Nexus 10 vs Note 10.1 (Poll and Opinions)

Nexus 10 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1?

• Nexus 10

Votes: 151 68.3%
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Votes: 70 31.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

friend'scatdied

May 14, 2009
I'm impressed with these results. Glad to see an appreciable number of individuals preferring functionality/features over raw performance.

Besides resolution, specs on Android devices are pretty superfluous. All the graphically-intensive computation-hungry apps (read: games) are for iOS, not for Android. Android has too much fragmentation, pushing app developers to cater to a low common denominator. S4 Pro and Qualcomm 600/800 and Exynos 5 won't mean much for a while, and by then we'll have something better anyways.

I do think the resolution of the Note 10.1 is a bit disappointing but one of my co-workers has it and likes it a lot for the feature set.

TheJerf01

Jan 17, 2013
I have also been looking into the Nexus 10. Right now there just seem to be so many new option popping up everyday its hard to decide.
I love the Nexus 7 I had one for about a month before my g/f decided to spill tea on it, now I am thinking the larger 10 might be a better buy.

lawman21c

Oct 8, 2011
Nexus 10. High resolution provides eye candy. I don't like amoled.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
I'm glad eye candy is the most important thing for you. For anyone getting work done it doesn't matter at all.
But, you've never seen work look so good until you've tried it on a 2560x1600 screen :p

I would personally opt for the Nexus 10. I got a Galaxy Tab 2 recently, and was not too impressed with Touchwiz, nor the process to get another ROM. Then again, this is just me. I mainly went for a N10 for the specs.

Reactions: GETCASHMONEY

GETCASHMONEY

Jun 4, 2012
But, you've never seen work look so good until you've tried it on a 2560x1600 screen :p

I would personally opt for the Nexus 10. I got a Galaxy Tab 2 recently, and was not too impressed with Touchwiz, nor the process to get another ROM. Then again, this is just me. I mainly went for a N10 for the specs.

Haha I had a nexus 10 before but I sold it for the note 10.1 after I tried it out and was amazed. The nexus 10 is great for entertainment but I enjoy tbe the note 10.1 far more overall.

hatchna

Oct 5, 2007
Utah
I have the Nexus 10, and absolutely love it. Best portable device I've ever owned. I recently tinkered with the Note 10.1 at Costco, just to get a feel for it. I do not like Touchwiz, at all. I feel like it's very clumsy compared to AOSP. All in all I used the 10.1 for about 30 minutes, used the s-pen and different features, but came away unimpressed. In my opinion, the Nexus 10 is far superior, and not just because the screen is 1000% better on the Nexus 10.

As far as UI goes, I have made the mistake of buying an HTC phone twice. Most recently I bought the Rezound, and it took an eternity for an AOSP rom to become available for it. Never again. There is not one manufacturer UI, that is better than AOSP. I got stuck with Sense for about 8-9 months before we got working CM9 on it. CM10 and 10.1 are still problematic. It was a pain to unlock and get s-off on it. Whenever possible, I will buy Nexus solely for the ease of root, custom ROMs, and full control of my device.

If you value ease of customization, and unlocking the device to other ROMs, there is no substitute for a Nexus device.

friend'scatdied

May 14, 2009
I have the Nexus 10, and absolutely love it. Best portable device I've ever owned. I recently tinkered with the Note 10.1 at Costco, just to get a feel for it. I do not like Touchwiz, at all. I feel like it's very clumsy compared to AOSP. All in all I used the 10.1 for about 30 minutes, used the s-pen and different features, but came away unimpressed. In my opinion, the Nexus 10 is far superior, and not just because the screen is 1000% better on the Nexus 10.

As far as UI goes, I have made the mistake of buying an HTC phone twice. Most recently I bought the Rezound, and it took an eternity for an AOSP rom to become available for it. Never again. There is not one manufacturer UI, that is better than AOSP. I got stuck with Sense for about 8-9 months before we got working CM9 on it. CM10 and 10.1 are still problematic. It was a pain to unlock and get s-off on it. Whenever possible, I will buy Nexus solely for the ease of root, custom ROMs, and full control of my device.

