Sideload Apps

Search This thread

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010
Do you need to be rooted to sideload apps?
I do not think so but I read if you want to install Nova Launcher you need to move the APK, you need to be rooted.

chuko303

Dec 24, 2011
colorado
I prefer to have OTA updates and not worry about my $300 watch not booting up or anything else rooting causes. Stock with smart launcher and a game & calculator and my gta 5 cheats on my wrist. Don't need to have a mini phone on my wrist lol the idea is awesome but hell no in not willing to take the risk. So much procedures too

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Willy318is

Sep 22, 2004
Pasadena
I prefer to have OTA updates and not worry about my $300 watch not booting up or anything else rooting causes. Stock with smart launcher and a game & calculator and my gta 5 cheats on my wrist. Don't need to have a mini phone on my wrist lol the idea is awesome but hell no in not willing to take the risk. So much procedures too

Exactly ;)

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012

that's unture. it's definetly not complicated. follow the guide and you're done. that's over exaggerating. brakes in your car may stop working anytime but that doesn't stop you from using the car.
but of course some people are happy with the notifications and ugly touchwiz ui. each to his own :) but me and many other people would not even consider keeping gear if not custom rom that fomey has provided us. he is the true smartwatch maker.

Reactions: Samuel Sung

danyvw

Dec 28, 2010
LOL. I'm one of them. I bought my Gear because of the posibility of installing null ROM. I would never paid $300 for having the Gear as it came from factory.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Samuel Sung

ronfurro

Oct 24, 2013
O-Town
Is there any reputable people who will do the root and custom recovery for people who are tech. challenged or who don't want to take the risk? I had my Motoactv pimped out by a developer for $40 bucks. He installed all kinds of cool apps. and did adjustments in all the setting that I would have never been able to figure out or even thought of. Basically I just asked him to make my watch like his. That would be cool if someone did that for the Gear who was reputable and trustworthy within the development community.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
Is there any reputable people who will do the root and custom recovery for people who are tech. challenged or who don't want to take the risk? I had my Motoactv pimped out by a developer for $40 bucks. He installed all kinds of cool apps. and did adjustments in all the setting that I would have never been able to figure out or even thought of. Basically I just asked him to make my watch like his. That would be cool if someone did that for the Gear who was reputable and trustworthy within the development community.

40 usd for putting apps on a watch? wow, someone got free money for few minutes of work... ;)
my advice - just try to do it yourself. you won't burn your gear, in worst case you will just let someone else finish it if you want.. but if you succeed just consider donating that money to the creator of the rom.

ronfurro

Oct 24, 2013
O-Town
Lol, maybe but It was very much worth it to me. Much less stress and hassle.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Bought the watch, loaded 50+ faces on it. Gonna Sideload some apps via adb. Oh yeah and running Null and paired with my One Max.

Stop being fraidy cats. Experience life

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

ronfurro

Oct 24, 2013
O-Town
uploadfromtaptalk1391640949662.jpg
Me scared to plug Gear into Mac for rooting.

dan04103

Apr 3, 2007
Null is fantastic and I still get tw launcher for stock look. Win win for me

jctbss

Jul 13, 2012
Anyone in los Angeles willing to root watch for me? I'm willing to pay!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

gingerdude

Apr 23, 2012
We all have our own methods for side loading APK's, here's mine :)
Download myappsharer or similar from play store to phone, open app this presents you with list of APK's on phone , select desired app and click share apk via Bluetooth, you will see the gear listed...select and your done. Once transfer is complete use your fav file browser to navigate to sdcard/bluetooth folder on gear and install. EASY :D

Sent from my LG-V500 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: jzarfos

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
Download myappsharer or similar from play store to phone, open app this presents you with list of APK's on phone , select desired app and click share apk via Bluetooth, you will see the gear listed...select and your done. Once transfer is complete use your fav file browser to navigate to sdcard/bluetooth folder on gear and install. EASY :D

I dont see my gear listed. Does the gear have to be rooted?

gingerdude

Apr 23, 2012
Hi ... Your gear should already be connected to your phone by Bluetooth , so it should be highlighted in blue at top of list after you click share by bluetooth. After it is shared you would need a file browser on the gear to install the APK's. The advantage of this method is no PC is required and all is done between phone and gear. Don't think you need to be rooted but would need adb or Wonder share to get file browser on gear in the 1st place.
..........no PC is required AFTER you have a file browser installed on the watch.
Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

that's unture. it's definetly not complicated. follow the guide and you're done. that's over exaggerating. brakes in your car may stop working anytime but that doesn't stop you from using the car.
    but of course some people are happy with the notifications and ugly touchwiz ui. each to his own :) but me and many other people would not even consider keeping gear if not custom rom that fomey has provided us. he is the true smartwatch maker.
    LOL. I'm one of them. I bought my Gear because of the posibility of installing null ROM. I would never paid $300 for having the Gear as it came from factory.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    i would do it for a bottle of a good wine ;) but i'm in europe so that's a no i think..