AT&T halts 4.4.3 update due to a battery drain issue.

Search This thread

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
Also wondering when the fix will come out. I was never pushed the update. Anything major on it?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

skrambled

Mar 2, 2011
New Hampshire
Also wondering when the fix will come out. I was never pushed the update. Anything major on it?

For anyone still having the battery drain issue, Factory Data Reset seems to fix the problem entirely. I was so pissed off that I had to do this that I decided to just go ahead and root the thing, and get back on CM. I was trying to wait for the six-month screen replacement warranty to end, but after the three-hour long process to gain root and S-Off, and then flash CM, it was well worth voiding my warranty. Life is better now :good:

HitShane

Aug 25, 2014
Is that really battery calibration on these devices?

I don't think it is a real way In my opinion the only way to calibrate the phone. It's charging to 100%then let it discharge to 0% once a month. I don't think pressing 3 physical buttons for 3 minutes will calibrate the phone

The first way to calibrate the M8 battery is through Recovery. Turn your phone off and boot it into Recovery mode. Using the volume up and down buttons select wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache. This will automatically reset the HTC One M8 battery. Even better, you should do a factory reset. In Recovery select wipe data option.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ry-charger-reset-procedure-htc-one-m7-m8.html Yes this is how you are supposed to reset the battery with an HTC.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries Never completely discharge a Lithium-Ion battery.

-Shane

t5620

Aug 12, 2014
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ry-charger-reset-procedure-htc-one-m7-m8.html Yes this is how you are supposed to reset the battery with an HTC.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries Never completely discharge a Lithium-Ion battery.

-Shane

You might be right about the never discharge a lithium battery, but there is no real evidence about that calibration method except a random dude stating that info came directly from htc support. I've looked on htc support page and didn't find any info about it

dr_g

Aug 2, 2012
I was one of the first who had done this update.

The battery drain was extreme. I noticed it immediately after I installed the update. The phone would heat a lot. Turning the phone off and on wouldn't help. The OEM charger wouldn't keep up with the battery drain unless I turned the phone off completely -- this gives you an idea how severe the drain was.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that it would take about half hour to install or install an app in the Google Play store. So, this must be related to the battery-drain issue directly or indirectly.

The phone was unusable.

The most surprising thing was that after a few days, extreme-battery-drain problem went away spontaneously! I didn't do anything and I don't know how the problem corrected itself.

However, I feel that with the 4.4.3 update, battery still drains faster than with the factory 4.4.2 OS. It's no longer extreme drain anymore but I feel that battery life isn't as good as with the factory 4.4.2 OS, perhaps worse about 20%. So, there is still room to improve and go back to at least the factory 4.4.2 OS battery life.

HitShane

Aug 25, 2014
You might be right about the never discharge a lithium battery, but there is no real evidence about that calibration method except a random dude stating that info came directly from htc support. I've looked on htc support page and didn't find any info about it

The phone was fine from the time I did a factory reset and cleared the cache. The file was not on the HTC support site on Sat night but was on the site Sunday night when I downloaded it. Maybe they had already fixed it? Either way my battery life has been great. I use my phone a lot and don't connect to my Wifi often because I game a lot over my home network. I did read an email copy pasted from HTC support on how to sync the battery with that method. There is also built in HTC tools for the phone including a battery test you can access by entering a special code into the dialer.

"And finally, while it's not technically a feature, Sense 6 comes with a built-in function test that can be used by technicians to diagnose the device. To activate this hidden menu, open your Phone app and dial *#*#3424*#*#* "

Either way, mine works great ;)

-Shane

Reactions: BrianBaker

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
Is there any word on when they will re release the update? It was never pushed to me.

iggdawg

May 8, 2011
Boston, MA
www.iggdawg.com
I ran this to troubleshoot some data issues I've been having, and 2 things I noticed that may or may not have to do with perceived battery drain (and interesting notes either way):

- "ok google anywhere" is an option in Google Now, where before I don't think the "anywhere" option was there. if users configure this, they'll definitely see more drain.

- the APN is different from before from what I can tell. before the APN was named "ATT Phone" with APN "phone", and now it's named "ATT Nextgenphone" with APN "nxtgenphone". not sure at all what impact this has on anything, but it's something different that's radio related.

I'm still poking around to see what else is different. but for what it's worth I haven't seen a big difference in battery life yet.

bruce7373

Apr 28, 2012
Los Angeles
I have the unbranded version (BS_US001) I bought from Amazon. It upgraded right away to 4.4.3 from HTC. The APN was Phone and, although it would indicate it was on the LTE network (AT&T, Los Angeles), I could never get more than 5Mb down, as if it were on HSPA.