If you value ease of customization, and unlocking the device to other ROMs, there is no substitute for a Nexus device.

How do you use your tablet?

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
I'm impressed with these results. Glad to see an appreciable number of individuals preferring functionality/features over raw performance.

Besides resolution, specs on Android devices are pretty superfluous. All the graphically-intensive computation-hungry apps (read: games) are for iOS, not for Android. Android has too much fragmentation, pushing app developers to cater to a low common denominator. S4 Pro and Qualcomm 600/800 and Exynos 5 won't mean much for a while, and by then we'll have something better anyways.

I do think the resolution of the Note 10.1 is a bit disappointing but one of my co-workers has it and likes it a lot for the feature set.

Your argument makes no sense. Effectively you're saying that a person may as well get the Note, as you can play any app on it anyway and the better spec of the N10 isn't necessary.

Thing is, by that same logic why WOULDN'T you get the N10? The Note is weak hardware wise, costs about the same (in the UK at least) and you can do everything you can do on it on the N10 too... just quicker and at a better resolution?

"but what about multiview, and the s-pen?" Gimics. Pure and simple. This as opposed to the future upgradability of the N10, which is anything but. Very few people are buying a £300 device to last only a few months. If you want to be running Android 5 the day it is released, followed by 5.1, 5.2, 6.0 - or whatever else comes along... there is only one choice.

Reactions: glensta

friend'scatdied

May 14, 2009
Your argument makes no sense. Effectively you're saying that a person may as well get the Note, as you can play any app on it anyway and the better spec of the N10 isn't necessary.

Thing is, by that same logic why WOULDN'T you get the N10? The Note is weak hardware wise, costs about the same (in the UK at least) and you can do everything you can do on it on the N10 too... just quicker and at a better resolution?

"but what about multiview, and the s-pen?" Gimics. Pure and simple. This as opposed to the future upgradability of the N10, which is anything but. Very few people are buying a £300 device to last only a few months. If you want to be running Android 5 the day it is released, followed by 5.1, 5.2, 6.0 - or whatever else comes along... there is only one choice.

I hate it when people start off with "you're an idiot" or "that doesn't make any sense" because (beyond being rude and poisonous etiquette) such remarks tend to reflect that the respondent doesn't really understand the original post or blinded by bias (or both).

It's called "good enough." It's somewhat of an issue with Android devices since the software still needs to catch up with the hardware. There's not a game or program out at this point in time that can run well on the Nexus 10 but not the Note 10.1 for hardware specifications, and this will probably be the case until well into the life of the next Nexus tablet.

And as for bias, the pen may certainly not be useful to you. Fortunately you're not representative of the people that are considering between the Nexus 10 and Note 10.1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reckless187

hatchna

Oct 5, 2007
Utah
How do you use your tablet?

I use my Nexus for everything I used my laptop for. Word processing, web browsing, light gaming, note taking, etc. I didn't expect my tablet to be a laptop replacement, but I find myself using my laptop less and less. I find that I'm able to do work on my Nexus 10 with relative ease. I'm not downing the Note 10.1. I'm sure it's great for those who use it, but for me, there is no comparison whether it be with content consumption, or productivity, I would choose the Nexus 10 every time.

Blown 89

Aug 10, 2010
The "pure Google" thing is getting funny. What could possibly be better about having less features rather than more?
Reliability. I'm not sure if it's Touchwiz or Samsung's drivers but their tablets are horribly buggy and lag to the point of not being able to use them some times. Waiting for the keyboard to catch up grew tiresome and the constant app/widget crashes on Touchwiz drove me mad. Switching to pure Google devices was the best thing I ever did. I wish I had things like multi-view but reliability and usability are better trade-offs IMO.

