser started crashing and shutting down
-Shake them all background started shutting down.
-Actually, all apps other than the standard ones stopped working. (after or before i tried to run recovery?)

I decided to delete superuser and rom manager to reinstall them, but decided to come here first after deleting...

Booted back into recovery(still shows S-OFF), tried IMAGE CRC (stupid again?)
shows:
Calculating... please wait
hboot: 0x812FF6D3
boot: 0x8FA0C456
recovery: 0x915B9FBB
system: 0xA9D804F7

So, i decided i don't want to flash custom roms for the time being, just want to run apps to get no ads and the like. For this i guess root access would suffice, which i seem to have lost.(?)

Tips on how to flash S-ON back and get root access back safely?

Last edited:

i00

May 7, 2008
Brisbane
got a million force closes when i ran check ... thankfully my phone still works after reboot

Any ideas?
Kris

liljom

Mar 13, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
hello people at the dhd part
today i got my dhd coming from windows mobile
i am looking to root it and flash a different rom on it
i have found the manual on how to do so but i cant find how i get back to original for warranty reasons
i have seen original zip images will that be enough?
or are there more parts that has to be changed?
thanks in advance for any tips for this newbie android user:p

zip is enough

miler44

Dec 18, 2010
I attempted the following steps and i'm not sure if I've rooted my system or not. I typed SU in terminal emulator it prompts me access denied. Prior to that I had to force close many of my apps. And one of the is the superuser.

Is there a way to recover from this? thanks

1) Download Paul's Visionary+ tool
1.1) Click here to download http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...ne-click-root/ or download it from here http://xdaforums.com/atta...3&d=1290501865
1.2) Install Visionary+ on Your DHD
1.3) Run it, enable "Set system r/w after root
1.4) Click "Temproot Now!" - Wait until it's finished
1.5) Click Attempt Permroot Now!
1.6) DHD automatically reboot's
To test that everything went fine download from market application "terminal emulator"
run it, type su <------- Unable to proceed from here

Reactions: afrcom15

afrcom15

Sep 13, 2010
Cornwall
I attempted the following steps and i'm not sure if I've rooted my system or not. I typed SU in terminal emulator it prompts me access denied. Prior to that I had to force close many of my apps. And one of the is the superuser.

1.1) Click here to download http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...ne-click-root/ or download it from here http://xdaforums.com/atta...3&d=1290501865
To test that everything went fine download from market application "terminal emulator"

Reboot your phone and try as follows:

click VISIONary leave everything unchecked, click temproot then attempt permroot

Proceed with terminal emulator part

Adeela20

Nov 9, 2010
Bradford
md5sum: cant open ' /sdcard/DHD/hboot_check.nb0' : No such file or directory
df4fd77f44993eb05a4732210d2eddc6 << CORRECT MD5
md5sum: cant open ' /sdcard/DHD/hboot_orig0.bin : no such file or directory

what does this mean, am i safe to reboot,
thanks =]

coendeurloo

Dec 7, 2010
I have followed the guide here on XDA using visionary, this mod, and then rom manager to install the clockwork mod. Now, I want to go back to the original bootloader. This script made a backup of the original bootloader right? with the DHD/Backup script? How can I recover it? Will this make my bootloader 'stock' again?

I'm wondering because there is a new OTA update for the DHD, but I can't install it because of the clockwork recovery bootloader...

So basically, which SH commands do I have to run in terminal to undo this? And, will this also undo the installation of the clockwork recovery?

Last edited:

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
See this:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9985360&postcount=5

Please keep in mind that after you go to stock and do the OTA update, you cannot root again, or S-OFF again. I would advice to at least try doing the OTA before you do S-ON, just flash stock ROM according to the instructions. Also you could wait for 1.73 based custom ROMs.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] Root, flash a custom recovery and/or S-OFF your Desire HD the "easy" way!

PLEASE DO NOT HOST MY FILES ELSEWHERE ALSO REPORT ERRORS ABOUT IT HERE AND NOT IN ANY OTHER THREADS!

UPDATE: Uploaded a new version with a temporary fix for if not working properly on the latest OTA?

!!!WARNING!!!

ONLY flash the bootloader (HBOOT) aka "S-OFF" if you understand what it is, what it does, what it can do and how it can brick your phone if flashing it fails.

I can not be held responsible if your phone bricks, makes nukes drop from the sky and/or makes your wife pregnant.

Assuming you have the Android SDK (adb) in working order, some basic knowledge of how to use it and experience using the console for those cases something does go tits up.

=====

Requirements: Android Terminal Emulator (from market), the archive attached to this post and a way to extract it to your SD card (file manager, PC, etc).

VISIONairy+ r12 (or higher) is as of v0.5 ONLY needed for rooting your phone, if you already have root you can skip this!

Download and extract the archive to the root of your SD card and read the included instructions (RTFM.txt).

If the first and second MD5 sums match, HBOOT is flashed correctly.
    If the first and third MD5 sums match, HBOOT is not flashed at all and your phone still works like nothing happened.
    If the first does not match second or third, something went wrong and you should NOT reboot your phone but seek help on the forums here!

In the last case, you could first try the hboot script again if that doesn't work something went awfully wrong and you should report back here ASAP but whatever you do ... DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR PHONE

=====

Credits goto all who made this possible: Scotty, tmzt (eMMC write), Paul (MoDaCo) (VISIONairy+ root) and adwinp (first working S-OFF post).
    (If I left some person out of it just sent me a message and I will correct it)
    Hey guys, I've just completed rooting my DHD but can't seem to set r/w permissions for /system. I have tried setting the r/w permissions via Terminal Emulator, adb shell and the clockwork mod recovery (Currently set to 'mount' and if I change to unmount and reboot it will set back to mount).
    Every time I enter into Root Explorer it will be set as r/w until I move into the /system folder where it will switch to r/o and the 'Mount R/W' tab doesn't switch it.
    Can anyone tell me what I might be missing?
    It's set to S-OFF and everything went ok during the root process, I just want to get rid of the bloatware apps.
    Thanks for any help.

If you are able to manually remount rw and it changes back to ro, it seems like something is switching it back?

You can also remove programs with TitaniumBackup, but remounting rw should not switch back automatically.

Din feeling is right, abort, get stock rom and try again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk