The populairty of apple explained, despite the 4g

Search This thread

htc fan89

Jun 12, 2009
Ottawa,Vaudreuil-Dorion and NYC
I know I might sound hypocrite when i said " iphone 4 stinks" I also realized I bought the first iphone and the second one. why? I thought it would be awesome to have an iphone with 3G. But, it wasn't great... so, I got an real smartphone tytn 2 ,x1a etc and Now I'm going be getting x10.

anyway, Apple's just an brand name that people think is going be amazing but, for me it turned out to be garbage.

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
26757_412269159895_707804895_5279932_2797519_n.jpg

http://mashable.com/2010/08/01/pc-defeats-mac/

Last edited:

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/216012/the-psychology-of-fanboyism/

The Psychology of Fanboyism

* by Andrew Groen
* August 03, 2010 11:15 AM PT

In order to understand what motivates "fanboys" and "fangirls," we investigate the behaviors behind video-game fanaticism with the help of esteemed psychologists, authors, and experts on the subject.

All gamers eventually encounter one. The fanboy and fangirl, who you can find lurking on message boards or can hear shrieking over headsets on Xbox Live, are by no means a recent phenomenon-the first recorded use of the term "fanboy" dates back nearly a century to 1919. First used to describe passionate boxing fans-and later comic-book readers who prided themselves on knowing their cherished fictional universes inside and out-the word has since devolved as a description of immature and often obnoxious behavior in the world of video games.

But what makes fanboys tick? Why do so many take such a militant stance over their video-game console of choice, especially when the differences between consoles such as the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 are minute when it comes to the average gamer's concerns? The vast majority of major game releases are multiplatform titles, and they offer essentially the same experience regardless of your console of choice. So why do so many fanboys develop a strong attachment to one game platform while rejecting the other with equal passion? With the help of psychologists and authorities on the subject, we seek to learn what motivates fanboy behavior and why it has become a pejorative term.

Illustration by Andrew Yang
We Didn't Start the Fire
There is a phenomenon whereby an object becomes part of a person's 'extended self.' If an individual is really into gaming, for example, his or her console may become an important part of his or her identity." -Dr. Lars Perner, Professor of Consumer Psychology at the University of Southern California

Video games did not spawn this type of zealous behavior; they're merely the latest, most visible host for this often vicious intellectual virus. Fanboy flame wars raged years before video-gaming ultranationalists took up arms in the Nintendo Entertainment System vs. Sega Genesis days-or even when the Intellivision stoked the fires of Atari 2600 loyalists. Of course, before video games, fanaticism of this kind often took the form of religious or sports debates.

Patrick Hanlon, author of the award-winning advertising psychology book Primal Branding: Create Zealots for Your Company, Your Brand, and Your Future, suggests that this kind of behavior has been a part of humanity since cavemen argued over which type of spearhead was best suited for taking down mammoths. Furthermore, he says the closer the community around a debate like this gets, the harder it becomes to quit.

"Whenever you bundle a group of people with similar beliefs and ideals together, it becomes harder for them to leave individually," says Hanlon, who has worked with Bungie on Halo's advertising campaigns. "If they stop, they lose the respect of the other members of the community. They feel like a member of a community there and nowhere else, and this exaggerated sense of belonging is the same as the communities that battle over Democrats vs. Republicans or Mac vs. PC." He adds that this perceived loss of camaraderie can cause people to remain part of a community against their best interests. "It's the same case with any kind of zealotry."

It's easy to see why people get up in arms about religion-few things are more important to a person's sense of identity than their faith. It gets fuzzier, though, when linking that behavior to a person's allegiance to something like a video-game console.

How can a 10-pound hunk of plastic and soldered silicon affect us in the same way as one's creed or political party? Perhaps even more important, why do we see this kind of fervor in the debate over video-game consoles and not other types of products? After all, you're not likely to find flame wars between consumers of Count Chocula and Cocoa Puffs.

"Some types of products are 'low involvement.' They don't define one as an individual," says Laurence Minsky, a professor of advertising at Columbia College Chicago, a private arts and media institution. "They tend not to cost much, so the impact of purchasing is small. In other words: If the purchase is a mistake, no big deal. Other products, where the implications of purchase are greater due to price, need for research, and [their] ability to broadcast one's personality and beliefs, tend to be 'high involvement'." "High involvement" is where video-game consoles fit in. Not only do they constitute a highly emotional purchasing decision, but their very nature expands their role in the lives of players.

"Consoles are so responsive and interactive, the technology blurs the line between animate and inanimate objects," says Dr. Nando Pelusi, a psychologist and expert in cognitive behavioral therapy. The beginning of fanboy habits seems to stem directly from the very joy of gaming itself. "Electronics engage you emotionally," Hanlon says. "They start the dopamine drip."