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
I hate it when people start off with "you're an idiot" or "that doesn't make any sense" because (beyond being rude and poisonous etiquette) such remarks tend to reflect that the respondent doesn't really understand the original post or blinded by bias (or both).

It's called "good enough." It's somewhat of an issue with Android devices since the software still needs to catch up with the hardware. There's not a game or program out at this point in time that can run well on the Nexus 10 but not the Note 10.1 for hardware specifications, and this will probably be the case until well into the life of the next Nexus tablet.

And as for bias, the pen may certainly not be useful to you. Fortunately you're not representative of the people that are considering between the Nexus 10 and Note 10.1.

I'm not saying you're an idiot I'm saying your argument doesn't make sense, which is a statement of fact. I'm not sure you can say I don't understand your argument as I summed it up in my last post. You can accuse me of bias, and to be fair I probably am. I have a N10 and love it. Considering you're (presumably) in the same position with your Note 10.1 though, this seems a somewhat irrelevant.

I'll give you one right now: andftp. The app is an SFTP client. Because SSH uses very computationally intensive encryption, it is extremely CPU intensive. Consequently transfer rates are triple on my N10 what they were on my S3. I'll give you another in case you call that a one-off: Watching HD flash streams. Because Flash isn't hardware accelerated, you need a lot of CPU power for high bitrate/resolution streams. I can play the HD links on BBC iPlayer's desktop site fine on my N10, I tried the same on my friends Note 2 and it was about 7fps and stopped to buffer every 30 seconds.

I maintain that your argument is nonsensical. You acknowledge yourself that the software (that both tablets share) needs to "catch-up", so surely the tablet the next version of the software is being written for is the one to buy? The day Android 5 comes out it will be available for the N10. You'll be lucky if the Note 10.1 has it by this time next year. You are effectively saying "The software needs to get better, so buy the tablet where it won't".

Fundamentally, it comes down to this: For around the same price, you can either A) Buy a tablet which is completely capable (if a little bit old-hat) today, comes with a nice pen feature, but will be outdated in both hardware and software terms within 6 months. OR B) Buy a tablet that is state-of-the-art today, will still be in 6 months, and will be bang up-to-date software wise even come 2015.

Errr.... How am I not be representative of people making that choice? The Note10.1 was available when I ordered my N10?!? :confused:

friend'scatdied

May 14, 2009
I'm not saying you're an idiot I'm saying your argument doesn't make sense, which is a statement of fact.

And I maintain that your counter is a strawman argument.

First of all, when I mean "software" I mean the applications, not the operating system -- that's probably a key misunderstanding you have of my point. Android made a HUGE jump with Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean since Gingerbread, and has been iterating ever since. The Galaxy Nexus release was momentous thanks to 4.0. The Nexus 4 reception, from an OS standpoint, was lukewarm at best. This doesn't even take into account the paltry penetration of 4.1 (let alone 4.2).

I'm not sure what's wrong with your friend's Note 2 but I haven't had to deal with laggy flash streams since my Galaxy Nexus. Not that Flash is really relevant -- not sure how you can advocate being cutting-edge and mention flash in the same arguments. If anything your andFTP example, if true, is meaningful since it demonstrates some of the real-world advantages the Nexus 10 hardware can get you. If the individual considering both the Nexus 10 and Note 10.1 is a power user who uses andFTP pretty frequently, then obviously the Nexus 10 would win that point of comparison.

I'm saying that if the Note 10.1 isn't even in the running for you because you consider the S-Pen feature to be a useless gimmick, that's not particularly helpful to the people who are considering both devices and potentially taking the S-Pen into consideration. I don't think you've given the Note 10.1 a fair trial to be able to lambast it. You seem to be suggesting that there is no reason anyone should get the Note 10.1 over the Nexus 10 and I disagree completely -- but that does not mean I'm saying the converse.

At the risk of further misinterpretation, let me condense and simplify my argument for you:

Sometimes performance isn't everything.

