[GUIDE][ICS]How to root stock

Search This thread

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
7VT7O.jpg

presents....

A guide to root the new ICS UVLH5 firmware update.
This guide will try and make it very easy to root your stock firmware for those of you who are having
problems or don't want to wait for a stock rooted rom :D
anyways here goes the step by step assuming that you have a Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4g T769 and are on ICS
UVLH5 firmware.

Before anything of course you'll need the files and here they are:
ClockWorkMod Recovery
Blaze Pit
Odin 1.8.5 Zip
SuperUser Zip

After downloading all the files first move the Superuser.zip to the root of your sdcard..not internal sdcard but the removable one. Then unzip the Odin zip and once unzipped:

Step 1:
  1. Run Odin 1.85.exe, and prepare Odin:
  2. Check "auto-reboot", and uncheck all other options.
  3. Click PDA and select the TAR for clockworkdmod you downloaded. Click PIT and select the Blaze PIT your downloaded.
  4. DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU HAVE REPARTITION UNCHECKED

Step 2:
  1. Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Reinsert the battery.
  4. Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down
  5. Then while holding the voume keys plug in USB cable
  6. You should now be in Download Mode

Step 3:
Make Sure repartition is still unchecked and click START in Odin.

Step 4:
When done the phone will reboot to the OS after this you have to reboot to recovery, here are a few ways.
1. adb command: adb reboot recovery
2. volume combo.
a. turn off phone.
b. hold volume + and volume -
c. while holding the volume buttons hold the power button for 10 seconds
d. after the 10 seconds release power button but keep holding volume buttons until you get into CWM recovery

Step 5:
Flash the SuperUser zip file

Step 6:
Reboot to System

Step 7:
Check whether root took or not.

Step 8:
If it did come back here and click thanks :D

Credits:
CWM (shabbypenguin)
Odin 1.8.5 (k0nane)
SuperUser (chainfire)
Hosting (gfx.myst)
TFQ ( cus we here to help :p)

Animosity

May 15, 2012
Wait I did this a little earlier and I didn't flash the pit. Will this cause any problems down the road?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using xda app-developers app

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
Do we need to update via kies first?

Yes or use the tar file a user uploaded around here a bit earlier.

Wait I did this a little earlier and I didn't flash the pit. Will this cause any problems down the road?

If it flashed fine then I don't think it'll cause you any problems down the road.

xWolf13

Jul 6, 2012
Can I do this on Mac?

Cirkustanz

May 5, 2010
I had used the first stock root posted here, but didn't bother updating it to the minor patch that was released. I updated to ICS using Kies, knowing that I would lose root, and since my phone was rooted I was half expecting it to not work.

Well it did, and it almost worked too well. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't even lose any apps or settings in the process. I lost root of course, although surprisingly superuser is still loaded on the phone. (I've confirmed the phone is not still rooted)

Anyways, my memory is a bit foggy, but doing this process is a total wipe on the phone right? I might even prefer that.

jparnell8839

Jul 18, 2012
Tunnel Hill, GA
I had used the first stock root posted here, but didn't bother updating it to the minor patch that was released. I updated to ICS using Kies, knowing that I would lose root, and since my phone was rooted I was half expecting it to not work.

Well it did, and it almost worked too well. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't even lose any apps or settings in the process. I lost root of course, although surprisingly superuser is still loaded on the phone. (I've confirmed the phone is not still rooted)

Anyways, my memory is a bit foggy, but doing this process is a total wipe on the phone right? I might even prefer that.

The first couple boots will be laggy. That's the nature with any rom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using xda app-developers app

Foxhoundz

Aug 22, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I wish I read this thread sooner.

Here's my situation:

I had a rooted Gingerbread stock ROM that I upgraded to the official ICS update using Kies. I then used the same ODIN method to root the phone and now it won't boot up past the "Samsung Galaxy S" loading screen. Any ideas on where to go from here? I'm afraid if I do anything else haphazardly, I would only be digging myself deeper into this hole.

Thank you!

Sleeps17

Jun 25, 2010
You flashed a GB kernel on ICS. If I were you, I would flash a GB .tar using Odin (unless you can find an ICS .tar somewhere?). Then, boot into recovery and wipe system and data, because you'll see a blue ICS menu flickering in the background upon booting up into the GB phone setup screen. At least, that is what happened to me. Then, upgrade to ICS using Kies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    7VT7O.jpg

presents....

