[Q] Increase signal (radio) power on nexus 5

Search This thread

mmojica53

May 30, 2014
Hi, I've been searching about the problem and I didn't found anything.

Here is the thing, I compare the nexus 5 LTE signal strength with the iphone 5s and when iPhone has 2 or more LTE bars, the nexus 5 doesn't get bars, even the nexus switch to 3g and the overall of the LTE is unstable compared with iPhone. That comparison is based on medium LTE signal strength with the same carrier at&t.

I saw a post it is possible by software increase the Wi-Fi signal strength, so my question is, can I increase the signal (radio) strength?

I've been trying flash different radios, build. Prop tweaks, change the prl preference, anything I found in Google, but noting happen.

Last edited:

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
you can try adding these 4 lines to your build.prop(and reboot)..

ro.ril.hsxpa=3
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=27
ro.ril.hsupa.category=7
Did you find this really works? curious...
are these only for LTE or like a universal setting for data signal?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Did you find this really works? curious...
are these only for LTE or like a universal setting for data signal?

works for 3G/lte. what it does is it lets you get to your top data speeds faster, making it feel like your connection is better/higher quality. it might improve data speed as well. i have a thread with these lines, most people say they got a difference, while some didnt have any difference. you cam try, it wont hurt for sure :)

mmojica53

May 30, 2014

ro.ril.hsxpa=3
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=27
ro.ril.hsupa.category=7

I already have those lines in my build. Prop

These are my parameters
Code:
ro.ril.enable.dtm=0 
ro.ril.gprsclass=10 
ro.ril.hep=0 
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1 
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8 
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6 
ro.ril.hsxpa=2 
ro.ril.enable.a53=1

I put the parameters you post, and I didn't see difference. I post screenshot of my signal

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-30-11-53-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-30-11-53-40.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,623
  • Screenshot_2014-05-30-11-51-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-30-11-51-42.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,591
Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
You've got really great signal if the dBm and asu is anything to go by. I get much lower than that. The bars are not to be used for comparison. Try and compare dBm or asu to the iPhone not "bars"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

These are my parameters
Code:
ro.ril.enable.dtm=0 
ro.ril.gprsclass=10 
ro.ril.hep=0 
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8 
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6 
ro.ril.hsxpa=2 
ro.ril.enable.a53=1

I put the parameters you post, and I didn't see difference. I post screenshot of my signal

hmm.. whatever rom you are using is using old lines from a much lessor device! looks like they just add in anything to your rom without actually looking what it does. get rid of those lines, and copy/paste those four lines i posted only, with their numbers. then save it and reboot for it to take affect.

Reactions: mmojica53

mmojica53

May 30, 2014
You've got really great signal if the dBm and asu is anything to go by. I get much lower than that. The bars are not to be used for comparison. Try and compare dBm or asu to the iPhone not "bars"

OK, but I mean in areas when I do not have coverage the iPhone has.

hmm.. whatever rom you are using is using old lines from a much lessor device! looks like they just add in anything to your rom without actually looking what it does. get rid of those lines, and copy/paste those four lines i posted only, with their numbers. then save it and reboot for it to take affect.
OK, I will, thanks for your help, I will post my result

Edit: I put the just the 4 lines and I didn't see difference, -98dbm 42asu obviously I rebooted my phone

Last edited:
Reactions: simms22

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK

Edit: I put the just the 4 lines and I didn't see difference, -98dbm 42asu obviously I rebooted my phone

OK, I'm just saying your bars in particular are giving what I would call a bad indication of signal strength. Just ignore the bars and read the asu. My phone shows full bars at half your asu.. so something is off there.

D

Darth

My N5 is pretty much as good as the wife's Moto x for signal. So I think the N5 does pretty darn good with it's radio! I had to go outside to make calls and even text sometimes on my S2. Lol

mmojica53

May 30, 2014
OK, I'm just saying your bars in particular are giving what I would call a bad indication of signal strength. Just ignore the bars and read the asu. My phone shows full bars at half your asu.. so something is off there.

Actually, I care more when my phone switch to 3G and the iPhone still in LTE stronger. I don't have both phones right now to put the screenshot, by the way, I created this thread to figure out how increase my phone reception.

Last edited:

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
I just added those to my build.prop..

I check the dBm and asu before and after... before I was at around -89dBm and 12asu.. now its -99dBm and 9asu...
So I guess its working? :fingers-crossed:

D

Darth

The only other way is a booster. They're very expensive and better read the reviews on them to get a feel for if they work for people.

In Canada here they are $300 to $400 dollars.

There's really not much else you can do.

Normally I'd say get a Motorola, but as I said, my N5 is about as good as my moto x.

mmojica53

May 30, 2014
Thanks everybody, any other suggestions? I can't believe Android don't allow modify those values by software... I saw a extra antenna, you install that in the back cover but the nexus cover isn't removable, "not for the user"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ro.ril.hsxpa=3
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=27
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=7

These are my parameters
    Code:
    ro.ril.enable.dtm=0 
    ro.ril.gprsclass=10 
    ro.ril.hep=0 
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8 
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=6 
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2 
    ro.ril.enable.a53=1

Just to throw some light on signal strength.
    If i take example of "-67 dBm and 23 ASU"
    -67 dBm is the RSSI(Received Signal Strength Indicator) it is used to show the signal bar in your phone. usually -60 dBm or greater will show full bar nad -110 dBm and lower will show one bar (it depends on the phone os implementation)
    Now comes the ASU which is the main parameter to decide yor throughput.
    ASU is Reference Signal Received Power (RSRP) and is a int value ranging from 0 97. For the range 1 to 96, ASU maps to
    (ASU - 141) ≤ dBm < (ASU - 140).
    The value of 0 maps to RSRP below -140 dBm and the value of 97 maps to RSRP above -44 dBm.
    So higher the value better the data stability and no signal loss.
    I work in LTE development and i have seen that although RSSI is -110 dBm (one bar) and ASU is 63 the throughput of data is good and stable.