Last edited:

AngDR01D

Jan 26, 2013
Laguna hills

I agree. Besides, I am pretty sure that the multi view, in the near futurecould be ported to the nexus 10. I love the speed of my nexus 10 beats all other tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

friend'scatdied

May 14, 2009
This as opposed to the future upgradability of the N10, which is anything but. Very few people are buying a £300 device to last only a few months.

I'm also going ahead and pointing this out as erroneous. The numbers completely disagree with you. The low market penetration for 4.1+ devices and the comically low sales of Nexus devices relative to fire-and-forget products such as those from Samsung, Motorola and HTC indicate that many people are indeed buying products that won't have long-term software support. The Kindle Fire has almost 4x the market share as the Nexus tablets do which is pretty depressing once you think about it. Even the Samsung Galaxy tablets have over twice the market share of the Nexus tablets.

Last edited:

hatchna

Oct 5, 2007
Utah
You are obviously biased against against the Nexus 10. Why are you trying so hard to defend the Note 10.1 on a Nexus 10 forum? I don't make decisions based on the opinions of fanboys. Mine was made after a hands on comparison between the Nexus 10 and Note 10.1. I felt, and still feel that the Nexus provided the better user experience for what I do on it.

For me the Nexus has it all. A great user experience, state of the art specs, easily rootable by design, and software updates before anything else. Why would I want to settle for what would for me be a lesser device?

GETCASHMONEY

Jun 4, 2012
All i can say is that there is no reason anyone can say that the n10 is better for productivity. Ill give you YouTube and angry birds advantage maybe, but not what the note is built for. Also, anyone who says multi window is a joke obviously hasn't used it or doesn't do serious multitasking. Have you never done tthat on a laptop? I'm not biased btw, I have owned both. Convinced a friend to buy the nexus 10 actually, but if you are looking for a laptop replacement you can't beat the note.

Reactions: Arun01

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    no stupid Samsung UI.

The "pure Google" thing is getting funny. What could possibly be better about having less features rather than more? Back in the days of 512K of RAM when SoCs were slow and overlays crude, poor performance drove people to AOSP/AOKP and de-bloated custom ROMs. That's not really the case anymore. The h/w is now more capable than the UI and apps running on it.

I played with a friend’s N10 over the holidays and, feature wise, it was a barren wasteland compared to the Note. The phone UI on a 10" tablet is bizarre. Similarly he was amazed at what the Note could do that his N10 couldn't. The N10 has a faster SoC than the Note but when you factor in the PPI it's pushing and that memory bandwidth is hard-partitioned to support the display it's certainly not any faster. And with app incompatibility because of the resolution some apps behave poorly or don’t work at all.

The Note has IO accessories available to match the N10's ports, takes up to a 64GB exFAT SD card for expansion, has an IR port, larger speakers than the N10, and gets significantly better battery life and charges 1/3 faster. It also doesn't have light bleed. ;) Without question the N10 will get updates ten times faster than the Note. But so what, it'll still do 1/3 of the things the Note can do right now. It'll just be Google's barren OS with updates. I've disabled Google Now because I don't use any of their native apps that it depends on to harvest data and for some reason it thinks I work at a McDonalds because I stop at one frequently. As a value-priced consumption device with a great display the N10's a solid choice. For people interested in creating and managing content the Note's a better choice. Its 147PPI display is fine for pics and videos and doesn't require upscaling like the N10's display does. It's obviously not as good for text and computer generated content like the UI and that's a compromise you have to make to get the additional features. So for people looking for something beyond consumption I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Note. It's already sold 5MM units and I'd be surprised based on its limited distribution if the N10's sold 1MM.

OP, if the things in this video mean anything to you consider the Note. If all you care about is consumption and the display the N10's a better choice.

Got them both right here!

Nexus is way better - the screen is awesome!!

