Simpler instructions for installing modified recovery image

Search This thread

JJC1138

Mar 4, 2008
Here are some instructions for installing JesusFreke's modified recovery image. You have to install the modified recovery image before you can install modified firmwares. These instructions are simpler than the existing ones because they don't require the use of adb or telnet.

Firstly, you need to already have firmware version RC29 or RC7. To check which version you have go to "Settings" and then "About phone". At the bottom you will see a "Build number" which will include "RC" and then a number. If you have RC30 or RC8 then you need to downgrade. THAT WILL WIPE ALL THE DATA/APPLICATIONS ON YOUR PHONE. Instructions for downgrading are here.

Now that you have RC29/RC7:

1. Download 'AndroidMod.zip' from one of the links in JesusFreke's post
  2. Extract 'recovery_testkeys.img' from that zip and copy it to your SD card.
  3. Download 'install.zip' which is attached to this post below.
  4. Extract 'install' from that zip and copy it to your SD card.
  5. Put the SD card in the phone or disconnect the phone if it is attached by USB.
  6. Reboot the phone (switch it off and then on again).
  7. When it has finished booting type the following at the home screen. It will start searching your contacts, but don't worry about that. Also, you won't see any visible sign that the first command worked. Just go ahead and type the second command straight afterwards:

cd sdcard<press enter>
    sh install<press enter>

After a moment your phone should reboot itself. To check that the flashing worked, switch off the phone and then hold down the home key while you switch it on again. Keep the home key held down until you see the recovery screen (with the "!" triangle and the picture of the phone). Then press Alt+L on the keyboard and if you see "Using test keys" on the second line of text then the modified recovery image is installed and you can now install a modified firmware.

Attachments

• install.zip
    221 bytes · Views: 3,271
Last edited:

samysam05

Apr 6, 2008
great for beginners!

Hey tried it and it works!! Now how about one on restoring data after backup.

K

korndub

First off thanks for all information here. Am I correct that after I downgrade to rc29 I then follow the instructions in this thread and then I can install jf 1.3 rc30. Or do I have this all wrong?
you are correct. once you have the modded recovery image, you can use jfs update zips.

you are correct. once you have the modded recovery image, you can use jfs update zips.

Sweet! Thanks for the reply. I will attempt this real soon. Do you have any suggestions before I begin? After I modify the firmware I will not get ota updates anymore right? Lets say the cupcake update, or any other for that matter, does come out. I would just have to wait untill a smarter person then me converts it to a new modified image to flash to my phone? Is that right? Thanks for any help. I'm sure this is probably the worng place to ask all of these questions. d

bhang

Aug 19, 2006
megalopolis
Sweet! Thanks for the reply. I will attempt this real soon. Do you have any suggestions before I begin? After I modify the firmware I will not get ota updates anymore right? Lets say the cupcake update, or any other for that matter, does come out. I would just have to wait untill a smarter person then me converts it to a new modified image to flash to my phone? Is that right? Thanks for any help. I'm sure this is probably the worng place to ask all of these questions. d

in one of the zips from JF is an app that will REsign any update.zip, so when an ota comes you just have to wait for the update.zip to show up then you could REsign it with the dev keys, pretty easy, but it will probably show up pretty fast now that almost every G1 is probably running that keyset.

bhang

UPDATE..

Its working now...I wasn't doing it in the telnet client. I was just typing it in randomly and it didnt work that way for some reason.

Ok. I have downgraded to rc29 and copied the two images two my sd card. but I'm not sure if I even have root. When I try to change directory it doesnt happen. I have to have root by installing the modified rc29 right? I did type telnetd at the home screen and pushed enter. nothing happened. I know I'm missing something just not sure what yet? I did install the telnet client from the market as well. I'm not understanding something it appears. Anyone? :)

Last edited:

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
UPDATE..

Its working now...I wasn't doing it in the telnet client. I was just typing it in randomly and it didnt work that way for some reason.

Ok. I have downgraded to rc29 and copied the two images two my sd card. but I'm not sure if I even have root. When I try to change directory it doesnt happen. I have to have root by installing the modified rc29 right? I did type telnetd at the home screen and pushed enter. nothing happened. I know I'm missing something just not sure what yet? I did install the telnet client from the market as well. I'm not understanding something it appears. Anyone? :)

use the telnet client to telnet to localhost. *then* you will have root. (note: that's only applicable for RC29. to get root on JFv1.3, just type su in terminal emulator).

To know if you have root access, check the prompt you get. if you get #, then you have root access. if you get $, you don't have root access.

use the telnet client to telnet to localhost. *then* you will have root. (note: that's only applicable for RC29. to get root on JFv1.3, just type su in terminal emulator).

To know if you have root access, check the prompt you get. if you get #, then you have root access. if you get $, you don't have root access.

I got the # :)

Thanks so much for everything so far..This is really awesome!!

JJC1138

Mar 4, 2008
UPDATE..

Hi there. I just wanted to clarify that if you're following the instructions I posted then you don't need telnet.

Ok. I have downgraded to rc29 and copied the two images two my sd card. but I'm not sure if I even have root. When I try to change directory it doesnt happen. I have to have root by installing the modified rc29 right?
No, you don't need the modified RC29 to do this. After you type the "cd sdcard<enter>" command nothing visible should happen. It works because the bug in RC29 which we are exploiting executes everything you type on a hidden root console, so the cd command works, but it just doesn't show you anything. Then you enter the second "sh install<enter>" command and that runs a script that does all the good stuff and then reboots.

Hi there. I just wanted to clarify that if you're following the instructions I posted then you don't need telnet.

No, you don't need the modified RC29 to do this. After you type the "cd sdcard<enter>" command nothing visible should happen. It works because the bug in RC29 which we are exploiting executes everything you type on a hidden root console, so the cd command works, but it just doesn't show you anything. Then you enter the second "sh install<enter>" command and that runs a script that does all the good stuff and then reboots.

Thanks for the reply and for simplifying this for everyone. I was confused at first but now I understand better. I have the modified RC30 working now with the dev boot loader as well. Oh and a new theme too. Thanks again!!!

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007

Correct, this is a really good idea! Instead of typeing telnetd to start it as root, you are typing in and running the script that will root your phone-- as root! I'll update my sticky post shortly.