Illustration by Andrew Yang
The Seven Chief Virtues
Electronics engage you emotionally. They start the dopamine drip." -Dr. Nando Pelusi, Psychologist and Expert on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

While the high-involvement theory explains some of the strong emotions exhibited by fanboys, it doesn't account for how gamers go about selecting which console is worthy of their loyalties. It's unlikely that something as simple as the $50 annual fee to access Xbox Live Gold membership-which is often brought up in "PS3 vs. Xbox 360" debates since Sony does not currently charge consumers for their PlayStation Network-would be enough to indoctrinate gamers so thoroughly that we have things like the Sony Defense Force, a website that claims it's on "a mission to give honest news about all things PlayStation" but often mercilessly rips anything to do with Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii to shreds.

"Console fanboyism stems from gamers wanting their system of preference to be popular so it gets the most developer support," says Rob Foor, who runs Sony Defense Force. He singles out Sony when explaining the various reasons why gamers can become fanboys. "What factors make a console fanboy get behind a specific console? Games, price, loyalty, nostalgia, functionality, and friends. For example, a gamer could own a Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 but still favor a PS3. Maybe they are used to the controller layout; maybe they love Sony's exclusive games; maybe their friends own a PS3 and they want to play online together; maybe they grew up with the original PlayStation and are comfortable with Sony branded systems; or maybe they just 'trust' Sony more than Microsoft or Nintendo."

When it comes to the argument that fanboyism derives from the fact that video-game consoles are expensive, making them "high-involvement" purchases, Foor believes the theory is too simplistic. "While I believe the high cost of entry into the console game space is a factor that leads to fanboyism, it is not the only factor nor does it tell the whole story."

In Primal Branding, Hanlon describes his theory on why consumers become so attached to certain brands while remaining apathetic to others, even if they're similar. He describes them as the creation of a belief system and gives seven characteristics of these strong brands: origin story, creed, icons, rituals, pagans (or "nonbelievers"), sacred words, and a leader. In essence, it's the formula for making people feel as though they are part of a team when they purchase a product, and it's not hard to see this lists' relation to the most popular gaming corporations.

Many hardcore gamers wear their allegiance on their sleeve, too. Most know the leaders of the three console manufacturers by face and name; Blizzard fans gather together ritually for BlizzCon as part of the company's massively successful means of binding together their community with games like World of Warcraft; and Nintendo has maintained a fervently loyal following that appears to get stronger with each new generation of gamers.

Out of all of the console manufacturers, Nintendo also seems to have the most virtues Hanlon describes in his book. Nintendo's huge fan base embodies this; its devotees hold a commanding lead over Sony and Microsoft fans in ill-advised tattoos.

Most of the major video-game companies today, however, have strong communities, so these virtues don't fully explain why a gamer chooses one console over another for their undying loyalty. Instead, Pelusi suggests that in the face of multiple enticing choices, "chance and peers are the main ways we get imprinted with the one that feels right." "There is a significant effect of word-of-mouth," agrees Lars Perner, Ph.D., a professor of consumer psychology at the University of Southern California. "If a brand gains a loyal following, reviews and mentions by others will tend to be more credible than paid advertising."
Out-of-Control Emotions

It may seem like a large divide exists between being "imprinted" with an attachment to a particular game console and spewing hate speech on message boards. But the reality is that we often see instances where a deep personal connection to a video-game platform can lead to odious behavior. One explanation as to why some gamers react to attacks or criticisms directed toward their favorite console-in a manner that suggests they are personally offended-is the idea that they view the console as an extension of themselves.

"There is a phenomenon whereby an object becomes part of a person's 'extended self'," says Perner. "If an individual is really into gaming, for example, his or her console may become an important part of his or her identity."

The belief structure of the brand essentially becomes part of their identity. As with religion and political affiliation, it's this sense of identity that causes fanboys to lash out defensively when they feel the ideology comes under attack. "Commitment and passion often lead to irrationality," notes Pelusi. "Commitment also leads to defending your homestead with zeal."

Aside from a commitment to a sense of personal identity, it's also a commitment to a hefty price tag. "There's more thought given to the purchase decision," says Minsky, "more opportunity for buyer's remorse after the purchase, and therefore, a greater need for the purchaser to be reassured he or she made the right choice; in other words, these purchases matter financially and emotionally." While many of the instances of video-game fanboyism we see today begin as something harmless, it can rapidly deteriorate into behavior that's malicious. While these experts have shown us a better understanding of the root of this particular form of fanaticism, we also know that since this phenomenon is nearly as old as humankind itself, it's doubtful that we'll ever be free from the wrath of fanboys. This fanaticism is ingrained in human behavior. The best we can do to counter the most negative examples of this mentality is to try to understand and discourage it, because unfortunately, it's something we'll most likely have to put up with as long as video games exist.

W

watcher64

a cascade of post-decisional dissonance

is why people keep drinking the Kool-aid

Soooo very true ...

Not that most of us, hate MACs , but a lot of us do hate "fan boys", tell you a little story ..

Had a guy that I know, is a big Mac head ...