Note 10.1 will be returned

I hate such a floating replies that tend to be lies , give reasons , proves or any thing, you are not helping here
    First thing you'll notice is the screen on the N10 is miles better than the Note 10.1.

The Note's display is brighter and with better contrast. Watching video at 720P content looks better on the Note because it's displayed in its native resolution. At 1080P the Note's playing below its native resolution while the N10's still upscaling. And no content exists in the N10's native resolution of 2560 x 1600 so everything needs to be upscaled. Here's an interesting article on the value of super high definition displays on mobile devices. On text and computer generated content like the UI, the N10 runs circles around the Note. Everything else, not so much for the reasons given. And at 15" away the human eye can't resolve anything higher than 229 PPI so anything above that just taxes the processor and chews up battery needlessly.

When it comes to 1080p on a smartphone, he admits that it might not matter for the most casual users. "For some people, it is possible to tell the difference if we were to sit down and study a [1080p] display and a [720p] display, side-by-side," he said in a phone interview with Ars. "If you’re really a fanatic and you study images, or you have some professional applications and you’re really into displays, then it may make a visual difference for you."

For most people, though, it won't matter. Photos are inherently fuzzy, so it won’t matter whether they’re viewed on a 1920×1080 or 1280×720 smartphone display; you’ll still see their imperfections. "Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel," Dr. Soneira explained in a follow-up e-mail. "The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display." Videos are even worse: not only are they fuzzy like photographs, but the pictures are constantly moving. Even if the images were sharp, the human brain couldn’t zero in on content that’s appearing for only a fraction of a second on such a small display. "For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920×1080 is really not going to make a visual difference," adds Dr. Soneira.

Where a 1080p smartphone display could really make an impact is with computer-generated content—that is, the user interface, buttons, and text. "Only computer-generated images make full use of the pixel resolution of the display," says Dr. Soneira. "For graphics and text, maybe you want that kind of sharpness." Like desktop computers, smartphone displays can also utilize sub-pixel rendering, which helps improve the visual sharpness of computer-generated graphics.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/1080p-on-a-smartphone-screencan-it-possibly-matter/

8195655878_5d0d86c71a.jpg

Plus the faster CPU, and they're both Samsung, why would anybody choose a Note 10.1 instead? Only the stylus. So make that your pivot question. Do you need a stylus or not.

Loaded with apps the N10 and Note perform about the same. Any additional power Exynos 5 has is consumed by pushing the enormous amount of pixels the N10 has. And based on comments in the N10 and Note forum’s, the Note’s built better. Samsung makes $200 and $700 devices. To say they are both the same because their “Samsung” doesn’t account for the component and assembly differences. The Note’s dual speakers are 1/3 larger than the N10’s for example.

To say that the difference between the Note and N10 comes down to a pen isn’t really a fair assessment. Other than multi-user I can’t think of a single feature the N10 has that’s unique or that’s not included in the Note. Whereas as vice versa the list is pretty long.

- Multiview (enhanced in JB)
    - Pop up play
    - S-Pen/S-Note
    - AllShare Play and Cast
    - Enhanced camera features (smile/face/blink detection, buddy shot)
    - Mini apps (enhanced in JB)
    - Enhanced audio and video codec support
    - IR port
    - Browser h/w acceleration
    - S-Voice (added in JB)
    - Air View (added in JB)
    - Group Cast (added in JB)
    - Quick Commands
    - Voice control of apps and screen unlock

Video Air View – Preview videos without opening them. View future/past scenes in a playing video via the timeline without stopping it.

Photo Air View – Pictures contained in folders will display in thumbnails when you hover over the folder. They advance nine at a time.

E-Mail Air View – Hover the pen over a heading or contents of an e-mail summary (including via the widget) to see an exploded view of the contents without opening it.

S-Planner Air View – Hover the pen over an event or task to see an exploded view without opening it.

Pop Up Note – Tap the screen twice with the S-Pen button depressed and a pop up note will be displayed. Even on the lock screen when the device is locked. On the N8000, if you’re in a call and remove the S-Pen from its holder, a pop up note automatically opens.