A guide to root the new ICS UVLH5 firmware update.
    This guide will try and make it very easy to root your stock firmware for those of you who are having
    problems or don't want to wait for a stock rooted rom :D
    anyways here goes the step by step assuming that you have a Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4g T769 and are on ICS
    UVLH5 firmware.

Before anything of course you'll need the files and here they are:
    ClockWorkMod Recovery
    Blaze Pit
    Odin 1.8.5 Zip
    SuperUser Zip

After downloading all the files first move the Superuser.zip to the root of your sdcard..not internal sdcard but the removable one. Then unzip the Odin zip and once unzipped:

Step 1:
    1. Run Odin 1.85.exe, and prepare Odin:
    2. Check "auto-reboot", and uncheck all other options.
    3. Click PDA and select the TAR for clockworkdmod you downloaded. Click PIT and select the Blaze PIT your downloaded.
    4. DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU HAVE REPARTITION UNCHECKED

Step 2:
    1. Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
    2. Remove the battery.
    3. Reinsert the battery.
    4. Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down
    5. Then while holding the voume keys plug in USB cable
    6. You should now be in Download Mode

Step 3:
    Make Sure repartition is still unchecked and click START in Odin.

Step 4:
    When done the phone will reboot to the OS after this you have to reboot to recovery, here are a few ways.
    1. adb command: adb reboot recovery
    2. volume combo.
    a. turn off phone.
    b. hold volume + and volume -
    c. while holding the volume buttons hold the power button for 10 seconds
    d. after the 10 seconds release power button but keep holding volume buttons until you get into CWM recovery

Step 5:
    Flash the SuperUser zip file

Step 6:
    Reboot to System

Step 7:
    Check whether root took or not.

Step 8:
    If it did come back here and click thanks :D

Credits:
    CWM (shabbypenguin)
    Odin 1.8.5 (k0nane)
    SuperUser (chainfire)
    Hosting (gfx.myst)
    TFQ ( cus we here to help :p)
    Because I can lol
    So then be helpful and not sarcastic. As I said, I know how to use a search tool. I am not going to apologize for not knowing to look up "flashable update." This is a community, where people are bound to ask questions. If you do not want to assist, dont bother posting or responding. I am grateful for your aid.

FIRST RULE OF XDA IS SEARCH BEFORE ASKING. You broke it. He was being nice about it. I won't.

So he was right. Over 5 million members. Over 400 looking at the Blaze right now. We try to use Self moderation.
    I just tried to root my Blaze and now after Odin finished (and seemingly everything went well) my phone is stuck at the welcome page (where it says what phone it is).
    I´m not sure what to do now.

And 2:
    In case everything goes well. How can I flash superuser.zip?
    It just says flash. Will I see what to do or are there more exact instructions how to that somewhere?

Thank you for help!
    Once in recovery mode with CWM, select the option "install zip from sd card" By using the volume keys to go up and down and the power button to select. Then select "chose zip from sd card", and then find the superuser file that you put on the sd card.
    That is basically how you flash something using CWM.
    Hey this might be a very dumb question, but I first used the 4/29 root method that was only for GB but had ICS installed on the Blaze ended up with a pass, but doesnt reboot stuck on the "Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G Exclusively by tmobile" loads the blue line all the way, but doesnt go thru stays stuck there. then i wiped cache and factory reset still didnt work tried it a multiple times, then went onto ICS root (saw it late) tried it got CWM to work but still doesnt reboot stuck at the same point, I have Wiped everything, but havent done anything else :
    If I understand correctly, you flashed boot.img from GB to the boot partition? Now, when you follow rooting procedure for ICS, it only writes CWM onto recovery partition, which means that you still have old "incorrect" boot partition. What you should do is flash new boot.img from ICS to your phone with ODIN. I will try to find an on-line storage site and put a new tarred boot.img for you to flash with Odin.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Ok, download ICS_boot.tar from here, and install with Odin. As always, do not forget to uncheck re-partition.

I cannot guarantee that it will work, but in the worst case, you will not hrd-brick your phone.