I built a PC in an old PowerMac case, installed version of OSX(hackintosh), he used the machine for almost a week before he stumbled on some of the stuff that tells you it is a Hackintosh. Now for the first part of the week he was praising the MAC, saying how good the hardware was, (I had explained that the cd drive was broken, so he was using a external , so he did not notice the internal cd drive was missing), claimed how fast it was, sooo much better than a PC. BUT, when he found out it was a PC , it was suddenly CRAP, it sucked, was nothing like a MAC.

Now that is a "fan boy", they can't tell you the real reason they like it better, "IT JUST IS", I have a Hackintosh running, I use from time to time, can't say the UI is soooo superior to Windows 7, hell anything designed with a one button mouse in mind can't be that great.

So to each their own, why does one like Ford over Chevy, it is a never ending battle ..

But to "drink the Kool-Aid" , and just buy into it because it looks pretty or the Ads are cool, does not make you an expert on what the best is ....

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Soooo very true ...

Not that most of us, hate MACs , but a lot of us do hate "fan boys", tell you a little story ..

Had a guy that I know, is a big Mac head ...

I built a PC in an old PowerMac case, installed version of OSX(hackintosh), he used the machine for almost a week before he stumbled on some of the stuff that tells you it is a Hackintosh. Now for the first part of the week he was praising the MAC, saying how good the hardware was, (I had explained that the cd drive was broken, so he was using a external , so he did not notice the internal cd drive was missing), claimed how fast it was, sooo much better than a PC. BUT, when he found out it was a PC , it was suddenly CRAP, it sucked, was nothing like a MAC.

Now that is a "fan boy", they can't tell you the real reason they like it better, "IT JUST IS", I have a Hackintosh running, I use from time to time, can't say the UI is soooo superior to Windows 7, hell anything designed with a one button mouse in mind can't be that great.

So to each their own, why does one like Ford over Chevy, it is a never ending battle ..

But to "drink the Kool-Aid" , and just buy into it because it looks pretty or the Ads are cool, does not make you an expert on what the best is ....

Definitely. Such a great story.

I hate when people that customize their background on myspace think they are programmers. I hate when people that know where the black & white mode on their digital cameras think they are photographers. And I hate when people buy Macs and think they are technological geniuses.

W

watcher64

Definitely. Such a great story.

I hate when people that customize their background on myspace think they are programmers. I hate when people that know where the black & white mode on their digital cameras think they are photographers. And I hate when people buy Macs and think they are technological geniuses.

Forgot to add to my story the reason the guy borrowed that machine was , his Mac was in the shop, and since ONLY Apple could repair it, was gonna take like 2 weeks ...

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
Macs have a much higher resale value than PCs. That makes up for the higher initial cost, I think. And while I would agree that some of the students with Macs buy it because it's "cool," I know plenty of people who legitimately like OS X better than Windows.

But I think for most offices, Macs can do the job just as good as PCs can. Other than some specialized software in certain fields, I honestly don't see how having the technical know-how to do things on a PC gets you any farther than on a Mac.

1. How many people actually try to resell their computers?
2. For offices, I think cost plays a much bigger role, not to mention compatibility. Windows is already embedded in most companies and it is much cheaper to replace pc's as they break, then to start over with macs.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
Forgot to add to my story the reason the guy borrowed that machine was , his Mac was in the shop, and since ONLY Apple could repair it, was gonna take like 2 weeks ...

how true is this?!?
I mean, if god forbid my dvd drive fails on my pc because I burned 4k discs on it, 25.00 gets me another oem dvd burner on newegg.
If my harddrive or motherboard fails on my 10 year old dell, replace what is broken.
How do you replace the memory on a mac laptop? Is it even possible?

W

watcher64

how true is this?!?
I mean, if god forbid my dvd drive fails on my pc because I burned 4k discs on it, 25.00 gets me another oem dvd burner on newegg.
If my harddrive or motherboard fails on my 10 year old dell, replace what is broken.
How do you replace the memory on a mac laptop? Is it even possible?

Yeah no kidding, I have a friend that works for an "Authorized" Apple repair center, this guy brings in a Mac, with a 500gb sata drive with the apple logo on it, not sure which model he said it was, and it was like $300 from Apple, the same model of drive without the "Logo" was $79 from New Egg.

The machine was out of warranty, but the guy HAD TO HAVE the one with the logo. Craaaazzzzyyyy ....

katiepea

Apr 28, 2010
Los Angeles
I build hackintoshs for a living in hollywood. I can build the entry level mac pro with identical specs for $700, including 22"lcd. The entry level mac pro is $2400 without a display, same specs and parts. fanboys don't understand that apple uses the almost same parts as other people now that they're using intel.

Blindly following anything is dangerous. I've owned 2 iphones, macbooks, imacs, all of it. When apple showed their hand with the app store policies I bailed.

5noc

Aug 3, 2010
I'm tired of arguing with people who comes to my store asking for the iPhone 4 with words, ¡I want a sword!