Easy Clip – Capture anything on the display (lasso) anywhere and save it to the clipboard or send it an application (including S-Note).

Draw/Write on an e-mail – As it says.

Draw/Write in S-Planner – As it says (Month View only)

Color Picker – In S-Note, set the ink color to a color selected from a picture.

Pen Switch – Select multiple pen types (color, texture, weight) and toggle through them without opening the menu by pressing the button on the S-Pen once.

Sketch Affect – Change any picture to an outline, color sketch, pencil sketch and more from within S-Note.

Share S-Notes – Convert S-Notes to plain text, PDFs, or pictures and share them via Facebook etc. in one step.

Photo Note – Write personal notes on the back of photos

Gallery Organizer – Create folders and drag and drop pictures between them.​

While all that stuff’s great, I’ll say this. For people that are only looking for consumption it makes no sense to pay more for the Note and its lower PPI display. In fact, to get the most out of it, there’s a learning curve to the Note. And all those features just add complexity and get in the way for people that don’t intend to use them. But, for productivity users and content creators, there’s nothing that can match the Note no matter how much third party crap users or the devs try to ladle on top of other devices. I'm a productivity user and would only get rid of my Note for a Note with a FHD display (and I'd prefer 1920x1200). In fact, because of the above features, I dumped my Teg3 One X and got a N2 so I could have them on my phone too.

Everyone uses their devices differently so their is no single answer to "what's best?" I recommend the N10 to more people than I recommend the Note primarily because it's a better pure consumption device and cheaper too. I also recommend iStuff to my friends who think technology is nothing but a means to an end and like to have their content spoon fed to them. Different strokes. ;)

P.S. - All the Note's features were cut and pasted from this 35 page thread in the Note forum. Those deciding between the two devices might find some interesting info there including comments from people who have owned both.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952512&highlight=n10
    All right, I also wanted to point out that the Note 10.1 is a production device.. so let's look at some of the possible results.

http://imgur.com/a/6gRyH

So, the notes are made on LectureNotes, and the drawing is from LectureNotes then modified a bit with Photoshop on the Note. I'm pretty sure my note taking has gotten better as LectureNotes has been updated, but I don't want to reveal too much of my stuff so I usually keep to this set that I made like a month or two ago.
    Thank you all for your responses. I posted this thread link in the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 general section. My decision is going to be based on the helpful and persuasive posts, the outcome of the poll, and my opinion too :). Also, more opinions are welcomed in this thread :).Thanks.

PS: Those who posted helpful posts and didn't get a thanks, will get one tomorrow because I am only allowed 8 thanks a day.

OK, I have owned both the n10 and the note. Heard the bad reviews of the note so never considered it. Picked up the n10 at launch, really liked it especially the screen, but battery life wasn't great and after a few weeks I felt like I wasted money because it couldn't do as much as even my phone could.

Anyways, one day I was at sams club, and decided to play with the tablets. Picked up the note thinking, let's see how crappy this really is. I was surprised how quick it was, quicker than my n10 (especially while scrolling). Then I pulled out the pen and started trying out different features. I was floored. Called my wife, told her I was selling the n10. Bought a note the next day, and been in love with it since. Its probably changed my life as much as my first smartphone, due to the amazing productivity features like multi window. In all honesty its better than my nice Samsung laptop in almost every way, I only use that when I absolutely have to.

Trust me, the screen is still great as others have said. Text doesn't look as good, but still fine. That is such a small part of the tablet experience to me that I don't care. The better speakers are awesome, as is the excellent screen contrast. You may not think you will use the s pen, but I use it almost all the time, even if I'm not taking notes.

One final thing. While you wont get updates as quickly, know that samsung does an amazing job adding their own unique features when catching up. They usually call it the premium suite. Many of these upgrades actually include significant features not even found in new android os versions. Keep that in mind. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app