I installed the AT&T RUU and immediately my speed shot up to 35-40Mb. The APN was now Nxtgenphone. What I've since read is Phone is used for H/H+ (4G), while Nxtgenphone is for LTE. But I have no idea how accurate that is.

The RUU's radio was also different. But I have been unable to ascertain if either of these two things, or both, are the reason for this dramatic speed increase.

As for Google Anywhere, I use it and have not seen any difference in battery consumption. In fact, I've been quite impressed with the M8's battery life overall.

t5620

Aug 12, 2014
well HTC or ATT should fix this immediately or i definitely going to switch to an Iphone 6 plus as soon as they're out for sale I'm done with all this updates mess with android phones.

Last edited:

iggdawg

May 8, 2011
Boston, MA
www.iggdawg.com
well HTC or ATT should fix this immediately or i definitely going to switch to an Iphone 6 plus as soon as they're out for sale I'm done with all this updates mess with android phones.

what issue? you said you were having no issues whatsoever.

Also, a single "full charge -> full discharge -> full charge" sequence will properly calibrate a lithium battery. your device is constantly hitting full charge, so as long as you let it fully discharge once in a while you're more or less always calibrated.

t5620

Aug 12, 2014
I'm not having the issue cause I update via the RUU instead of using the OTA but It would have been easier to update via OTA instead of having to delete all and run the RUU that's why I'm complaining

Last edited:

BrianBaker

Dec 15, 2009
Apopka FL
Sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to justify purchasing an iPhone 6..Do you have a problem with the update or not?

its_dale

Nov 26, 2012
that's what it looks like. You wanted the update so bad and youre complaining you had to work around to get it instead of doing it OTA. Upset cuz the OTA never got to you.

PwnCakes193

Apr 3, 2009
Somewhere, Someplace
I have the unbranded version (BS_US001) I bought from Amazon. It upgraded right away to 4.4.3 from HTC. The APN was Phone and, although it would indicate it was on the LTE network (AT&T, Los Angeles), I could never get more than 5Mb down, as if it were on HSPA.

I installed the AT&T RUU and immediately my speed shot up to 35-40Mb. The APN was now Nxtgenphone. What I've since read is Phone is used for H/H+ (4G), while Nxtgenphone is for LTE. But I have no idea how accurate that is.

The RUU's radio was also different. But I have been unable to ascertain if either of these two things, or both, are the reason for this dramatic speed increase.

As for Google Anywhere, I use it and have not seen any difference in battery consumption. In fact, I've been quite impressed with the M8's battery life overall.

Any chance you can provide the apn details? AFAIK att still uses the phone apn. I was just in contact with them earlier this week about the same data speed issues and they said phone was the defacto default for now.

bruce7373

Apr 28, 2012
Los Angeles
Any chance you can provide the apn details? AFAIK att still uses the phone apn. I was just in contact with them earlier this week about the same data speed issues and they said phone was the defacto default for now.

That may be the case, I'm no expert, but from the little bit I've Googled, "phone" is for HSPA+ (4G) and "nxtgenphone" is/will be for Voice over LTE (VoLTE) whenever AT&T rolls that out. "Phone" definitely works, but the speeds are consistent with H/H+. All I know is that after running AT&T's own RUU, the only APN on my phone is "ATT nxtgenphone" and it works.

The settings are basically the same as "phone," Just give it a name like "ATT Nxtgenphone" and simply put "nxtgenphone" (w/out quotes) in the APN slot. I don't remember if "phone" had a setting for MMS protocol, but here it's WAP 2.0. APN type = default,fota,mms,supl,hipri

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROM I released havent had any battery drain from 4.4.3
    I updated via OTA to 4.4.3 and have had excellent battery life

The phone was fine from the time I did a factory reset and cleared the cache. The file was not on the HTC support site on Sat night but was on the site Sunday night when I downloaded it. Maybe they had already fixed it? Either way my battery life has been great. I use my phone a lot and don't connect to my Wifi often because I game a lot over my home network. I did read an email copy pasted from HTC support on how to sync the battery with that method. There is also built in HTC tools for the phone including a battery test you can access by entering a special code into the dialer.

"And finally, while it's not technically a feature, Sense 6 comes with a built-in function test that can be used by technicians to diagnose the device. To activate this hidden menu, open your Phone app and dial *#*#3424*#*#* "

Either way, mine works great ;)

-Shane